Posted to alt.food.barbecue,ba.food

Default Peacocks (was: OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post)

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:31:45 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > They do tend to over-propagate the males.<g>
> > And yes, the tips of the tailfeathers make dandy earrings!

> Swans or peacocks?

Both! But peacocks are famous for those gorgeous feathers and they make
nice earrings.

> In the days of my youth in the early 80's I had to spend a few hours
> at a time, a day at most here and there, at Elmwood in San
> Jose/Milpitas. It's an "open campus" jail with over 200 peacocks
> running around and making a huge racket and mess. That's in
> addition to the 900 apes, baboons, and hyenas who are there
> involuntarily. It's very surreal under those circumstances.
>
> I don't know what they were in for, but they seemed to enjoy it
> there and made no attempt to escape (the peacocks that is). I can't
> imagine the inmates giving up valuable food to feed them, so they
> must fly out to get food (at the dump?) and then come back. There
> is one tiny little pond on the property, about 50 feet in diameter.
> Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing to attract them.
>
> It's a very little known fact since nobody wants to say "You know
> what I saw while at Elmwood?", but apparently they're still there.
> This is the only mention I can find of it:
>
> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6223943AAcaHix
>
> Anybody know what the deal with peacocks is? And how much meat they
> yield?
>
> (Crossposted to ba.food)
>
> -sw

About as much meat as a large duck (Muscovie) and they taste like
pheasant. Seriously. We had a friend that raised them and many other
birds when I was a kid and she'd pay mom in "meat" for helping her do
butchering. Us kids would help, especially with pigeons because our
hands were smaller so it was easier for us to dig the guts out of the
body cavities.

I learned at a very early age where my meals came from...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Default OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post

On 7-Mar-2010, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?= >
wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...
> >
> > On 6-Mar-2010, "Nunya Bidnits"
> > >
> > wrote:

> > . . .
> >
> >> I'd suspect a wet fryer basket as the main culprit. I've noticed when
> >> trying
> >> to shake them dry that they hold a lot more water than you would
> >> guess.
> >> I'd
> >> be surprised if there was much if any water remaining from the
> >> previous
> >> cook, especially if you were frying at a moderate temp, which would
> >> allow
> >> time for the moisture to escape. I'm glad you escaped without getting
> >> burned.
> >>
> >> There's a grease remover called Greased Lightning that works pretty
> >> well,
> >> but more chemical odor than Dawn.

> > We will be using "Greased Lightning" today to finish cleaning up the
> > mess.
> > I have some help coming in this afternoon to assist. We have to take
> > the
> > curtains and venetian blinds down for washing as well as the cabinet,
> > wall
> > and floor. It should be a fun day.

> And now for the question no one has asked yet...
> Is the fryer salvageable?
>
> I hate that the catastrophe happened at all, but that was a nice fryer
> you
> had.
>
> TFM® - who REALLY hates cleaning grease

Hells bells; the fryer didn't suffer at all except for the dousing in oil.
All of the action took place inside of the tank and did not include any
of the electrics. It was quite spectacular to watch in a masochistic
sort of way. There was a series of eruptions kind of like a geyser,
but these consisted of large amounts of oil being blown out of the
tank with each mini event. Judging from the approximately two
quarts of oil left in the tank, I had about two quarts of hot oil
distrubuted all over my cabinet, curtains, blinds and of course the'
floor. The kitchen as well as the fryer are back in action. It just
need a lot of grease cutter and elbow grease to clean up the mess.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:13:09 -0800, Mort wrote:
>
> > I like the swan fat idea. Hmmmm... I live right near a lake.

> Careful. I recounted my story of living near a lake and bagging a
> duck early one morning and the kooks came out of the walls.
>
> I suspect that for a swan they will actually mobilize their forces.
> sf/Barbara is their leader, so she could be armed and at your house
> in no time flat.
>
> -sw

Hey! don't laugh. Somebody hit a big Pekin duck in my neighborhood
and one of our denser femaile citizens scarfed the wounded animal up
and carried it to an emergency veterinarian to the tune of ~$800. The
duck servived a broken leg and is merrily terrorizing the neighborhood
again. Frankly, I would have ate the wounded duck and replaced it with
another from a local farm.

You can't endanger Bambi or Thumper around here without
consequences.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Has anybody mentioned that you're not supposed to have the lid on
> when you heat or fry with oil? The lid is *only* for storage.
>
> Therein probably lies your problem. Condensation that couldn't
> escape.
>
> -sw

Methinks thee needst get up do date on the current generation
of automated fryers. They have filtered vented covers and are
designed to fry with the lid on to minimize oil vapor escaping to
coat all of your kitchen surfaces.

