Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is a wrap?

I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?

In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
"wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:37:05 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
>In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
>fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
>are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
>large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
>means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
>"wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

I'll frequently wrap with a romaine leaf, a cabbage leaf, and
hopefully this summer some red or green shiso. anything edible that
keeps my fingers dry and can hold the fillings together. An
interesting flavor or texture is a plus.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 10:37*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

I used to think that burritos always had beans in them. Such is not
the case. They always contain juvenile donkey meat which is why they
are not called burros, but rather burritos.(little donkeys)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:37:05 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy.

Messy? They come wrapped in foil. You're not supposed to unwrap them
completely to eat, peel the wrapping down as you eat it. If it's too
juicy, that's the fault of the burrito maker. Tell them to drain the
fillings better next time. Rice soaks up a lot of the juice, but I
ask for no rice in mine so proper draining is important. Of course, a
burrito shouldn't be eaten while you're wearing your "Sunday Go to
Meeting" duds either.

> By no
> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

I call Mexican "wraps" by their names - burrito or soft taco. The
rest are hit and miss if I know their names (I call gyros and falafel
sandwich by their names), back in the day we had Aram sandwiches which
were wrapped in lavosh but they were *******ized with flour tortillas
(yuck). However some don't have a name because they're invented, like
wrapping a filling with a lettuce leaf - so "wrap" works for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 7:37*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

The first wraps I encountered were made with (soft, naturally)
Armenian lavash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 18:00:10 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> The bread for wraps is thinner and lighter than your typical
> store-bought tortilla. Often not round, either. Anything you can
> make an American/Italian sandwich out of can also be a wrap if you use
> the proper bread wrap. Proper wraps are not made from tortillas wit
> the exception of a [smoked] sausage wrap, which IS usually a tortilla.
>
> A burrito or fajita is not a wrap any more than a filled wonton is a
> ravioli.

Both a wonton or a ravioli is a dumpling then? They certainly sit
together in some kind of sub-heading.

I'm not sure why a burrito isn't a wrap or how you get such an exacting
definition of their exclusion by virtue of heavier/lighter tortilla.
Seems kind of arbitrary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 17:59:21 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:37:05 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>>
>> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
>> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
>> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
>> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy.

> Messy? They come wrapped in foil. You're not supposed to unwrap them
> completely to eat, peel the wrapping down as you eat it.

Once again you prove your lack of knowledge. A wrap is indeed to be
taken out of the foil/paper put on a plate, then it should be
UNWRAPPED, then eaten with a knife and fork.

What--do I have to draw a picture!?

> If it's too juicy, that's the fault of the burrito maker. Tell them to
> drain the
> fillings better next time. Rice soaks up a lot of the juice, but I
> ask for no rice in mine so proper draining is important. Of course, a
> burrito shouldn't be eaten while you're wearing your "Sunday Go to
> Meeting" duds either.

I once went to a pizza joint across from a college Campus in the
midwest. Andancient little by-the-slice place. My buddy gets a slice of
pepperoni, I get a sandwich. When we pick up and tote it to the table,
my friend grabs some napkins and blots the standing oil off the top.
The ancient chef, Tony of course, says, "Hey, what are you doing?"
"I'm soaking up the grease." "That's not grease--that's the natural
juices!" He was outraged. I thought he was gonna kick us out.

>> By no means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
>> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

> I call Mexican "wraps" by their names - burrito or soft taco. The
> rest are hit and miss if I know their names (I call gyros and falafel
> sandwich by their names), back in the day we had Aram sandwiches which
> were wrapped in lavosh but they were *******ized with flour tortillas
> (yuck).

Bob Elliot said one of his favorite foods was his wife's special pizza.
For pizza crust she used white bread, instead of tomato sauce, peanut
butter and instead of cheese, grape jelly. "It's really good that way."

> However some don't have a name because they're invented, like
> wrapping a filling with a lettuce leaf - so "wrap" works for me.

