Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Default OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post

Deep fat frying, automatic fryers

My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
cabinet and floor.

The fryer contained oil that was last used to slow fry
chicken gizzards. I set it for 350F and turned it on.
Then I retrieved the basket from the sink drain rack and
placed it in the fryer while the oil was still cold.

The next thing I perceived was some mild simmering
sounds which appeared to be from some minor moisture
remaining in the fryer. A few bubbles were rising to the
surface and everything appeared to be operating normally.

I put the lid back on and a few minutes later all hell
broke loose. There was a small explosive sound and
expanding oil pushed the lid up and overflowed the
fryer. (The fryer was less then half full to start with).
I ran to turn the power off, but was repulsed at first
by continuing explosions and bursts of hot oil being
expelled from the fryer. I grabbed the lid off (mistake)
and finally got the power switch shut off without
getting burned or slipping in the oil pooling on the
floor.

What happened? I can only guess. But, here's what
I think caused the disaster. There was some residual
water in the tank which being heavier then oil, sank
to the bottom. The basket which was extracted from
the sink drain basket probably wasn't dry yet. Water
from the fry basket probably sank to the bottom as
well while the oil was warming up.

The water super heated during the warmup cycle of
the fryer. Instead of slowly boiling off as the oile heated,
the water remained at the bottom of the fryer, trapped
by the tension of the lighter oil above. At some point
when the water reached a very high temperature, it
suddenly decided to convert to steam. Voila! It
converted all at once, expelling much of the oil to
facilitate its escape from confinement.

This is not a new phenomonon, but it doesn't get much
press. It shouldn't have happened to me because I know
better. I just didn't pay attention this time.

1. used, contaminated oil.
Stir occasionally while heating to avoid trapping moisture
in the bottom.

If you want to argue about what caused the explosion, be my
guest. If you want to refute the inference that oil with no food
in it can explode for no obvious reason, come and clean up
my kitchen.

If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
in line.
--
Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

I hear Original Dawn is good for cleaning up oil. I know some Pet Dr's that
used it on the animals during the Exxon Oil Spill in AK. They said it worked
real well. I sure don't envy your clean up. Thank Goodness no one was
severely burnt.
Jacquie

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...
> Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
>
> My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> cabinet and floor.
>
> The fryer contained oil that was last used to slow fry
> chicken gizzards. I set it for 350F and turned it on.
> Then I retrieved the basket from the sink drain rack and
> placed it in the fryer while the oil was still cold.
>
> The next thing I perceived was some mild simmering
> sounds which appeared to be from some minor moisture
> remaining in the fryer. A few bubbles were rising to the
> surface and everything appeared to be operating normally.
>
> I put the lid back on and a few minutes later all hell
> broke loose. There was a small explosive sound and
> expanding oil pushed the lid up and overflowed the
> fryer. (The fryer was less then half full to start with).
> I ran to turn the power off, but was repulsed at first
> by continuing explosions and bursts of hot oil being
> expelled from the fryer. I grabbed the lid off (mistake)
> and finally got the power switch shut off without
> getting burned or slipping in the oil pooling on the
> floor.
>
> What happened? I can only guess. But, here's what
> I think caused the disaster. There was some residual
> water in the tank which being heavier then oil, sank
> to the bottom. The basket which was extracted from
> the sink drain basket probably wasn't dry yet. Water
> from the fry basket probably sank to the bottom as
> well while the oil was warming up.
>
> The water super heated during the warmup cycle of
> the fryer. Instead of slowly boiling off as the oile heated,
> the water remained at the bottom of the fryer, trapped
> by the tension of the lighter oil above. At some point
> when the water reached a very high temperature, it
> suddenly decided to convert to steam. Voila! It
> converted all at once, expelling much of the oil to
> facilitate its escape from confinement.
>
> This is not a new phenomonon, but it doesn't get much
> press. It shouldn't have happened to me because I know
> better. I just didn't pay attention this time.
>
> 1. used, contaminated oil.
> Stir occasionally while heating to avoid trapping moisture
> in the bottom.
>
> If you want to argue about what caused the explosion, be my
> guest. If you want to refute the inference that oil with no food
> in it can explode for no obvious reason, come and clean up
> my kitchen.
>
> If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> in line.
> --
> Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Brick wrote:
> Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
>
> My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> going to take awhile.