I think you are mostly correct in this particular case though. The
day before I was slow frying chicken gizzards at or below 212F.
I suspect that moisture driven out of the gizzards sank to the bottom
instead of boiling off as I expected they would. The next time
I turned on the fryer, I had it set at 350F and boom, the pool
of water at the bottom of the fryer overheated and then converted
suddenly to steam, resulting in explosive like eruptions of oil
out of the tank.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:57:20 GMT, Brick wrote:

> Hey! don't laugh. Somebody hit a big Pekin duck in my neighborhood
> and one of our denser femaile citizens scarfed the wounded animal up
> and carried it to an emergency veterinarian to the tune of ~$800.

I would never pay $800 for a Peking duck. I could make 20 of them
at home for that price.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:15:14 GMT, Brick wrote:

> Methinks thee needst get up do date on the current generation
> of automated fryers. They have filtered vented covers and are
> designed to fry with the lid on to minimize oil vapor escaping to
> coat all of your kitchen surfaces.

Most of just have plain 'ol deep fryers or pots full of oil. The
"default" home deep fryer doesn't recommended deep frying with the
lid on.

And when I look up your Krups or Krupps E44863, I don't get any
results on google except your post.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Has anybody mentioned that you're not supposed to have the lid on
> when you heat or fry with oil? The lid is *only* for storage.
>
> Therein probably lies your problem. Condensation that couldn't
> escape.

His lid is vented and is intended for use while frying. Been there, seen it
in action. Also saw them on Good Eats.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Omelet said:
> > In article . com>,

> >> I would have been dead long ago if I didn't have a guardian
> >> angel looking out for me. I shudder to think what would have
> >> happened to MCRC (Master Chef Richard Campbell) in
> >> this situation.

> > <laughs> Too true! I've not heard from him in awhile. Is he still
> > alive?

> He died in a turkey frier explosion, struck in the head by turkey shrapnel.

That's not funny!
Iirc, he's still around playing fantasy football?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article > ,
TFM® > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > Has anybody mentioned that you're not supposed to have the lid on
> > when you heat or fry with oil? The lid is *only* for storage.
> >
> > Therein probably lies your problem. Condensation that couldn't
> > escape.

> His lid is vented and is intended for use while frying. Been there, seen it
> in action. Also saw them on Good Eats.
>
> TFM®

Glad to see you posting again babe. <waves> Hi!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:20:14 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> That's not funny!
> Iirc, he's still around playing fantasy football?

Football season is over. He may have joined up in the baseball
league, but I skipped that this year. They play way too many
baseball games in a season for me to even fantasize about.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:55:49 -0500, TFM® wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Has anybody mentioned that you're not supposed to have the lid on
>> when you heat or fry with oil? The lid is *only* for storage.
>>
>> Therein probably lies your problem. Condensation that couldn't
>> escape.

> His lid is vented and is intended for use while frying. Been there, seen it
> in action. Also saw them on Good Eats.

Yeah, like I'm going to believe some dumb-ass newbie.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:20:14 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > That's not funny!
> > Iirc, he's still around playing fantasy football?

> Football season is over. He may have joined up in the baseball
> league, but I skipped that this year. They play way too many
> baseball games in a season for me to even fantasize about.
>
> -sw

I never played either one. Don't even know how! I'm more of a
Basketball fan.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:55:49 -0500, TFM® wrote:
>
> > "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> >> Has anybody mentioned that you're not supposed to have the lid on
> >> when you heat or fry with oil? The lid is *only* for storage.
> >>
> >> Therein probably lies your problem. Condensation that couldn't
> >> escape.

> > His lid is vented and is intended for use while frying. Been there, seen
> > it
> > in action. Also saw them on Good Eats.

> Yeah, like I'm going to believe some dumb-ass newbie.
>
> -sw

<coughs>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

> My first Krups deep fryer wouldn't get anywhere near 375F so I took it
> back and got another one. The replacement acted the same way and Krups
> support was worthless except for replacing whole units.
>
> I tore into it and found a sealed adjustment screw. Using a Taylor candy
> thermometer as a reference, I reset it to make the temperature control
> correspond to the Taylor. I've check it several times in the last year or
> so and it is holding its setting. Fix is not so quick, but if dirty relates

Fricken Engineers..... Can't keep their fingers off the screws.

Good on ya Brick.

