Artisanwomyn

Default Stove top grill - gas vs. electric

I am considering buying a stove top grill but have electric stove top. Do you
think they work as well with electric versus gas? I see these grills used a
lot on tv cooking shows, but they all have gas heat under the grill. Thanks.
Dana Myers

Artisanwomyn wrote:

> I am considering buying a stove top grill but have electric stove top. Do you
> think they work as well with electric versus gas? I see these grills used a
> lot on tv cooking shows, but they all have gas heat under the grill. Thanks.

I won't own an electric stove.

Dana
Douglas Barber

Artisanwomyn wrote:

> I am considering buying a stove top grill but have electric stove top. Do you
> think they work as well with electric versus gas? I see these grills used a
> lot on tv cooking shows, but they all have gas heat under the grill. Thanks.

Can't see why the heat source would make any difference. All these
things do is hold the meat up out of the liquids that drip out of it
during cooking. They're not even "grills" in the sense that the "grills"
recessed into range-tops are - those things at least generate a little
smoke when the dripping fat hits the heat source before being diverted
to the grease collector. I reckon the people over in rec.food.cooking
might know more on this, but you may want to wear your asbestos undies
if you venture in there.

Dave Bugg

Artisanwomyn wrote:
> I am considering buying a stove top grill but have electric stove
> top. Do you think they work as well with electric versus gas? I see
> these grills used a lot on tv cooking shows, but they all have gas
> heat under the grill. Thanks.

Given that this NG is devoted to topics related to outdoor cooking,
especially barbecue, this is really off topic. I would ask at
rec.food.cooking or rec.food.equipment

Jason in Dallas

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:c8myc.83806
> I won't own an electric stove.

They do suck but some of us own homes that came with with electric stoves
and are too cheap/lazy to have the gas line installed for a proper gas
stove. I'd like very much to have a Viking or Jenn-Air with a downdraft
system and all the goodies and I can afford it but it's a royal PITA to have
the kitchen torn up.

Still others rent and have no choice.

Dana Myers

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:c8myc.83806
>
>>I won't own an electric stove.

> They do suck but some of us own homes that came with with electric stoves
> and are too cheap/lazy to have the gas line installed for a proper gas
> stove. I'd like very much to have a Viking or Jenn-Air with a downdraft
> system and all the goodies and I can afford it but it's a royal PITA to have
> the kitchen torn up.
>
> Still others rent and have no choice.

I understand, and I didn't intend to sound harsh, I just feel strongly
about the topic. Electric stoves are terrible, and I pity the poor
souls that have to make do with one ;-)

Dana

M&M

On 15-Jun-2004, "Jason in Dallas" > wrote:

> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:c8myc.83806
> > I won't own an electric stove.

> They do suck but some of us own homes that came with with electric stoves
> and are too cheap/lazy to have the gas line installed for a proper gas
> stove. I'd like very much to have a Viking or Jenn-Air with a downdraft
> system and all the goodies and I can afford it but it's a royal PITA to
> have
> the kitchen torn up.
>
> Still others rent and have no choice.

Agreed with all of the above. I moved into this POS mfg home about
12 years ago. It had an electric range with only one burner working.
About $40 in new burner sockets and it was back in business, but
it was still a POS as stoves go. I finally got a little windfall and bought
a 30" Jenn-Air. It lacks most of the bells and whistles, usually assoc-
iated with a Jenn-Air. But is has a "hot" burner capable of lighting up
a wok pretty well and more uncommonly, a "simmer" burner that turns
down to candlepower. The oven has standard and convection features
and the electronic controls are excellent. Oh yeh, my real point is that
I wanted a nice gas range, but don't have the physical room for that
downdraft Jenn-Air or the Viking that I really wanted. I don't even have the

room for a 36" range let alone a 48" with built in grill etc. Price was not
the deciding factor in my case. I have a plumber friend and got a pretty
good deal on the gas installation. That required a permit ($50), testing
and inspection plus the plumbing cost. The kitchen was never torn up
for that, just for the floor repair after the old fridge dumped water on it.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Harry Demidavicius

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:01:12 GMT, "M&M" >
wrote:

>On 15-Jun-2004, "Jason in Dallas" > wrote:
>
>> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:c8myc.83806
>> > I won't own an electric stove.

>> They do suck but some of us own homes that came with with electric stoves
>> and are too cheap/lazy to have the gas line installed for a proper gas
>> stove. I'd like very much to have a Viking or Jenn-Air with a downdraft
>> system and all the goodies and I can afford it but it's a royal PITA to
>> have
>> the kitchen torn up.
>>
>> Still others rent and have no choice.

>Agreed with all of the above.

>Oh yeh, my real point is that
>I wanted a nice gas range, but don't have the physical room for that
>downdraft Jenn-Air or the Viking that I really wanted. I don't even have the
>
>room for a 36" range let alone a 48" with built in grill etc.

We thought about this carefully when we bought this [new] house in
late 2002. We settled on a KA flat top with convection as we had
experience with a flat top before and liked it. It isn't as quick as
a gas range top but a hell of a lot faster than the coil type and
generates good temps at about 1/2 the price of a dual fuel gas hybrid.
Running the gas was not an issue.

BTW I have been told by the dealer that the down draft is not nearly
as efficient as a good overhead hood fan, and they only installed
them where the range was on an island. I took their word for it.

Harry