Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Searing beef on a grill

In article >,
Gene > wrote:

> snip
> >Grape seed oil is extracted from grape seeds and has a relatively high
> >smoke point, approximately 420 °F (216 °C), so it can be safely used
> >to cook at high temperature.

> snip
>
> Forgot to mention, grape seend as mentioned above has a 420 degree F
> smoke point. I sear at 700. I will get enough smoke to set off the
> alarm.
>

> But I CAN live with the smoke
>
> Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

It's just not as thick and annoying or as hard to clear as the smoke
from, say, olive oil or butter. :-) Honest and truly!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 03:16:04 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
>> >Not a bad idea for advertising!
>> >I may have to consider that route myself once I finally have inventory.

>> I'm focusing on selling my teaching skills, not a product yet.
>>
>> I do not know what inventory you need to aquire, but I do know that
>> you know how to cook and would be a very good teacher of cooking.

>Thank you! :-) The product I'll be selling would do well if I were able
>to give some instructional videos on how to use it. I'm planning on
>contacting the publisher that publishes the best manuals on it and see
>if I can get a seller price and minimum order quote.
>
>It's a type of sports tape.

I would be interested in knowing more.

>I will later set up a cooking website with links to kitchen gadget sales
>tho' so I won't ignore this hobby completely. :-)

Well lets hope not!

>> Yes, I never tasted anything you made, but I DO understand based on
>> all the things you have described and the pictures I have seen.
>>
>> You CAN cook!
>>
>> Gene

>My friends and family think so, but I do deeply value and appreciate the
>opinions of a pro' Chef.

When I am the guy in charge of the kitchen, I am the Chef. When I cook
alone I am the cook. When in the kitchen with others I am never a
cook, always the chef. Pro Chef is an over rated title. Why else
would they have so many titles for "CHEF"? Because everyone has a BIG
ego in this bis and they all need to be stroked!

Truth is, you are only as good as that plate you just sent out. You
cooked it, or someone else under your command did. YOU SIGN IT. It is
all on you.

Sooooo....cook to please you. A chef cooks to please others.

Ever hear "this is the type of food a CHEF likes to eat"? Or, "Eat
where the Chefs eat"? Let you in on something. Chefs like to eat the
food YOU make. The kind of food that you make for pleasure, not to
make the masses happy. Food made with love!

A Chef can make a beef tenderloin 30 different ways. But he/she makes
it for him/her self that same way over and over again. Because that is
the way he/she likes it. For him/her, not for the client(s).

>Thank you! And I sincerely mean that...

You are a cook. When having help in the kitchen, and you are the one
co-coordinating, setting direction, and taking responsibility for the
outcome, you are a CHEF. Perhaps not a TRAINED CHEF, but a chef none
the less. You take pride in what you provide, and responsibility for
your failers. You listen to feed back and you are your own toughest
credic. Trained "CHEFS" would do well to follow your example.

No need to thank me. You are as good as you are because YOU drove
yourself there. I did nothing. YOU did. And continue to!

I would be honored to dine at your table.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Gene > wrote:

> >Thank you! :-) The product I'll be selling would do well if I were able
> >to give some instructional videos on how to use it. I'm planning on
> >contacting the publisher that publishes the best manuals on it and see
> >if I can get a seller price and minimum order quote.
> >
> >It's a type of sports tape.

> I would be interested in knowing more.

We can take that to private e-mail. Don't want anyone stealing my idea
before I get it off the ground. ;-) It's going to mean about a $5,000
initial investment and I've spent many, many hours setting up to become
a distributor. <g>

> >I will later set up a cooking website with links to kitchen gadget sales
> >tho' so I won't ignore this hobby completely. :-)
> >

> Well lets hope not!

The trick will be deciding what line of kitchen gadgets to sell. I
still have to research some of them to see what is in the highest demand.

> When I am the guy in charge of the kitchen, I am the Chef. When I cook
> alone I am the cook. When in the kitchen with others I am never a
> cook, always the chef. Pro Chef is an over rated title. Why else
> would they have so many titles for "CHEF"? Because everyone has a BIG
> ego in this bis and they all need to be stroked!
>
> Truth is, you are only as good as that plate you just sent out. You
> cooked it, or someone else under your command did. YOU SIGN IT. It is
> all on you.
>
> Sooooo....cook to please you. A chef cooks to please others.