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 2010-03-08, Craig Watts > wrote:
>> My first Krups deep fryer wouldn't get anywhere near 375F so I took it
>> back and got another one. The replacement acted the same way and Krups
>> support was worthless except for replacing whole units.
>>
>> I tore into it and found a sealed adjustment screw. Using a Taylor candy
>> thermometer as a reference, I reset it to make the temperature control
>> correspond to the Taylor. I've check it several times in the last year or
>> so and it is holding its setting. Fix is not so quick, but if dirty relates

> Fricken Engineers..... Can't keep their fingers off the screws.

Could be it's not be used as directed. I had a small counter top deep
fryer that wouldn't get up to temp, also. I later discovered the 2
qt vessel was only suppose to be filled about 40%. I was over filling
it.

nb

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

notbob wrote:

> On 2010-03-08, Craig Watts > wrote:
>
>>>My first Krups deep fryer wouldn't get anywhere near 375F so I took it
>>>back and got another one. The replacement acted the same way and Krups
>>>support was worthless except for replacing whole units.
>>>
>>>I tore into it and found a sealed adjustment screw. Using a Taylor candy
>>>thermometer as a reference, I reset it to make the temperature control
>>>correspond to the Taylor. I've check it several times in the last year or
>>>so and it is holding its setting. Fix is not so quick, but if dirty relates

>>Fricken Engineers..... Can't keep their fingers off the screws.

> Could be it's not be used as directed. I had a small counter top deep
> fryer that wouldn't get up to temp, also. I later discovered the 2
> qt vessel was only suppose to be filled about 40%. I was over filling
> it.

Key point. Overfilling is bad no matter which equipment
you use.

Good thing brick was smart enough not to overfill. Could
have been much worse.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food
BBQ BBQ is offline

On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> "Nunya > wrote:
>
>> Omelet said:
>>> In onster.com>,

>>> <laughs> Too true! I've not heard from him in awhile. Is he still
>>> alive?

>> He died in a turkey frier explosion, struck in the head by turkey shrapnel.

> That's not funny!
> Iirc, he's still around playing fantasy football?

But football is over now!!! Maybe the twins are more of a challenge to
care for then he thought :-)

Fosco and Harry too have not been seen around here. Where are you guys?

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
BBQ > wrote:

> > That's not funny!
> > Iirc, he's still around playing fantasy football?

> But football is over now!!! Maybe the twins are more of a challenge to
> care for then he thought :-)

Very likely. <g>

> Fosco and Harry too have not been seen around here. Where are you guys?
>
> BBQ

Anyone know them in person?

It's been good to see TFM checking back in. He's been tied up with
computer RPG's. Those are VERY addicting.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:15:14 GMT, Brick wrote:
>
> > Methinks thee needst get up do date on the current generation
> > of automated fryers. They have filtered vented covers and are
> > designed to fry with the lid on to minimize oil vapor escaping to
> > coat all of your kitchen surfaces.

> Most of just have plain 'ol deep fryers or pots full of oil. The
> "default" home deep fryer doesn't recommended deep frying with the
> lid on.
>
> And when I look up your Krups or Krupps E44863, I don't get any
> results on google except your post.
>
> -sw

Try "krups appliance" or just go to;

http://www.krups.com/Home.htm

However, they don't list a fryer in their product list anymore. But you
can purchase a similar booby trap from a number of other venders.
There's nothing wrong with the technology or this particular fryer. It
has to be attributed to "operator error" excaberated by an unusual
frying scenario triggered by Gerardus and his 'slo fried gizzards'
post.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:57:20 GMT, Brick wrote:
>
> > Hey! don't laugh. Somebody hit a big Pekin duck in my neighborhood
> > and one of our denser femaile citizens scarfed the wounded animal up
> > and carried it to an emergency veterinarian to the tune of ~$800.

> I would never pay $800 for a Peking duck. I could make 20 of them
> at home for that price.
>
> -sw

These guys aren't made in the kitchen they hatch as Pekin ducks:

http://www.avianweb.com/pekinducks.html

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On 8-Mar-2010, Craig Watts > wrote:

> > My first Krups deep fryer wouldn't get anywhere near 375F so I took it
> > back and got another one. The replacement acted the same way and Krups
> > support was worthless except for replacing whole units.
> >
> > I tore into it and found a sealed adjustment screw. Using a Taylor
> > candy
> > thermometer as a reference, I reset it to make the temperature control
> > correspond to the Taylor. I've check it several times in the last year
> > or
> > so and it is holding its setting. Fix is not so quick, but if dirty
> > relates

> Fricken Engineers..... Can't keep their fingers off the screws.
>
> Good on ya Brick.
>
> Craig

I represent that remark.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 8-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:57:20 GMT, Brick wrote:
>>
>>> Hey! don't laugh. Somebody hit a big Pekin duck in my neighborhood
>>> and one of our denser femaile citizens scarfed the wounded animal up
>>> and carried it to an emergency veterinarian to the tune of ~$800.

