Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc?

I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...

Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?

I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...

Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

markm75 so bravely stated:
> I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...
>
> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...
>
> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..
>
> So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
> bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...
>
> Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
> can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
> closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?
>
> I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
> mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...
>
> Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
> price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

Gas Grill - easy & quick.
Charcoal - better & slow.
Hardwood -hickory, apple, mesquite - best & slowest

I have a gas grill. The best thing about it is it's ready for quick use
when I want it. But if I've got the time ....

--
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
the bubbles stop.
><<XX>:> Buddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 2:41 pm, Buddy <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
> markm75 so bravely stated:
>

> > I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> > wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

> > I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> > things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

> > But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> > use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> > the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> > on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

> > So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
> > bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...

> > Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
> > can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
> > closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?

> > I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
> > mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...

> > Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
> > price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

> Gas Grill - easy & quick.
> Charcoal - better & slow.
> Hardwood -hickory, apple, mesquite - best & slowest
>
> I have a gas grill. The best thing about it is it's ready for quick use
> when I want it. But if I've got the time ....
>
> --
> You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
> the bubbles stop.
> -
> ><<XX>:> Buddy- Hide quoted text -

So the flavored devices dont help much on gas i take it ?

I guess I dont see why cook on gas grills outside if the taste isnt
there.. I mean, I have a foreman style grill inside.. would the gas
not be better than at least this? To me, I'd image there wouldnt be
much difference, flavor devices aside?

Cheers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 2:08?pm, markm75 > wrote:
> I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...
>
> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...
>
> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

Charcoal imparts no taste per se... the idea of using lump charcoal
for grilling is that it imparts no taste, whereas briquettes contain
lots of substances that do impart flavor, bad flavor. Gas grills
impart no taste either. Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the same
flavor by the same method, by fat dripping onto the hot coals or hot
lava rocks or hot metal flavor bars... whatever the method the flavor
is from the smoke created from burning fat. With both gas and lump
charcoal to impart wood flavor one must employ smoke from smoldering
chips of various aromatic woods... real charcoal is no longer wood, it
cannot impart any wood flavor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 5:01 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On May 10, 2:08?pm, markm75 > wrote:
>
> > I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> > wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

> > I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> > things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

> > But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> > use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> > the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> > on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

> Charcoal imparts no taste per se... the idea of using lump charcoal
> for grilling is that it imparts no taste, whereas briquettes contain
> lots of substances that do impart flavor, bad flavor. Gas grills
> impart no taste either. Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the same
> flavor by the same method, by fat dripping onto the hot coals or hot
> lava rocks or hot metal flavor bars... whatever the method the flavor
> is from the smoke created from burning fat. With both gas and lump
> charcoal to impart wood flavor one must employ smoke from smoldering
> chips of various aromatic woods... real charcoal is no longer wood, it
> cannot impart any wood flavor.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal
>
> Sheldon

Sorry, not sure if i followed what you were implying there..

Your saying with a gas grill, even with the lava rocks or other
devices, there will be no added taste or flavor only using a real
charcoal grill will this effect occur?

I guess this bounces back to what I am wondering.. Gas grill = same
taste as in house foreman style grill?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

markm75 wrote:
> On May 10, 5:01 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>> On May 10, 2:08?pm, markm75 > wrote:
>>
>>> I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
>>> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

>>> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
>>> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

>>> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
>>> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
>>> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat
>>> dripping on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

>> Charcoal imparts no taste per se... the idea of using lump charcoal
>> for grilling is that it imparts no taste, whereas briquettes contain
>> lots of substances that do impart flavor, bad flavor. Gas grills
>> impart no taste either. Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the
>> same flavor by the same method, by fat dripping onto the hot coals
>> or hot lava rocks or hot metal flavor bars... whatever the method
>> the flavor is from the smoke created from burning fat. With both
>> gas and lump charcoal to impart wood flavor one must employ smoke
>> from smoldering chips of various aromatic woods... real charcoal is
>> no longer wood, it cannot impart any wood flavor.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal
>>
>> Sheldon

> Sorry, not sure if i followed what you were implying there..
>
> Your saying with a gas grill, even with the lava rocks or other
> devices, there will be no added taste or flavor only using a real
> charcoal grill will this effect occur?

