Douglas Barber

Default Jalapenos

Jalapenos

Cut the stems off.

Then, when you can see how the inner membranes run, slit it right down
one of those membranes.

Then run your knife - steak or paring knife - around the inside of that
thing to liberate the inner membranes.

The get ye to a sink, and use a teaspoon to get the rest of the
membranes and ssed out of these pepper.

Next, chop equal ammounts of the most indigestible burnt ends of your
last brisket, chopped, and onion (not sweet onion, not from vidalia
county, we want the geniune article for this purpose). Now take some
cream cheese heated to about 90 degrees (that would be roonm temp, this
time a year)....mix it with that chopped brisket and onion with your
fingers till it feels right for putting into those cleaned-out
jalanpenos you made....

Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
jalapenos, don't blame me!

Douglas Barber

forgot to mention....when you turn on the oven in the 90 degree
house....point the fans to blow *out* and set 'em on high.

t gilb

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> forgot to mention....when you turn on the oven in the 90 degree
> house....point the fans to blow *out* and set 'em on high.

You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when cutting up the
peppers.

BOB

Douglas Barber wrote:
> Jalapenos
>
> Cut the stems off.
>
> Then, when you can see how the inner membranes run, slit it right down
> one of those membranes.
>
> Then run your knife - steak or paring knife - around the inside of that
> thing to liberate the inner membranes.
>
> The get ye to a sink, and use a teaspoon to get the rest of the
> membranes and ssed out of these pepper.
>
> Next, chop equal ammounts of the most indigestible burnt ends of your
> last brisket, chopped, and onion (not sweet onion, not from vidalia
> county, we want the geniune article for this purpose). Now take some
> cream cheese heated to about 90 degrees (that would be roonm temp, this
> time a year)....mix it with that chopped brisket and onion with your
> fingers till it feels right for putting into those cleaned-out
> jalanpenos you made....
>
> Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
> long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
> jalapenos, don't blame me!

Oven? Where's your grill/smoker?
Ya also fergot to wrap 'em in bacon.

BOB

barchetta

Jalapenos.

Rinse entire pepper. Pat dry. Throw in smoker for as long as it
takes to cook your meat. Dehydrate the rest of the way to get all
moisture out. Grind. Chipotle powder.

Email me at barshetta at houston dot rr dot com for a sample.

peace,
stephen s.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:17:06 GMT, Douglas Barber
> wrote:

>Jalapenos
>
>Cut the stems off.
>
>Then, when you can see how the inner membranes run, slit it right down
>one of those membranes.
>
>Then run your knife - steak or paring knife - around the inside of that
>thing to liberate the inner membranes.
>
>The get ye to a sink, and use a teaspoon to get the rest of the
>membranes and ssed out of these pepper.
>
>Next, chop equal ammounts of the most indigestible burnt ends of your
>last brisket, chopped, and onion (not sweet onion, not from vidalia
>county, we want the geniune article for this purpose). Now take some
>cream cheese heated to about 90 degrees (that would be roonm temp, this
>time a year)....mix it with that chopped brisket and onion with your
>fingers till it feels right for putting into those cleaned-out
>jalanpenos you made....
>
>Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
>long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
>jalapenos, don't blame me!

Dirty Harry

"barchetta" > wrote in message
> Jalapenos.
>
> Rinse entire pepper. Pat dry. Throw in smoker for as long as it
> takes to cook your meat. Dehydrate the rest of the way to get all
> moisture out. Grind. Chipotle powder.
>
> Email me at barshetta at houston dot rr dot com for a sample.
>
> peace,
> stephen s.
>
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:17:06 GMT, Douglas Barber
> > wrote:
>
> >Jalapenos
> >
> >Cut the stems off.
> >
> >Then, when you can see how the inner membranes run, slit it right down
> >one of those membranes.
> >
> >Then run your knife - steak or paring knife - around the inside of that
> >thing to liberate the inner membranes.
> >
> >The get ye to a sink, and use a teaspoon to get the rest of the
> >membranes and ssed out of these pepper.
> >
> >Next, chop equal ammounts of the most indigestible burnt ends of your
> >last brisket, chopped, and onion (not sweet onion, not from vidalia
> >county, we want the geniune article for this purpose). Now take some
> >cream cheese heated to about 90 degrees (that would be roonm temp, this
> >time a year)....mix it with that chopped brisket and onion with your
> >fingers till it feels right for putting into those cleaned-out
> >jalanpenos you made....
> >
> >Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
> >long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
> >jalapenos, don't blame me!

mail some mysterious powder to me lol

Louis Cohen

Cream cheese and brisket?