>> I would never pay $800 for a Peking duck. I could make 20 of them
>> at home for that price.
>>
>> -sw

> These guys aren't made in the kitchen they hatch as Pekin ducks:
>
> http://www.avianweb.com/pekinducks.html

Yes - there is a difference between Pekin (breed of) duck and Peking
(culinary preparation) duck.

MargW
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 01:19:22 GMT, Brick wrote:

> On 8-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:15:14 GMT, Brick wrote:
>>
>>> Methinks thee needst get up do date on the current generation
>>> of automated fryers. They have filtered vented covers and are
>>> designed to fry with the lid on to minimize oil vapor escaping to
>>> coat all of your kitchen surfaces.

>> Most of just have plain 'ol deep fryers or pots full of oil. The
>> "default" home deep fryer doesn't recommended deep frying with the
>> lid on.
>>
>> And when I look up your Krups or Krupps E44863, I don't get any
>> results on google except your post.
>>

> Try "krups appliance" or just go to;
>
> http://www.krups.com/Home.htm
>
> However, they don't list a fryer in their product list anymore. But you
> can purchase a similar booby trap from a number of other venders.
> There's nothing wrong with the technology or this particular fryer. It
> has to be attributed to "operator error" excaberated by an unusual
> frying scenario triggered by Gerardus and his 'slo fried gizzards'
> post.

I've tried that URL about 12 times over the last 18 hours.

I'm sorry, but I do my research thoroughly and have the logs to
prove it.

"Krups website could not be reached for comment. Not that their
fryer was any help".

I don't even think their website is still alive. You must have put
them out of business. Good going Brick! :-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 23:25:30 GMT, notbob wrote:

> Could be it's not be used as directed. I had a small counter top deep
> fryer that wouldn't get up to temp, also. I later discovered the 2
> qt vessel was only suppose to be filled about 40%. I was over filling
> it.

I have never experienced a deep friar better than my POS Magnalite
Dutch Oven. God bless it's sole. It was borne to do nothing else.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Nick Cramer wrote:

> BBQ > wrote:
>
>>[ . . . ]
>>Fosco and Harry too have not been seen around here. Where are you guys?

> Harry came down with a progressively debilitating brain disease a while
> back and is permanently in a care facility. I get occasional emails from
> his wonderful wife, Samantha.

That's a terrible shame. He was a real gentleman and he had
outstanding taste in food.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

BBQ > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Fosco and Harry too have not been seen around here. Where are you guys?

Harry came down with a progressively debilitating brain disease a while
back and is permanently in a care facility. I get occasional emails from
his wonderful wife, Samantha.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> BBQ > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Fosco and Harry too have not been seen around here. Where are you guys?

> Harry came down with a progressively debilitating brain disease a while
> back and is permanently in a care facility. I get occasional emails from
> his wonderful wife, Samantha.

Are you serious? That's so sad! :-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:47:35 -0600, BBQ wrote:

> On 3/8/2010 1:20 PM, Omelet wrote:
>> In >,

>>> He died in a turkey frier explosion, struck in the head by turkey shrapnel.

>> That's not funny!
>> Iirc, he's still around playing fantasy football?

> But football is over now!!! Maybe the twins are more of a challenge to
> care for then he thought :-)
>
> Fosco and Harry too have not been seen around here. Where are you guys?

Fosco is running the baseball league. He's still very much around.
Don't know what happened to Hairy.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 01:28:03 GMT, Brick wrote:

> On 8-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:57:20 GMT, Brick wrote:
>>
>>> Hey! don't laugh. Somebody hit a big Pekin duck in my neighborhood
>>> and one of our denser femaile citizens scarfed the wounded animal up
>>> and carried it to an emergency veterinarian to the tune of ~$800.

>> I would never pay $800 for a Peking duck. I could make 20 of them
>> at home for that price.

> These guys aren't made in the kitchen they hatch as Pekin ducks:
>
> http://www.avianweb.com/pekinducks.html

Hrmpff. You guys are no fun at all.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.binaries.food

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Cleatarrior said:
>
>> The real 'bomb' is duck fat.
>>
>> trust me...

