Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cook Saturday, Serve Sunday Strategy Question

Folks,

SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
Superbowl Party. The original plan was to wake up early and have the
pork ready to come out of the smoker rigth about game time. Well,
life got in the way and we have other stuff going on on Sunday, so the
new plan is to smoke the meat Saturday and reheat and pull it Sunday.

My question is how to accomplish this. Typically, I take the
meat out at 195* internal, double wrap it in foil and then wrap the
bundle ina towel and hold it in the oven (just for the insulation,
the oven if not hot) for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.

Now i 'm talking about 18 hours or so between taking the meat out
of the smoker and pulling it for the party. Do I:

1) Refrigerate it and then reheat to some new internal temperature
for pulling and serving?

2) take it out of the smoker at some lower internal temperature,
refridgerate it and then take it to 195* in the oven on Sunday?

3) I am not really comfortable with leaving it wrapped and insulated
for that long without , but I have seen it suggested.

4) Order a bunch of Subway meatball Marinara subs.

5) ????

Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated.

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RockPyle" > wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> Superbowl Party. The original plan was to wake up early and have the
> pork ready to come out of the smoker rigth about game time. Well,
> life got in the way and we have other stuff going on on Sunday, so the
> new plan is to smoke the meat Saturday and reheat and pull it Sunday.
>
> My question is how to accomplish this. Typically, I take the
> meat out at 195* internal, double wrap it in foil and then wrap the
> bundle ina towel and hold it in the oven (just for the insulation,
> the oven if not hot) for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
>
> Now i 'm talking about 18 hours or so between taking the meat out
> of the smoker and pulling it for the party. Do I:
>
> 1) Refrigerate it and then reheat to some new internal temperature
> for pulling and serving?
>
> 2) take it out of the smoker at some lower internal temperature,
> refridgerate it and then take it to 195* in the oven on Sunday?
>
> 3) I am not really comfortable with leaving it wrapped and insulated
> for that long without , but I have seen it suggested.
>
> 4) Order a bunch of Subway meatball Marinara subs.
>
> 5) ????
>
> Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated.

smoke it and pull it as you normally do. refrigerate. reheat to a safe and
tasty temp.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 5:49*am, RockPyle > wrote:
> Folks,
>
> * * *SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> Superbowl Party. *

Woman has taste.

> new plan is to smoke the meat Saturday and reheat and pull it Sunday.

You can pull it on Sat, eat on Sunday.

> * * *My question is how to accomplish this. *Typically, I take the
> meat out at 195* internal, double wrap it in foil and then wrap the
> bundle ina *towel and hold it in the oven (just for the insulation,
> the oven if not hot) for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.

Not sure why you go to the trouble? I don't believe the extra cooking
that this does is needed by this point. We just we just take the meat
off, let it rest till the temps come down enough to handle without
burning ourselves and pull it fresh and refridgerate what we're not
eating immediately. Which in your case would be all of it.

> 1) *Refrigerate it and then reheat to some new internal temperature
> for pulling and serving?

Save youself a step and pull it on day one.

> 2) *take it out of the smoker at some lower internal temperature,
> refridgerate it and then take it to 195* in the oven on Sunday?

Heck no!

> 3) *I am not really comfortable with leaving it wrapped and insulated
> for that long without , but I have seen it suggested.

Hell no!

> 4) *Order a bunch of Subway meatball Marinara subs.

You want her to divorce you?

> Rock

Invite us, we'll bring good sides. We can even think of a nicer name
for Dragon turds if you insist.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 1/29/2010 8:49 AM, RockPyle wrote:
> Folks,
>
> SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> Superbowl Party. The original plan was to wake up early and have the

SNIP(see how easy it is to snip folks - do it!, especially you bottom
post whiners!)

> Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated.
>
> Rock

I have an orange, round, igloo drink ice chest, that I used, wrap meat
up, lay thick layer of newspaper or towels on bottom then sit meat in
then take up remaining space with towels. IT WILL KEEP FOR 24 hours and
be safe to eat, in fact it should still be hot to handle. But, I would
take off the grill 'as soon as' it reaches 190 or meat will be too
mushy. I have done it many times.

piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I agree with Wallace - we've done it this way many times and it works
perfectly. I even reheat mine in the microwave. No need for fussing
around with the resting period in the cooler or oven. Good Luck, have
a great party. Nan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> > Rock

> Invite us, we'll bring good sides. We can even think of a nicer name
> for Dragon turds if you insist.

