Skinner

Default brisket to wrap or not to wrap

wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

TFM®

Skinner wrote:
> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

It's permissable to wrap in foil when the cooking is finished. Never cook
in foil.

TFM®

JakBQuik

"TFM®" > wrote in message
> Skinner wrote:
>> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

> It's permissable to wrap in foil when the cooking is finished. Never cook
> in foil.
>
> TFM®

The Fat Man (congrats to you and yours BTW, ya'll made a lovely couple) hit
the nail on the head. Cook your brisket until done......fork twist in the
flat or 190-195, whichever is last, then wrap in foil, put in an empty ice
chest with lots of newspapers on top, and let sit for about 1-3 hours.
Plan this resting time into your serving schedule! You will be amazed!!

John in Austin

Brick

On 26-Oct-2004, "JakBQuik" > wrote:

> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> > Skinner wrote:
> >> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

> > It's permissable to wrap in foil when the cooking is finished. Never cook
> > in foil.
> >
> > TFM®

> The Fat Man (congrats to you and yours BTW, ya'll made a lovely couple) hit
> the nail on the head. Cook your brisket until done......fork twist in the
> flat or 190-195, whichever is last, then wrap in foil, put in an empty ice
> chest with lots of newspapers on top, and let sit for about 1-3 hours.
> Plan this resting time into your serving schedule! You will be amazed!!
>
> John in Austin

I suppose it's an overkill, but I wrap mine in Reynold's freezer wrap which
is plastic coated on one side. Then wrap in bath towells and finally into
the cooler. It stays warm enough to eat for at least six hours, maybe more.
I ain't saying it needs to sit that long, just that it can. Texture doesn't seem
to suffer.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

anon

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:16:29 -0500, Skinner > wrote:
> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

Put the foil INSIDE the brisket before cooking; that way you get the
best of both worlds: the tenderness of foil and the taste of foil.

Piedmont

"Skinner" > wrote in message
> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

IMHO, I say it is a shame to wrap while still cooking. If you wrap it before
it is cooked, you might as well pull it off the cooker and stick it in the
oven as you will have stopped creating any flavor that can be had with real
coals and wood smoke.

I will wrap it after it is through cooking and tuck it away in an ice chest
until the next day though. But you know, it's whatever you like! If it works
for you then thats ok.

Piedmont
"The only authentic Q is when you cut down the tree yourself, burn it to
coals, hunt down and kill your razor back, bleed it, gut, cook it!"

Piedmont

"Skinner" > wrote in message
> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

IMHO, I say it is a shame to wrap while still cooking. If you wrap it before
it is cooked, you might as well pull it off the cooker and stick it in the
oven as you will have stopped creating any flavor that can be had with real
coals and wood smoke.

I will wrap it after it is through cooking and tuck it away in an ice chest
until the next day though. But you know, it's whatever you like! If it works
for you then thats ok.

Piedmont
"The only authentic Q is when you cut down the tree yourself, burn it to
coals, hunt down and kill your razor back, bleed it, gut, cook it!"

Gus

"Skinner" > wrote in message
> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

Oh my... I have to go along with "Piedmont" in his wisdom...

"Piedmont
The only authentic Q is when you cut down the tree yourself, burn it to
coals, hunt down and kill your razor back, bleed it, gut, cook it!"

But in Gus's own ignorance he would suggest that whatever tastes good to you
will probably taste really good to everyone else. Given the choice between
tooth-hurting crust on some hunk of meat or a fork-tender brisket, the
latter seems to be the better selection.

As to orthdoxy in Q-ing, one of the finest plates of sliced brisket Gus has
encountered lately has been Qd in a huge "smoker" that was gas-fired and had
a rotisserie dealie going in it that permitted about 500 pounds of brisket
to be Q'd at one time. Had all of that nice carcinogenic black crust on it,
then a red layer, and then the gray, just like Gus gets when he smokes for a
couple of hours and then finishes off in foil.

OK, I can feel the heat coming, but fact is fact and fancy is fancy, troops!

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"Skinner" > wrote in message
> wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?

Oh my... I have to go along with "Piedmont" in his wisdom...

"Piedmont
The only authentic Q is when you cut down the tree yourself, burn it to
coals, hunt down and kill your razor back, bleed it, gut, cook it!"

But in Gus's own ignorance he would suggest that whatever tastes good to you
will probably taste really good to everyone else. Given the choice between
tooth-hurting crust on some hunk of meat or a fork-tender brisket, the
latter seems to be the better selection.