So I'm a chef when I cook for dad, and a cook for when I prepare a meal
for myself? <g> I generally prepare separate meals for us. Not that I
don't like some of the stuff I fix for him, just that I don't always
keep his meals low carb. The rice I whipped up for instance, I've had a
couple of bites because it's delicious, but I made it for him to eat.
I'm still in the process of a weight loss plan.

> Ever hear "this is the type of food a CHEF likes to eat"? Or, "Eat
> where the Chefs eat"? Let you in on something. Chefs like to eat the
> food YOU make. The kind of food that you make for pleasure, not to
> make the masses happy. Food made with love!

You mean Chef's never eat fast food? -> <Ducking and running!>

> A Chef can make a beef tenderloin 30 different ways. But he/she makes
> it for him/her self that same way over and over again. Because that is
> the way he/she likes it. For him/her, not for the client(s).
> >
> >Thank you! And I sincerely mean that...

> You are a cook. When having help in the kitchen, and you are the one
> co-coordinating, setting direction, and taking responsibility for the
> outcome, you are a CHEF. Perhaps not a TRAINED CHEF, but a chef none
> the less. You take pride in what you provide, and responsibility for
> your failers. You listen to feed back and you are your own toughest
> credic. Trained "CHEFS" would do well to follow your example.
>
> No need to thank me. You are as good as you are because YOU drove
> yourself there. I did nothing. YOU did. And continue to!
>
> I would be honored to dine at your table.
>

> Gene

And I at yours. :-)
If I ever get up North again...
We can cook for each other!

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
> > >I don't do steaks in the kitchen very often. My stove hood vent isn't
> > >powerful enough to carry off the smoke. And I find myself reluctant
> > >to get a grill pan hot enough on my stovetop to get the job done
> > >right.
> > >I have an unjustified fear of damaging my cooktop with the heat
> > >reflected
> > >from a super hot grill or grillpan.

> > My hood fan is the same way. I disconnect the smoke detector and put a
> > box fan in the window!

> Try a different oil. My kitchen smoke alarm hardly ever gets set off
> and I get a good pan sear. The toaster oven broiling nearly always sets
> it off.
> --
> Peace! Om

Whatever floats your boat Om. I know of no oil that will withstand 700F or
better except maybe motor oil. I use a ribbed grill pan when I grill
indoors
and zero oil in the pan. I oil the steaks themselves with Canola oil. Any
oil
left in or dripped into the pan will incinerate.

Hmm, my kitchen window opening is 16" X 24". I wonder what I could
fit in there. Maybe a pair of vent fans mounted in a custom panel? Where
is a Nonny when you need one?

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> Whatever floats your boat Om. I know of no oil that will withstand 700F or
> better except maybe motor oil. I use a ribbed grill pan when I grill
> indoors
> and zero oil in the pan. I oil the steaks themselves with Canola oil. Any
> oil
> left in or dripped into the pan will incinerate.
>
> Hmm, my kitchen window opening is 16" X 24". I wonder what I could
> fit in there. Maybe a pair of vent fans mounted in a custom panel? Where
> is a Nonny when you need one?

I believe I specified it makes less smoke, not no smoke. <g>

Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen window.
Since my window opens to the back porch I had built (aluminum walled), I
installed one of those over my kitchen sink. Works to vent onion fumes
too!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote

> Last night I built a proper fire. I couldn't get my hand closer then about
> 8 inches from the grill.

Howard, we all know you're a wimp.

Personally I fish the baked potatoes from the coals with bare hands.

And of course, I'm lying.

I sear (when the need arises) in a really hot CI skillet. The mess is part
of cooking.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
>> >I don't do steaks in the kitchen very often. My stove hood vent isn't
>> >powerful enough to carry off the smoke. And I find myself reluctant
>> >to get a grill pan hot enough on my stovetop to get the job done right.
>> >I have an unjustified fear of damaging my cooktop with the heat
>> >reflected
>> >from a super hot grill or grillpan.