Not for me, thanks. For chiles rellenos, my favorite is probably poblano
chiles stuffed with bacalao (salt cod), a real Spanish and Mexican treat.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> Jalapenos
>
> Cut the stems off.
>
> Then, when you can see how the inner membranes run, slit it right down
> one of those membranes.
>
> Then run your knife - steak or paring knife - around the inside of that
> thing to liberate the inner membranes.
>
> The get ye to a sink, and use a teaspoon to get the rest of the
> membranes and ssed out of these pepper.
>
> Next, chop equal ammounts of the most indigestible burnt ends of your
> last brisket, chopped, and onion (not sweet onion, not from vidalia
> county, we want the geniune article for this purpose). Now take some
> cream cheese heated to about 90 degrees (that would be roonm temp, this
> time a year)....mix it with that chopped brisket and onion with your
> fingers till it feels right for putting into those cleaned-out
> jalanpenos you made....
>
> Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
> long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
> jalapenos, don't blame me!

Douglas Barber

BOB wrote:
> Douglas Barber wrote:
>
>>Jalapenos
>>
>><snip>>>Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
>>long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
>>jalapenos, don't blame me!

> Oven? Where's your grill/smoker?
> Ya also fergot to wrap 'em in bacon.
>
> BOB

Yeah, laziness had overcome me. First version of these that I learned
were wrapped in bacon like that, and the first thing to go inside the
jal. was a thin, raw slice of pork loin, briefly marinated in soy sauce,
then, inside that, some cheddar...think that was one of bigwheel's
versions ...they were excellent.

Once you develop a taste for these things, when you spy jalapenos that
are big and fat enough for easy cleaning and stuffing, it's hard to
resist buying them.

And the leftovers make a great microwaveable breakfast...right up there
with leftover pizza

Douglas Barber

Louis Cohen wrote:
> Cream cheese and brisket?
>
> Not for me, thanks. For chiles rellenos, my favorite is probably poblano
> chiles stuffed with bacalao (salt cod), a real Spanish and Mexican treat.

Is the fish the only thing in the stuffing?

bbq

Douglas Barber wrote:

> Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
> long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
> jalapenos, don't blame me!

Thanks, I picked up some Jalepeno's yesterday and cream cheese with
chives too. Think I have some bacon too to wrap around the Jalepeno's.
Gonna put them on the WSM while cooking a chix brined in Hound's Citrus
Brine.

Gonna be a fun day

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Neighbor Dave

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> Jalapenos
>
> Cut the stems off.
>
> Then, when you can see how the inner membranes run, slit it right down
> one of those membranes.
>
> Then run your knife - steak or paring knife - around the inside of that
> thing to liberate the inner membranes.
>
> The get ye to a sink, and use a teaspoon to get the rest of the
> membranes and ssed out of these pepper.
><snip>

The easy way is to use an apple corer, then you can skip all but the first
line. I can prep 100 at a time and still rub my eyes (no brag, just fact)
because using an apple corer you never touch the hot stuff.
Then the easy way to roast the japs is with a gadget called the chile grill,
and put the bacon over the top of the japs so it drips inside as it's
cooking.

--
Neighbor Dave Fillmore
"Beer is proof God loves us

BOB

Douglas Barber wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> Douglas Barber wrote:
>>
>>> Jalapenos
>>>
>>> <snip>>>Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for

as
>>> long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
>>> jalapenos, don't blame me!