As to orthdoxy in Q-ing, one of the finest plates of sliced brisket Gus has
encountered lately has been Qd in a huge "smoker" that was gas-fired and had
a rotisserie dealie going in it that permitted about 500 pounds of brisket
to be Q'd at one time. Had all of that nice carcinogenic black crust on it,
then a red layer, and then the gray, just like Gus gets when he smokes for a
couple of hours and then finishes off in foil.

OK, I can feel the heat coming, but fact is fact and fancy is fancy, troops!

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Tyler Hopper

"Gus" > wrote in message

> "Skinner" > wrote in message
> > wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?
> >

> Oh my... I have to go along with "Piedmont" in his wisdom...
>
> "Piedmont
> The only authentic Q is when you cut down the tree yourself, burn it to
> coals, hunt down and kill your razor back, bleed it, gut, cook it!"
>
> But in Gus's own ignorance he would suggest that whatever tastes good to you
> will probably taste really good to everyone else. Given the choice between
> tooth-hurting crust on some hunk of meat or a fork-tender brisket, the
> latter seems to be the better selection.
>
> As to orthdoxy in Q-ing, one of the finest plates of sliced brisket Gus has
> encountered lately has been Qd in a huge "smoker" that was gas-fired and had
> a rotisserie dealie going in it that permitted about 500 pounds of brisket
> to be Q'd at one time. Had all of that nice carcinogenic black crust on it,
> then a red layer, and then the gray, just like Gus gets when he smokes for a
> couple of hours and then finishes off in foil.
>
> OK, I can feel the heat coming, but fact is fact and fancy is fancy, troops!
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

Gus, being in Houston you are positioned to get some of the best Tx. Q around.
Goode & Co., Luling City Market, Ole Hickory Pit, and one I can't remember but
I'm sure Pete R. will throw in.

Don't prostitute yourself to cheap assed whore Q. It ain't worth it.

--
__________
ht_redneck

For email replies, remove an l

Tyler Hopper

"Gus" > wrote in message

> "Skinner" > wrote in message
> > wrap in foil or not, that is the question. Any advise?
> >

> Oh my... I have to go along with "Piedmont" in his wisdom...
>
> "Piedmont
> The only authentic Q is when you cut down the tree yourself, burn it to
> coals, hunt down and kill your razor back, bleed it, gut, cook it!"
>
> But in Gus's own ignorance he would suggest that whatever tastes good to you
> will probably taste really good to everyone else. Given the choice between
> tooth-hurting crust on some hunk of meat or a fork-tender brisket, the
> latter seems to be the better selection.
>
> As to orthdoxy in Q-ing, one of the finest plates of sliced brisket Gus has
> encountered lately has been Qd in a huge "smoker" that was gas-fired and had
> a rotisserie dealie going in it that permitted about 500 pounds of brisket
> to be Q'd at one time. Had all of that nice carcinogenic black crust on it,
> then a red layer, and then the gray, just like Gus gets when he smokes for a
> couple of hours and then finishes off in foil.
>
> OK, I can feel the heat coming, but fact is fact and fancy is fancy, troops!
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

Gus, being in Houston you are positioned to get some of the best Tx. Q around.
Goode & Co., Luling City Market, Ole Hickory Pit, and one I can't remember but
I'm sure Pete R. will throw in.

Don't prostitute yourself to cheap assed whore Q. It ain't worth it.

--
__________
ht_redneck

For email replies, remove an l

Gus

> > "Piedmont
> > The only authentic Q is when you cut down the tree yourself, burn it to
> > coals, hunt down and kill your razor back, bleed it, gut, cook it!"

Piedmont... as I mentioned to you earlier, you hit that right smack on the
head!

Gus
> Gus, being in Houston you are positioned to get some of the best Tx. Q

around.
> Goode & Co., Luling City Market, Ole Hickory Pit, and one I can't remember

but
> I'm sure Pete R. will throw in.
>
> Don't prostitute yourself to cheap assed whore Q. It ain't worth it.
> ht_redneck

Don't know what "cheap assed whore Q" might be, but it sounds quite
tasteless...

So much for that.

Gus

Well ... Goode & Co Q is fine. However it is a bit pricey. Have not sampled
"Ole Hickory Pit" myself. Luling City Market here in Houston was OK but not
superb by any stretch of imagination... kinda "skimpy" to say the least...
One that was doggone good was that brisket from "John Wayne's BBQ" out on
Maxey Road. They do their stuff in a huge rotisserie gas-fired pit that can
handle 500 pounds of brisket at a time. Last time I was over at their place
there was a big crowd (as usual). Their brisket was a lot better than
Goode's and Luling City Market's. Had a chance to view the gas flame. Man
alive, it was a sight to behold when they revved it up. They get their
smoke by aiming that blowtorch at a stack of wood chambered there. Way more
than this old body can handle, let me tell you!

