Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Excellent new soda drink recipe--world premiere, I think

Because of the nature of my work, I am away from home three days a
week, so I usually prepare all the food and drink I need for three
days and take it with me in a cooler. There is a fridge at work.

For drinks my preference is for iced tea--unsweet.

This is real easy, though not many people know how easy.

Take a gallon plastic container. I like the lemonade containers from
Wal*Mart, but any would do. Insert 4 family-size 1 quart teabags. Fill
with water and place in freezer. An hour later your tea is ready to
drink. Drink it. Keep the rest in the non freezer part of the fridge.

Now, I also like to make home-made ginger beer, but I find it a bit
sweet and if you guzzle a lot of it, it will affect your waistline and
probably your teeth. But sooner or later I knew I would end up
combining the tea and the ginger beer, so I did and the results are
sensational. I should patent it.

1. Take your one gallon plastic jug with screw top.
2. Use a funnel to insert 2 cups of white sugar.
3. Add three heaped tablespoons of ground ginger.
4. Add four tablespoons pure lemon juice.
5. Add 1/4 teaspoon of bread yeast.
6. Fill 3/4 full of tepid water, put on cap, and give it a good
shaking.
7. Insert 4 family size 1-quart teabags.
8. Top up the container with water, shake gently and set in a warm
place for about 2 days.
9. When the plastic jug is hard due to internal pressure, filter it
with a fine mesh and bottle into individual plastic bottles and
refrigerate. Or just put it in another gallon container and
refrigerate.
10. Drink when cold. If it sits in the fridge a couple of days it is
better.
11. Ah! Now that hits the spot.

Notes:

a) Adding the tea bags to the ginger beer mix gives it a more
astringent flavor.
b) A jug with a wide mouth makes it easier to extract the spent
teabags and use it again.
c) Be careful when opening the jug, it may foam over. If it explodes
before you open it, you may have left it too long. However, I once
mistakenly left a jug over the weekend on my porch and when I returned
it was still intact, though now shaped like a soccer ball!
d) A small amount of alcohol is generated in the process. This
improves the mouth feel, but the amount of alcohol is very, very low,
like an nonalcoholic beer. This is bread yeast, not brewer's yeast.