>> Oven? Where's your grill/smoker?
>> Ya also fergot to wrap 'em in bacon.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> Yeah, laziness had overcome me. First version of these that I learned
> were wrapped in bacon like that, and the first thing to go inside the
> jal. was a thin, raw slice of pork loin, briefly marinated in soy sauce,
> then, inside that, some cheddar...think that was one of bigwheel's
> versions ...they were excellent.

LOL! It really doesn't matter *what* you stuff 'em with, but I always wrap in
bacon, IMO, a necessity.

> Once you develop a taste for these things, when you spy jalapenos that
> are big and fat enough for easy cleaning and stuffing, it's hard to
> resist buying them.

Yep! Even when you end up with wimpy, no heat peppers (but how do you know 'til
you bite into them?).

> And the leftovers make a great microwaveable breakfast...right up there
> with leftover pizza

Leftovers? What's that?

That's leftover *cold* pizza!

BOB

BOB

bbq wrote:
> Douglas Barber wrote:
>

>> Stuff 'em, put 'em in a 350 oven for 40 minutes or in your pit for as
>> long as it takes....and if ya got hold of a batch of super-hot
>> jalapenos, don't blame me!
>>

> Thanks, I picked up some Jalepeno's yesterday and cream cheese with
> chives too. Think I have some bacon too to wrap around the Jalepeno's.
> Gonna put them on the WSM while cooking a chix brined in Hound's Citrus
> Brine.
>
> Gonna be a fun day
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

Multi-tasking, I see. I like to use the flavored cream cheese, it just
eleminates a couple of steps in making the filling. IMO, you *GOT* to wrap in
bacon.

BOB

bbq

BOB wrote:

> Multi-tasking, I see. I like to use the flavored cream cheese, it just
> eleminates a couple of steps in making the filling. IMO, you *GOT* to wrap in
> bacon.

I did and they're on now. Pics soon on abf. It's raining here but that
didn't stop me today.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

L. Cook

"t gilb" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> > forgot to mention....when you turn on the oven in the 90 degree
> > house....point the fans to blow *out* and set 'em on high.

> You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when cutting up

the
> peppers.

I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't consider
that safe. But, I absolutely never rub my eyes either!

Reminds me of a funny and true story I heard while eating at a Ky.
restaurant called 'The Knotty Pine on the Bayou', a cajun style restaurant.
They serve very spicy foods and all the tables have a generous selection of
hot sauces on them. Well, it seems that a few days before we were there, a
small group of people were there and, you guessed it, one of the guys in
this group was the macho type. Nothing to hot for him, right? Well, they
ate, and this guy is messing around with the hot sauces, until, naturally,
nature finally calls. He gets up to go the the mens' room, a few minutes go
by, and the next thing you know there is this extreme disturbance coming
from the restroom. Yep, you guessed it--he forgot to rinse his hands
'before' he went to the rest room. The poor guy was on the floor in major
pain and they actually ended up calling 911!! I am not sure how one could
ever live that one down.

t gilb

"L. Cook" > wrote in message

> "t gilb" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
> > > forgot to mention....when you turn on the oven in the 90 degree
> > > house....point the fans to blow *out* and set 'em on high.

> > You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when cutting up

> the
> > peppers.

> I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't consider
> that safe.

Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
many hot peppers either.

Larry Noah

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:47:11 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>Douglas Barber wrote:
>> BOB wrote:

>as
>>>

>>> Oven? Where's your grill/smoker?
>>> Ya also fergot to wrap 'em in bacon.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>>

>> Yeah, laziness had overcome me. First version of these that I learned
>> were wrapped in bacon like that, and the first thing to go inside the
>> jal. was a thin, raw slice of pork loin, briefly marinated in soy sauce,
>> then, inside that, some cheddar...think that was one of bigwheel's
>> versions ...they were excellent.

>LOL! It really doesn't matter *what* you stuff 'em with, but I always wrap in
>bacon, IMO, a necessity.