Jeez, Brick!! I'm sure glad no one was hurt.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...
> Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
>
> My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> cabinet and floor.

<snippage>

Damn Howard. Good that no one got burned.

Jacquie is right about the Dawn dish soap...

Joe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article . com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> cabinet and floor.

Geeze Brick!
Glad everyone is ok. What a mess! Good luck with the cleanup and I'll
also vouch for the grease cutting power of Dawn soap. Personally tho', I
use Ajax. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 05:38:57 GMT, Brick wrote:

> If you want to argue about what caused the explosion, be my
> guest.

It's all Gerardus's fault.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> n article . com>,
> "Brick" > wrote:
>
> > My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> > all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> > going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> > the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> > more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> > cabinet and floor.

> Geeze Brick!
> Glad everyone is ok. What a mess! Good luck with the cleanup and I'll
> also vouch for the grease cutting power of Dawn soap. Personally tho', I
> use Ajax. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

I bow to the power concerning grease cutter detergents. My housekeeper
swears by a product named "Greased Lightening" and demands that I keep
it on hand. It comes in gallon jugs accompanied by a quart sized spray
bottle. It goes for $10/gal at my local BJ's Wholesale Club.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 3/6/2010 12:38 AM, Brick wrote:
> Deep fat frying, automatic fryers

snip
> If you want to argue about what caused the explosion, be my
> guest. If you want to refute the inference that oil with no food
> in it can explode for no obvious reason, come and clean up
> my kitchen.
>
> If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> in line.

You've create a new weapon of mass destruction!

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food
BBQ BBQ is offline

On 3/5/2010 11:38 PM, Brick wrote:

> If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> in line.

Won't get in line. I have done dumb things with deep frying to. Not
paying attention to the pot of oil and come in to see a fire in the pot.
No damage, (except to the pot), but learned a lot that night !!!

BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article . com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 6-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > n article . com>,
> > "Brick" > wrote:
> >
> > > My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> > > all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> > > going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> > > the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> > > more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> > > cabinet and floor.

> > Geeze Brick!
> > Glad everyone is ok. What a mess! Good luck with the cleanup and I'll
> > also vouch for the grease cutting power of Dawn soap. Personally tho', I
> > use Ajax. :-)
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I bow to the power concerning grease cutter detergents. My housekeeper
> swears by a product named "Greased Lightening" and demands that I keep
> it on hand. It comes in gallon jugs accompanied by a quart sized spray
> bottle. It goes for $10/gal at my local BJ's Wholesale Club.

Good price. Did it work?
Honestly, I'd hate to be faced with that kind of mess. The worst thing
that's ever happened to me as far as kitchen messes go was blowing a
pressure cooker safety valve on a pot of beans and that was my fault for
over filling it.

I had to move the stove out and clean under and behind it and take apart
the stove hood and fan assembly to get the mess out of everything, as
well as cleaning the counters on both sides. <g>

Fortunately, when it happened, my friend Lynn' was there to help me! And
the mess was not greasy!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
BBQ > wrote:

> On 3/5/2010 11:38 PM, Brick wrote:
>

> > If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> > in line.

> Won't get in line. I have done dumb things with deep frying to. Not
> paying attention to the pot of oil and come in to see a fire in the pot.
> No damage, (except to the pot), but learned a lot that night !!!
>
> BBQ

That's why I like my fry daddy. No temp control so it never over-heats.
The temperature is perfect all the time, at least for what I do with
it...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 6-Mar-2010, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers

.. . .

> I'd suspect a wet fryer basket as the main culprit. I've noticed when
> trying
> to shake them dry that they hold a lot more water than you would guess.
> I'd
> be surprised if there was much if any water remaining from the previous
> cook, especially if you were frying at a moderate temp, which would allow
> time for the moisture to escape. I'm glad you escaped without getting
> burned.
>
> There's a grease remover called Greased Lightning that works pretty well,
> but more chemical odor than Dawn.