Since I will have a free afternoon on Sunday to smoke, and the
original plan had the added benefit of yummy smoky smells for our
guests, I am toying with having the smoker going with sausages, some
version of Dragon or Other Turds, and other sundry quick smoking stuff
going.

We'll see how adventurous I get.

If you're in the SE Michigan area 1) I feel sorry for you, and 2) come
on over!

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 9:26*am, tutall > wrote:
> On Jan 29, 5:49*am, RockPyle > wrote:
>
> > Folks,

> > * * *SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> > Superbowl Party. *

> Woman has taste.

She has been very supportive of my smoking habit, after years of being
very supportive of my homebrew habit. She's definitely a keeper!

> Not sure why you go to the trouble? I don't believe the extra cooking
> that this does is needed by this point. We just we just take the meat
> off, let it rest till the temps come down enough to handle without
> burning ourselves and pull it fresh and refridgerate what we're not
> eating immediately. Which in your case would be all of it.

My thoughts were that storing the meat as a whole shoulder would
result in more juicy Sunday food.

We regularly refrigerate leftovers when we do pulled pork, but I have
never reheated a large amount. Leftovers get reheated a serving at a
time usually.

If I pull and refrigerate as a pan of pulled pork, reheat Sunday to
what temperature? 150*?

Thanks for the help!

Rock.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 11:06*am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
> I agree with Wallace - we've done it this way many times and it works
> perfectly. I even reheat mine in the microwave. No need for fussing
> around with the resting period in the cooler or oven. *Good Luck, have
> a great party. Nan

Thanks. What is a good eating temperature? 150*?

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RockPyle wrote:
> Folks,
>
> SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> Superbowl Party. The original plan was to wake up early and have the
> pork ready to come out of the smoker rigth about game time. Well,
> life got in the way and we have other stuff going on on Sunday, so the
> new plan is to smoke the meat Saturday and reheat and pull it Sunday.
>
> My question is how to accomplish this. Typically, I take the
> meat out at 195* internal, double wrap it in foil and then wrap the
> bundle ina towel and hold it in the oven (just for the insulation,
> the oven if not hot) for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
>
> Now i 'm talking about 18 hours or so between taking the meat out
> of the smoker and pulling it for the party. Do I:
>
> 1) Refrigerate it and then reheat to some new internal temperature
> for pulling and serving?
>
> 2) take it out of the smoker at some lower internal temperature,
> refridgerate it and then take it to 195* in the oven on Sunday?
>
> 3) I am not really comfortable with leaving it wrapped and insulated
> for that long without , but I have seen it suggested.
>
> 4) Order a bunch of Subway meatball Marinara subs.
>
> 5) ????
>
> Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated.

Pull it Saturday and pack it in Ziploc® vacuum bags then seal with the
little pump. Refrigerate.

On Sunday, boil a big pot of water and put the sealed bags into the
boiling water. I have found that this method of reheating pulled pork to
be the best. None of the juiciness is lost in the "soud vide" heating
process.

I guess you could use other kinds of "sous vide" compatible vacuum bags,
too.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 8:30*am, RockPyle > wrote:

> My thoughts were that storing the meat as a whole shoulder would
> result in more juicy Sunday food.

Pork butt and lack of juiciness has never entered the picture, ever,
no matter what we've done to the meat. Don't worry about juiciness,
it'll be moist regardless. Have (over) cooked them to 210F, no
problems, still moist.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 1:02*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> RockPyle wrote:
> > Folks,

> > * * *SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> > Superbowl Party. *The original plan was to wake up early and have the
> > pork ready to come out of the smoker rigth about game time. *Well,
> > life got in the way and we have other stuff going on on Sunday, so the
> > new plan is to smoke the meat Saturday and reheat and pull it Sunday.

> > * * *My question is how to accomplish this. *Typically, I take the
> > meat out at 195* internal, double wrap it in foil and then wrap the
> > bundle ina *towel and hold it in the oven (just for the insulation,
> > the oven if not hot) for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.