It must be the 'pork fat thing'. I wrap pork tenderloins in bacon. I
use bacon over the turkey to baste it. Hell, I even fry bologa in
bacon grease.

BOB

Larry Noah wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:47:11 -0400, " BOB" wrote:
>
>> Douglas Barber wrote:

>>> Yeah, laziness had overcome me. First version of these that I learned
>>> were wrapped in bacon like that, and the first thing to go inside the
>>> jal. was a thin, raw slice of pork loin, briefly marinated in soy sauce,
>>> then, inside that, some cheddar...think that was one of bigwheel's
>>> versions ...they were excellent.

>> LOL! It really doesn't matter *what* you stuff 'em with, but I always wrap

in
>> bacon, IMO, a necessity.
>>

> It must be the 'pork fat thing'. I wrap pork tenderloins in bacon.

Great idea. Pork fat basting a lean cut of pork!

> use bacon over the turkey to baste it. Hell, I even fry bologa in
> bacon grease.

Since I started "basting" brisket with the drippings from a pork butt or a
picnic (picnic is my choice with brisket), my briskets have all been moist and
delicious!

BOB

Louis Cohen

Default Chiles Rellenos de bacalao

From _El Arte de Cocinar con Chile_ by Arturo Lomeli. Freely translated.

Use large poblano chiles, roast and peel them, and cut a slit to get the
stuffing in. You can stuff them with all kinds of things, but one of my
favorites is bacalao a la mexicana.

750 g bacalao (salt cod)
4 large, ripe tomatoes
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 ribs celery
2 branches parsley
1 tin of large chiles güeros en escabeche (yellow chiles in vinegar)
50 g almonds
100 g olives
50 g capers
bay leaf
1 T cinnamon
1 T ground black pepper
2 glasses white wine
1/2 cup olive oil

De-salt the bacalao and shred, removing any bones
Peel and chop the tomatoes into a fine dice, saving the juice.
Chop the celery, parsley, garlic, and onion
Heat the oil in a casserole; start with garlic, then the onion.
Then celery, parsley, and tomato.
Then bay leaf, cinnamon, black pepper. Let it cook 8 minutes, then add the
white wine and shredded fish - No more salt.

Simmer 15-20 minutes, add the olives, capers, and chiles without the vinegar
(or maybe 1 T of vinegar).
Don't cook more than another 5 minutes or the last ingredients will lose
flavor.

=======================
I made a nice bacalao dish for a Basque-themed picnic a few weeks ago,
recipe from _My Kitchen in Spain_ by janet mendel. I'm too lazy to type the
whole thing, but it was basically:

cooked white beans
bacalao de-salted, simmered, de-boned, and shredded
Mix the beans and bacalao, dress with olive oil, garlic, and parsley and
garnish with olives.

----

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:30:26 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
> > wrote:
>
> >Cream cheese and brisket?
> >
> >Not for me, thanks. For chiles rellenos, my favorite is probably poblano
> >chiles stuffed with bacalao (salt cod), a real Spanish and Mexican treat.

> Louis, I kill for bacalao! Well, not really, but my wife makes a
> killer bacalao salad which is an old Puerto Rican recipe handed down
> from her great-grandmother.
> But this bacalao treat sounds interesting. Any ideas where I can get
> the recipe?
> Thanks
> Eddie

Jon Choate

> > You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when cutting up

> the
> > peppers.

> I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't consider
> that safe. But, I absolutely never rub my eyes either!

Now this is a real fence bender. When it comes to meat and veggies, I
believe proper sanitation is much better than latex any day. OTOH,
with capsaisacan (sp?), onions, and nuts, I do tend to go the latex
route if fixin for anyone other than me or my other. Allergies tend to
be funny things...