We will be using "Greased Lightning" today to finish cleaning up the mess.
I have some help coming in this afternoon to assist. We have to take the
curtains and venetian blinds down for washing as well as the cabinet, wall
and floor. It should be a fun day.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 6-Mar-2010, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
> >
> > My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> > all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> > going to take awhile.

> Jeez, Brick!! I'm sure glad no one was hurt.
> --
> Dave

I would have been dead long ago if I didn't have a guardian
angel looking out for me. I shudder to think what would have
happened to MCRC (Master Chef Richard Campbell) in
this situation.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article . com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 6-Mar-2010, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> > Brick wrote:
> > > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
> > >
> > > My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> > > all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> > > going to take awhile.

> > Jeez, Brick!! I'm sure glad no one was hurt.
> > --
> > Dave

> I would have been dead long ago if I didn't have a guardian
> angel looking out for me. I shudder to think what would have
> happened to MCRC (Master Chef Richard Campbell) in
> this situation.

<laughs> Too true! I've not heard from him in awhile. Is he still alive?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 6-Mar-2010, piedmont > wrote:

> On 3/6/2010 12:38 AM, Brick wrote:
> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers

> snip
> > If you want to argue about what caused the explosion, be my
> > guest. If you want to refute the inference that oil with no food
> > in it can explode for no obvious reason, come and clean up
> > my kitchen.
> >
> > If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> > in line.

> You've create a new weapon of mass destruction!

When I read that, the first thing that jumped into my mind was,
"mass dysfunction".

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 6-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> BBQ > wrote:
>
> > On 3/5/2010 11:38 PM, Brick wrote:
> >

> > > If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> > > in line.

> > Won't get in line. I have done dumb things with deep frying to. Not
> > paying attention to the pot of oil and come in to see a fire in the
> > pot.
> > No damage, (except to the pot), but learned a lot that night !!!
> >
> > BBQ

> That's why I like my fry daddy. No temp control so it never over-heats.
> The temperature is perfect all the time, at least for what I do with
> it...
> --
> Peace! Om

My disaster was not a result of overheating per se. The temp was set at
350F and it did not exceed that by any means. The problem was likely
water that was trapped in or under the oil. 350F is definitely overheated
for water, thus the explosion when it went critical.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Brick wrote:
> On 6-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> BBQ > wrote:

>>> Won't get in line. I have done dumb things with deep frying to. Not
>>> paying attention to the pot of oil and come in to see a fire in the
>>> pot.
>>> No damage, (except to the pot), but learned a lot that night !!!
>>>
>>> BBQ

>> That's why I like my fry daddy. No temp control so it never over-heats.
>> The temperature is perfect all the time, at least for what I do with
>> it...
>> --
>> Peace! Om

> My disaster was not a result of overheating per se. The temp was set at
> 350F and it did not exceed that by any means. The problem was likely
> water that was trapped in or under the oil. 350F is definitely overheated
> for water, thus the explosion when it went critical.

Ditto the other replies on glad you're not injured or suffering a fire loss.

If you can tolerate reliving this horror, Mythbusters covered the
explosive properties of hot fry oil and water this last season:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters/

(scroll though recent - 6 or 7 pages in)

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/myth...g-angle-4.html
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
says...

> On 6-Mar-2010, Gerardus > wrote:
>
> > In article . com>,

says...

> > > I'm not sure what you meant by;
> > >
> > > Quote: > Even fries that used beef and horse fat
> > > Unquote.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you referred to the different "smoke point" of
> > > the oils. But maybe you were referring to the "taste".
> > >

> > Surely the smoke point is different...
> >
> > But, when frying chinese rolls, some juices go in the oil;
> > when frying croquettes, some bread crumbs go in the oil;
> > when frying whitings, some fish taste go in the oil...
> >
> > This oil needs to be changed more often than the fries fat !
> >

> > Gerardus

> I understand that. We like to cook fries last because
> they "clean" the oil somewhat. Sometimes I filter oil
> if it has only crumbs in it.
>
> I appreciate the taste of different oils or lard. I don't deep
> fry with olive oil because it costs four times as much as
> vegetable oil or lard, but I do use it to skillet fry. Likewise
> with peanut oil. It is about twice as expensive as vegetable
> oil, but it has a uniquely desireable taste.

