Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Bayou Classic

Cam wrote:
> I saw this pit at Lowe's. Anybody ever used one? I'm thinking of
> getting an Egg but this thing is almost half the cost.
>
> http://www.thebayou.com/Pages/Cypress%20Series.html

I've never heard of this brand before now. On first impression, it is a
handsome piece. I quickly scanned the url so I saw nothing related to
circumfrence of the grill, weight, etc. I would also want to know where it
is manufactured and by whom. The price, which includes shipping (it cost me
over 250.00 just to ship my Kamado) seems real reasonable if the product is
good. No details on the chimney control that I could see, nor do I
particularly like what I see regarding the draft door (the big issue there
is how tightly does it seal, and is it easy to slide when it gets heated
up). I like the base and the hefty casters. I would pay attention to the
fuel 'pan' setup and if there is the ability to put a deflector between the
fire and the cooking grate, just in case you want to do some jerky.

I think it deserves closer examination and discovery; I wouldn't kick it
down the road just yet. :-) I'll swing by my local Lowes and see if that
store has one in stock. You may have stumbled onto a good deal in ceramic
cookers.

--
Dave