Black Beard

Default Wood ????

My freind told me that I should not add wood strait to my cooker. He
said that it is better to burn it down a little to hot coals before
adding it into the cooker. Which one is better? Have I been doing it
wrong all of these years?
Pierre

Black Beard wrote:
> My freind told me that I should not add wood strait to my cooker. He
> said that it is better to burn it down a little to hot coals before
> adding it into the cooker. Which one is better? Have I been doing it
> wrong all of these years?

Although recommended by purists to burn first, I add good wood straight
to the fire. Pre-heat wouldn't hurt. . .place an unlit log on top of
your fire box, usually starts quicker.
My guests don't complain, as they're too busy eating!

Pierre

Edwin Pawlowski

<Black Beard> wrote in message
news
> My freind told me that I should not add wood strait to my cooker. He
> said that it is better to burn it down a little to hot coals before
> adding it into the cooker. Which one is better? Have I been doing it
> wrong all of these years?

Traditional North Carolina style is burning to coals. Others use straight
wood. a lot depends on the equipment you use. Most of the small smokers are
designed for charcoal and don't burn the logs well resulting in creosote
flavored bbq. Some people never learn fire control. Many possibilities
depending on your skills and willingness to tend the cooker. Some people
think it should be easy line an oven. They usually make crap.

Piedmont

Black Beard wrote:
> My freind told me that I should not add wood strait to my cooker. He
> said that it is better to burn it down a little to hot coals before
> adding it into the cooker. Which one is better? Have I been doing it
> wrong all of these years?

If you have been doing something for years, and you are happy with the
results, I wouldn't worry about your friends advice.

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Mark

yes you should burn it down to glowing coals first

Mark

<Black Beard> wrote in message
news
> My freind told me that I should not add wood strait to my cooker. He
> said that it is better to burn it down a little to hot coals before
> adding it into the cooker. Which one is better? Have I been doing it
> wrong all of these years?

Brick

On 30-Jan-2005, Black Beard wrote:

> My freind told me that I should not add wood strait to my cooker. He
> said that it is better to burn it down a little to hot coals before
> adding it into the cooker. Which one is better? Have I been doing it
> wrong all of these years?

Assuming 'your way' works for you, then you are hardly wrong. Putting
fresh wood on a fire is frought with the probablility of creating some
creosote or bitter smoke. However, many people including myself do it
all the time with good results. If there is a secret to it, it's that you
dare
not add fresh wood to a very low fire. There has to be enough remaining
heat to burn the fumes generated by fresh wood. I realize that you already
know this Black Beard, but some newbies will likely read this and they
need to know what it's all about.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Is old wood good wood? Bruce K. Barbecue 3 31-10-2013 11:51 PM
Aspen Wood Dave Toso Barbecue 0 12-08-2005 04:57 PM
Wood question Tranch749 Barbecue 7 02-08-2004 09:56 PM
Pizza - What wood to use webkatz Barbecue 6 31-07-2004 07:56 AM
Wet or Dry Wood? Stephen Russell Barbecue 19 13-05-2004 01:46 AM