I guess all wraps were invented at one time or other. Around little
Saigon (Westminster, CA), they usually have English on their menu that
says "wrap" if they are bringing lettuce or those rice-sheets.
Sometimes they say "with X for wrapping". They do that a lot. I find
it kind of a nuisance, like eating salad with my hands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 18:06:34 +0000, spamtrap1888 said:

> On May 8, 7:37*am, James Silverton > wrote:
>> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>>
>> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
>> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
>> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
>> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
>> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
>> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.
>>

> The first wraps I encountered were made with (soft, naturally)
> Armenian lavash.

Same here, but I don't think "wrap" is an Armenian word, so apparently
it's a word somebody somewhere came up with to describe a process, no?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/05/12 07:37, James Silverton wrote:
> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> large.

Besides burrito, there is another wrap called enchilada when served
with sauce.
In US, fajita is sometimes sold as a wrap, but in Mexico fajita is
food served _onto_ the corn tortilla, food is not wrapped.

In northern Mexico close to the US border, when small and tiny,
hand-held wraps are called burritos. Only American burrito is a large
wrap. Further to the east and south in Mexico burritos are unknown,
even unheard off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 19:31:04 +0000, Sqwertz said:

>> Both a wonton or a ravioli is a dumpling then?

> Nope. A dumpling is a dumpling. In China there is a diefference
> between a dumpling and a wonton.

This is pointless semantics, I know, I know, but still I'm curious.
What is the theoretical/semantic difference between a soft wonton
floating in a chinese soup and a dumpling?

> What I'm trying to say is that "wrap" is a new invention. If a
> similar food has already been established in some other nation/locale
> with a different name but is similar to a "wrap", it does nto
> automatically become a "wrap". You can't just go around redefining
> words that have been in use for decades or centuries.

But you can and we do. Watch now as it happens to "wrap". It's true
though when somebody is pimping their wraps on a menu I do think of
lavash, and I'm not a big fan mostly because those I've encountere were
dry, bread-dominant, with uninteresting and meager sandwich fillings.

> A burrito is traditionally filled with hot meats, sauce, and optional
> beans, rice and other Mexican-themed ingredients. You want to call it
> a wrap, go ahead - but you'd sound like a idiot, IMO. Wraps contain
> different ingredients than burritos.

I know that part is easy enough, it's when the tortilla morphs into
another kind of bread--while inside you have carnitas and pico de gallo
and beans. Then things start getting iffy.

I love chopped liver with a schmeer of schmaltz on rye, but how 'bout
they roll that in a soft rye flatbread? Hey I'd like that plenty!
Could I call that a "wrap" or would that have to be a highly unusual
deli sandwich?

> And from my experience, a proper wrap IS made with a lighter/less
> dense bread since it's not holding a lot of hot gooey stuff - as is a
> burrito. They specifically sell foodservice breads specifically for
> wraps, and some are starting to appear retail, too. A wrap doesn't
> even have to be bread, as had been pointed out, but that is mostly for
> dietary reasons, not culinary reasons.

Well following the same somewhat vague thinking, with which I generally
agree, no matter what they call serving lettuce so you can patch
together your own dining vessel in Vietnamese restaurants, that is NOT
a wrap either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 17:51:42 +0000, A Moose in Love said:

> On May 8, 10:37*am, James Silverton > wrote:
>> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>>
>> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
>> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
>> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
>> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
>> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
>> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.
>>

> I used to think that burritos always had beans in them. Such is not
> the case. They always contain juvenile donkey meat which is why they
> are not called burros, but rather burritos.(little donkeys)

I hope you're kidding!! Burritos always have beans in them, because
that's how we order them. The burrito reference is because it is a
small (in this case very small) item used to carry your food.

E.B. White when working as the editor of the New Yorker read his fan
mail every day. One fan mentioned that he too wanted to be a writer
someday and believed his experiences in Mexico would be worthwhile
material. He mentioned a burro, but he spelled it "burrow".

White responded that a "burro" is an ass and a "burrow" is a hole in
the ground: A serious writer should know the difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 12:08*pm, gtr > wrote:
> On 2012-05-08 18:06:34 +0000, spamtrap1888 said:
>
> > On May 8, 7:37*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> >> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?

> >> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> >> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> >> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> >> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
> >> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
> >> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

> > The first wraps I encountered were made with (soft, naturally)
> > Armenian lavash.

