Bob

Default Brisket Type/Size

Hello all. I help out with a monthly dinner in the area that feeds
about 50 to 60 people. For the summer they are doing grilled foods. I
usually just smoke briskets for the immediate family and my a couple
of friend, but I would love to do one for this group of people. I was
curious what people thought would be the best cut of brisket to get
and a good size for that many people...........

frohe

Bob wrote:
> Hello all. I help out with a monthly dinner in the area that feeds
> about 50 to 60 people. For the summer they are doing grilled foods.

> usually just smoke briskets for the immediate family and my a couple
> of friend, but I would love to do one for this group of people. I

was
> curious what people thought would be the best cut of brisket to get
> and a good size for that many people...........

The best brisket to get is the packer cut one. It's run around 14
pounds, give or take a couple pounds. When I do brisket for a group I
plan on a half pound per person, not worryin about if they be male or
female. Brisket'll cook down to about half its weight, so a 14
pounder will be 7 pounds when done. 60 folks then would take 9
briskets.

I know folks will differ on this but I've found it works just fine.
Sides, no one turns down leftover brisket.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

M&M

On 10-Jun-2004, Bob > wrote:

> Hello all. I help out with a monthly dinner in the area that feeds
> about 50 to 60 people. For the summer they are doing grilled foods. I
> usually just smoke briskets for the immediate family and my a couple
> of friend, but I would love to do one for this group of people. I was
> curious what people thought would be the best cut of brisket to get
> and a good size for that many people...........

I cooked a 13# packer cut brisket yesterday. It netted 9# or about 69%.
I would plan on 1/2#/person and estimate 65% net yield on raw brisket.
Start with at least 45# and you should be relatively safe. Plan on some
sides though. Brunswick stew, cole slaw and beans are old standby's.
Roasted corn on the cob wouldn't hurt either. Figure on 4 gals each of
stew, cole slaw and beans. Have fun.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")