> > * * *Now i 'm talking about 18 hours or so between taking the meat out
> > of the smoker and pulling it for the party. *Do I:

> > 1) *Refrigerate it and then reheat to some new internal temperature
> > for pulling and serving?

> > 2) *take it out of the smoker at some lower internal temperature,
> > refridgerate it and then take it to 195* in the oven on Sunday?

> > 3) *I am not really comfortable with leaving it wrapped and insulated
> > for that long without , but I have seen it suggested.

> > 4) *Order a bunch of Subway meatball Marinara subs.

> > 5) *????

> > Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated.

> Pull it Saturday and pack it in Ziploc® vacuum bags then seal with the
> little pump. Refrigerate.
>
> On Sunday, boil a big pot of water and put the sealed bags into the
> boiling water. I have found that this method of reheating pulled pork to
> be the best. None of the juiciness is lost in the "soud vide" heating
> process.
>
> I guess you could use other kinds of "sous vide" compatible vacuum bags,
> too.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.- Hide quoted text -

What a good idea. I don't have the vacuum bags, but if I keep from
submerging the ziploc, I should be able to reheat without the risk of
filling with water.

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RockPyle wrote:
> Folks,
>
> SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> Superbowl Party. The original plan was to wake up early and have the
> pork ready to come out of the smoker rigth about game time. Well,
> life got in the way and we have other stuff going on on Sunday, so the
> new plan is to smoke the meat Saturday and reheat and pull it Sunday.

I did all my pulled pork last weekend. I pulled it all and put it in vacuum
bags and froze them. It'll be a simple matter to warm them up in hot water,
then dump the open bags into a crockpot, or other suitable warming vessel
when the time is right. I *might* do a brisket this weekend, and do the same
thing with it.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29-Jan-2010, piedmont > wrote:

> On 1/29/2010 8:49 AM, RockPyle wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> > Superbowl Party. The original plan was to wake up early and have the

> SNIP(see how easy it is to snip folks - do it!, especially you bottom
> post whiners!)
>
> > Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated.
> >
> > Rock

> I have an orange, round, igloo drink ice chest, that I used, wrap meat
> up, lay thick layer of newspaper or towels on bottom then sit meat in
> then take up remaining space with towels. IT WILL KEEP FOR 24 hours and
> be safe to eat, in fact it should still be hot to handle. But, I would
> take off the grill 'as soon as' it reaches 190 or meat will be too
> mushy. I have done it many times.
>
> piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

What Piedmont said. I have done likewise many times. I'm still around and
none of my guests have died. I have also had occasion to reheat the
following
day in which case I employed foil to wrap the meat and retain juices. That
also worked well. I confess though that the last time I reheated a quantity
like that was in Auguest of 2007. The possibles included butts, spares and
beef back ribs. All were more then passable at the table.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 3:20*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 29-Jan-2010, piedmont > wrote:
>

> > On 1/29/2010 8:49 AM, RockPyle wrote:
> > > Folks,

> > > SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> > > Superbowl Party. *The original plan was to wake up early and have the

> > SNIP(see how easy it is to snip folks - do it!, especially you bottom
> > post whiners!)

> > > Any suggestions or discussion would be appreciated.

> > > Rock

> > I have an orange, round, igloo drink ice chest, that I used, wrap meat
> > up, lay thick layer of newspaper or towels on bottom then sit meat in
> > then take up remaining space with towels. IT WILL KEEP FOR 24 hours and
> > be safe to eat, in fact it should still be hot to handle. But, I would
> > take off the grill 'as soon as' it reaches 190 or meat will be too
> > mushy. I have done it many times.

> > piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

> What Piedmont said. I have done likewise many times. I'm still around and
> none of my guests have died. I have also had occasion to reheat the
> following
> day in which case I employed foil to wrap the meat and retain juices. That
> also worked well. I confess though that the last time I reheated a quantity
> like that was in Auguest of 2007. The possibles included butts, spares and
> beef back ribs. All were more then passable at the table.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

Do you agree that they should be taken out of the cooker at a lower
temp? 190*?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Pull it Saturday and pack it in Ziploc® vacuum bags then seal with the
> little pump. Refrigerate.
>
> On Sunday, boil a big pot of water and put the sealed bags into the
> boiling water. I have found that this method of reheating pulled pork to
> be the best. None of the juiciness is lost in the "soud vide" heating
> process.
>
> I guess you could use other kinds of "sous vide" compatible vacuum bags,
> too.

boiling water is sous vide? I didn't think so. Lower temperatures are used
in sous vide.

for one day between cooking pulling and reheating, the bags seem like a
needless step to me.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wallace wrote:

> boiling water is sous vide? I didn't think so. Lower temperatures are used
> in sous vide.

It says so right on the bags. So shoot me. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29-Jan-2010, RockPyle > wrote:

> On Jan 29, 3:20*pm, "Brick" > wrote:

> > > SNIP(see how easy it is to snip folks - do it!, especially you bottom
> > > post whiners!)

> > > I have an orange, round, igloo drink ice chest, that I used, wrap
> > > meat
> > > up, lay thick layer of newspaper or towels on bottom then sit meat in
> > > then take up remaining space with towels. IT WILL KEEP FOR 24 hours
> > > and
> > > be safe to eat, in fact it should still be hot to handle. But, I
> > > would
> > > take off the grill 'as soon as' it reaches 190 or meat will be too
> > > mushy. I have done it many times.

> > > piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

> > What Piedmont said. I have done likewise many times. I'm still around
> > and
> > none of my guests have died. I have also had occasion to reheat the
> > following
> > day in which case I employed foil to wrap the meat and retain juices.
> > That
> > also worked well. I confess though that the last time I reheated a
> > quantity
> > like that was in Auguest of 2007. The possibles included butts, spares
> > and
> > beef back ribs. All were more then passable at the table.
> >
> > --
> > Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

> Do you agree that they should be taken out of the cooker at a lower
> temp? 190*?

For reheating, the food needs to be only hot enough to eat. 130 to 140 F
should be satisfactory for a palatable offering.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 8:32*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 29-Jan-2010, RockPyle > wrote:

> > > What Piedmont said. I have done likewise many times. I'm still around
> > > and
> > > none of my guests have died. I have also had occasion to reheat the
> > > following
> > > day in which case I employed foil to wrap the meat and retain juices.
> > > That
> > > also worked well. I confess though that the last time I reheated a
> > > quantity
> > > like that was in Auguest of 2007. The possibles included butts, spares
> > > and
> > > beef back ribs. All were more then passable at the table.

> > > --
> > > Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

> > Do you agree that they should be taken out of the cooker at a lower
> > temp? *190*?

> For reheating, the food needs to be only hot enough to eat. 130 to 140 F
> should be satisfactory for a palatable offering.
>
> --
> Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

For the plan where you hold the cooked meat in a cooler for an
extended time, do you take the meat out of the cooker at a lower
temperature to account for the extended hold time?

130-140 is good information for the reheating out of the fridge plan.
Thanks.

Rob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 2:27*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> It says so right on the bags. So shoot me. <g>

You're preaching to the choir there Janet, husbands are used to paying
attention to their bags.

<eg>
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Wallace wrote:
>
>> boiling water is sous vide? I didn't think so. Lower temperatures are
>> used in sous vide.

> It says so right on the bags. So shoot me. <g>

Hey, why would I shoot you? YOUR posts I like

What exactly does it say on the bags? Or the box?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 1/29/2010 3:26 PM, RockPyle wrote:
snip

> Do you agree that they should be taken out of the cooker at a lower
> temp? 190*?

Rock,
I suggested the 190 and remove from cooker scenario as I have twice gone
to 195 and let sit in cooler for 24 hours, the meat could be scooped out
with a spoon literally.

If wrapped like I suggest, it will stay very hot and actually continue
cooking (remember cooking 101: meat is hotter on the outside than on
inside and will continue to cook as the heat transfers to the inside)
and will be still warm/hot not cold/lukewarm when removed from cooler. I
like my brisket not so mushy, is the word more Al Dente, more slice-able.

Traditional brisket is sliced not pulled.

--
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29-Jan-2010, RockPyle > wrote:

> On Jan 29, 8:32*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> > On 29-Jan-2010, RockPyle > wrote:

.. . .