>> My hood fan is the same way. I disconnect the smoke detector and put a
>> box fan in the window!

> Try a different oil. My kitchen smoke alarm hardly ever gets set off
> and I get a good pan sear. The toaster oven broiling nearly always sets
> it off.

Maybe he should try a different smoke alarm...
Mine goes off when I get out of the shower, but then again, I shower in the
nude...

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Mar-2010, Gene > wrote:

> snip
> >Grape seed oil is extracted from grape seeds and has a relatively high
> >smoke point, approximately 420 °F (216 °C), so it can be safely used
> >to cook at high temperature.

> snip
>
> Forgot to mention, grape seend as mentioned above has a 420 degree F
> smoke point. I sear at 700. I will get enough smoke to set off the
> alarm.
>

> But I CAN live with the smoke
>
> Gene

I likewise can live with the smoke, but my Nathalie unfortunately goes into
respiratory distress quite easily with contaminated air.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On 26 Mar 2010 22:08:55 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>>Gene > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> All you need is 700F degrees at contact with the meat. It can be gas,
>>> open flame, cast iron, what ever. Over 700, you get a faster sear.
>>> Better, but not the end all be all difference.

>>Agreed. I heat a CI pan up to 700 F (measured with an Omega HHM290's
>>non-contact laser sensor), wipe the steak with EVOO and a light sprinkle
>>of
>>garlic salt. Beautiful sear! A couple of minutes on a side and it's
>>charred
>>blod-rare. Perfect for backstrap, too.

> The only stakes that do not do well in cast iron are stakes that have
> the bone in. I do ribeye stakes the very same way you do!

I googled "Bone in Stakes" and got nonsense.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article > ,
TFM® > wrote:

> "Gene" > wrote in message
> > On 26 Mar 2010 22:08:55 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> > wrote:

> >>Agreed. I heat a CI pan up to 700 F (measured with an Omega HHM290's
> >>non-contact laser sensor), wipe the steak with EVOO and a light sprinkle
> >>of
> >>garlic salt. Beautiful sear! A couple of minutes on a side and it's
> >>charred
> >>blod-rare. Perfect for backstrap, too.

> > The only stakes that do not do well in cast iron are stakes that have
> > the bone in. I do ribeye stakes the very same way you do!

> I googled "Bone in Stakes" and got nonsense.
>
> TFM®

I figured he hadn't had is coffee yet. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Gene > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> >Dave prolly runs his blowtorch on CH3NO2.

>> Nitromethane. Hmmmm....

> Another fuelly, eh?
>
>> You know I am still wanting to try LOX as a fuel for grilling.
>> And I
>> don't mean the salmon.

> Hmmm. LOX/LH2 should get purty hot. "To the Moon, Alice!" LMFAO
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and
> their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a
> Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not
> forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC
> 1365061

Yeah, but what about the fumes?

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:

.. . .

> Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen window.
> Since my window opens to the back porch I had built (aluminum walled), I
> installed one of those over my kitchen sink. Works to vent onion fumes
> too!
> --
> Peace! Om

Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I could
make one if they have something that will fit. I know the regular box fan
will not fit.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > "Brick" > wrote:

> . . .
>
> > Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen window.
> > Since my window opens to the back porch I had built (aluminum walled), I
> > installed one of those over my kitchen sink. Works to vent onion fumes
> > too!
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I could
> make one if they have something that will fit. I know the regular box fan
> will not fit.

This is better, and the fan has a reverse switch to draw or vent, and it
also has a low and high speed. I hope they still have it! It's been
awhile since I bought mine. I need to replace mine soon anyway. One of
the two fans has quit but it's pretty old! 6, maybe 7 years and it's run
pretty much continuously.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > On 26-Mar-2010, Gene > wrote:

.. . .