Well, a basic reading of Sheldon's post stated:

" Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the same flavor by the same method,
by fat dripping onto the hot coals or hot lava rocks or hot metal flavor
bars... ".

> I guess this bounces back to what I am wondering.. Gas grill = same
> taste as in house foreman style grill?

No.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

markm75 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > markm75 wrote:
> >
> > > I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> > > things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

> > > But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> > > use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> > > the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> > > on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

> > Charcoal imparts no taste per se... the idea of using lump charcoal
> > for grilling is that it imparts no taste, whereas briquettes contain
> > lots of substances that do impart flavor, bad flavor. *Gas grills
> > impart no taste either. *Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the same
> > flavor by the same method, by fat dripping onto the hot coals or hot
> > lava rocks or hot metal flavor bars... whatever the method the flavor
> > is from the smoke created from burning fat. *With both gas and lump
> > charcoal to impart wood flavor one must employ smoke from smoldering
> > chips of various aromatic woods... real charcoal is no longer wood, it
> > cannot impart any wood flavor.

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal

> Sorry, not sure if i followed what you were implying there..

I never ever imply... not ever... I don't even know how. Whatever I
have to say I say without any if's, and, or buts... I don't think
anyone on this planet is more direct, of which no one will dispute, in
fact no one would dare. No one as of yet has ever accused me of
beating around the bush.

> Your saying with a gas grill, even with the lava rocks or other
> devices, there will be no added taste or flavor only using a real
> charcoal grill will this effect occur?
>
> I guess this bounces back to what I am wondering.. Gas grill = same
> taste as in house foreman style grill.

I haven't clue what it is you are communicating because I haven't a
clue what language you're writing... it's definitely not English. As
an example of my directness... you ****ing no IQ imbecile!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Well, a basic reading of Sheldon's post stated:
>
> " Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the same flavor by the same method, by
> fat dripping onto the hot coals or hot lava rocks or hot metal flavor bars...
> ".

Some of the methods used on gas grills are more successful than others in
producing the smoke from the drippings. I guess some get about the same effect
as charcoal, but others don't do as good a job.

The problem I had with lava rocks or ceramic briquets in a gas grill is they
absorb the drippings of whatever was cooked last. This carried over to the next
food cooked. Beef flavored fish doesn't taste that great. Also, if you don't
regularly burn off all the grease, it can accumulate and eventually start a big
grease fire.

I went back to using charcoal, primarily to get around the flavor carry over
problem. Maybe it doesn't happen on grills using metal flavor bars.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 10:43 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:

> Some of the methods used on gas grills are more successful than others in
> producing the smoke from the drippings. I guess some get about the same effect
> as charcoal, but others don't do as good a job.
>
> The problem I had with lava rocks or ceramic briquets in a gas grill is they
> absorb the drippings of whatever was cooked last. This carried over to the next
> food cooked. Beef flavored fish doesn't taste that great. Also, if you don't
> regularly burn off all the grease, it can accumulate and eventually start a big
> grease fire.
>
> I went back to using charcoal, primarily to get around the flavor carry over
> problem. Maybe it doesn't happen on grills using metal flavor bars.
>
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Thanks for that response.. that was more or less what I was aiming at
figuring out.

So based on that notion, the first round of cooking via gas over lava
or briquets actually is comparible to a charcoal grill then, Perhaps
the metal flavor bars being a little better on round two?

In my own practical asking of questions among local friends, I had one
guy say, " I dont like gas at all, I've tried the lava rocks and other
methods but they didnt equal the charcoal taste".. while another
swears that the taste is close enough.. Perhaps they werent using the
right type of flavoring devices then.. or this could strictly be an
opinion thing which will vary wildly depending on the individual.

