Stephen Russell

Default Wet or Dry Wood?

My mail reader has a time limit and I lost references on wet/dry wood for
smoking.

Can someone explain it agin please. I need to show my friend.

TIA

__Stephen

Duwop

Stephen Russell wrote:
> My mail reader has a time limit and I lost references on wet/dry wood
> for smoking.
>
> Can someone explain it agin please. I need to show my friend.

Here ya go, the usenet archive:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...group=alt.food.
barbecue>

Dave Bugg

Stephen Russell wrote:

> My mail reader has a time limit and I lost references on wet/dry wood
> for smoking.
>
> Can someone explain it agin please. I need to show my friend.

Wet wood = smoldering, incomplete combustion and creosote covered meat. It
is a BAAAAADDDD thing.

Dry wood = complete combustion, lighter smoke and meat that makes the angels
happy that they were created.

Wood needs to burn, not smolder. When burning wood, you want a thin, light
smoke that just trips on by and lightly kisses the meat in the pit. You
don't want smoke that latches on with a cold, clammy, clingy embrace,
covering the meat with dripping, wet kisses.
Dave

JakBQuik

"Dave Bugg" <wrote

> Wet wood = smoldering, incomplete combustion and creosote covered meat. It
> is a BAAAAADDDD thing.
>
> Dry wood = complete combustion, lighter smoke and meat that makes the

angels
> happy that they were created.
>
> Wood needs to burn, not smolder. When burning wood, you want a thin, light
> smoke that just trips on by and lightly kisses the meat in the pit. You
> don't want smoke that latches on with a cold, clammy, clingy embrace,
> covering the meat with dripping, wet kisses.
> Dave

Gee whiz Dave, that's downright poetic. With all that kissing going on,
your post reads like a BBQ-influenced bodice-ripper. You're really putting
a lot of thought into this BBQ fascination. Good advice artistically
delivered.

John in Austin

JD

"JakBQuik" > wrote in message

> "Dave Bugg" <wrote
>>
>> Wet wood = smoldering, incomplete combustion and creosote covered
>> meat. It is a BAAAAADDDD thing.
>>
>> Dry wood = complete combustion, lighter smoke and meat that makes
>> the angels happy that they were created.
>>
>> Wood needs to burn, not smolder. When burning wood, you want a thin,
>> light smoke that just trips on by and lightly kisses the meat in the
>> pit. You don't want smoke that latches on with a cold, clammy,
>> clingy embrace, covering the meat with dripping, wet kisses.
>> Dave

> Gee whiz Dave, that's downright poetic. With all that kissing going
> on, your post reads like a BBQ-influenced bodice-ripper. You're
> really putting a lot of thought into this BBQ fascination. Good
> advice artistically delivered.
>
> John in Austin

Or maybe the smoke he's sniffin'ain't exactly from burning wood<g>

JD

Dave Bugg

JD wrote:
> "JakBQuik" > wrote in message
>

>> Gee whiz Dave, that's downright poetic. With all that kissing going
>> on, your post reads like a BBQ-influenced bodice-ripper. You're
>> really putting a lot of thought into this BBQ fascination. Good
>> advice artistically delivered.
>>
>> John in Austin

> Or maybe the smoke he's sniffin'ain't exactly from burning wood<g>
>
> JD

<G> XOXOXOXOXOXO

"Stephen Russell" > wrote:
> My mail reader has a time limit and I lost references on wet/dry wood for
> smoking.
>
> Can someone explain it agin please. I need to show my friend.

First off: Save the articles that are important to you! You can also do a
Google search for old NG articles, although I don't remember how to.

For me, dry is the way to go. With citrus woods (mostly small, aged
branches), I just put them right on the hot coals. Hickory or other
chips/chunks I double wrap in aluminum foil with a few small holes poked in
it and put at the back of the fire. YMMV

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:
> Stephen Russell wrote:
>
> > My mail reader has a time limit and I lost references on wet/dry wood
> > for smoking.
> >
> > Can someone explain it agin please. I need to show my friend.

> Wet wood = smoldering, incomplete combustion and creosote covered meat.
> It is a BAAAAADDDD thing.
>
> Dry wood = complete combustion, lighter smoke and meat that makes the
> angels happy that they were created.
>
> Wood needs to burn, not smolder. When burning wood, you want a thin,
> light smoke that just trips on by and lightly kisses the meat in the pit.
> You don't want smoke that latches on with a cold, clammy, clingy embrace,
> covering the meat with dripping, wet kisses.
> Dave

Damn, Buggman. You surely are a poet!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > "JakBQuik" > wrote in message
> >

> >> Gee whiz Dave, that's downright poetic. With all that kissing going
> >> on, your post reads like a BBQ-influenced bodice-ripper. You're
> >> really putting a lot of thought into this BBQ fascination. Good
> >> advice artistically delivered.
> >>
> >> John in Austin

> > Or maybe the smoke he's sniffin'ain't exactly from burning wood<g>
> >
> > JD

> <G> XOXOXOXOXOXO

/\/\/\/\/\

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Kevin S. Wilson

On 10 May 2004 18:54:14 GMT, wrote:

>You can also do a
>Google search for old NG articles, although I don't remember how to.