> Reminds me of a funny and true story I heard while eating at a Ky.
> restaurant called 'The Knotty Pine on the Bayou', a cajun style restaurant.
> They serve very spicy foods and all the tables have a generous... (snip)

Funny thing...working in a popular mexican fast food rest. as a
teenager, I had a female assistant manager get involved in a
conversation with another employee about a problem in the parking lot
while seperating canned jalapeno's into serving cups, go out to check
out the problem outside the store, decided to stop by the restroom on
the way back.....you can imagine what happened..I can honestly say I
have never seen someone dance like that...8^)

M&M

On 6-Jul-2004, "t gilb" > wrote:

> "L. Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> > "t gilb" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> > > You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when cutting
> > > up

> > the
> > > peppers.

> > I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't consider
> > that safe.

> Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
> many hot peppers either.

A man ought to engage his brain before he turns his mouth loose. Some
poeple (like me) are virtually immune to volatile products such as hot
peppers and even poisen ivy. I handle peppers all the time bare handed,
but I must insure that my SO is not in the attack area because she is
not so protected. I don't do habeneros much, but I do prepare serranos
and Thai peppers every week. You check around a little and you'll find
that lot's of people don't need gloves to handle hot pepper. 'course they
also know better then to rub their eys or scratch their balls too.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Douglas Barber

M&M wrote:

> <seriously snipped> I handle peppers all the time bare handed,
> but I must insure that my SO is not in the attack area because she is
> not so protected. I don't do habeneros much, but I do prepare serranos
> and Thai peppers every week. <and more serious snipping>

Heheheh....this group is entirely too cranky. Whether or not you use
gloves to seed peppers ignites a flame war. Probably oughta type, with
asbestos gloves on, here....
t gilb

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 6-Jul-2004, "t gilb" > wrote:
>
> > "L. Cook" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "t gilb" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

cutting
> > > the
> > >
> > > I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't

consider
> > > that safe.

> > Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
> > many hot peppers either.

> A man ought to engage his brain before he turns his mouth loose. Some
> poeple (like me) are virtually immune to volatile products such as hot
> peppers and even poisen ivy. I handle peppers all the time bare handed,
> but I must insure that my SO is not in the attack area because she is
> not so protected. I don't do habeneros much, but I do prepare serranos
> and Thai peppers every week. You check around a little and you'll find
> that lot's of people don't need gloves to handle hot pepper. 'course they
> also know better then to rub their eys or scratch their balls too.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

How short sighted of me. If I'd have just thought a minute I'd have realized
that. Of course there's lots of poeple like you out there.

t gilb

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 6-Jul-2004, "t gilb" > wrote:
>
> > "L. Cook" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "t gilb" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

cutting
> > > the
> > >
> > > I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't

consider
> > > that safe.

> > Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
> > many hot peppers either.

> A man ought to engage his brain before he turns his mouth loose. Some
> poeple (like me) are virtually immune to volatile products such as hot
> peppers and even poisen ivy. I handle peppers all the time bare handed,
> but I must insure that my SO is not in the attack area because she is
> not so protected. I don't do habeneros much, but I do prepare serranos
> and Thai peppers every week. You check around a little and you'll find
> that lot's of people don't need gloves to handle hot pepper. 'course they
> also know better then to rub their eys or scratch their balls too.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

How short sighted of me. If I'd have just thought a minute I'd have realized
that. Of course there's lots of poeple like you out there.

Glenn Jacobs

Looks to be interesting. I will have to find a source of Bacalao in Denver
or Colorado Springs. Maybe the internet as shipping shouldn't be a
problem.

--
JakeInHartsel

Food, The Art Form that You Can Eat

Nancy Young

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> Looks to be interesting. I will have to find a source of Bacalao in Denver
> or Colorado Springs. Maybe the internet as shipping shouldn't be a
> problem.

I'm not sure of your spelling ... is it maybe bacaloa? Might help
your search.

nancy
Nancy Young

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> Looks to be interesting. I will have to find a source of Bacalao in Denver
> or Colorado Springs. Maybe the internet as shipping shouldn't be a
> problem.

I'm not sure of your spelling ... is it maybe bacaloa? Might help
your search.

nancy
Barry Grau

Glenn Jacobs > wrote in message >. ..
> Looks to be interesting. I will have to find a source of Bacalao in Denver
> or Colorado Springs. Maybe the internet as shipping shouldn't be a
> problem.

