Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by on a Saturday night and Sunday morning

We spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning with our
daughter and her family over in Texas. We had our Thanksgiving on
Saturday as that was the only day all of her grown children could get
free from work.

We had a wonderful dinner about noonish with turkey and all the fixings
including one of Miz Anne's beautiful lemon meringue pies, made
completely from scratch. Another pie was a Texas Top (cream cheese
topping from recipe our daughter did in 4H back in the late sixties
early seventies)mince pie. Made with pear mince meat I put up this fall
from with pears from our pear tree.

After dinner we all loaded up several cars and trucks (there were
thirteen of us all told) and drove over to the photography studio where
our eldest granddaughter works. Two hours later multiple images were
stored on the computer, downloaded to a CD and our lovely granddaughter
is going to do up all the prints for everyone. A full crowd of
grandparents (Miz Anne and I), parents and step-parents, children and
step-children, significant others and even a husband, wife and two kids
(our eldest grandson and his family). It was then back to daughter's
house to eat pie and visit before kids and all had to leave to prepare
for work on Monday, all with containers of dinner.

In meantime, daughter and I were holding a seminar on how to cook a
turkey carcass and then put up the resulting broth. We simmered the
turkey, plus neck for about two hours, then let it cool, then into the
fridge to solidify the fat. Fat was scraped off Sunday morning after
Mass and then we put up four half-gallon containers of a lovely turkey
broth with meat bits. A goodly supply of soup stock for daughter's family.

While there I repaired the back French doors, the toilet seat in the
hall bathroom, taught step-grandson how to do it all and how to caulk a
bathtub too. SIL is handicapped and muchly overweight so he can't do
much. All in all we had a wonderful time and then I got to drive home
for over three hours in drizzling rain. Luckily traffic wasn't heavy so
we made it okay. Miz Anne suggested I get a sign for the rear of the car
reading: "CAUTION - BLIND MAN DRIVING" as my vision is still a little
clouded from the cataract surgery. Of course I scoffed at her as I
nearly rear ended a large truck. Just kidding, we made it okay.

Tilly Dawg was glad to be home, she didn't take well to a house full of
large and small people and a dog and a cat who didn't want to play. She
slept all the way home, napped until bedtime and then slept the whole
night through. She's taking a practice nap at the moment under my desk
where the UPS keeps the floor warm. Ah, for the life of a professional
lap dog.

George, who didn't drop anything the whole weekend
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:34:46 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>We spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning with our
>daughter and her family over in Texas. We had our Thanksgiving on
>Saturday as that was the only day all of her grown children could get
>free from work.
>
>We had a wonderful dinner about noonish with turkey and all the fixings
>including one of Miz Anne's beautiful lemon meringue pies, made
>completely from scratch. Another pie was a Texas Top (cream cheese
>topping from recipe our daughter did in 4H back in the late sixties
>early seventies)mince pie. Made with pear mince meat I put up this fall
>from with pears from our pear tree.
>
>After dinner we all loaded up several cars and trucks (there were
>thirteen of us all told) and drove over to the photography studio where
>our eldest granddaughter works. Two hours later multiple images were
>stored on the computer, downloaded to a CD and our lovely granddaughter
>is going to do up all the prints for everyone. A full crowd of
>grandparents (Miz Anne and I), parents and step-parents, children and
>step-children, significant others and even a husband, wife and two kids
>(our eldest grandson and his family). It was then back to daughter's
>house to eat pie and visit before kids and all had to leave to prepare
>for work on Monday, all with containers of dinner.
>
>In meantime, daughter and I were holding a seminar on how to cook a
>turkey carcass and then put up the resulting broth. We simmered the
>turkey, plus neck for about two hours, then let it cool, then into the
>fridge to solidify the fat. Fat was scraped off Sunday morning after
>Mass and then we put up four half-gallon containers of a lovely turkey
>broth with meat bits. A goodly supply of soup stock for daughter's family.
>
>While there I repaired the back French doors, the toilet seat in the
>hall bathroom, taught step-grandson how to do it all and how to caulk a
>bathtub too. SIL is handicapped and muchly overweight so he can't do
>much. All in all we had a wonderful time and then I got to drive home
>for over three hours in drizzling rain. Luckily traffic wasn't heavy so
>we made it okay. Miz Anne suggested I get a sign for the rear of the car
>reading: "CAUTION - BLIND MAN DRIVING" as my vision is still a little
>clouded from the cataract surgery. Of course I scoffed at her as I
>nearly rear ended a large truck. Just kidding, we made it okay.
>
>Tilly Dawg was glad to be home, she didn't take well to a house full of
>large and small people and a dog and a cat who didn't want to play. She
>slept all the way home, napped until bedtime and then slept the whole
>night through. She's taking a practice nap at the moment under my desk
>where the UPS keeps the floor warm. Ah, for the life of a professional
>lap dog.
>
>George, who didn't drop anything the whole weekend