Cheers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"markm75" > wrote:
> Thanks for that response.. that was more or less what I was aiming at
> figuring out.
>
> So based on that notion, the first round of cooking via gas over lava
> or briquets actually is comparible to a charcoal grill then, Perhaps
> the metal flavor bars being a little better on round two?

I guess if you cooked beef all of the time, you wouldn't be bothered with the
carry over problem. When I say carry over, it happens both when you grill two
things in succession, and when you grill on different days. I think many people
only use their grills for beef (steaks and hamburgers) and hot dogs, so they
don't notice the problem.

I'm not sure whether lava rocks or metal flavor bars are better as far as taste
is concerned. I never had a grill with metal flavor bars, so I can't compare. I
also never bothered to look at other people's grills when they were cooking food
that I ate.

> In my own practical asking of questions among local friends, I had one
> guy say, " I dont like gas at all, I've tried the lava rocks and other
> methods but they didnt equal the charcoal taste".. while another
> swears that the taste is close enough.. Perhaps they werent using the
> right type of flavoring devices then.. or this could strictly be an
> opinion thing which will vary wildly depending on the individual.

I'm sure there are diffences in how effective gas grills are in producing
flavor. But a lot of the time, people perceive one thing is better than another
solely by wishful thinking. If you buy a new grill to replace an old one, often
you will have an inherent bias to prefer the results using what you just
purchased. That's why blind taste tests are important, to eliminate this bias.
This aspect of human nature is present in all kinds of things people deal with.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"markm75" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...
>
> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...
>
> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..
>
> So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
> bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...
>
> Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
> can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
> closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?
>
> I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
> mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...
>
> Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
> price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

Charcoal is hotter, which is what you need if you want to grill
a 1.5" steak "char rare". You can't do that on a gas grill, unless it
has an infrared burner. I have a Weber Silver Genesis B and a Weber
Performer side by side, and I use the latter 75% of the time, to char
the steak. I think for larger roasts, like turkey and standing rib, the
charcoal
grill is much better than gas, when you grill indirectly and add wood.
However as I am hitting the geezer phase if life, and grilling more chicken
and fish, and getting lazy, I use the gas more and more. However when I want
wood
flavor, I always use the charcoal grill.

Good Luck in you quest,

Kent, with humility, always struggling with my level of ignorance in all
matters,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

markm75 so bravely stated:
> On May 10, 2:41 pm, Buddy <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
>> markm75 so bravely stated:
>>

>>> I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
>>> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...
>>> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
>>> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...
>>> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
>>> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
>>> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
>>> on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..
>>> So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
>>> bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...
>>> Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
>>> can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
>>> closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?
>>> I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
>>> mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...
>>> Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
>>> price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

>> Gas Grill - easy & quick.
>> Charcoal - better & slow.
>> Hardwood -hickory, apple, mesquite - best & slowest
>>
>> I have a gas grill. The best thing about it is it's ready for quick use
>> when I want it. But if I've got the time ....
>>
>> --
>> You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
>> the bubbles stop.
>> -
>> ><<XX>:> Buddy- Hide quoted text -

> So the flavored devices dont help much on gas i take it ?
>
> I guess I dont see why cook on gas grills outside if the taste isnt
> there.. I mean, I have a foreman style grill inside.. would the gas
> not be better than at least this? To me, I'd image there wouldnt be
> much difference, flavor devices aside?
>
> Cheers

Wars have been started over the question of which is the best way to
grill. But I don't think the GF grill is in the same category as a gas
or charcoal grill. Good grilling means smoke, like Sheldon says, from
the fat dripping on something that might even ignite it. With a gas
grill, you can isolate your flame from the dripping fats so you don't
set your food on fire. However, charcoal requires more finesse and most
of the time, the 'fire' is at it's best after folks are done grilling.

I would recommend never using charcoal lighter fluid or one-match types
as you have to burn off the hydro-carbons first and the fluid can be
dangerous when mixed with alcohol (in the griller, not the grill.) So, I
recommend using the tool that looks like a bit of stovepipe to get the
charcoal started. A sheet of newspaper wadded in the bottom sets it off
and your ready to grill in 20 minutes.