> I did not let the oven heat enough last night so only got a good sear
> around the edges of the steak.<sigh> And it was almost medium rare
> after 5 minutes. I gotta refine my technique. Maybe turn it at 2
> minutes and cook for 2 more under the elements.? I dunno. I'll probably
> either go back to pan searing in the kitchen or depend on the contact
> grill as it is always reliable, even with no temp. control.
> --
> Peace! Om

If you didn't know any better, it probably wouldn't bother you. It smarts
though when you know better and go ahead and do it anyway. Don't
plan on age curing your problem. It sure hasn't cured mine. If anything,
it gets worse because you start counting the times you did the same
damn stupid thing expecting the results to come out different.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gene wrote:
> snip
>
>> The science is with you on that one, Gene. I don't care about
>> searing meat on a grill, and I find it funny that our anal-retentive
>> grinder monkey constantly obsesses on it. If the meat surface hasn't
>> caramelized enough, I take a blow torch to my steak. Problem solved.

> I really love a good sear, but for the texture and flavor. Blow torch
> works for you? GOOD! My motto is "do what works". That motto applies
> to cooking, my Martial Arts, raising my kids, and my sex life. OK,
> that might have been TMI! LOL!

Oops, I see where my post could be read idfferently than what i meant. Let
me try again :-)

I like a sear. I just don't care if it is the grill which gets the job done.
A hot CI pan, then transfer the steak to the grill works fine for me. If,
after the meat is done grilling and I want more caramelization, I can always
grab my blow torch.

I agree with where your coming from, Gene. BTW, I like your website.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 27-Mar-2010, Gene > wrote:
>
>> snip
>>> Grape seed oil is extracted from grape seeds and has a relatively
>>> high smoke point, approximately 420 °F (216 °C), so it can be
>>> safely used to cook at high temperature.

>> snip
>>
>> Forgot to mention, grape seend as mentioned above has a 420 degree F
>> smoke point. I sear at 700. I will get enough smoke to set off the
>> alarm.
>>

>> But I CAN live with the smoke
>>
>> Gene

> I likewise can live with the smoke, but my Nathalie unfortunately
> goes into respiratory distress quite easily with contaminated air.

Fortunate for me, I have a heavy duty propane stove top (like a camp stove
on steroids) to do the pan searing so I don't have to worry about smoke in
our house.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Mar-2010, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?= > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote
>

> > Last night I built a proper fire. I couldn't get my hand closer then
> > about
> > 8 inches from the grill.

> Howard, we all know you're a wimp.
>
> Personally I fish the baked potatoes from the coals with bare hands.
>
> And of course, I'm lying.
>

> I sear (when the need arises) in a really hot CI skillet. The mess is
> part
> of cooking.
>

> TFM®

Now I know I'm in fantasy land. Two whole days and this thread is still
on topic. Nobody has even made one of those off the wall pure BS
statements except of course about me being a wimp. Every 12 year
old in the hood knows I'm the baddest mofo on the Florida west coast.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> In article .com>,
>> "Brick" > wrote:

> . . .
>
>> Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen
>> window. Since my window opens to the back porch I had built
>> (aluminum walled), I installed one of those over my kitchen sink.
>> Works to vent onion fumes too!
>> --
>> Peace! Om

> Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I
> could make one if they have something that will fit. I know the
> regular box fan will not fit.

Here's the url for the fan that Lowes has in-stock, Brick.
http://tinyurl.com/ydpxhs7

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Mar-2010, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> >> In article .com>,
> >> "Brick" > wrote:

> > . . .
> >
> >> Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen
> >> window. Since my window opens to the back porch I had built
> >> (aluminum walled), I installed one of those over my kitchen sink.
> >> Works to vent onion fumes too!
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om

> > Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I
> > could make one if they have something that will fit. I know the
> > regular box fan will not fit.

> Here's the url for the fan that Lowes has in-stock, Brick.
> http://tinyurl.com/ydpxhs7
>

> --
> Dave

Thanks Dave. That one is in stock about fifteen minutes from the house.
I'll take my tape over there and see if it'll fit.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > "Brick" > wrote:
> >
> > > On 26-Mar-2010, Gene > wrote:

> . . .
>
> > I did not let the oven heat enough last night so only got a good sear
> > around the edges of the steak.<sigh> And it was almost medium rare
> > after 5 minutes. I gotta refine my technique. Maybe turn it at 2
> > minutes and cook for 2 more under the elements.? I dunno. I'll probably
> > either go back to pan searing in the kitchen or depend on the contact
> > grill as it is always reliable, even with no temp. control.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> If you didn't know any better, it probably wouldn't bother you. It smarts
> though when you know better and go ahead and do it anyway. Don't
> plan on age curing your problem. It sure hasn't cured mine. If anything,
> it gets worse because you start counting the times you did the same
> damn stupid thing expecting the results to come out different.