> Same here, but I don't think "wrap" is an Armenian word, so apparently
> it's a word somebody somewhere came up with to describe a process, *no?

Wrap, as in "That's a wrap"! As in the end of a movie scene when the
director is happy. "That's a wrap"!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these are
> called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when large.
> Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no means
> all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian "wrap"
> consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

There are also various lettuce wraps.

Burritos and fajitas are not the same thing at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 1:38*pm, gtr > wrote:
> On 2012-05-08 19:31:04 +0000, Sqwertz said:
>
> >> Both a wonton or a ravioli is a dumpling then?

> > Nope. *A dumpling is a dumpling. *In China there is a diefference
> > between a dumpling and a wonton.

> This is pointless semantics, I know, I know, but still I'm curious.
> What is the theoretical/semantic difference between a soft wonton
> floating in a chinese soup and a dumpling?

A dumpling can be just a little ball of dough, just like a wonton can
be just a little hunk of wonton skin. Filled dumplings are different.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2012 5:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "James > wrote in message
>> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>>
>> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
>> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these are
>> called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when large.
>> Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no means
>> all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian "wrap"
>> consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

> There are also various lettuce wraps.
>
> Burritos and fajitas are not the same thing at all.

Apart from size, what's the difference? (Asked for information not to
argue.)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 21:33:07 +0000, spamtrap1888 said:

>>> Nope. *A dumpling is a dumpling. *In China there is a diefference
>>> between a dumpling and a wonton.

>> This is pointless semantics, I know, I know, but still I'm curious.
>> What is the theoretical/semantic difference between a soft wonton
>> floating in a chinese soup and a dumpling?
>>

> A dumpling can be just a little ball of dough, just like a wonton can
> be just a little hunk of wonton skin. Filled dumplings are different.

Filled dumplings are different from a ball of dough, yes, but filled
wonton are different from a hunk of wonton skin too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 21:33:28 +0000, James Silverton said:

>>> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
>>> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these are
>>> called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when large.

Fajitas is the meat, it's the filing. In Tex-Mex cuisine and in
California fajitas usually come with grilled bell peppers, beans and
etc. with a pile of tortillas that you may fold, roll or simply eat
with the fajitas as bread.

Wiki it.

>>> Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no means
>>> all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian "wrap"
>>> consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

>> There are also various lettuce wraps.
>>
>> Burritos and fajitas are not the same thing at all.
>>

> Apart from size, what's the difference? (Asked for information not to argue.)

Burrito is a rolled and secured package for food. Fajitas is beef,
sometimes chicken, that comes with other things you can then assemble
as suits your whim. But it is rarely rolled tightly, folded and tucked
to make it a secured unit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?

The ultimate wrap is purported to be the condom.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

>On 5/8/2012 5:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Burritos and fajitas are not the same thing at all.

>Apart from size, what's the difference? (Asked for information not to
>argue.)

Fajitas means something has been cut up and grilled. A burrito is,
well a burrito -- ingredients wrapped up in a flour tortilla, whether
the ingredients had been cut up and grilled, or prepared by some
other means.

At some burrito places, "fajitis" means grilled peppers and other
vegetables, and is a possible burrito ingredient.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/05/2012 10:37 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

Around here... A wrap is something rolled up in a flour tortilla. It
is rarely something Mexican, because the pseudo Mexican thing would have
a Mexican name, or more likely, a Tex-Mex name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>
> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

I generally don't like wraps. I sometimes eat a moo-shi-type
thing, which almost ends up pretty drippy, but can be good. And I
sometimes try some other kind of wrap, only to be reminded that I
don't particularly like them. In addition to the messiness, I
find the wrappers blunt the taste of the filling in a way that
bread does not.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> When you find a restaurant called "999 Wrap XYZ" that serves
> potstickers, wontons, sloppy joes, soup dumplings, tacos ravioli, hot
> dogs

I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-09 00:38:01 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> But If you're going to redefine burritos as wraps you might as well
> call all Chinese dumplings wraps as well. You're not going to sell
> anybody on that, though. It sounds about as stupid as calling
> burritos "wraps".

