mtbchip

Default Charcoal

What kind do you use?

I'm curious, just what kind of wood is used to make Kingsford coals?

Has anyone every heard of coconut coal bricketts? Ever tried them???

TIA!

Mtbchip ..........................mtb is for mountain bike, where I burn all
the (BBQ) calories I eat ;-)

Dave Bugg

mtbchip wrote:

> What kind do you use?

Lump charcoal

> I'm curious, just what kind of wood is used to make Kingsford coals?

A mish-mash of various woods. But the RRRREEEEAAAALL story is the other
GUNK that makes briquettes, like Kingsford, anathema: binders, fillers,
coal. Great stuff to flavor meat.

> Has anyone every heard of coconut coal bricketts? Ever tried them???

Yep. BTW, coal is the stuff mined out of the ground. CHARcoal is produced by
carbonizing wood by burning it.

See the BBQ FAQ at:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html From whence the tidbit below
emanated

7.10 Briquettes vs. lump charcoal
[What is the difference between charcoal briquettes and lump charcoal?]

Editor--A summary of several posts--

Many List members have a strong preference for lump charcoal over
conventional charcoal briquettes. Briquettes are produced by crushing
charcoal and mixing in additives, such as nitrates (to make them burn
better), and clays and starches (as binders to allow pressing into the
traditional shape). Some List members say the additives tend to impart their
own undesirable flavors to meats smoked for long periods of time, as all
good barbecue must be prepared. A Kingsford Company spokeswoman recently
stated: "Briquettes are preferred by Americans for their uniform size and
stable heat." She pooh-poohs concerns about their ingredients, which
include: powdered charcoal, anthracite coal for long burning, limestone to
create white ash, starch as binders, and sawdust and sodium nitrate for
quick lighting. "The starch is perfectly natural and the coal is
high-quality coal".

Pure charcoal (lump) can usually be found with diligent searching (some
supermarkets, WalMart, HQ and Home Depot, etc.). It is sold in bags similar
to briquettes. Pure charcoal is carbonized wood with no additives which
might impart unwanted flavors in the meat. It usually comes in the naturally
irregular shapes of the real wood from which it is made. Bags of lump
charcoal are usually marked with the name of the wood it was made from, i.e.
hickory, mesquite, oak, etc.

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:55:26 -0700, mtbchip > wrote:

>What kind do you use?
>
> I'm curious, just what kind of wood is used to make Kingsford coals?
>
>Has anyone every heard of coconut coal bricketts? Ever tried them???
>
>TIA!
>
>Mtbchip ..........................mtb is for mountain bike, where I burn all
>the (BBQ) calories I eat ;-)

The Kamado folks make and import coconut briquettes. They are 100%
compressed coconut husk . You can read up on them at www.kamado.com

Dave has done a great job explaining Kingsford in the post following
your question.

Harry
The Naked Whiz

On Thu, 13 May 2004 05:02:34 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:55:26 -0700, mtbchip > wrote:
>
>>What kind do you use?
>>
>> I'm curious, just what kind of wood is used to make Kingsford coals?
>>
>>Has anyone every heard of coconut coal bricketts? Ever tried them???
>>
>>TIA!
>>
>>Mtbchip ..........................mtb is for mountain bike, where I burn all
>>the (BBQ) calories I eat ;-)

>The Kamado folks make and import coconut briquettes. They are 100%
>compressed coconut husk . You can read up on them at www.kamado.com
>
>Dave has done a great job explaining Kingsford in the post following
>your question.
>
>Harry

Harry, I thought the Kamado extruded coconut charcoal was made from
shells, not husk.

TNW
Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:42:24 GMT, The Naked Whiz
> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 May 2004 05:02:34 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:55:26 -0700, mtbchip > wrote:
>>
>>>What kind do you use?
>>>
>>> I'm curious, just what kind of wood is used to make Kingsford coals?
>>>
>>>Has anyone every heard of coconut coal bricketts? Ever tried them???
>>>
>>>TIA!
>>>
>>>Mtbchip ..........................mtb is for mountain bike, where I burn all
>>>the (BBQ) calories I eat ;-)

>>The Kamado folks make and import coconut briquettes. They are 100%
>>compressed coconut husk . You can read up on them at www.kamado.com
>>
>>Dave has done a great job explaining Kingsford in the post following
>>your question.
>>
>>Harry

>Harry, I thought the Kamado extruded coconut charcoal was made from
>shells, not husk.
>
>TNW

And the difference must be in the language, I guess
Harry

Jim Elbrecht

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

>On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:42:24 GMT, The Naked Whiz
> wrote:

-snip-
>>Harry, I thought the Kamado extruded coconut charcoal was made from
>>shells, not husk.
>>
>>TNW

>And the difference must be in the language, I guess
>Harry

Nope-- The husk is the relatively soft outer 'shell'. The *shell* is
the hard layer next to the meat.

Here's one still in the husk-
http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/pic1/whlcoco.jpg

Jim

Charcoal Brick[_3_] Barbecue 0 29-04-2009 11:31 PM
Original Charcoal - Rancher's Natural Charcoal Sqwertz[_27_] Barbecue 25 16-04-2009 04:32 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc? markm75 General Cooking 31 14-05-2007 05:11 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal (and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc)? markm75 Barbecue 11 12-05-2007 06:15 PM
Lump charcoal VS Charcoal briquettes ken ullman Barbecue 40 22-08-2005 08:44 PM