> For the plan where you hold the cooked meat in a cooler for an
> extended time, do you take the meat out of the cooker at a lower
> temperature to account for the extended hold time?

No

> 130-140 is good information for the reheating out of the fridge plan.
> Thanks.

You're welcome.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Jan-2010, piedmont > wrote:

> On 1/29/2010 3:26 PM, RockPyle wrote:
> snip
> >
> > Do you agree that they should be taken out of the cooker at a lower
> > temp? 190*?

> Rock,
> I suggested the 190 and remove from cooker scenario as I have twice gone
> to 195 and let sit in cooler for 24 hours, the meat could be scooped out
> with a spoon literally.
>
> If wrapped like I suggest, it will stay very hot and actually continue
> cooking (remember cooking 101: meat is hotter on the outside than on
> inside and will continue to cook as the heat transfers to the inside)
> and will be still warm/hot not cold/lukewarm when removed from cooler. I
> like my brisket not so mushy, is the word more Al Dente, more slice-able.
>
> Traditional brisket is sliced not pulled.
>
> --
> piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r

Let me just say this about that. For openers, Mike (Piedmont) is absolutely
correct. However, the beginner may have considerable trouble attaining
a feel for how meat acts during the BBQ process. On the one hand, one
must get the meat hot enough and hold it there long enough for the
connective
tissue (Collagen) to convert to gelatin. We know that this happens at or
about
167°F, but not every piece of meat has read the rules and thus may act
somewhat differently. On the other hand, as Mike points out, the whole
chunk of meat will turn to mush if held at or above about 170°F long
enough.

Mike likes his brisket to end up at the sliceable side of done whereas I
like
mine on the shreddable side of done. (To each his own). Neither of us is
going to always get what we want because some cuts of meat refuse to
cooperate along the rules that we have set out for them.

To this end, 190°F is a good number to shoot for, for the sliceable target,

while 195° is more realistic for the shreddable item.

All that said, the meat is actually done at a much lower temperature, but
will remain tough as shoe leather until the last of the collagen has
converted.
A couple of hours basking in a holding cell (read cooler wrapped in foil
and
towels) will do much to allow the continued cooking process to reach the
furthest unconverted portions of the cut and allow complete collagen
conversion throughout the cut of meat.

In practical terms, I find that 185°F has been too low to assure complete
conversion even with adequate holding time., Above 195°F has produced
mushy meat for me a time or two.

There's no free lunch and from time to time you're going to get stung no
matter how closely you adhere to the recommended guidelines. The last
butt that I cooked just a few days ago was above 195° in the many several
places that I checked its temperature and thus I rejected holding it over
and just let it rest on the countertop. Voila! I ended up with a pound or
two of meat that was incompletely converted and thus a little tough. I did
not expect that, given that I had checked the temp from end to end and
side to side, but I got it anyway. The bottom line is that temperature
alone
does not equate to total collagen conversion. Temperature plus time is
needed to get the job done. In the seven years I have been cooking BBQ
I have yet to get incomplete collagen conversion in a piece of meat that
I held in a cooler for several hours regardless of the temperature observed
when I took it out of the pit. Let your internal Genie be your guide.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 30, 11:25*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> [...]

> butt that I cooked just a few days ago was above 195° in the many several
> places that I checked its temperature and thus I rejected holding it over
> and just let it rest on the countertop. Voila! I ended up with a pound or
> two of meat that was incompletely converted and thus a little tough. I did
> not expect that, given that I had checked the temp from end to end and
> side to side, but I got it anyway. The bottom line is that temperature
> alone
> does not equate to total collagen conversion. Temperature plus time is
> needed to get the job done. In the seven years I have been cooking BBQ
> I have yet to get incomplete collagen conversion in a piece of meat that
> I held in a cooler for several hours regardless of the temperature observed
> when I took it out of the pit. Let your internal Genie be your guide.

Thanks. Good explanation. We decided to pull on Saturday night and
reheat Sunday.

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wallace wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Wallace wrote:
>>
>>> boiling water is sous vide? I didn't think so. Lower temperatures are
>>> used in sous vide.

>> It says so right on the bags. So shoot me. <g>

> Hey, why would I shoot you? YOUR posts I like
>

> What exactly does it say on the bags? Or the box?