What? Calling dumplings wraps? I can't imagine folks would want to
merge those concepts.

I was tring to underscore the lack of distinction between the category
"wonton", filled and in a soup and "dumpling", filled in a soup. They
re the same category.

> When you find a restaurant called "999 Wrap XYZ" that serves
> potstickers, wontons, sloppy joes, soup dumplings, tacos ravioli, hot
> dogs, McMuffins, Croisandwiches, schwarma, reubens, tuna melts, patty
> melts, gyros, hoagies, subs, heros, grinders, Frech dips, donner
> kebabs, falaffel, tortas, burritos, pannini, pizza, muffaletta, banh
> mi, Monte Christos, hamburgers, cheesesteaks, fajitas, chicken and
> cold cut wraps, lobster rolls, calzones, strombolis, spiedies, Oreo
> cookies, croque monsieur, and sliders(*) and calls them all "WRAPS"
> then you can come back tell me "I told you so :-P". But in the
> meantime I prefer not to argue about generally accepted opinions.
>
> (*) Did I miss any?

I don't see beef bourguignon or sushi. Clearly those are wraps!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

I just bought some "beer brats". Do they demand any special toppings,
or is mustard and cheese good enough?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M Middius wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

> I just bought some "beer brats". Do they demand any special toppings,
> or is mustard and cheese good enough?

cheese?

are you in Wisconsin?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 6:16*pm, tert in seattle > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > When you find a restaurant called "999 Wrap XYZ" that serves
> > potstickers, wontons, sloppy joes, soup dumplings, tacos ravioli, hot
> > dogs

> I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

Corn dogs, bagel dogs, pigs in blankets (the dough-wrapped dog)?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 May 2012 01:56:20 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>George M Middius wrote:
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

>> I just bought some "beer brats". Do they demand any special toppings,
>> or is mustard and cheese good enough?

>cheese?
>
>are you in Wisconsin?

Yup, cheese with beer brats is TIAD... may as well have Lunchables..

Beer brats get grainy brown mustard and good heated kraut... or baked
with Heinz vegetarian beans... washed down with Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:07:49 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2012-05-08 17:59:21 +0000, sf said:
>
> > On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:37:05 -0400, James Silverton
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
> >>
> >> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
> >> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
> >> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
> >> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy.

> > Messy? They come wrapped in foil. You're not supposed to unwrap them
> > completely to eat, peel the wrapping down as you eat it.

> Once again you prove your lack of knowledge. A wrap is indeed to be
> taken out of the foil/paper put on a plate, then it should be
> UNWRAPPED, then eaten with a knife and fork.

Obviously, you have no idea how to eat a burrito.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy > wrote:
> James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> I wonder how people use "wrap" for things edible?
>>
>> In the US, there are lots of different wraps, which are usually various
>> fillings enclosed in a rolled flour tortilla. In Mexico I think, these
>> are called fajitas when small (real finger food) and burritos when
>> large. Burritos can be eaten in hand but I find them rather messy. By no
>> means all wraps use Mexican fillings and I've even come across an Indian
>> "wrap" consisting of Tandoori Chicken in a rolled Chapati.

> I had a chicken wrap once.. I forget what else was in it but it was packed
> air tight and was delicious.
>
> I wondered about the term also. I guessed it was loosely based on gift-
> wrapping, wrapped up tight?
>
> Andy

Wrap, I think of chipotle. I had one once. I also had a mcdonalds steak
wrap. Ok but too salty. One end open is common.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-09 01:46:06 +0000, George M. Middius said:

> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

> I just bought some "beer brats". Do they demand any special toppings,
> or is mustard and cheese good enough?

Yes, dijon mustard and my own home-made pickle relish.

As a substitue, I've been using dijon and Boscoli olive salad/relish
(New Orleanian) with some great overpriced shipped-from-chicago vienna
vursts ($16 for 5 which I didn't realize till I checked out). I loved
them with the relish so very very much that when I ran out of the
vursts I just had a bun with the olive relish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-09 03:49:39 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:07:49 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2012-05-08 17:59:21 +0000, sf said:
>>
>>> On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:37:05 -0400, James Silverton

>>> Messy? They come wrapped in foil. You're not supposed to unwrap them
>>> completely to eat, peel the wrapping down as you eat it.

