Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Emeril's Bayou Blast?

This post kinda follows along the same line as the previous post "Favorite
brand name rubs". Has anybody tried this mixture as a dry rub for ribs?
The recipe is:

2.5 T. paprika
2 T. salt
2 T. garlic powder
1 T. grnd. blk. pepper
1 T. onion powder
1 T. cayenne pepper
1 T. dried grnd. thyme
1 T. dried grnd. oregano

Finding decent racks of ribs around here has become almost impossible over
the last few years; I guess the meat police decided that New England summers
are too short for grilling anything besides burgers, hot dogs and maybe a
steak or some chicken, even though some of us will snowblow the way to get
out to our grills! But, anyway, the local "mega-mart" is finally offering
some ribs and I was thinking of using the above as a dry rub, indirect heat
on a gas grill, and finishing some with a "sweetish" sauce (maybe a maple or
honey blend) for DW and leaving some "dry".

TIA for any feedback!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Abe wrote:

>>2.5 T. paprika
>>2 T. salt
>>2 T. garlic powder
>>1 T. grnd. blk. pepper
>>1 T. onion powder
>>1 T. cayenne pepper
>>1 T. dried grnd. thyme
>>1 T. dried grnd. oregano

> For me, thyme and/or oregano just don't belong on BBQ.

I like thyme. I'd only go with oregano for lamb, though.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. net...
> Abe wrote:
>
>>>2.5 T. paprika
>>>2 T. salt
>>>2 T. garlic powder
>>>1 T. grnd. blk. pepper
>>>1 T. onion powder
>>>1 T. cayenne pepper
>>>1 T. dried grnd. thyme
>>>1 T. dried grnd. oregano

>> For me, thyme and/or oregano just don't belong on BBQ.
>>

> I like thyme. I'd only go with oregano for lamb, though.
>
> --
> Reg

Ground Cumin??

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

go to zachspice.com and order some of their sweet rub. Made in Texas by
Texans who know what BBQ should be.

Green Mtn. Griller wrote:
> This post kinda follows along the same line as the previous post "Favorite
> brand name rubs". Has anybody tried this mixture as a dry rub for ribs?
> The recipe is:
>
> 2.5 T. paprika
> 2 T. salt
> 2 T. garlic powder
> 1 T. grnd. blk. pepper
> 1 T. onion powder
> 1 T. cayenne pepper
> 1 T. dried grnd. thyme
> 1 T. dried grnd. oregano
>
> Finding decent racks of ribs around here has become almost impossible over
> the last few years; I guess the meat police decided that New England summers
> are too short for grilling anything besides burgers, hot dogs and maybe a
> steak or some chicken, even though some of us will snowblow the way to get
> out to our grills! But, anyway, the local "mega-mart" is finally offering
> some ribs and I was thinking of using the above as a dry rub, indirect heat
> on a gas grill, and finishing some with a "sweetish" sauce (maybe a maple or
> honey blend) for DW and leaving some "dry".
>
> TIA for any feedback!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry" > wrote in message

:: "Reg" > wrote in message
:: . net...
::: Abe wrote:
:::
::::: 2.5 T. paprika
::::: 2 T. salt
::::: 2 T. garlic powder
::::: 1 T. grnd. blk. pepper
::::: 1 T. onion powder
::::: 1 T. cayenne pepper
::::: 1 T. dried grnd. thyme
::::: 1 T. dried grnd. oregano
::::
:::: For me, thyme and/or oregano just don't belong on BBQ.
::::
:::
::: I like thyme. I'd only go with oregano for lamb, though.
:::
::: --
::: Reg
:::
::
:: Ground Cumin??

*VERY* lightly. If you can taste the cumin, that's too much and it
starts to taste like it shoud be in the chili pot.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, BOB wrote:
>:: Ground Cumin??
>
> *VERY* lightly. If you can taste the cumin, that's too much and it
> starts to taste like it shoud be in the chili pot.

Yeah.. I tried a recipe from Food network's recipe archive (I actually found
the recipe on a Texas BBQ site) and tried it and the cumin was WAY too strong
and pretty much kept my wife from enjoying her meal..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Green Mtn. Griller" > wrote in message
> This post kinda follows along the same line as the previous post "Favorite
> brand name rubs". Has anybody tried this mixture as a dry rub for ribs?
> The recipe is:
>
> 2.5 T. paprika
> 2 T. salt
> 2 T. garlic powder
> 1 T. grnd. blk. pepper
> 1 T. onion powder
> 1 T. cayenne pepper
> 1 T. dried grnd. thyme
> 1 T. dried grnd. oregano
>
> Finding decent racks of ribs around here has become almost impossible over
> the last few years; I guess the meat police decided that New England
> summers are too short for grilling anything besides burgers, hot dogs and
> maybe a steak or some chicken, even though some of us will snowblow the
> way to get out to our grills! But, anyway, the local "mega-mart" is
> finally offering some ribs and I was thinking of using the above as a dry
> rub, indirect heat on a gas grill, and finishing some with a "sweetish"
> sauce (maybe a maple or honey blend) for DW and leaving some "dry".
>
> TIA for any feedback!

Thanks all for the advice and opinions. I found this at
www.otherwhitemeat.com:

Cajun Ribs

4 pounds pork back ribs
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon oregano leaves

Pretty close to Emeril's. Think I'll give it a try. I'll let you
know if the dogs feast or we do! Thanks again!

Bayou Classic Cam[_1_] Barbecue 10 21-03-2010 08:40 PM
Bayou Slaw Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:20 AM
Bayou Bread Pudding with Hot Rum Sauce txsage1957 Recipes (moderated) 0 19-02-2005 04:52 AM
Bayou Carlin Coleslaw 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 12-11-2004 02:20 PM
Bayou Chicken Surprise Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2004 01:15 PM