Gas or charcoal, you can use water soaked wood chips to get a wood-smoke
flavor, but then that's why real BBQ's use hardwood in the first place ;-)

--
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
the bubbles stop.
-
><<XX>:> Buddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon so bravely stated:
> markm75 wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> Charcoal imparts no taste per se... the idea of using lump charcoal
>>> for grilling is that it imparts no taste, whereas briquettes contain
>>> lots of substances that do impart flavor, bad flavor. �Gas grills
>>> impart no taste either. �Gas and lump charcoal impart exactly the same
>>> flavor by the same method, by fat dripping onto the hot coals or hot
>>> lava rocks or hot metal flavor bars... whatever the method the flavor
>>> is from the smoke created from burning fat. �With both gas and lump
>>> charcoal to impart wood flavor one must employ smoke from smoldering
>>> chips of various aromatic woods... real charcoal is no longer wood, it
>>> cannot impart any wood flavor.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal

>> Sorry, not sure if i followed what you were implying there..

> I never ever imply... not ever... I don't even know how. Whatever I
> have to say I say without any if's, and, or buts... I don't think
> anyone on this planet is more direct, of which no one will dispute, in
> fact no one would dare. No one as of yet has ever accused me of
> beating around the bush.
>
>> Your saying with a gas grill, even with the lava rocks or other
>> devices, there will be no added taste or flavor only using a real
>> charcoal grill will this effect occur?
>>
>> I guess this bounces back to what I am wondering.. Gas grill = same
>> taste as in house foreman style grill.

> I haven't clue what it is you are communicating because I haven't a
> clue what language you're writing... it's definitely not English. As
> an example of my directness... you ****ing no IQ imbecile!

And an excellent example of why you are a caustic bore, perhaps a
retired English teacher, but a caustic bore nonetheless.

--
You can lead a horse's ass to water, but you can't hold his head under
'til the bubbles stop.
><<XX>:> Buddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for all the tips and ideas..

I think i'm leaning on getting that weber performer grill (gas
ignition) for now.. it is a 22.5" surface, compared to the charcoal
30" i was originally going with.. but everyone seems to love that
grill.. not sure if it would be big enough if having a crowd over
though.

I'll probably experiment with some wood type charcoal in the future to
see how that tastes too.

Sure itll cost me a little more per use to go charcoal, but the taste
should outdo some gas configurations.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Buddy" <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
> I would recommend never using charcoal lighter fluid or one-match types as you
> have to burn off the hydro-carbons first and the fluid can be dangerous when
> mixed with alcohol (in the griller, not the grill.) So, I recommend using the
> tool that looks like a bit of stovepipe to get the charcoal started. A sheet
> of newspaper wadded in the bottom sets it off and your ready to grill in 20
> minutes.

And those charcoal chimneys are not without some risks also. I knew a guy that
got his arm severely burned when using one. I wouldn't doubt that alcohol was
involved (in the griller). Those chimneys can get red hot during use. It's not
so obvious in daylight, but at night it can be pretty noticeable. If you let it
go too long, it will be obvious in broad daylight too.

In spite of the risks, I use one too. The image of that guy's arm is permanently
imprinted in my memory, so I am very careful.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 so bravely stated:
> "Buddy" <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
>> I would recommend never using charcoal lighter fluid or one-match
>> types as you have to burn off the hydro-carbons first and the fluid
>> can be dangerous when mixed with alcohol (in the griller, not the
>> grill.) So, I recommend using the tool that looks like a bit of
>> stovepipe to get the charcoal started. A sheet of newspaper wadded in
>> the bottom sets it off and your ready to grill in 20 minutes.

> And those charcoal chimneys are not without some risks also. I knew a
> guy that got his arm severely burned when using one. I wouldn't doubt
> that alcohol was involved (in the griller). Those chimneys can get red
> hot during use. It's not so obvious in daylight, but at night it can be
> pretty noticeable. If you let it go too long, it will be obvious in
> broad daylight too.
>
> In spite of the risks, I use one too. The image of that guy's arm is
> permanently imprinted in my memory, so I am very careful.