>> Once again you prove your lack of knowledge. A wrap is indeed to be
>> taken out of the foil/paper put on a plate, then it should be
>> UNWRAPPED, then eaten with a knife and fork.

> Obviously, you have no idea how to eat a burrito.

Clearly I do: First you unwrap the burrito, take off the outer skin
(tortilla), then you toss the contents with a vinagrette, put it in a
blender for a few minutes, scoop spoonfuls of it and drop it in boiling
lard. Once their toasty and crisp you may dispose of them and order a
pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-09 04:04:23 +0000, Sqwertz said:

>>> Once again you prove your lack of knowledge. A wrap is indeed to be
>>> taken out of the foil/paper put on a plate, then it should be
>>> UNWRAPPED, then eaten with a knife and fork.

>> Obviously, you have no idea how to eat a burrito.

> I can't even tell if he's talking about a wrap or a burrito now. You
> would never eat a wrap with a knife and fork.

You're quicker than I thought. Only three posts.

> At least most normal people wouldn't. And most people wouldn't even
> eat burritos like that either (they're built specifically for eating
> out of hand).

Normal people wouldn't produce a list of non-wraps to show their pique
at other "wraps" being called wraps.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On May 8, 6:16?pm, tert in seattle > wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>> > When you find a restaurant called "999 Wrap XYZ" that serves
>> > potstickers, wontons, sloppy joes, soup dumplings, tacos ravioli, hot
>> > dogs

>> I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

> Corn dogs, bagel dogs, pigs in blankets (the dough-wrapped dog)?

corn dogs and pigs in blankets would be wraps; I don't know WTF a bagel
dog is

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure hot dogs are technically classified as a sandwich

>> Corn dogs, bagel dogs, pigs in blankets (the dough-wrapped dog)?

> corn dogs and pigs in blankets would be wraps; I don't know WTF a bagel
> dog is

I used to buy them at QFC when I lived in Seattle but I haven't seen them
around since I moved back here. They were hot dogs wrapped in a bagel-like
dough. Sort of like a wiener wink but with a tougher bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> > I just bought some "beer brats". Do they demand any special toppings,
> > or is mustard and cheese good enough?

> cheese?
> are you in Wisconsin?

No. I just like cheese on my dogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-09 16:45:38 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> Anything that could be a sandwich can also be a wrap. But you don't
> usually make sandwiches out of burrito ingredients. A chile verde,
> chile colorado, or grilled beef, beans, rice and salsa wouldn't not
> fare too well on a sandwich.

Really? They fare well for me on almost a weekly basis. It's called a
torta and can be found at any of the small local Mexican restaurants. I
never saw them in Tex-Mex places but they are all over SoCal, Baja and
Guadalajara (two of the few places I've been to in Mexico). I don't
usually find them with grilled beans but don't usually find grilled
beans in tacos or burritos either.

While we aimlessly continue to fiddle with categories and what they
exclude, I think the "open faced sandwich" might make for an additional
layer of confusion in this confusion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-09, gtr > wrote:

> Really? They fare well for me on almost a weekly basis. It's called a
> torta and can be found at any of the small local Mexican restaurants. I
> never saw them in Tex-Mex places but they are all over SoCal

Gottem in NorCal, too.

There's a Mexican grocery near where my daughter lives, with small
grill to one side and they serve a Torta Cubano that may be the best
sandwich I've ever tasted. Kindofa cross between a Cuban sandwich and
a Mexican torta, it's unbelievable. I've only had a couple and
they're so big and messy, I hadda jes concentrate on eating it rather
than dissecting it. I know it does have beef, pork, and ham, but no
rice or beans. Some kinda cheese tops the meat, the bun like a
mega-hamburger bun, but a little less likely to disolve, which it will
if you eat it too slow.

