Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Right size : Prep Bowl size

"Drew Cutter" > wrote:
> What is a good size for prep bowls ? Depends on what your are
> preparing ? What size is good for multiple ingredients when you are preparing
> a meal ?

It's kind of funny what I'm using for prep bowls. I use them most often for
putting ingredients for stir fries or pizza toppings in them. They are a set of
eight Corelle soup bowls, about 6" across.

They are 25 years old, and I got them for free in a round about way. They were a
wedding gift my sister got in 1982. She asked me to temporarily store them and a
bunch of other boxes because she had a small apartment and I had a house. Fast
forward 13 years... she is divorced and remarried by then. She comes over my
house with husband #2, and I say: isn't it about time you opened your wedding
gifts from your first wedding? ;-) She ended up giving me much of those wedding
gifts I was storing, including those bowls.

It really doesn't matter what you use as a prep bowl. I like these because the
serve double duty as prep bowls and as soup bowls. I have various other bowl
sets of graduated sizes that are made of other materials: stainless (5 bowls),
melamine (4 bowls), and glass (11 bowls). I consider the smaller bowls in these
sets to be prep bowls. These sets are kitchen pieces, not serving pieces.

You might want to consider what kinds of things you make so you know what size
bowls would be useful and how many you might need. Of the bowls more
specifically intended for prep, some come with lids.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 17, 8:55 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "Drew Cutter" > wrote:
> > What is a good size for prep bowls ? Depends on what your are
> > preparing ? What size is good for multiple ingredients when you are preparing
> > a meal ?

> You might want to consider what kinds of things you make so you know what size
> bowls would be useful and how many you might need. Of the bowls more
> specifically intended for prep, some come with lids.
>
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

I think wff is certainly right when she says to consider what you are
preparing that you would use them for; however, I did buy a set of
heavy stainless steel bowls which were a good buy at Costco and they
sat there for about a year before I found a use for them. I had been
using a set of ss thinner and not as wieldy that I had bought at Big
Lots for a song. I also use a set of melamine ones for soaking
veggies etc, because they are not so heavy to wash.

But the heavy ones, for some reason, I use almost exclusively now for
making ice cream. All four are used in the process. One to go over
the boiling pot to scald the milk, one for beating the eggs and sugar,
the biggest one to put the ice in, and the second largest to pour the
custard into to cool. Voila! I'm glad I have them. They are my
special ice cream bowls. Now, when I buy that ice cream compressor
machine (who knows when?), I'll have to find another use for these
heavy stainless steel bowls.

Try buying a set of the cheaper (Indian made, I think) and see how
they work for you. Then you can go from there.
Dee