Duwop

Default OT, chile question

I'm a fan of anaheim chiles, love the flavor. They're one of my "secret"
ingredients for my chile con carne. (funny how so many chile recipes use no
chiles) I'd been wondering about poblanos and saw Flay recommend them as
having a better flavor than anaheim. Any others chiles like these two or
comments?

TIA

Dale

GmagicB

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> I'm a fan of anaheim chiles, love the flavor. They're one of my "secret"
> ingredients for my chile con carne. (funny how so many chile recipes use

no
> chiles) I'd been wondering about poblanos and saw Flay recommend them as
> having a better flavor than anaheim. Any others chiles like these two or
> comments?

I've used both anaheims and poblans for rellenos over the years. The nice
thing about the poblanos is that they're larger, so they're slightly less
labor intensive for rellenos.The anaheim flavor is clearer and more in your
face, imo; poblanos have a deeper, richer flavor.

That said, I love the flavor of anaheim rellenos. When I lived in Denver I
found a lot more resturants that used them than I do down here in South
Texas. Most of the time here, it's poblanos. Seems to be maybe somewhat of a
regional preference. Maybe based on availability? Not sure.

All the best,
George

GmagicB

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> I'm a fan of anaheim chiles, love the flavor. They're one of my "secret"
> ingredients for my chile con carne. (funny how so many chile recipes use

no
> chiles) I'd been wondering about poblanos and saw Flay recommend them as
> having a better flavor than anaheim. Any others chiles like these two or
> comments?

I've used both anaheims and poblans for rellenos over the years. The nice
thing about the poblanos is that they're larger, so they're slightly less
labor intensive for rellenos.The anaheim flavor is clearer and more in your
face, imo; poblanos have a deeper, richer flavor.

That said, I love the flavor of anaheim rellenos. When I lived in Denver I
found a lot more resturants that used them than I do down here in South
Texas. Most of the time here, it's poblanos. Seems to be maybe somewhat of a
regional preference. Maybe based on availability? Not sure.

All the best,
George

GmagicB

"Bubbabob" > wrote in message
. 3.30...

> Here in NM, we use the 'Big Jim' variety for rellenos. They're quite
> large and thick walled. Good flavor but not particularly hot (for a New
> Mexican, anyway). For red chile, the best we have is Chimayo, which is an
> heirloom pepper from northern NM. Hatch is a good green chile but
> indifferent once it ripens. 'Sandia A' is a local hybrid favorite, red or
> green, but probably too hot for anyone outside of the state.
>
> Anaheims descend from NM peppers but had the flavor and heat bred out of
> them for the California market back in 1920 or so. I would never use them
> for anything.

I'll disagree on the anaheim thing, but shout out a big Amen! on the subject
of Chimayo chiles. They are try a top shelf pick for red.

George

GmagicB

"Bubbabob" > wrote in message
. 3.30...

> Here in NM, we use the 'Big Jim' variety for rellenos. They're quite
> large and thick walled. Good flavor but not particularly hot (for a New
> Mexican, anyway). For red chile, the best we have is Chimayo, which is an
> heirloom pepper from northern NM. Hatch is a good green chile but
> indifferent once it ripens. 'Sandia A' is a local hybrid favorite, red or
> green, but probably too hot for anyone outside of the state.
>
> Anaheims descend from NM peppers but had the flavor and heat bred out of
> them for the California market back in 1920 or so. I would never use them
> for anything.

I'll disagree on the anaheim thing, but shout out a big Amen! on the subject
of Chimayo chiles. They are try a top shelf pick for red.

George

Duwop

GmagicB wrote:
> "Bubbabob" > wrote in message
>
> I'll disagree on the anaheim thing, but shout out a big Amen! on the
> subject of Chimayo chiles. They are try a top shelf pick for red.

How hot are Chimayo? Say an Anaheim is a "1" and a Jalapeno is a "5" where
would it rank?

Duwop

GmagicB wrote:
> "Bubbabob" > wrote in message
>
> I'll disagree on the anaheim thing, but shout out a big Amen! on the
> subject of Chimayo chiles. They are try a top shelf pick for red.

How hot are Chimayo? Say an Anaheim is a "1" and a Jalapeno is a "5" where
would it rank?

Default User

Bubbabob wrote:

> Here in NM, we use the 'Big Jim' variety for rellenos. They're quite
> large and thick walled. Good flavor but not particularly hot (for a
> New Mexican, anyway).