Surely fries are great only when horse fat is present ;-) !

Previously, only peanut oil was "allowed" for very high temperatures
only beaten by grappe seed oil !

Now, I learnt only is in the purity of the oil so you can use
ghee for fries provided your ghee is 99.9999% fat ;-) !

Gerardus
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 6-Mar-2010, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > BBQ > wrote:

> > > Won't get in line. I have done dumb things with deep frying to. Not
> > > paying attention to the pot of oil and come in to see a fire in the
> > > pot.
> > > No damage, (except to the pot), but learned a lot that night !!!
> > >
> > > BBQ

> > That's why I like my fry daddy. No temp control so it never over-heats.
> > The temperature is perfect all the time, at least for what I do with
> > it...
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> My disaster was not a result of overheating per se. The temp was set at
> 350F and it did not exceed that by any means. The problem was likely
> water that was trapped in or under the oil. 350F is definitely overheated
> for water, thus the explosion when it went critical.

It makes sense...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Gerardus wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>> On 6-Mar-2010, Gerardus > wrote:
>>
>>> In article . com>,

says...

>>> Surely the smoke point is different...
>>>
>>> But, when frying chinese rolls, some juices go in the oil;
>>> when frying croquettes, some bread crumbs go in the oil;
>>> when frying whitings, some fish taste go in the oil...
>>>
>>> This oil needs to be changed more often than the fries fat !
>>>

>>> Gerardus

>> I understand that. We like to cook fries last because
>> they "clean" the oil somewhat. Sometimes I filter oil
>> if it has only crumbs in it.
>>
>> I appreciate the taste of different oils or lard. I don't deep
>> fry with olive oil because it costs four times as much as
>> vegetable oil or lard, but I do use it to skillet fry. Likewise
>> with peanut oil. It is about twice as expensive as vegetable
>> oil, but it has a uniquely desireable taste.
>>

> Surely fries are great only when horse fat is present ;-) !
>
> Previously, only peanut oil was "allowed" for very high temperatures
> only beaten by grappe seed oil !
>
> Now, I learnt only is in the purity of the oil so you can use
> ghee for fries provided your ghee is 99.9999% fat ;-) !
>

> Gerardus

The real 'bomb' is duck fat.

trust me...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...
> Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
>
> My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> all over the place. No one was injured, but cleanup is
> going to take awhile. About two quarts of hot oil escaped
> the fryer, some finding a new home on curtains a foot or
> more above the fryer. A great deal more covered the
> cabinet and floor.
>
> The fryer contained oil that was last used to slow fry
> chicken gizzards. I set it for 350F and turned it on.
> Then I retrieved the basket from the sink drain rack and
> placed it in the fryer while the oil was still cold.
>
> The next thing I perceived was some mild simmering
> sounds which appeared to be from some minor moisture
> remaining in the fryer. A few bubbles were rising to the
> surface and everything appeared to be operating normally.
>
> I put the lid back on and a few minutes later all hell
> broke loose. There was a small explosive sound and
> expanding oil pushed the lid up and overflowed the
> fryer. (The fryer was less then half full to start with).
> I ran to turn the power off, but was repulsed at first
> by continuing explosions and bursts of hot oil being
> expelled from the fryer. I grabbed the lid off (mistake)
> and finally got the power switch shut off without
> getting burned or slipping in the oil pooling on the
> floor.
>
> What happened? I can only guess. But, here's what
> I think caused the disaster. There was some residual
> water in the tank which being heavier then oil, sank
> to the bottom. The basket which was extracted from
> the sink drain basket probably wasn't dry yet. Water
> from the fry basket probably sank to the bottom as
> well while the oil was warming up.
>
> The water super heated during the warmup cycle of
> the fryer. Instead of slowly boiling off as the oile heated,
> the water remained at the bottom of the fryer, trapped
> by the tension of the lighter oil above. At some point
> when the water reached a very high temperature, it
> suddenly decided to convert to steam. Voila! It
> converted all at once, expelling much of the oil to
> facilitate its escape from confinement.
>
> This is not a new phenomonon, but it doesn't get much
> press. It shouldn't have happened to me because I know
> better. I just didn't pay attention this time.
>
> 1. used, contaminated oil.
> Stir occasionally while heating to avoid trapping moisture
> in the bottom.
>
> If you want to argue about what caused the explosion, be my
> guest. If you want to refute the inference that oil with no food
> in it can explode for no obvious reason, come and clean up
> my kitchen.
>
> If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> in line.
> --
> Brick(Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.)

