Peter Newman

Default "Shoulder Picnic Pork Roast"

My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6 lbs
for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ talks
about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested cooking
on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says that it
ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled pork.
Thanks all!

Peter

BOB

Peter Newman wrote:
> My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6 lbs
> for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ talks
> about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested cooking
> on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says that it
> ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled pork.
> Thanks all!
>
> Peter

You'll have to tell us how lean it is. That small would be OK (I guess), but
unless it's got some fat marbled throughout, most likely won't get good pulled
pork from it.
If it's too lean, I'd cook it about like the directions say, but I might look at
it closely at the 140 to 150 range, and slice it thin, across the grain.

BOB
be sure to report back with your results

BOB

Peter Newman wrote:
> My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6 lbs
> for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ talks
> about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested cooking
> on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says that it
> ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled pork.
> Thanks all!
>
> Peter

You'll have to tell us how lean it is. That small would be OK (I guess), but
unless it's got some fat marbled throughout, most likely won't get good pulled
pork from it.
If it's too lean, I'd cook it about like the directions say, but I might look at
it closely at the 140 to 150 range, and slice it thin, across the grain.

BOB
be sure to report back with your results

Jeff Russell

I don't think that is a good price at all. Should be 99 cents - $1.29 a lb.
If it's lean, make sure it starts at room temp and don't go past medium.

"Peter Newman" > wrote in message
> My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6

lbs
> for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ talks
> about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested

cooking
> on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says that

it
> ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled

pork.
> Thanks all!
>
> Peter

Duwop

Jeff Russell wrote:
> I don't think that is a good price at all. Should be 99 cents - $1.29
> a lb.

That was my 1st reaction; selling scraps for $$$. Probably think they can
get away with it because it's lean.

Reg

Peter Newman wrote:

> My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6 lbs
> for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ talks
> about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested cooking
> on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says that it
> ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled pork.
> Thanks all!

I cook small picnics like that all the time. You paid a bit much, but
other than that you're fine.

Smoke it at 250 F to 190 F internal and don't get hung up on minutes
per pound.

Reg

Peter Newman wrote:

> My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6 lbs
> for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ talks
> about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested cooking
> on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says that it
> ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled pork.
> Thanks all!

I cook small picnics like that all the time. You paid a bit much, but
other than that you're fine.

Smoke it at 250 F to 190 F internal and don't get hung up on minutes
per pound.

Peter Newman

I hate it when I find out I paid too much! I'll give it a shot and give you
all a report. Thanks everyone!

Peter
"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..
> Peter Newman wrote:
>
> > My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6

lbs
> > for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ

talks
> > about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> > just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested

cooking
> > on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says

that it
> > ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> > Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled

pork.
> > Thanks all!

> I cook small picnics like that all the time. You paid a bit much, but
> other than that you're fine.
>
> Smoke it at 250 F to 190 F internal and don't get hung up on minutes
> per pound.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Peter Newman

I hate it when I find out I paid too much! I'll give it a shot and give you
all a report. Thanks everyone!

Peter
"Reg" > wrote in message
. ..
> Peter Newman wrote:
>
> > My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6

lbs
> > for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ

talks
> > about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> > just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested

cooking
> > on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says

that it
> > ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> > Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled

pork.
> > Thanks all!

> I cook small picnics like that all the time. You paid a bit much, but
> other than that you're fine.
>
> Smoke it at 250 F to 190 F internal and don't get hung up on minutes
> per pound.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Default User

Duwop wrote:

> Jeff Russell wrote:
> > I don't think that is a good price at all. Should be 99 cents - $1.29
> > a lb.

> That was my 1st reaction; selling scraps for $$$. Probably think they can
> get away with it because it's lean.

I doubt it's scraps. Sounds like a boned and rolled picnic.

Brian Rodenborn

Duwop wrote:

> Jeff Russell wrote:
> > I don't think that is a good price at all. Should be 99 cents - $1.29
> > a lb.

> That was my 1st reaction; selling scraps for $$$. Probably think they can
> get away with it because it's lean.

I doubt it's scraps. Sounds like a boned and rolled picnic.

Brian Rodenborn
M&M

On 14-Jul-2004, "Peter Newman" > wrote:

> My local market had a shoulder picnic pork roast, boneless and about 1.6 lbs
> for 2.49/lb. What the heck? So now what do I do with it. The FAQ talks
> about shoulders and picnics in the 6-8 lbs range. This is a little guy,
> just right for two people. And it's labeled as a roast. Suggested cooking
> on the package is 325 until internal temp reaches 160. It also says that it
> ought to cook at about 30 minutes/lbs. But I want to smoke this sucker.
> Any suggestions? Is it too small and lean to result in a good pulled pork.
> Thanks all!
>
> Peter

I'm not sure that I'd try to get that guy to pulling temp. I think I'd put a probe
in it being careful to get the tip in the thickest part of the center. You know
hold the probe up beside it and set your finger or thumb on it at a point that
will stop penetration and the right depth. Then I think you could cook it any-
where from 250° to 325° to an internal of 160° or so and expect some very
nice slicing pork.Shouldn't take very long either. Uh, don't mess with it
until it reaches temp. If you have to use a little pocket instant read therm
it's going to get more complicated. I'd check it the first time and one hour
and expect maybe 110° in the center. Set your mental clock accordingly
from how far off it is from that. Peeking ain't cooking and peeking too much
especially on a little guy like that will ruin your crust.

--
M&M said that.
M&M