Good-sized Mexican groceries may carry it. Also Good sized Greek groceries.

-bwg
Barry Grau

Glenn Jacobs > wrote in message >. ..
> Looks to be interesting. I will have to find a source of Bacalao in Denver
> or Colorado Springs. Maybe the internet as shipping shouldn't be a
> problem.

Good-sized Mexican groceries may carry it. Also Good sized Greek groceries.

-bwg

TFM®

L. Cook wrote:
> "t gilb" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
>>> forgot to mention....when you turn on the oven in the 90 degree
>>> house....point the fans to blow *out* and set 'em on high.

>> You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when
>> cutting up the peppers.

> I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't
> consider that safe. But, I absolutely never rub my eyes either!
>
> Reminds me of a funny and true story I heard while eating at a Ky.
> restaurant called 'The Knotty Pine on the Bayou', a cajun style
> restaurant. They serve very spicy foods and all the tables have a
> generous selection of hot sauces on them. Well, it seems that a few
> days before we were there, a small group of people were there and,
> you guessed it, one of the guys in this group was the macho type.
> Nothing to hot for him, right? Well, they ate, and this guy is
> messing around with the hot sauces, until, naturally, nature finally
> calls. He gets up to go the the mens' room, a few minutes go by, and
> the next thing you know there is this extreme disturbance coming from
> the restroom. Yep, you guessed it--he forgot to rinse his hands
> 'before' he went to the rest room. The poor guy was on the floor in
> major pain and they actually ended up calling 911!! I am not sure
> how one could ever live that one down.

I feel his pain, but he was a real puss. I headed for the woods right after
coring a load of red jalapenos last time I was in Micanopy.

It burnt for about an hour, but there was no ruckus or emergency phone calls
made.

Hmmph, city folk.

TFM®

TFM®

L. Cook wrote:
> "t gilb" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> "Douglas Barber" > wrote in message
>>> forgot to mention....when you turn on the oven in the 90 degree
>>> house....point the fans to blow *out* and set 'em on high.

>> You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when
>> cutting up the peppers.

> I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't
> consider that safe. But, I absolutely never rub my eyes either!
>
> Reminds me of a funny and true story I heard while eating at a Ky.
> restaurant called 'The Knotty Pine on the Bayou', a cajun style
> restaurant. They serve very spicy foods and all the tables have a
> generous selection of hot sauces on them. Well, it seems that a few
> days before we were there, a small group of people were there and,
> you guessed it, one of the guys in this group was the macho type.
> Nothing to hot for him, right? Well, they ate, and this guy is
> messing around with the hot sauces, until, naturally, nature finally
> calls. He gets up to go the the mens' room, a few minutes go by, and
> the next thing you know there is this extreme disturbance coming from
> the restroom. Yep, you guessed it--he forgot to rinse his hands
> 'before' he went to the rest room. The poor guy was on the floor in
> major pain and they actually ended up calling 911!! I am not sure
> how one could ever live that one down.

I feel his pain, but he was a real puss. I headed for the woods right after
coring a load of red jalapenos last time I was in Micanopy.

It burnt for about an hour, but there was no ruckus or emergency phone calls
made.

Hmmph, city folk.

TFM®

BOB

TFM® wrote:

> I feel his pain, but he was a real puss. I headed for the woods right after
> coring a load of red jalapenos last time I was in Micanopy.
>
> It burnt for about an hour, but there was no ruckus or emergency phone calls
> made.
>
> Hmmph, city folk.
>

> TFM®

T(no longerFM®,

Consider the source of the information to which you are responding.
I've noticed nothing credible from that source.

BOB
fire readying for ribs as I type

BOB

TFM® wrote:

> I feel his pain, but he was a real puss. I headed for the woods right after
> coring a load of red jalapenos last time I was in Micanopy.
>
> It burnt for about an hour, but there was no ruckus or emergency phone calls
> made.
>
> Hmmph, city folk.
>

> TFM®

T(no longerFM®,

Consider the source of the information to which you are responding.
I've noticed nothing credible from that source.