Definitely. I'm a do-it-yourselfer when I can and have made one in the
past and it worked super. Used a broom-handle section for a handle and a
piece of flashing between it and the stove pipe to fend off some of the
heat.

--
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't hold his head under 'til
the bubbles stop.
-
><<XX>:> Buddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:38:14 -0400, Buddy <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:

>Sheldon so bravely stated:
>> markm75 wrote:

>>> Sorry, not sure if i followed what you were implying there..

>> I never ever imply... not ever... I don't even know how. Whatever I
>> have to say I say without any if's, and, or buts... I don't think
>> anyone on this planet is more direct, of which no one will dispute, in
>> fact no one would dare. No one as of yet has ever accused me of
>> beating around the bush.
>>
>>> Your saying with a gas grill, even with the lava rocks or other
>>> devices, there will be no added taste or flavor only using a real
>>> charcoal grill will this effect occur?
>>>
>>> I guess this bounces back to what I am wondering.. Gas grill = same
>>> taste as in house foreman style grill.

>> I haven't clue what it is you are communicating because I haven't a
>> clue what language you're writing... it's definitely not English. As
>> an example of my directness... you ****ing no IQ imbecile!

>And an excellent example of why you are a caustic bore, perhaps a
>retired English teacher, but a caustic bore nonetheless.
>>
>> Sheldon

sheldon an ex-english teacher? it is to laugh. some may be pricks
but most can spell and write grammatically.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 12:54 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:38:14 -0400, Buddy <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
> >Sheldon so bravely stated:

> >> I never ever imply... not ever... I don't even know how. Whatever I
> >> have to say I say without any if's, and, or buts... I don't think
> >> anyone on this planet is more direct, of which no one will dispute, in
> >> fact no one would dare. No one as of yet has ever accused me of
> >> beating around the bush.

> >> I haven't clue what it is you are communicating because I haven't a
> >> clue what language you're writing... it's definitely not English. As
> >> an example of my directness... you ****ing no IQ imbecile!

> >And an excellent example of why you are a caustic bore, perhaps a
> >retired English teacher, but a caustic bore nonetheless.

> >> Sheldon

> sheldon an ex-english teacher? it is to laugh. some may be pricks
> but most can spell and write grammatically.
>
> your pal,
> blake- Hide quoted text -

LOL

I wasnt going to say anything, but well said my friend *grin*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 3:22 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "markm75" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> >I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> > wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

> > I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> > things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

> > But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> > use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> > the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> > on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

> > So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
> > bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...

> > Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
> > can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
> > closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?

> > I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
> > mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...

> > Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
> > price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

> Charcoal is hotter, which is what you need if you want to grill
> a 1.5" steak "char rare". You can't do that on a gas grill, unless it
> has an infrared burner. I have a Weber Silver Genesis B and a Weber
> Performer side by side, and I use the latter 75% of the time, to char
> the steak. I think for larger roasts, like turkey and standing rib, the
> charcoal
> grill is much better than gas, when you grill indirectly and add wood.
> However as I am hitting the geezer phase if life, and grilling more chicken
> and fish, and getting lazy, I use the gas more and more. However when I want
> wood
> flavor, I always use the charcoal grill.
>
> Good Luck in you quest,
>
> Kent, with humility, always struggling with my level of ignorance in all
> matters,- Hide quoted text -

Curious on your weber performer.. do you have the newer model which
uses disposable tanks of propane? If so.. did you find a way to rig
those or use regular refillable propane tanks with the new weber
model?

Or is it even worth the fuss to try to convert the unit to be able to
refill the propane.. ie: I think a new bottle is only around $3 and
should last 12-24 starts?