<lol> I so totally agree!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > On 27-Mar-2010, Gene > wrote:
> >
> >> snip
> >>
> >> snip
> >>
> >> Forgot to mention, grape seend as mentioned above has a 420 degree F
> >> smoke point. I sear at 700. I will get enough smoke to set off the
> >> alarm.
> >>

> >> But I CAN live with the smoke
> >>
> >> Gene

> > I likewise can live with the smoke, but my Nathalie unfortunately
> > goes into respiratory distress quite easily with contaminated air.

> Fortunate for me, I have a heavy duty propane stove top (like a camp stove
> on steroids) to do the pan searing so I don't have to worry about smoke in
> our house.

Funny, at one time I thought that an outdoor kitchen was silly.

Now I know better. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> >> In article .com>,
> >> "Brick" > wrote:

> > . . .
> >
> >> Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen
> >> window. Since my window opens to the back porch I had built
> >> (aluminum walled), I installed one of those over my kitchen sink.
> >> Works to vent onion fumes too!
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om

> > Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I
> > could make one if they have something that will fit. I know the
> > regular box fan will not fit.

> Here's the url for the fan that Lowes has in-stock, Brick.
> http://tinyurl.com/ydpxhs7

Yay! That's exactly the one that I have. :-) It's a handy thing....
Thanks Dave!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 27-Mar-2010, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> > Brick wrote:

> > > . . .

> > > Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I
> > > could make one if they have something that will fit. I know the
> > > regular box fan will not fit.

> > Here's the url for the fan that Lowes has in-stock, Brick.
> > http://tinyurl.com/ydpxhs7
> >

> > --
> > Dave

> Thanks Dave. That one is in stock about fifteen minutes from the house.
> I'll take my tape over there and see if it'll fit.

Hope it fits! My window was just the right size for it.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> In article .com>,
>> "Brick" > wrote:

> . . .
>
>> Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen window.
>> Since my window opens to the back porch I had built (aluminum walled), I
>> installed one of those over my kitchen sink. Works to vent onion fumes
>> too!
>> --
>> Peace! Om

> Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I could
> make one if they have something that will fit. I know the regular box fan
> will not fit.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

I bought a couple window fans some years back for about $30 each. Two nine
inch fans in an enclosure that will fit most any window.

The fans are reversible by the controls, so you can intake or exhaust.

Biggest drawback is the fact that you really can't get them apart to clean
the blades. That would most definitely be an issue in a cooking
environment.

TFM®
(and I'm GOOD at taking stuff apart)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Brick wrote:
>> On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>>> In article .com>,
>>> "Brick" > wrote:

>> . . .
>>
>>> Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen
>>> window. Since my window opens to the back porch I had built
>>> (aluminum walled), I installed one of those over my kitchen sink.
>>> Works to vent onion fumes too!
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om

>> Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I
>> could make one if they have something that will fit. I know the
>> regular box fan will not fit.

> Here's the url for the fan that Lowes has in-stock, Brick.
> http://tinyurl.com/ydpxhs7

Or you could save some money...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=window+fan

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> Brick wrote:

>> > I likewise can live with the smoke, but my Nathalie unfortunately
>> > goes into respiratory distress quite easily with contaminated air.

>> Fortunate for me, I have a heavy duty propane stove top (like a camp
>> stove
>> on steroids) to do the pan searing so I don't have to worry about smoke
>> in
>> our house.

> Funny, at one time I thought that an outdoor kitchen was silly.
>
> Now I know better. <g>

Next thing you know, people will be cooking outside and shitting inside.
Absurd!