BOB
fire readying for ribs as I type

L. Cook

With all due respect, I have cooked for a number of years on the civilian
side, cooked four years in the navy, own a 60 acre farm where I grow "many"
hot peppers among other stuff. I've probably been cooking, conservatively,
around 45 years. And your point was?
"t gilb" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "L. Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> > "t gilb" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> > > You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when cutting

up
> > the
> > > peppers.

> > I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't consider
> > that safe.

> Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
> many hot peppers either.

L. Cook

With all due respect, I have cooked for a number of years on the civilian
side, cooked four years in the navy, own a 60 acre farm where I grow "many"
hot peppers among other stuff. I've probably been cooking, conservatively,
around 45 years. And your point was?
"t gilb" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "L. Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> > "t gilb" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> > > You also forgot to mention you might want to wear gloves when cutting

up
> > the
> > > peppers.

> > I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't consider
> > that safe.

> Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
> many hot peppers either.

L. Cook

Now, habaneros are another story. I don't actually handle them as
carefully hold them, eh? And I wouldn't let the juices get on my skin,
either--it's pretty potent. I just don't like wearing gloves because I can
handle a knife safer without them, and safety from cuts is of more
importance to me than the chemical burn I might get from a pepper. If you
want to be safest, have a very sharp knife, and just avoid the juices. It
works for me, anyway.

A ripened habanero is about the only pepper I cannot eat 'off the stem' with
food. They're brutally hot. Love 'em, though.
"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 6-Jul-2004, "t gilb" > wrote:
>
> > "L. Cook" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "t gilb" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

cutting
> > > the
> > >
> > > I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't

consider
> > > that safe.

> > Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
> > many hot peppers either.

> A man ought to engage his brain before he turns his mouth loose. Some
> poeple (like me) are virtually immune to volatile products such as hot
> peppers and even poisen ivy. I handle peppers all the time bare handed,
> but I must insure that my SO is not in the attack area because she is
> not so protected. I don't do habeneros much, but I do prepare serranos
> and Thai peppers every week. You check around a little and you'll find
> that lot's of people don't need gloves to handle hot pepper. 'course they
> also know better then to rub their eys or scratch their balls too.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

L. Cook

"M&M" > wrote in message

> On 6-Jul-2004, "t gilb" > wrote:
>
> > "L. Cook" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "t gilb" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

cutting
> > > the
> > >
> > > I never use gloves when handling a knife because I just don't

consider
> > > that safe.

> > Don't tell surgeons about this. And I don't think you've ever cut up too
> > many hot peppers either.

> A man ought to engage his brain before he turns his mouth loose. Some
> poeple (like me) are virtually immune to volatile products such as hot
> peppers and even poisen ivy. I handle peppers all the time bare handed,
> but I must insure that my SO is not in the attack area because she is
> not so protected. I don't do habeneros much, but I do prepare serranos
> and Thai peppers every week. You check around a little and you'll find
> that lot's of people don't need gloves to handle hot pepper. 'course they
> also know better then to rub their eys or scratch their balls too.
>
> --
> M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

L. Cook

Hey, Doug. Nah, don't worry about it. Some people just aren't happy unless
they're bitchin'. Probably some preteen with nothing better to do than tell
some of us we don't know what we are talking about.

So, have you ever put up jalapenos in olive oil? We put up a couple of
grocery bags full (the large brown paper ones) last year, and, man, are they
good. Peppers are one prolific plant, aren't they ;-).

"Douglas Barber" > wrote in message

> M&M wrote:
> >
> > <seriously snipped> I handle peppers all the time bare handed,
> > but I must insure that my SO is not in the attack area because she is
> > not so protected. I don't do habeneros much, but I do prepare serranos
> > and Thai peppers every week. <and more serious snipping>

> Heheheh....this group is entirely too cranky. Whether or not you use
> gloves to seed peppers ignites a flame war. Probably oughta type, with
> asbestos gloves on, here....

L. Cook