Alan S

Default Excellent Brisket Recipe

This makes a very nice brisket. I like it spicy so if you don't like it hot
then you will want to back off on the spices. This is a hot one.

Marinade brisket overnight with Dr. Pepper Marinade:

1 cup Dr. Pepper (Not Diet)
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup lime fresh squeezed juice
1 1/2 cups oil
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Rub brisket liberally with Lone Star Dry Rub:

3/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup salt (for those of you who use salt. I make this without any salt
and it's great)
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp ground cayenne

Mopping sauce to be applied every hour:

12 oz Lone Star beer
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup oil
1/4 medium onion chopped
5 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp of Lone Star Dry rub
1 Tbsp Worsteshire sauce
1 tsp Tabasco sauce

- A -

Douglas Barber

Alan S wrote:

> This makes a very nice brisket. I like it spicy so if you don't like it hot
> then you will want to back off on the spices. This is a hot one.
>
> Marinade brisket overnight with Dr. Pepper Marinade:
>
> 1 cup Dr. Pepper (Not Diet)
> 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
> 1/4 cup lime fresh squeezed juice
> 1 1/2 cups oil
> 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
>
> Rub brisket liberally with Lone Star Dry Rub:
>
> 3/4 cup Paprika
> 1/4 cup ground black pepper
> 1/4 cup chili powder
> 1/4 cup salt (for those of you who use salt. I make this without any salt
> and it's great)
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 2 Tbsp garlic powder
> 2 Tbsp onion powder
> 2 tsp ground cayenne
>
> Mopping sauce to be applied every hour:
>
> 12 oz Lone Star beer
> 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup oil
> 1/4 medium onion chopped
> 5 garlic cloves
> 2 Tbsp of Lone Star Dry rub
> 1 Tbsp Worsteshire sauce
> 1 tsp Tabasco sauce

Looks like a good one, the marinate is one of the versions of the late
Belly's (Billy Maynard) brisket marinate whose fame continues to grow.
Couple of versions of his brisket wisdom can be found at these links:
http://www.thesmokering.com/Recipes/BellysBrisket.jsp
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/bb...s_brisket.html
http://www.allchefsrecipes.com/beef/R110.htm

He just passed away a couple years ago, sadly for the many he was always
glad to share his barbecue wisdom with on these lists.

I like the way a moderate amount of soy sauce can "disappear" into what
seems like an enhanced beef flavor - a little bit does wonders for au jus.

JaKe

Alan S wrote:

> This makes a very nice brisket. I like it spicy so if you don't like it hot
> then you will want to back off on the spices. This is a hot one.
>
> Marinade brisket overnight with Dr. Pepper Marinade:
>
> 1 cup Dr. Pepper (Not Diet)
> 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
> 1/4 cup lime fresh squeezed juice
> 1 1/2 cups oil
> 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
>
> Rub brisket liberally with Lone Star Dry Rub:
>
> 3/4 cup Paprika
> 1/4 cup ground black pepper
> 1/4 cup chili powder
> 1/4 cup salt (for those of you who use salt. I make this without any salt
> and it's great)
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 2 Tbsp garlic powder
> 2 Tbsp onion powder
> 2 tsp ground cayenne
>
> Mopping sauce to be applied every hour:
>
> 12 oz Lone Star beer
> 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup oil
> 1/4 medium onion chopped
> 5 garlic cloves
> 2 Tbsp of Lone Star Dry rub
> 1 Tbsp Worsteshire sauce
> 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
>
> - A -

Hey, thanks for sharing!
--
JaKe, Seattle
"People never understood, that the drum is a musical instrument."