On the front of the actual bag it says: "Vacuum sous vide"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 9:12*pm, tutall > wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2:27*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > It says so right on the bags. So shoot me. <g>

> You're preaching to the choir there Janet, husbands are used to paying
> attention to their bags.
>
> <eg>

Damnit.... give a guy a warning before you do that!!

I am now cleaning coffee off the keyboard laughing my butt off....

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder said:
>> On the front of the actual bag it says: "Vacuum sous vide"

> Sous vide, besides being a sophisticated, low (well under boiling) temp
> method of cooking in a circulating hot water bath with precise temperature
> controls, also means, literally, "under vacuum" in French. Maybe it's just
> bilingual label, but boiling a vac bag in a pot is definitely not
> sous-vide
> method. It works very well though, for gently reheating frozen or
> refrigerated barbecue, as long as the bag doesn't leak.
>
> MartyB in KC

I concur.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Jan-2010, "Nunya Bidnits" >
wrote:

> Brick said:
> > On 30-Jan-2010, piedmont > wrote:

.. . .

> So if you guys had a pit with electronic temperature controls, would you
> perhaps cook to 190F, wrap, and then set the cooker to 190 for a few
> hours?
> Or perhaps do the above, but not wrap?

With the accuracy of temperature that you enjoy, I would expect that you
are cooking at or very near 220°F which is just 30 deg above your target
temperature of 190°F. Given your situation, I would wrap and hold for
no more then an hour. The reason being, that your 'center' temperature
is likely to be pretty close to your surface temperature. The longer it
takes
to cook a piece of meat to a given temperature, the more even will be the
temperature throughout that piece of meat.

> We're using that kind of cooker, and when it's pulled it goes into a
> Cambrio
> for a few hours wrapped, but it really has a tendency to get mushy and
> overcook both pork butt and brisket.

I'd say you're letting it set too long.

> Do you guys ever cook the picnic end of the shoulder? To what temp...
> looking for pull, or slice?

I cook picnics nearly as often as I cook butts. I cook them the same way.
My methodology is a little different then most. I slice initially for
packaging
purposes. At mealtime, I can serve it sliced providing I slice carefully.
Or,
I can shred and use it for sandwiches and such. It's what I do. You can
have my idea to use as you see fit.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Janet Wilder said:
>> On the front of the actual bag it says: "Vacuum sous vide"

> Sous vide, besides being a sophisticated, low (well under boiling) temp
> method of cooking in a circulating hot water bath with precise temperature
> controls, also means, literally, "under vacuum" in French. Maybe it's just a
> bilingual label, but boiling a vac bag in a pot is definitely not sous-vide
> method. It works very well though, for gently reheating frozen or
> refrigerated barbecue, as long as the bag doesn't leak.
>
> MartyB in KC

Thank you for the lesson, Marty. All I know is that the bags do not leak
and are wonderful for heating pulled pork or sliced brisket that has
been vacuum sealed in the Ziploc® bags. It even works when the stuff is
frozen.

I find this method preferable to any other for keeping the integrity of
flavor and consistency of the meat. Then again, I'm a relative newbie
compared to all you Q-gurus or should I call you my Q-rus?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 29, 8:49*am, RockPyle > wrote:
> Folks,
>
> * * *SWMBO has informed me that I will be cooking Pulled Pork for our
> Superbowl Party. *The original plan was to wake up early and have the
> pork ready to come out of the smoker rigth about game time. *Well,
> life got in the way and we have other stuff going on on Sunday, so the
> new plan is to smoke the meat Saturday and reheat and pull it Sunday.
>
> * * *My question is how to accomplish this. *Typically, I take the
> meat out at 195* internal, double wrap it in foil and then wrap the
> bundle ina *towel and hold it in the oven (just for the insulation,
> the oven if not hot) for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
>

> Rock

Meat's in the smoker! Three 6.5-7 lb bone in shoulders. Good rub
last night, kid's basketball game theis morning, got home fired up the
chimney and life is good.

Will make a batch of sauce this afternoon, and think about trying some
ABTs to have cooking tomorrow when folks arrive. I've never tried
them , so I may not get that adventurous.

Thanks for all of your help!

Rock