I have my wonderful turkey fryer burner just outside the back door and quite
the collection of cast iron implements to keep any nasty cooking jobs where
they belong.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article > ,
TFM® > wrote:

> > Funny, at one time I thought that an outdoor kitchen was silly.
> >
> > Now I know better. <g>

> Next thing you know, people will be cooking outside and shitting inside.
> Absurd!
>
> I have my wonderful turkey fryer burner just outside the back door and quite
> the collection of cast iron implements to keep any nasty cooking jobs where
> they belong.
>

> TFM®

It is difficult to cook in pans in the pit. I've been considering a
second grill for quite some time now and reserving the pit strictly for
smoking.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> Funny, at one time I thought that an outdoor kitchen was silly.
>
> Now I know better. <g>

Nothing fancy or exotically expensive, just enough to give me some great
outdoor cooking options. Here's what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Prof.../dp/B0000BWENB

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Funny, at one time I thought that an outdoor kitchen was silly.
> >
> > Now I know better. <g>

> Nothing fancy or exotically expensive, just enough to give me some great
> outdoor cooking options. Here's what I use:
> http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Prof.../dp/B0000BWENB

Oh I have a perfectly good Coleman Propane stove if I really want to use
it. :-) I'd need to set up a good table tho'. My old cheap cast iron
and wood lawn furniture has pretty well had it. Needs to be replaced
with something sturdier and better. I'd not mind having a concrete
picnic table but I'd have to pay to have it brought in. <g>

Y'know, come to think of it, I have a lot of limestone block stone left
over from skirting the house. I'd planned to use it all for raised
garden beds, but building a picnic table frame out of that might be
kinda cool. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:33:44 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Gene > wrote:
>
>> >Thank you! :-) The product I'll be selling would do well if I were able
>> >to give some instructional videos on how to use it. I'm planning on
>> >contacting the publisher that publishes the best manuals on it and see
>> >if I can get a seller price and minimum order quote.
>> >
>> >It's a type of sports tape.

>> I would be interested in knowing more.

>We can take that to private e-mail. Don't want anyone stealing my idea
>before I get it off the ground. ;-) It's going to mean about a $5,000
>initial investment and I've spent many, many hours setting up to become
>a distributor. <g>

Cool. But don't tell me. If it leaked I would not want to be accused

>> >I will later set up a cooking website with links to kitchen gadget sales
>> >tho' so I won't ignore this hobby completely. :-)
>> >

>> Well lets hope not!

>The trick will be deciding what line of kitchen gadgets to sell. I
>still have to research some of them to see what is in the highest demand.
>
>> When I am the guy in charge of the kitchen, I am the Chef. When I cook
>> alone I am the cook. When in the kitchen with others I am never a
>> cook, always the chef. Pro Chef is an over rated title. Why else
>> would they have so many titles for "CHEF"? Because everyone has a BIG
>> ego in this bis and they all need to be stroked!
>>
>> Truth is, you are only as good as that plate you just sent out. You
>> cooked it, or someone else under your command did. YOU SIGN IT. It is
>> all on you.
>>
>> Sooooo....cook to please you. A chef cooks to please others.

The chef is the person in charge.

>So I'm a chef when I cook for dad, and a cook for when I prepare a meal
>for myself? <g> I generally prepare separate meals for us. Not that I
>don't like some of the stuff I fix for him, just that I don't always
>keep his meals low carb. The rice I whipped up for instance, I've had a
>couple of bites because it's delicious, but I made it for him to eat.
>I'm still in the process of a weight loss plan.

Arrrgggg. Heheheh. You are a damn fine lady in my book.

>> Ever hear "this is the type of food a CHEF likes to eat"? Or, "Eat
>> where the Chefs eat"? Let you in on something. Chefs like to eat the
>> food YOU make. The kind of food that you make for pleasure, not to
>> make the masses happy. Food made with love!

>You mean Chef's never eat fast food? -> <Ducking and running!>

I wouldn't say that (throws shoe, hand on cleaver)!

I ate at BK today. I now remember why I eat there only onve of twice a
year.

Most Chef's like "real" food. A nice steak. Spagetti cooked properly
with a home made sauce. A nice stew. Anything but "Foo Foo" food. A
good soup. You know? Stuff they can't make for the masses, but tasty!
Real food.