Cheers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 May 2007 00:22:06 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, Kent wrote:

>"markm75" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>>I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
>> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...
>>
>> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
>> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...
>>
>> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
>> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
>> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
>> on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..
>>
>> So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
>> bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...
>>
>> Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
>> can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
>> closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?
>>
>> I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
>> mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...
>>
>> Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
>> price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...
>>

>Charcoal is hotter, which is what you need if you want to grill
>a 1.5" steak "char rare". You can't do that on a gas grill, unless it
>has an infrared burner. I have a Weber Silver Genesis B and a Weber
>Performer side by side, and I use the latter 75% of the time, to char
>the steak. I think for larger roasts, like turkey and standing rib, the
>charcoal
>grill is much better than gas, when you grill indirectly and add wood.
>However as I am hitting the geezer phase if life, and grilling more chicken
>and fish, and getting lazy, I use the gas more and more. However when I want
>wood
>flavor, I always use the charcoal grill.

I used my Weber Baby Q for the first time today. Easy to use, and it gets
pretty hot, hot enough for 'char rare'.

It doesn't have lava rocks, etc, but it does have the flavour, and I just
read 21 pages of reviews where people agreed.

http://tinyurl.com/23uac3

What I wish is that it had a tray for wood chips. I'm wondering if I could
just soak some and then put them in aluminum foil on the grill.

It also isn't good for slow cooking, ie for 'real' barbecue', due to its
side vents.

But for steaks, burgers, etc. it seems great. I used it for lunch and
dinner, and I wouldn't have done that if I had to start a charcoal fire
each time.
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 4:08�pm, Doug Weller >
wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2007 00:22:06 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, Kent wrote:
>
> >"markm75" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >>I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
> >> wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

> >> I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
> >> things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

> >> But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
> >> use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
> >> the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
> >> on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

> >> So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
> >> bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...

> >> Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
> >> can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
> >> closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?

> >> I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
> >> mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...

> >> Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
> >> price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

> >Charcoal is hotter, which is what you need if you want to grill
> >a 1.5" steak "char rare". *You can't do that on a gas grill, unless it
> >has an infrared burner. I have a Weber Silver Genesis B and a Weber
> >Performer side by side, and I use the latter 75% of the time, to char
> >the steak. I think for larger roasts, like turkey and standing rib, the
> >charcoal
> >grill is much better than gas, when you grill indirectly and add wood.
> >However as I am hitting the geezer phase if life, and grilling more chicken
> >and fish, and getting lazy, I use the gas more and more. However when I want
> >wood
> >flavor, I always use the charcoal grill.

> I used my Weber Baby Q for the first time today. *Easy to use, and it gets
> pretty hot, hot enough for 'char rare'.
>
> It doesn't have lava rocks, etc, but it does have the flavour, and I just
> read 21 pages of reviews where people agreed.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/23uac3
>
> What I wish is that it had a tray for wood chips. I'm wondering if I could
> just soak some and then put them in aluminum foil on the grill.

Tuna can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"markm75" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 11, 3:22 am, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "markm75" > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...
>>

>> >I know this has been discussed to death in other parts.. but I'm
>> > wondering if this status has changed much in recent days...

>> > I'm still assuming I'll get the best flavor (charcoal flavor) with
>> > things like burgers and hot dogs on a purely charcoal grill...

>> > But now there are things like charcoal flavored devices that you can
>> > use on a gas grill (sorry I dont know much about these).. I've read
>> > the lava rocks arent always so great (they work from the fat dripping
>> > on them then the scent rising up through the food?)..

>> > So i'm faced with the decision of going gas or charcoal and getting a
>> > bigger (higher up vertically) type grill...

>> > Gas is clearly cheaper to use and faster to get going and less fuss,
>> > can i use any types of these flavor devices to at least come somewhat
>> > closer to the nice taste of a charcoal grill?

>> > I've also heard good things about cooking steaks on a gas grill using
>> > mesquite marinades and flavor bars etc...

>> > Either way i've seen decent size charcoal and gas grills for the same
>> > price, currently about $150 for the size/type i want...