> What he said.
>
> MBKC

Makes my mouth water.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:57:20 GMT, Brick wrote:
>
>> Hey! don't laugh. Somebody hit a big Pekin duck in my neighborhood
>> and one of our denser femaile citizens scarfed the wounded animal up
>> and carried it to an emergency veterinarian to the tune of ~$800.

> I would never pay $800 for a Peking duck. I could make 20 of them
> at home for that price.
>
> -sw

You could get real popular doing that!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Brick said:
>> On 7-Mar-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Has anybody mentioned that you're not supposed to have the lid on
>>> when you heat or fry with oil? The lid is *only* for storage.
>>>
>>> Therein probably lies your problem. Condensation that couldn't
>>> escape.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Methinks thee needst get up do date on the current generation
>> of automated fryers. They have filtered vented covers and are
>> designed to fry with the lid on to minimize oil vapor escaping to
>> coat all of your kitchen surfaces.
>>
>> I think you are mostly correct in this particular case though. The
>> day before I was slow frying chicken gizzards at or below 212F.
>> I suspect that moisture driven out of the gizzards sank to the bottom
>> instead of boiling off as I expected they would. The next time
>> I turned on the fryer, I had it set at 350F and boom, the pool
>> of water at the bottom of the fryer overheated and then converted
>> suddenly to steam, resulting in explosive like eruptions of oil
>> out of the tank.

> I may need to correct myself on my belief that water won't accumulate from
> cooking, if indeed it's done at or below 212F. I never fry anything that
> low. At those temps, yes, water won't be forced to the surface of the food
> as steam and escape, it probably just accumulates. But I can't see any
> reason for frying at that sort of temperature.
>
> MartyB

Funny you mention that.

America's Test Kitchen has a recipe (July-Aug. '09 issue) where you
start French fries in cold oil, come to temp (a rolling boil)- 350f on
my machine - then cook once for a total of 20-25 minutes.

The theory is that the cold start gives the fries time to develop on the
inside and then get a nice crispy exterior.

They recommend using Yukon gold potatoes and I can guaranty this method
works, and works well.

The fries are almost mashed potato creamy inside with a perfect golden
exterior crisp.

I haven't had any issues with water accumulating in the deep fryer doing
it this way, but I do pat the fries dry before they go in.

And no, they don't seem to hold any more oil than the traditional
blanch/rest/fry method.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cleatarrior wrote:

> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>

>> I may need to correct myself on my belief that water won't accumulate
>> from
>> cooking, if indeed it's done at or below 212F. I never fry anything that
>> low. At those temps, yes, water won't be forced to the surface of the
>> food
>> as steam and escape, it probably just accumulates. But I can't see any
>> reason for frying at that sort of temperature.
>>
>> MartyB
>>

> Funny you mention that.
>
> America's Test Kitchen has a recipe (July-Aug. '09 issue) where you
> start French fries in cold oil, come to temp (a rolling boil)- 350f on
> my machine - then cook once for a total of 20-25 minutes.
>
> The theory is that the cold start gives the fries time to develop on the
> inside and then get a nice crispy exterior.

Seems to me it's faster to just cook one or more batches at 325 F,
then raise the heat and recook everything at 375.

I like two stage cooks cause you can do stage one the day before.
This is especially useful for bound and breaded, i.e. messy, items.
Much less mess and very fast delivery on game day.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort wrote:
> Cleatarrior wrote:
>
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>

>>> I may need to correct myself on my belief that water won't accumulate
>>> from
>>> cooking, if indeed it's done at or below 212F. I never fry anything that
>>> low. At those temps, yes, water won't be forced to the surface of the
>>> food
>>> as steam and escape, it probably just accumulates. But I can't see any
>>> reason for frying at that sort of temperature.
>>>
>>> MartyB
>>>

>> Funny you mention that.
>>
>> America's Test Kitchen has a recipe (July-Aug. '09 issue) where you
>> start French fries in cold oil, come to temp (a rolling boil)- 350f on
>> my machine - then cook once for a total of 20-25 minutes.
>>
>> The theory is that the cold start gives the fries time to develop on
>> the inside and then get a nice crispy exterior.

> Seems to me it's faster to just cook one or more batches at 325 F,
> then raise the heat and recook everything at 375.

You'd be right, it takes maybe 15 minutes that way.

> I like two stage cooks cause you can do stage one the day before.
> This is especially useful for bound and breaded, i.e. messy, items.
> Much less mess and very fast delivery on game day.