>> A Chef can make a beef tenderloin 30 different ways. But he/she makes
>> it for him/her self that same way over and over again. Because that is
>> the way he/she likes it. For him/her, not for the client(s).
>> >
>> >Thank you! And I sincerely mean that...

>> You are a cook. When having help in the kitchen, and you are the one
>> co-coordinating, setting direction, and taking responsibility for the
>> outcome, you are a CHEF. Perhaps not a TRAINED CHEF, but a chef none
>> the less. You take pride in what you provide, and responsibility for
>> your failers. You listen to feed back and you are your own toughest
>> credic. Trained "CHEFS" would do well to follow your example.
>>
>> No need to thank me. You are as good as you are because YOU drove
>> yourself there. I did nothing. YOU did. And continue to!
>>
>> I would be honored to dine at your table.
>>

>> Gene

>And I at yours. :-)
>If I ever get up North again...
>We can cook for each other!

And we will get fat!

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:41:10 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Gene wrote:
>> snip
>>
>>> The science is with you on that one, Gene. I don't care about
>>> searing meat on a grill, and I find it funny that our anal-retentive
>>> grinder monkey constantly obsesses on it. If the meat surface hasn't
>>> caramelized enough, I take a blow torch to my steak. Problem solved.

>> I really love a good sear, but for the texture and flavor. Blow torch
>> works for you? GOOD! My motto is "do what works". That motto applies
>> to cooking, my Martial Arts, raising my kids, and my sex life. OK,
>> that might have been TMI! LOL!

>Oops, I see where my post could be read idfferently than what i meant. Let
>me try again :-)
>
>I like a sear. I just don't care if it is the grill which gets the job done.
>A hot CI pan, then transfer the steak to the grill works fine for me. If,
>after the meat is done grilling and I want more caramelization, I can always
>grab my blow torch.
>
>I agree with where your coming from, Gene. BTW, I like your website.

Thanks Dave! I added a video web chat but no one to chat with!

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:22:30 -0400, TFM® > wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 26 Mar 2010 22:08:55 GMT, Nick Cramer >
>> wrote:

>>>Agreed. I heat a CI pan up to 700 F (measured with an Omega HHM290's
>>>non-contact laser sensor), wipe the steak with EVOO and a light sprinkle
>>>of
>>>garlic salt. Beautiful sear! A couple of minutes on a side and it's
>>>charred
>>>blod-rare. Perfect for backstrap, too.

>> The only stakes that do not do well in cast iron are stakes that have
>> the bone in. I do ribeye stakes the very same way you do!

>I googled "Bone in Stakes" and got nonsense.
>
>TFM®

Errr, steaks?

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Gene > wrote:

> >We can take that to private e-mail. Don't want anyone stealing my idea
> >before I get it off the ground. ;-) It's going to mean about a $5,000
> >initial investment and I've spent many, many hours setting up to become
> >a distributor. <g>

> Cool. But don't tell me. If it leaked I would not want to be accused

It is going to get out eventually when I set up a website, (after all, I
DO want to sell it!) so please do e-mail me. This e-mail is valid and
checked at least a couple of times per day.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:24:17 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article > ,
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> "Gene" > wrote in message

>> > The only stakes that do not do well in cast iron are stakes that have
>> > the bone in. I do ribeye stakes the very same way you do!

>> I googled "Bone in Stakes" and got nonsense.
>>
>> TFM®

>I figured he hadn't had is coffee yet. <g>

NOT TRUE!

Had about 20 beers in me!

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>Next thing you know, people will be cooking outside and shitting inside.
>Absurd!

OMG! The started that in Georgia just before I left!

>I have my wonderful turkey fryer burner just outside the back door and quite
>the collection of cast iron implements to keep any nasty cooking jobs where
>they belong.
>

>TFM®

I use my turkey fryer burner to heat my wok. Damn it is just like the
fires of hell.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:03:42 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article > ,
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> > Funny, at one time I thought that an outdoor kitchen was silly.
>> >
>> > Now I know better. <g>

>> Next thing you know, people will be cooking outside and shitting inside.
>> Absurd!
>>
>> I have my wonderful turkey fryer burner just outside the back door and quite
>> the collection of cast iron implements to keep any nasty cooking jobs where
>> they belong.
>>

>> TFM®

>It is difficult to cook in pans in the pit. I've been considering a
>second grill for quite some time now and reserving the pit strictly for
>smoking.