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Ours was much quieter. Our two sons
came on Wednesday. DIL needed to go to Florida with her parents.
Thanksgiving was pretty sedate since the only change in the food was
the poultry seasoning I made. After dinner in the afternoon everyone
just lazed around.

Friday morning the boys and DH went to Wally World looking for
electronics. Guess they found what they wanted. Later we went to
Mrs. Hanes' Cookie Factory to watch the making of Moravian cookies and
buy some. Then another quiet afternoon.

Both the sons went home with canned goods, bread, fruitcake and
cookies. They returned a total of 4 dozen canning jars. One dozen
were some wide mouth quarts. The lids were in a zip lock but have a
date of 1994. The rings are fine. I may try using the lids when
vacuuming dried stuff.

Sunday I crawled back into bed after breakfast and spent the day
reading. Tomorrow I tackle the persimmons. Son brought a cooler
full.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> [...]

> Thanksgiving was pretty sedate since the only change in the food was
> the poultry seasoning I made. After dinner in the afternoon everyone
> just lazed around.
>
> Friday morning the boys and DH went to Wally World looking for
> electronics. Guess they found what they wanted. Later we went to
> Mrs. Hanes' Cookie Factory to watch the making of Moravian cookies and
> buy some. Then another quiet afternoon.
>
> Both the sons went home with canned goods, bread, fruitcake and
> cookies. They returned a total of 4 dozen canning jars. One dozen
> were some wide mouth quarts. The lids were in a zip lock but have a
> date of 1994. The rings are fine. I may try using the lids when
> vacuuming dried stuff.
>
> Sunday I crawled back into bed after breakfast and spent the day
> reading. Tomorrow I tackle the persimmons. Son brought a cooler

What kind of simmons did you get? The Japanese are easy as anything to
pulp out if they're completely ripe.

I forgot to mention I got a case of pint jars and rings back at
daughters. Her DH loves our marmalade jelly and the plum sauce I made
with Aji chiles. Damned fool eats the plum sauce on ice cream. I only
eat it on pork or poultry.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:55:28 -0600, George Shirley
> [...]

>> just lazed around.
>>
>> Friday morning the boys and DH went to Wally World looking for
>> electronics. Guess they found what they wanted. Later we went to
>> Mrs. Hanes' Cookie Factory to watch the making of Moravian cookies and
>> buy some. Then another quiet afternoon.
>>
>> Both the sons went home with canned goods, bread, fruitcake and
>> cookies. They returned a total of 4 dozen canning jars. One dozen
>> were some wide mouth quarts. The lids were in a zip lock but have a
>> date of 1994. The rings are fine. I may try using the lids when
>> vacuuming dried stuff.
>>
>> Sunday I crawled back into bed after breakfast and spent the day
>> reading. Tomorrow I tackle the persimmons. Son brought a cooler
>> full.

