Default Looking for a good source for Buffalo

The doc is all over me to get my cholesterol down.
I enjoy a good buffalo burger anyway so I've been searching
on line but everyone is so expensive and I don't get why?
we have a bar and grill here that serves it and it only about 75cents more per burger.
If anyone has a place I'd be greatfull.
almost forgot, has anyone done a buffalo brisket?
It's going to kill my this summer making briskets only to watch everyone eating while I'm there
with my crapy chicken breast
Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
.. .
> The doc is all over me to get my cholesterol down.
> I enjoy a good buffalo burger anyway so I've been searching
> on line but everyone is so expensive and I don't get why?
> we have a bar and grill here that serves it and it only about 75cents more

per burger.
> If anyone has a place I'd be greatfull.
> almost forgot, has anyone done a buffalo brisket?
> It's going to kill my this summer making briskets only to watch everyone

eating while I'm there
> with my crapy chicken breast
> Thanks

I have a local source in Uxbridge, MA but not knowing where you live, it
probably does not matter.

FWIW, eating nothing but chicken does not necessarily lower your
cholesterol. Do some research and you may be enjoying your brisket while
eating more grains and exercising more. Too many doctors and not properly
trained nutritionists are quick to say "no beef" when maybe a smaller
portion and other changes is best for you. There are vegetarians that also
have high cholesterol because of other things going on in their bodies.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
..

Douglas Barber

wrote:
> The doc is all over me to get my cholesterol down.
> I enjoy a good buffalo burger anyway so I've been searching
> on line but everyone is so expensive and I don't get why?
> we have a bar and grill here that serves it and it only about 75cents more per burger.
> If anyone has a place I'd be greatfull.
> almost forgot, has anyone done a buffalo brisket?
> It's going to kill my this summer making briskets only to watch everyone eating while I'm there
> with my crapy chicken breast
> Thanks

I'm guessing they're adding beef fat to that buffalo meat when they
grind it, so it's not more health food than a regular burger (if I'm
guessing right). Now if you can lay your hands on some elk steak, and
grill it very rare...that's low-cholesterol heaven. Maybe this diet
thing will require you to buy plane tickets to elk country...but I doubt
the insurance covers that yet!

I wouldn't want to quarrel with your doc, but I can't believe that all
you care to eat slices from the flat of the brisket, once every three
weeks, trimmed, after cooking, of visible fat, is going to do you in.
Even the point - most of that non-red stuff is collagen, not fat, that
breaks down over the long, slow, cooking process in the point...

I do believe that there's more fat per ounce of meat eaten, in a
well-cooked juicy burger, than in any properly barbecued meat. Take it
for what it's worth - I'm no expert on nutrition.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > The doc is all over me to get my cholesterol down.

> []
> FWIW, eating nothing but chicken does not necessarily lower your
> cholesterol. Do some research and you may be enjoying your brisket while
> eating more grains and exercising more. Too many doctors and not
> properly trained nutritionists are quick to say "no beef" when maybe a
> smaller portion and other changes is best for you. There are vegetarians
> that also have high cholesterol because of other things going on in their
> bodies. Ed

Express yerself! Anger & hostility work well for me. I eat beef,
chicharrones, chicken skin, all the time. Good cholesterol 112, bad 25.
When I get ****ed off, everybody knows it!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, drunk in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Douglas Barber

wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> wrote in message
>>
>>>The doc is all over me to get my cholesterol down.

>>[]
>>FWIW, eating nothing but chicken does not necessarily lower your
>>cholesterol. Do some research and you may be enjoying your brisket while
>>eating more grains and exercising more. Too many doctors and not
>>properly trained nutritionists are quick to say "no beef" when maybe a
>>smaller portion and other changes is best for you. There are vegetarians
>>that also have high cholesterol because of other things going on in their
>>bodies. Ed

> Express yerself! Anger & hostility work well for me. I eat beef,
> chicharrones, chicken skin, all the time. Good cholesterol 112, bad 25.
> When I get ****ed off, everybody knows it!

I seem to remember learning somewhere that most of the cholesterol
that's in a person's blood, is manufactured in their liver, and that you
can go on the most radical diet in the world, without affecting in the
least the way your liver produces cholesterol. Now saturated fats be a
different story....on that score, I seem to remember learning that
monounsaturated fats - olive oil, pre-eminently, but also others -
actually tend to displace saturated fats in your body, to some limited
extent....hence the virtues of the so-called "mediterranean
diet"....Barbecue's a lot of work, I don't think many folks are going to
die from eating too much barbecue that they prepared themselves...prolly
more pass on from an excess of the libations which from time to time may
prove necessary in the course of making the necessary preparations....

Well I screwed up that reply it must have went to .com oblivion. gotta make it short time to get the kids in the bath
and start dinner( the wife hasn't got the gas grill thing down yet, burned 2 dinners this weekend)
anyway .I realize that this is going to be a lifestyle change.
in 3 yrs I went from 130 to 265, My diet has been less than exemplary. burgers & fries
for lunch daily, pizza at least twice a week,popcorn with 3/4 stick of butter ,Fettuccine Alfredo .
I could go on but you get the Idea. I'm just looking for alternatives and am still trying to
get the good vs bad thing figured out.

Douglas Barber

wrote:

> Well I screwed up that reply it must have went to .com oblivion. gotta make it short time to get the kids in the bath
> and start dinner( the wife hasn't got the gas grill thing down yet, burned 2 dinners this weekend)
> anyway .I realize that this is going to be a lifestyle change.
> in 3 yrs I went from 130 to 265, My diet has been less than exemplary. burgers & fries
> for lunch daily, pizza at least twice a week,popcorn with 3/4 stick of butter ,Fettuccine Alfredo .
> I could go on but you get the Idea. I'm just looking for alternatives and am still trying to
> get the good vs bad thing figured out.

Well, if I can venture off-topic, there are three healthy ways of eating
those boneless breastesses that are near to my heart. Hopefully, since
the second way is grilled, it'll pass muster for the list. One is
sauteed, in olive oil, with green olives, a bit of tomato paste,
mushrooms optional, and wine and maybe chicken broth, very tasty over
pasta, "mediterranean chicken" on Google would probably turn up a few
variants on it. The other is marinated for about 90 minutes in a mix of
2 parts olive oil, 1 part lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and then
grilled - that marinade is also very good on lean boneless pork headed
toward a quick grilling. Third: breaded (use eggbeaters, if need be, to
make the breading adhere) in a mixture of 2 part cornflake crumbs one
part parmesan cheese, pop in a hot oven in a dish with olive or canola
oil in the bottom. Turn after 20 minutes to brown the other side. Top
with spaghetti sauce and mozzerella, back in the oven for 5 minutes,
serve with spaghetti noodles and additional spaghetti sauce. Mock veal
parmesan. And I still say you're entitled to all the brisket flat you
can eat, trimmed of visible fat, once every three weeks!

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message

> I realize that this is going to be a lifestyle change.
> in 3 yrs I went from 130 to 265, My diet has been less than exemplary.

burgers & fries
> for lunch daily, pizza at least twice a week,popcorn with 3/4 stick of

butter ,Fettuccine Alfredo .
> I could go on but you get the Idea. I'm just looking for alternatives and

am still trying to
> get the good vs bad thing figured out.

Yeah, you need more than just buffalo meat. Eat the brisket, just a little
less of it and add lots of fruits and salads and grains. I don't have a
cholesterol problem, but I do have to lighten up a bit. Not easy to so.