Turkey fryer burner. Outstanding for an outdoor wok too!

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Gene > wrote:

> >So I'm a chef when I cook for dad, and a cook for when I prepare a meal
> >for myself? <g> I generally prepare separate meals for us. Not that I
> >don't like some of the stuff I fix for him, just that I don't always
> >keep his meals low carb. The rice I whipped up for instance, I've had a
> >couple of bites because it's delicious, but I made it for him to eat.
> >I'm still in the process of a weight loss plan.

> Arrrgggg. Heheheh. You are a damn fine lady in my book.

Why thank you! :-) I've been on a spring roll kick myself this week.
The ones with the rice wrappers. The main filling tho' is romaine and
meat. No other starch other than the wrapper.

> >> Ever hear "this is the type of food a CHEF likes to eat"? Or, "Eat
> >> where the Chefs eat"? Let you in on something. Chefs like to eat the
> >> food YOU make. The kind of food that you make for pleasure, not to
> >> make the masses happy. Food made with love!

> >You mean Chef's never eat fast food? -> <Ducking and running!>

> I wouldn't say that (throws shoe, hand on cleaver)!
>
> I ate at BK today. I now remember why I eat there only onve of twice a
> year.

<giggles>

> Most Chef's like "real" food. A nice steak. Spagetti cooked properly
> with a home made sauce. A nice stew. Anything but "Foo Foo" food. A
> good soup. You know? Stuff they can't make for the masses, but tasty!
> Real food.

I did do that lemon roasted chicken yesterday. Served it with home
blanched fresh frozen Asparagus.

> >> A Chef can make a beef tenderloin 30 different ways. But he/she makes
> >> it for him/her self that same way over and over again. Because that is
> >> the way he/she likes it. For him/her, not for the client(s).

> >> You are a cook. When having help in the kitchen, and you are the one
> >> co-coordinating, setting direction, and taking responsibility for the
> >> outcome, you are a CHEF. Perhaps not a TRAINED CHEF, but a chef none
> >> the less. You take pride in what you provide, and responsibility for
> >> your failers. You listen to feed back and you are your own toughest
> >> credic. Trained "CHEFS" would do well to follow your example.
> >>
> >> No need to thank me. You are as good as you are because YOU drove
> >> yourself there. I did nothing. YOU did. And continue to!
> >>
> >> I would be honored to dine at your table.
> >>

> >> Gene

> >And I at yours. :-)
> >If I ever get up North again...
> >We can cook for each other!

> And we will get fat!
>
> Gene

Nah. I'm good at cooking GOOD low carb! Lots of practice. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:54:42 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Brick wrote:
>> On 27-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>>
>>> In article .com>,
>>> "Brick" > wrote:

>> . . .
>>
>>> Lowe's sells a double vent fan that will fit the average kitchen
>>> window. Since my window opens to the back porch I had built
>>> (aluminum walled), I installed one of those over my kitchen sink.
>>> Works to vent onion fumes too!
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om

>> Thanks Om, I'll check that out. I can likely buy one cheaper then I
>> could make one if they have something that will fit. I know the
>> regular box fan will not fit.

>Here's the url for the fan that Lowes has in-stock, Brick.
>http://tinyurl.com/ydpxhs7

I have something like that. It don't have the feet. Got it at Wally
World last year for $17. I use it in my office. Workd like a charm.
This one looks better.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

#2 is the one I have.

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/

"If people let government decide
what foods they eat and what medicines
they take, their bodies will soon be
in as sorry a state as are the souls of
those who live under tyranny"

"Thomas Jefferson"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Biggest drawback is the fact that you really can't get them apart to clean
>the blades. That would most definitely be an issue in a cooking
>environment.
>

>TFM®
>(and I'm GOOD at taking stuff apart)

Clean? LOL!