I just ordered a bunch of Hatch green chiles (on their way). I got five
pounds each of the varieties they had: Mild - New Mexico 64, Medium -
Big Jims, Hot - Sandia Hot, and XHot Lumbre.

They are scheduled to arrive Saturday, so I'll be firing up the Weber
kettle to do some roasting.

Brian

Bubbabob wrote:

> Here in NM, we use the 'Big Jim' variety for rellenos. They're quite
> large and thick walled. Good flavor but not particularly hot (for a
> New Mexican, anyway).

I just ordered a bunch of Hatch green chiles (on their way). I got five
pounds each of the varieties they had: Mild - New Mexico 64, Medium -
Big Jims, Hot - Sandia Hot, and XHot Lumbre.

They are scheduled to arrive Saturday, so I'll be firing up the Weber
kettle to do some roasting.

Brian
Nathan Lau

Duwop wrote:

> GmagicB wrote:
>
>>"Bubbabob" > wrote in message
>>
>>I'll disagree on the anaheim thing, but shout out a big Amen! on the
>>subject of Chimayo chiles. They are try a top shelf pick for red.

> How hot are Chimayo? Say an Anaheim is a "1" and a Jalapeno is a "5" where
> would it rank?

One site ( http://www.tough-love.com/seed_descriptions.html ) says:

The CHIMAYO is a New Mexico Chile named after the town of Chimayo. We
have been growing it for 5 years under some of the most unfavorable
growing conditions imaginable and it is one of our best perfomers. It is
hotter than the Anaheim or NuMex varieties and in our recently completed
tests was hotter than a Jalapeno (27500 SU to 18250). It grows about 5-8
inches long and it can be picked green for stews or salsas. It can be
dried and ground for red chile powder. It is also widely used for
ristras, and is hard to find and expensive according to our New Mexico
sources.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Nathan Lau

Duwop wrote:

> GmagicB wrote:
>
>>"Bubbabob" > wrote in message
>>
>>I'll disagree on the anaheim thing, but shout out a big Amen! on the
>>subject of Chimayo chiles. They are try a top shelf pick for red.

> How hot are Chimayo? Say an Anaheim is a "1" and a Jalapeno is a "5" where
> would it rank?

One site ( http://www.tough-love.com/seed_descriptions.html ) says:

The CHIMAYO is a New Mexico Chile named after the town of Chimayo. We
have been growing it for 5 years under some of the most unfavorable
growing conditions imaginable and it is one of our best perfomers. It is
hotter than the Anaheim or NuMex varieties and in our recently completed
tests was hotter than a Jalapeno (27500 SU to 18250). It grows about 5-8
inches long and it can be picked green for stews or salsas. It can be
dried and ground for red chile powder. It is also widely used for
ristras, and is hard to find and expensive according to our New Mexico
sources.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
M&M

Duwop wrote:
> I'm a fan of anaheim chiles, love the flavor. They're one of my "secret"
> ingredients for my chile con carne. (funny how so many chile recipes use no
> chiles) I'd been wondering about poblanos and saw Flay recommend them as
> having a better flavor than anaheim. Any others chiles like these two or
> comments?
>

> TIA
>
> Dale

IMHO Dale, you can't have too many chiles. Anaheim, New Mexican,
California, Poblano, Serrano, Thai (Several varieties) and of
course the lowly Jalapeno. Check out (http://www.sweetfreedomfarm.com)
for dried chile products as well as (http://www.nmchili.com/). The
latter site promotes Hatch, NM chiles. NM chiles are the hands down
best. Enjoy

M&M(Over the hill and picking up speed)

M&M wrote:

> Duwop wrote:
> > I'm a fan of anaheim chiles, love the flavor. They're one of my
> > "secret" ingredients for my chile con carne. (funny how so many
> > chile recipes use no chiles) I'd been wondering about poblanos and
> > saw Flay recommend them as having a better flavor than anaheim. Any
> > others chiles like these two or comments?

> IMHO Dale, you can't have too many chiles.

I don't know about that. It turns out 20lbs of fresh chiles is a LOT of
chiles

Brian

Bubbabob wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote:

> > I just ordered a bunch of Hatch green chiles (on their way). I got
> > five pounds each of the varieties they had: Mild - New Mexico 64,
> > Medium - Big Jims, Hot - Sandia Hot, and XHot Lumbre.
> >

> I'm not familiar with that last one. A new hybrid?

No idea, just a quote from their web page.

Brian