>What kind of simmons did you get? The Japanese are easy as anything to

These are the Japanese type. It is just a matter of getting around to
it. I may try to dry some more of them this year. I will keep some
of the dried and give the rest to a friend who is diabetic. I think
the dried ones are probably better for him that pie, cake or jam.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> We spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning with our
> daughter and her family over in Texas. We had our Thanksgiving on Saturday
> as that was the only day all of her grown children could get free from
> work.
>
> We had a wonderful dinner about noonish with turkey and all the fixings
> including one of Miz Anne's beautiful lemon meringue pies, made completely
> from scratch. Another pie was a Texas Top (cream cheese topping from
> recipe our daughter did in 4H back in the late sixties early
> seventies)mince pie. Made with pear mince meat I put up this fall from
> with pears from our pear tree.
>
> After dinner we all loaded up several cars and trucks (there were thirteen
> of us all told) and drove over to the photography studio where our eldest
> granddaughter works. Two hours later multiple images were stored on the
> computer, downloaded to a CD and our lovely granddaughter is going to do
> up all the prints for everyone. A full crowd of grandparents (Miz Anne and
> I), parents and step-parents, children and step-children, significant
> others and even a husband, wife and two kids (our eldest grandson and his
> family). It was then back to daughter's house to eat pie and visit before
> kids and all had to leave to prepare for work on Monday, all with
> containers of dinner.
>
> In meantime, daughter and I were holding a seminar on how to cook a turkey
> carcass and then put up the resulting broth. We simmered the turkey, plus
> neck for about two hours, then let it cool, then into the fridge to
> solidify the fat. Fat was scraped off Sunday morning after Mass and then
> we put up four half-gallon containers of a lovely turkey broth with meat
> bits. A goodly supply of soup stock for daughter's family.
>
> While there I repaired the back French doors, the toilet seat in the hall
> bathroom, taught step-grandson how to do it all and how to caulk a bathtub
> too. SIL is handicapped and muchly overweight so he can't do much. All in
> all we had a wonderful time and then I got to drive home for over three
> hours in drizzling rain. Luckily traffic wasn't heavy so we made it okay.
> Miz Anne suggested I get a sign for the rear of the car reading:
> "CAUTION - BLIND MAN DRIVING" as my vision is still a little clouded from
> the cataract surgery. Of course I scoffed at her as I nearly rear ended a
> large truck. Just kidding, we made it okay.
>
> Tilly Dawg was glad to be home, she didn't take well to a house full of
> large and small people and a dog and a cat who didn't want to play. She
> slept all the way home, napped until bedtime and then slept the whole
> night through. She's taking a practice nap at the moment under my desk
> where the UPS keeps the floor warm. Ah, for the life of a professional lap
> dog.
>
> George, who didn't drop anything the whole weekend

sounds like a wonderful weekend George!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> We spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning with our
> daughter and her family over in Texas. We had our Thanksgiving on Saturday
> as that was the only day all of her grown children could get free from
> work.

snippity snip snip a wonderful story.

> George, who didn't drop anything the whole weekend

Being from 'down south' you will appreciate this.......we once bought and
afixed to my father's car (without his knowing of course) a bumper sticker
that read: "Pass with care.......Driver Chews Tobacco".....

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> We spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning with our
>> daughter and her family over in Texas. We had our Thanksgiving on Saturday
>> as that was the only day all of her grown children could get free from
>> work.
>>

> snippity snip snip a wonderful story.
>> George, who didn't drop anything the whole weekend

> Being from 'down south' you will appreciate this.......we once bought and
> afixed to my father's car (without his knowing of course) a bumper sticker
> that read: "Pass with care.......Driver Chews Tobacco".....

I saw a neat bumper sticker on the back of a giant pickup truck when we
lived in Corpus Christi, TX. That would be about 1979 - 1980. It read:
"Please don't tell my mother I work in the oil field. She thinks I'm a
piano player in a whorehouse."

Another pickup truck bumper sticker, this time in Slendora, TX. "Don't
breed them if you can't feed them."

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

> I saw a neat bumper sticker on the back of a giant pickup truck when we
> lived in Corpus Christi, TX. That would be about 1979 - 1980. It read:
> "Please don't tell my mother I work in the oil field. She thinks I'm a
> piano player in a whorehouse."
>
> Another pickup truck bumper sticker, this time in Slendora, TX. "Don't
> breed them if you can't feed them."

A bumpersticker I saw once and would really like to have:

"Everything was going just fine until that house fell on my sister."

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> I saw a neat bumper sticker on the back of a giant pickup truck when we
>> lived in Corpus Christi, TX. That would be about 1979 - 1980. It read:
>> "Please don't tell my mother I work in the oil field. She thinks I'm a
>> piano player in a whorehouse."
>>
>> Another pickup truck bumper sticker, this time in Slendora, TX. "Don't
>> breed them if you can't feed them."
>>

> A bumpersticker I saw once and would really like to have:
>
> "Everything was going just fine until that house fell on my sister."
>
> Anny

Once upon a time I ran up on a web site that sold the makings for
personalized bumper stickers. You put it through your printer and then
wet the glue and stuck it to your bumper. I'm going to have to look that
site up again. I'm looking at pick up trucks to replace my old sedan and
it will certainly need a few bumper stickers. Possibly one about HOSSPOJ.

George