Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Is old wood good wood?

Found some old (10 + years) applewood chunks in my garage.

Should I use it to smoke my Thanksgiving turkey?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:01:40 -0400, Bruce K.
> wrote:

>Found some old (10 + years) applewood chunks in my garage.
>
>Should I use it to smoke my Thanksgiving turkey?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Bruce

Sure, why not? Chances are, it is older than that if you go back to
when it was a sapling.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K. View Post
Found some old (10 + years) applewood chunks in my garage.

Should I use it to smoke my Thanksgiving turkey?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
Might still be good..hard to tell. Best bet be to strike you up a little fire with charcoal burn a chunk or two and give it a smell. If it smells good thats a clue it should be fine. If it smells skunky..that is also a clue..lol. Best of fortunes on that. I burned some real old deal plum one time and it was great..same age on some free pee can and it smelled like caca. Burned a bunch of real dead standing Oak and it was iffy. Burned up fast with not much smell..but was nasty on the front end and smelled like dill pickles for some reason. Now its prob going to put out some crappy looking smoke and smells when it first ignites. Let that clear up a bit before giving it the sniff test..and if you decide to use it keep that part in mind too. On an offset you can fan the firebox door a few times when it first starts stinking.

Good Wood in Colorado Springs Paul Barbecue 3 11-03-2006 11:27 PM
Fig Wood good to smoke with ? hello Barbecue 8 04-04-2005 04:34 PM
Fig Wood good to smoke with ? hello Barbecue 0 29-03-2005 11:50 PM
Good price for wood? Gavin Barbecue 4 18-04-2004 02:55 PM
What Wood is Good? chef_rwmiller Barbecue 3 11-10-2003 09:52 PM