What is the brand and model # of the fryer?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Cleatarrior wrote:

> The real 'bomb' is duck fat.
>
> trust me...

Wild goose fat is even better than duck and swan fat too, but horse has
the healthiest fat profile.

JJ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Brick wrote:

> If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> in line.

I would suggest you remove the oil and strain it after each use. I think
that the fryer should be fitted with a sight glass, like on a aviation
fuel tank, so water accumulation can be seen and a bottom drain valve to
remove the offending liquid.

JJ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jeremy wrote:

> Cleatarrior wrote:
>
>> The real 'bomb' is duck fat.
>>
>> trust me...

> Wild goose fat is even better than duck and swan fat too, but horse has
> the healthiest fat profile.
>
> JJ

+1 on the goose fat. I'd have to say it's the all-time champeen
in the lipid dept.

I like the swan fat idea. Hmmmm... I live right near a lake.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 7-Mar-2010, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers
> >
> > My fryer exploded today and blew a lot of hot oil
> > all over the place.

> IIRC, aren't you using a Waring Pro deep fryer? That's what I have and I
> think we've compared notes before, about the temperature not coming up to
> max, and you had a quick and dirty fix for it.
>
> MartyB

The machine I have is a Krups. It operates with a little over a gallon of
oil. The max oil line is at about the half full point on the tank.

My first Krups deep fryer wouldn't get anywhere near 375F so I took it
back and got another one. The replacement acted the same way and Krups
support was worthless except for replacing whole units.

I tore into it and found a sealed adjustment screw. Using a Taylor candy
thermometer as a reference, I reset it to make the temperature control
correspond to the Taylor. I've check it several times in the last year or
so and it is holding its setting. Fix is not so quick, but if dirty relates
crude, then it fits that criteria.

My unit has an analog control with a simple lamp to indicate heater element
on/off.

--
Brick (And that's all I have to say about that)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2010, "Kent" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...
> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers

.. . .

> What is the brand and model # of the fryer?
>
> Kent

Krups, Model E44863

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2010, Jeremy > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > If you just want to call me a dumb shit, take a number and get
> > in line.

> I would suggest you remove the oil and strain it after each use. I think
> that the fryer should be fitted with a sight glass, like on a aviation
> fuel tank, so water accumulation can be seen and a bottom drain valve to
> remove the offending liquid.
>
> JJ

Excellent idea JJ, but not practical in a world run by Bean Counters.
The mods would increase the unit cost by more then a couple of dollars
and are thus unacceptable to the people that control the design.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 6-Mar-2010, "Nunya Bidnits" >
> wrote:
>
>> Brick said:
>> > Deep fat frying, automatic fryers

> . . .
>
>> I'd suspect a wet fryer basket as the main culprit. I've noticed when
>> trying
>> to shake them dry that they hold a lot more water than you would guess.
>> I'd
>> be surprised if there was much if any water remaining from the previous
>> cook, especially if you were frying at a moderate temp, which would allow
>> time for the moisture to escape. I'm glad you escaped without getting
>> burned.
>>
>> There's a grease remover called Greased Lightning that works pretty well,
>> but more chemical odor than Dawn.

> We will be using "Greased Lightning" today to finish cleaning up the mess.
> I have some help coming in this afternoon to assist. We have to take the
> curtains and venetian blinds down for washing as well as the cabinet, wall
> and floor. It should be a fun day.

And now for the question no one has asked yet...
Is the fryer salvageable?

I hate that the catastrophe happened at all, but that was a nice fryer you
had.