Whenever I get back to visit my daughter and grand daughters, the
first thing I'll do is buy one of those totas. Yum! Then, go in
search of Banh Mi's.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Pitbull: "a gun you can pet" --Bill Burr
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> On 2012-05-09 16:45:38 +0000, Sqwertz said:
>
>> Anything that could be a sandwich can also be a wrap. But you don't
>> usually make sandwiches out of burrito ingredients. A chile verde,
>> chile colorado, or grilled beef, beans, rice and salsa wouldn't not
>> fare too well on a sandwich.

> Really? They fare well for me on almost a weekly basis. It's called a
> torta and can be found at any of the small local Mexican restaurants. I
> never saw them in Tex-Mex places but they are all over SoCal, Baja and
> Guadalajara (two of the few places I've been to in Mexico). I don't
> usually find them with grilled beans but don't usually find grilled
> beans in tacos or burritos either.
>
> While we aimlessly continue to fiddle with categories and what they
> exclude, I think the "open faced sandwich" might make for an additional
> layer of confusion in this confusion.

ah, beat me to it

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-09 17:32:45 +0000, notbob said:

> There's a Mexican grocery near where my daughter lives, with small
> grill to one side and they serve a Torta Cubano that may be the best
> sandwich I've ever tasted. Kindofa cross between a Cuban sandwich and
> a Mexican torta, it's unbelievable.

It really is amazing sometimes that simple food in simple situations
can be so incredibly good. I've had a few tortas or banh mi; right
place right time--just amazing.

> I've only had a couple and
> they're so big and messy, I hadda jes concentrate on eating it rather
> than dissecting it. I know it does have beef, pork, and ham, but no
> rice or beans. Some kinda cheese tops the meat, the bun like a
> mega-hamburger bun, but a little less likely to disolve, which it will
> if you eat it too slow.

Despite my love of well-made/assembled tortas, overall I find mexican
sandwich bread, the stuff generally in us, really worthless. On the
other hand it's always a 1+!=3 thing. If they used really "good"
bread, it might well make the thing too heavy, too chewy--too something
else. Best not to analyze at the component level.

> Whenever I get back to visit my daughter and grand daughters, the
> first thing I'll do is buy one of those totas. Yum! Then, go in
> search of Banh Mi's.

I played a game for a while in Westminster (highest percent of
Vietnamese outside Vietnam, I'm told), where I intended to eat a sample
everywhere that sold banh mi. I failed, of course, but probably had 12
over a 3 month period. It was an impossible contest, they were all
quite good. But banh mi (at least around here) only have so much
variation.

My shwerma sandwich quest was much more exciting. Likely because more
nationalities/ethnicities are represented. I did find what I think are
my favorites. Not suprisingly it has a lot to do with the pickles they
add.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-09 22:29:38 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Wed, 9 May 2012 10:17:09 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> On 2012-05-09 16:45:38 +0000, Sqwertz said:
>>
>>> Anything that could be a sandwich can also be a wrap. But you don't
>>> usually make sandwiches out of burrito ingredients. A chile verde,
>>> chile colorado, or grilled beef, beans, rice and salsa wouldn't not
>>> fare too well on a sandwich.

>> Really? They fare well for me on almost a weekly basis. It's called a
>> torta ...

> So you'll call a burrito a wrap,

I'll try to clarify error #1, likely for no gain:

I do not call a burrito a wrap, I'm only pointed out the vagueness of
the category "wrap"--not the vagueness of the category "burrito". If I
got a burrito, right there at the taco shop, with shredded chicken,
walnuts, arugula and some mayo doctored up with rosemary I would
say--"What the ****--this isn't a burrito!" A burrito's general
construction is set in stone.

A wrap's construction is NOT set in stone. So, as implied in the
subject header, that's the topic you've been involved in, however
cursory your direct participation.

If someone has a rigid perspective of what a wrap is, and they believe
that description to be a "universally accepted" notion of a wrap, I'll
listen: I'm not personally invested.

> €¦but a torta with the same ingredients is now a torta?

If "the same ingredients" means Mexican stuff I'll go with "Yes": A
torta is now torta.

> Contradict yourself much? A torta is not a burrito anyway.

Error/Confusion #2: No one claimed a torta was a burrito.

Error #3: "You don't usually make sandiches out of burrito
ingredients," you said upstream. But we do. That sandwich is called a
torta.

These are the three errors I assume you won't address.