Anyway, we now have purchased our kitchen trailer and are outfitting it.
Plan to use the "foil" method to do our briskets the way WE like them. OK
with us if no one else likes them done that way except for our diners.
Kick-off date is probably the first week of January.

Been working away at refining those "dogbites" we came up with. Got 'em
mighty spicy now (plenty of pepper jack cheese, etc,) and with really
crispy-crunchy outsides. Takes some putting together, but when they are all
done the taste is worth the effort. Anyone who wants the "new" formula,
holler... Also did a re-do on what Raichlen calls "Lexington Vinegar
Sauce." He surely did put together a huge collection of Q stuff, but that
Lexington Vinegar Sauce seemed to be all vinegar and not much sauce... fixed
it up some with some extras... dark cane syrup, "Redneck Rub" (per "your
favorite BBQ rub"), some hot mustard, some "white" salad dressing, and some
butter and cornstarch so as to thicken it up a bit and make it less "runny."
Probably going to try some lemon juice next go around in place of the
vinegar, but may go 50-50 on that deal. What we did was great on pulled
pork and cole slaw on hamburger buns the other day.

Now then, I understand that any post on this newsgroup draws flak from the
nuts, but I will be happy to share with anyone who wants to have info as to
what my friends and I are doing here. Flak and nuts go together, don't
they? For the rest of us, you all have a great weekend!

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau (now "in the 2nd or 4th person" for those who don't like the 1st
or the 3d or whatever "person" they hate so much)
Houston, Texas

Gus

> [...]

it up some with some extras... dark cane syrup, "Redneck Rub" (per "your
favorite BBQ rub"), some hot mustard, some "white" salad dressing, and some
butter and cornstarch so as to thicken it up a bit and make it less "runny."
Probably going to try some lemon juice next go around in place of the
vinegar, but may go 50-50 on that deal. What we did was great on pulled
pork and cole slaw on hamburger buns the other day.

Now then, I understand that any post on this newsgroup draws flak from the
nuts, but I will be happy to share with anyone who wants to have info as to
what my friends and I are doing here. Flak and nuts go together, don't
they? For the rest of us, you all have a great weekend!

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau (now "in the 2nd or 4th person" for those who don't like the 1st
or the 3d or whatever "person" they hate so much)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nick" > wrote in message
> I see no problem with this post.
>
> About the Mayo in the sauce, though. I just don't know if I could
> bring myself to do that. I understand that there is a White Sauce that
> is served at a popular BBQ joint so it must be OK. I guess if it
> tastes good, that is what matters.

The white stuff is Big Bob Gibson's sauce. The base is mayo. He uses it on
chicken. I've had it and it is OK.

I like mayo and horseradish on cold brisket sandwiches.

Thomas Cormen

"Edwin Pawlowski" > writes:

> > About the Mayo in the sauce, though. I just don't know if I could
> > bring myself to do that. I understand that there is a White Sauce
> > that is served at a popular BBQ joint so it must be OK. I guess if
> > it tastes good, that is what matters.

> The white stuff is Big Bob Gibson's sauce. The base is mayo. He
> uses it on chicken. I've had it and it is OK.

A friend in Birmingham sent me a jar of Big Bob Gibson's white sauce
and his red sauce. I don't like either one. I especially don't like
the white sauce. It is basically salad dressing. I put it on
chicken, and it ruined the chicken.

I've never had Big Bob Gibson's Q. But I can tell you that I prefer
Bob Gibson the ex-pitcher to Bob Gibson the saucemaker.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Director, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510

cl

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Nick" > wrote in message
> > I see no problem with this post.
> >
> > About the Mayo in the sauce, though. I just don't know if I could
> > bring myself to do that. I understand that there is a White Sauce that
> > is served at a popular BBQ joint so it must be OK. I guess if it
> > tastes good, that is what matters.

> The white stuff is Big Bob Gibson's sauce. The base is mayo. He uses it on
> chicken. I've had it and it is OK.
>
> I like mayo and horseradish on cold brisket sandwiches.

Now your talking. Fresh white bread and mayo with cold brisket. I love
my horseysauce too but plain jane mayo works on the brisket for me.

....and serve a little brisket chili on the side

-CAL