TFM® - who REALLY hates cleaning grease

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
Jeremy > wrote:

> Cleatarrior wrote:
>
> > The real 'bomb' is duck fat.
> >
> > trust me...

> Wild goose fat is even better than duck and swan fat too, but horse has
> the healthiest fat profile.
>
> JJ

But most people in America don't have access to horse meat. I'd
personally love to try it.

I learned years ago when it came to livestock to separate my pets from
my food animals... I only draw the line at cats and dogs. ;-) I just
could not handle that.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Jeremy wrote:
>
> > Cleatarrior wrote:
> >
> >> The real 'bomb' is duck fat.
> >>
> >> trust me...

> > Wild goose fat is even better than duck and swan fat too, but horse has
> > the healthiest fat profile.
> >
> > JJ

> +1 on the goose fat. I'd have to say it's the all-time champeen
> in the lipid dept.
>
> I like the swan fat idea. Hmmmm... I live right near a lake.

I've never eaten swan, but I have had peacock. They are fantastic.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> I've never eaten swan, but I have had peacock. They are fantastic.

Yeah, you probably even found a way to make jewelry from the
feathers.

Hey, you think they'll mind if I borrow a few from the Golden Gate
Park? I suppose only the young ones are any good...

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > I've never eaten swan, but I have had peacock. They are fantastic.

> Yeah, you probably even found a way to make jewelry from the
> feathers.
>
> Hey, you think they'll mind if I borrow a few from the Golden Gate
> Park? I suppose only the young ones are any good...

They do tend to over-propagate the males.<g>
And yes, the tips of the tailfeathers make dandy earrings!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:13:09 -0800, Mort wrote:

> I like the swan fat idea. Hmmmm... I live right near a lake.

Careful. I recounted my story of living near a lake and bagging a
duck early one morning and the kooks came out of the walls.

I suspect that for a swan they will actually mobilize their forces.
sf/Barbara is their leader, so she could be armed and at your house
in no time flat.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,ba.food

Default Peacocks (was: OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post)

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:31:45 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> They do tend to over-propagate the males.<g>
> And yes, the tips of the tailfeathers make dandy earrings!

Swans or peacocks?

In the days of my youth in the early 80's I had to spend a few hours
at a time, a day at most here and there, at Elmwood in San
Jose/Milpitas. It's an "open campus" jail with over 200 peacocks
running around and making a huge racket and mess. That's in
addition to the 900 apes, baboons, and hyenas who are there
involuntarily. It's very surreal under those circumstances.

I don't know what they were in for, but they seemed to enjoy it
there and made no attempt to escape (the peacocks that is). I can't
imagine the inmates giving up valuable food to feed them, so they
must fly out to get food (at the dump?) and then come back. There
is one tiny little pond on the property, about 50 feet in diameter.
Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing to attract them.

It's a very little known fact since nobody wants to say "You know
what I saw while at Elmwood?", but apparently they're still there.
This is the only mention I can find of it:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6223943AAcaHix

Anybody know what the deal with peacocks is? And how much meat they
yield?

(Crossposted to ba.food)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Has anybody mentioned that you're not supposed to have the lid on
when you heat or fry with oil? The lid is *only* for storage.

Therein probably lies your problem. Condensation that couldn't
escape.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:13:09 -0800, Mort wrote:
>
> > I like the swan fat idea. Hmmmm... I live right near a lake.

> Careful. I recounted my story of living near a lake and bagging a
> duck early one morning and the kooks came out of the walls.
>
> I suspect that for a swan they will actually mobilize their forces.
> sf/Barbara is their leader, so she could be armed and at your house
> in no time flat.
>
> -sw

No, Barb is a liberal and does not own a gun...
She might bring a spatula tho'. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

TN: a week of drive-by notes (long/boring) DaleW Wine 2 06-12-2012 11:01 PM
Deep fryer oil [email protected] General Cooking 12 28-10-2009 05:40 PM
t-fal deep fryer linda dumoulin General Cooking 2 13-04-2005 09:27 PM
Deep Fryer Jimbo Cooking Equipment 3 01-12-2004 09:59 AM
Warning: Long newbie post Troy Winemaking 4 24-11-2003 03:49 PM