Good point.

But can you do that with fries?

Give this method a try and see what happens. Part of it is simply that
Yukon golds are so starchy, but ATK proofs their work and this one is a
fry lover's delight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cleatarrior wrote:

> Mort wrote:
>

>> I like two stage cooks cause you can do stage one the day before.
>> This is especially useful for bound and breaded, i.e. messy, items.
>> Much less mess and very fast delivery on game day.

> Good point.
>
> But can you do that with fries?
>
> Give this method a try and see what happens. Part of it is simply that
> Yukon golds are so starchy, but ATK proofs their work and this one is a
> fry lover's delight.

Yes. It works with everthing. Try it and you'll be sold.

You cannot tell the difference. I was sure I'd be able to
tell but after doing it a few hundred times with all kinds of
different stuff I finally gave in.

Bad them tight in zip bags and don't fridge them for
more than a day.

--
Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Mar-2010, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
>
> > However, they don't list a fryer in their product list anymore. But
> > you can purchase a similar booby trap from a number of other venders.
> > There's nothing wrong with the technology or this particular fryer. It
> > has to be attributed to "operator error" excaberated by an unusual
> > frying scenario triggered by Gerardus and his 'slo fried gizzards'
> > post.

> The more I think about it the more counterintuitive it seems. Deep frying
> does two things, heats the food in a full suround envirnment, and drives
> moisture from the food to create a flavorful coating while prevent oil
> from
> penetrating due to the outward action of the moisture. So frying below
> the
> boiling point would seem to be something other than frying, more kin to
> confit perhaps, poaching in oil.
>
> MartyB in KC

Marty, there was never any intention to cook below the boiling point of
water. That was the "operator error".

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:01:59 -0800, Mort wrote:

> Bad them tight in zip bags and don't fridge them for
> more than a day.

I've never heard you mention wine or beer, come to think of it.
You're such a perfectionist that I can't believe you let that "B"
slide like that.

This puts you in whole new light, you know. Almost human!

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:01:59 -0800, Mort wrote:
>

>>Bad them tight in zip bags and don't fridge them for
>>more than a day.

> I've never heard you mention wine or beer, come to think of it.
> You're such a perfectionist that I can't believe you let that "B"
> slide like that.
>
> This puts you in whole new light, you know. Almost human!
>
> -sw

I was a bit rushed there. Truth be told I was running off
to a job interview.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Mort said:
>
>>Cleatarrior wrote:

>>>Good point.
>>>
>>>But can you do that with fries?
>>>
>>>Give this method a try and see what happens. Part of it is simply
>>>that Yukon golds are so starchy, but ATK proofs their work and this
>>>one is a fry lover's delight.

>>Yes. It works with everthing. Try it and you'll be sold.
>>
>>You cannot tell the difference. I was sure I'd be able to
>>tell but after doing it a few hundred times with all kinds of
>>different stuff I finally gave in.
>>
>>Bad them tight in zip bags and don't fridge them for
>>more than a day.

> So the breaded stuff doesn't just get all soggy in the fridge overnight
> lying there only half cooked? It's definitely counterintuitive. But hey,
> I'll try anything, so the next batch of O-rings or panko/tempura shrimp I'll
> try it on a batch.
>
> MartyB

It gets totally soggy. You reach into the bag to drop
the first piece in the fryer and you think, "I'm
screwed". Then when it comes out of the oil it's as
good as new.

--
Mort
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:01:59 -0800, Mort wrote:
> >

> >>Bad them tight in zip bags and don't fridge them for
> >>more than a day.

> > I've never heard you mention wine or beer, come to think of it.
> > You're such a perfectionist that I can't believe you let that "B"
> > slide like that.
> >
> > This puts you in whole new light, you know. Almost human!
> >
> > -sw

> I was a bit rushed there. Truth be told I was running off
> to a job interview.

Ooh, job hunting? It sucks. I'm in the same boat and hope mine Monday
went well.

Good luck! And I really do mean that...

I've not been unemployed since I was a Freshman in college which was
well over half a lifetime ago. :-(
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

TN: a week of drive-by notes (long/boring) DaleW Wine 2 06-12-2012 11:01 PM
Deep fryer oil [email protected] General Cooking 12 28-10-2009 05:40 PM
t-fal deep fryer linda dumoulin General Cooking 2 13-04-2005 09:27 PM
Deep Fryer Jimbo Cooking Equipment 3 01-12-2004 09:59 AM
Warning: Long newbie post Troy Winemaking 4 24-11-2003 03:49 PM