Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Bayou Classic

I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.

http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Cam > wrote:

> I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
> getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.
>
> http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html
>
> Cam

Pretty thing. :-) I don't see why it would not work just fine!
How much is it if you don't mind me asking? I use a New Braunfels
offset smoker. Paid $180.00 for it about 10 years or so ago and it is
still going strong, but I honestly don't smoke that much.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cam wrote:
> I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
> getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.
>
> http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

I've never heard of this brand before now. On first impression, it is a
handsome piece. I quickly scanned the url so I saw nothing related to
circumfrence of the grill, weight, etc. I would also want to know where it
is manufactured and by whom. The price, which includes shipping (it cost me
over 250.00 just to ship my Kamado) seems real reasonable if the product is
good. No details on the chimney control that I could see, nor do I
particularly like what I see regarding the draft door (the big issue there
is how tightly does it seal, and is it easy to slide when it gets heated
up). I like the base and the hefty casters. I would pay attention to the
fuel 'pan' setup and if there is the ability to put a deflector between the
fire and the cooking grate, just in case you want to do some jerky.

I think it deserves closer examination and discovery; I wouldn't kick it
down the road just yet. :-) I'll swing by my local Lowes and see if that
store has one in stock. You may have stumbled onto a good deal in ceramic
cookers.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Cam wrote:
>> I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
>> getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.
>>
>> http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

..snip
> I think it deserves closer examination and discovery; I wouldn't kick
> it down the road just yet. :-) I'll swing by my local Lowes and see
> if that store has one in stock. You may have stumbled onto a good
> deal in ceramic cookers.

I just checked the BBQ Guru site, and there isn't an adapter to use the Guru
with the Bayou. So that seems to indicate it hasn't been around for very
long or it isn't real popular....yet. I also did a quick peek at Amazon, and
although it lists the cooker there are no reviews.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 19, 11:08*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Cam > wrote:
> > I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
> > getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.

> >http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

> > Cam

> Pretty thing. :-) *I don't see why it would not work just fine!
> How much is it if you don't mind me asking? *I use a New Braunfels
> offset smoker. *Paid $180.00 for it about 10 years or so ago and it is
> still going strong, but I honestly don't smoke that much.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." *
> --Steve Rothstein
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> Subscribe:

It sells for $650 and is made in China. It looked well constructed but
I know these things depend on the quality of ceramic. I'd hate to
spend that much and need to replace it soon. I think it's a brand new
model

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Cam wrote:
>>> I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
>>> getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.
>>>
>>> http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

> .snip
>> I think it deserves closer examination and discovery; I wouldn't kick
>> it down the road just yet. :-) I'll swing by my local Lowes and see
>> if that store has one in stock. You may have stumbled onto a good
>> deal in ceramic cookers.

> I just checked the BBQ Guru site, and there isn't an adapter to use the Guru
> with the Bayou. So that seems to indicate it hasn't been around for very
> long or it isn't real popular....yet. I also did a quick peek at Amazon, and
> although it lists the cooker there are no reviews.

sorry to change the thread, but what is the advantage of the BBQ Guru
stuff? It's not inexpensive.

TIA

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2010-03-20, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> sorry to change the thread, but what is the advantage of the BBQ Guru
> stuff? It's not inexpensive.

Looks like Rube Central!

Who would pay $1700 for a smoker that holds temps at 90F,
ferchrysakes? I could do that by putting the food on my porch.

nb
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Cam > wrote:

> On Mar 19, 11:08*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > *Cam > wrote:
> > > I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
> > > getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.

> > >http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

> > > Cam

> > Pretty thing. :-) *I don't see why it would not work just fine!
> > How much is it if you don't mind me asking? *I use a New Braunfels
> > offset smoker. *Paid $180.00 for it about 10 years or so ago and it is
> > still going strong, but I honestly don't smoke that much.

> It sells for $650 and is made in China. It looked well constructed but
> I know these things depend on the quality of ceramic. I'd hate to
> spend that much and need to replace it soon. I think it's a brand new
> model

Ow. I think I'll stick with my steel ones...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Menards has a competing version now as well - looks like its
manufactured by "Big Steel Keg". $600

There is a website up comparing these to the Kamados:

http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

They also have a forum up:

http://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php...1&boa rd=12.0

Looks interesting.

STK

On Mar 19, 7:55*pm, Cam > wrote:
> I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
> getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.
>
> http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html
>
> Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:

>> .snip
>>> I think it deserves closer examination and discovery; I wouldn't
>>> kick it down the road just yet. :-) I'll swing by my local Lowes
>>> and see if that store has one in stock. You may have stumbled onto
>>> a good deal in ceramic cookers.

>> I just checked the BBQ Guru site, and there isn't an adapter to use
>> the Guru with the Bayou. So that seems to indicate it hasn't been
>> around for very long or it isn't real popular....yet. I also did a
>> quick peek at Amazon, and although it lists the cooker there are no
>> reviews.

> sorry to change the thread, but what is the advantage of the BBQ Guru
> stuff? It's not inexpensive.

The bbqguru pit regulation devices are wonderful when you want to do lazy Q
with lump or charcoal briquettes for fuel. Set and forget. My Kamado without
a Guru is terrific. My Kamado with a Guru is exquisite, especially for
overnight bbq sessions. For daytime sessions, I don't use it much unless I
will be away from the house for most of the day.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-03-20, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> sorry to change the thread, but what is the advantage of the BBQ Guru
>> stuff? It's not inexpensive.

> Looks like Rube Central!
>
> Who would pay $1700 for a smoker that holds temps at 90F,
> ferchrysakes? I could do that by putting the food on my porch.

ROTFLOL!!! Especially around here during orchard prunings burn season.

The Guru temperature control devices are good stuff, though, and far less
expensive than their newly developed line of pits.
--
Dave

Emeril's Bayou Blast? Green Mtn. Griller Barbecue 6 14-07-2006 01:58 AM
Bayou Slaw Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
Bayou Bread Pudding with Hot Rum Sauce txsage1957 Recipes (moderated) 0 19-02-2005 04:52 AM
Bayou Carlin Coleslaw 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 12-11-2004 02:20 PM
Bayou Chicken Surprise Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2004 01:15 PM