1. Go to
www.google.com
2. Click on "Groups."
3. Click on "Advanced Search."
4. Specify the newsgroup if you're looking for article posted to a
particular newsgroup.
5. Supply some key words or phrases.
6. Fill in any other appropriate fields to narrow your search.
7. Click on "Google Search."

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

www.google.com
> 2. Click on "Groups."
> 3. Click on "Advanced Search."
> 4. Specify the newsgroup if you're looking for article posted to a
> particular newsgroup.
> 5. Supply some key words or phrases.
> 6. Fill in any other appropriate fields to narrow your search.
> 7. Click on "Google Search."

Thanks, Kevin. I'm sure many others know how to do this, but as I suggested
to the OP, I have saved this info.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!
Dave Bugg

wrote:

> Damn, Buggman. You surely are a poet!

:-)

M&M

On 10-May-2004, "JD" > wrote:

> Or maybe the smoke he's sniffin'ain't exactly from burning wood<g>
>
> JD

That piece of shit comment had no place in this newsgroup.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
JD

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 10-May-2004, "JD" > wrote:
>
>> Or maybe the smoke he's sniffin'ain't exactly from burning wood<g>
>>
>> JD

> That piece of shit comment had no place in this newsgroup.

Others eemed to find a little humor in it, what makes you so sensitive? Time
of the month?

JD

"M&M" > wrote:
> On 10-May-2004, "JD" > wrote:
>
> > Or maybe the smoke he's sniffin'ain't exactly from burning wood<g>
> >

> That POS comment had no place in this newsgroup.

Yer purty testy today, M&M! Lotta talk here about 4:20.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, THANK A VETERAN!

Bubba Unix Dude

"Stephen Russell" > wrote in
message ...
> My mail reader has a time limit and I lost references on wet/dry wood for
> smoking.
>
> Can someone explain it agin please. I need to show my friend.
>
> TIA
>
> __Stephen

Here's another question. I have come to appreciate using just dry wood
chunks on my WSM. When I put them on, they will still give off a pretty good
white smoke for 30 minutes or so while they burn down some. Now for the
question - What is everyone's opinion about waiting for the smoke to die
down vs. just putting the meat on right away? My first inclination is to put
on the meat on right awat to get that nice smoke flavor. Is there a reason
why I should wait? I hear Big Jim saying all the time that you only want
light blue smoke.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Duwop

Bubba Unix Dude wrote:

> Here's another question. I have come to appreciate using just dry wood
> chunks on my WSM. When I put them on, they will still give off a
> pretty good white smoke for 30 minutes or so while they burn down
> some. Now for the question - What is everyone's opinion about waiting
> for the smoke to die down vs. just putting the meat on right away? My
> first inclination is to put on the meat on right awat to get that
> nice smoke flavor. Is there a reason why I should wait? I hear Big
> Jim saying all the time that you only want light blue smoke.
>
> Thanks for your help.

If you like the results your getting, you're doing it right. The main thing
is there's no need for thick tower of smoke coming out to get the flavor
you want. A lot of beginners make that mistake is all. Doesn't sound like
you are though.
Oh yeah, another thing not mentioned much lately, smoke penetration slows
way down somewhere around the 2-3 hour mark or so. Anyway, it lessens as
time goes on, so most of the smoke flavor gets in the first hours .

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Bubba Unix Dude"
> wrote:
>
> Here's another question. I have come to appreciate using just dry wood
> chunks on my WSM. When I put them on, they will still give off a pretty good
> white smoke for 30 minutes or so while they burn down some. Now for the
> question - What is everyone's opinion about waiting for the smoke to die
> down vs. just putting the meat on right away? My first inclination is to put
> on the meat on right awat to get that nice smoke flavor. Is there a reason
> why I should wait? I hear Big Jim saying all the time that you only want
> light blue smoke.

I use foil-wrapped wood chunks and usually I put them into the coals
immediately before I put the meat on. I like lots of that 'niuce smoke
flavor', too. I am not using a pit like Jim's though-I have a Kamado #5
whch is a vertical config cooker (like your WSM)- I think Jims is a big
ol' honking offset. The two do not cook alike. It's like comparing
apples to baby wolverines.

monroe(not oranges)
Frndthdevl

>From: "M&M"

>On 10-May-2004, "JD" > wrote:
>
>> Or maybe the smoke he's sniffin'ain't exactly from burning wood<g>
>>
>> JD

>That piece of shit comment had no place in this newsgroup.
>--

Oh the outrage. To think that folk who bbq may also indulge in marijuana. And
are not so whipped down by republicrap and democrap politicans tht they have a
sense of humor. ohhhhhh, I'm so skaired. call John Asscroft. I personally find
BBQ served at 4:20 is as special as it is served with a Sierra Pale Ale.
Actually better with both. YMMV
Peace
jeff

Is old wood good wood? Bruce K. Barbecue 3 31-10-2013 11:51 PM
Aspen Wood Dave Toso Barbecue 0 12-08-2005 04:57 PM
Wood ???? Black Beard Barbecue 5 01-02-2005 02:55 AM
Wood question Tranch749 Barbecue 7 02-08-2004 09:56 PM
Pizza - What wood to use webkatz Barbecue 6 31-07-2004 07:56 AM