>> Charcoal is hotter, which is what you need if you want to grill
>> a 1.5" steak "char rare". You can't do that on a gas grill, unless it
>> has an infrared burner. I have a Weber Silver Genesis B and a Weber
>> Performer side by side, and I use the latter 75% of the time, to char
>> the steak. I think for larger roasts, like turkey and standing rib, the
>> charcoal
>> grill is much better than gas, when you grill indirectly and add wood.
>> However as I am hitting the geezer phase if life, and grilling more
>> chicken
>> and fish, and getting lazy, I use the gas more and more. However when I
>> want
>> wood
>> flavor, I always use the charcoal grill.
>>
>> Good Luck in you quest,
>>
>> Kent, with humility, always struggling with my level of ignorance in all
>> matters,- Hide quoted text -

> Curious on your weber performer.. do you have the newer model which
> uses disposable tanks of propane? If so.. did you find a way to rig
> those or use regular refillable propane tanks with the new weber
> model?
>
> Or is it even worth the fuss to try to convert the unit to be able to
> refill the propane.. ie: I think a new bottle is only around $3 and
> should last 12-24 starts?
>
> Cheers

I have the older model with the 5lb refilleable tank, attached to the grill,
a plus, because you can move the grill around. In another group, a poster
pointed
out that Weber makes a hose that couples their smaller grills that use
disposable
propane cartridges to a 20lb tank.
http://www.webergrillschicago.com/do...pter_hose.html
The product info does't say this will couple with the Performer, though I'm
guessing it
would. Also, since it's not attached to the grill, it would be more
difficult to move the
grill around if you do that at all.

Good Luck,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 9:48 am, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> "Buddy" <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:
> > I would recommend never using charcoal lighter fluid or one-match types as you
> > have to burn off the hydro-carbons first and the fluid can be dangerous when
> > mixed with alcohol (in the griller, not the grill.) So, I recommend using the
> > tool that looks like a bit of stovepipe to get the charcoal started. A sheet
> > of newspaper wadded in the bottom sets it off and your ready to grill in 20
> > minutes.

> And those charcoal chimneys are not without some risks also. I knew a guy that
> got his arm severely burned when using one. I wouldn't doubt that alcohol was
> involved (in the griller). Those chimneys can get red hot during use. It's not
> so obvious in daylight, but at night it can be pretty noticeable. If you let it
> go too long, it will be obvious in broad daylight too.
>
> In spite of the risks, I use one too. The image of that guy's arm is permanently
> imprinted in my memory, so I am very careful.

An electric charcoal starter is also perfectly fine, and doesn't pose
as much danger to drunken persons.

> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote:
> An electric charcoal starter is also perfectly fine, and doesn't pose
> as much danger to drunken persons.

True, but you need a place to plug it in! ;-)

I don't have any outdoor outlets, and I don't feel like dragging out a heavy
duty extension cord.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 4:34 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "markm75" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On May 11, 3:22 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> >> "markm75" > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> >> Charcoal is hotter, which is what you need if you want to grill
> >> a 1.5" steak "char rare". You can't do that on a gas grill, unless it
> >> has an infrared burner. I have a Weber Silver Genesis B and a Weber
> >> Performer side by side, and I use the latter 75% of the time, to char
> >> the steak. I think for larger roasts, like turkey and standing rib, the
> >> charcoal
> >> grill is much better than gas, when you grill indirectly and add wood.
> >> However as I am hitting the geezer phase if life, and grilling more
> >> chicken
> >> and fish, and getting lazy, I use the gas more and more. However when I
> >> want
> >> wood
> >> flavor, I always use the charcoal grill.

> >> Good Luck in you quest,

> >> Kent, with humility, always struggling with my level of ignorance in all
> >> matters,- Hide quoted text -

> > Curious on your weber performer.. do you have the newer model which
> > uses disposable tanks of propane? If so.. did you find a way to rig
> > those or use regular refillable propane tanks with the new weber
> > model?

> > Or is it even worth the fuss to try to convert the unit to be able to
> > refill the propane.. ie: I think a new bottle is only around $3 and
> > should last 12-24 starts?

> > Cheers

> I have the older model with the 5lb refilleable tank, attached to the grill,
> a plus, because you can move the grill around. In another group, a poster
> pointed
> out that Weber makes a hose that couples their smaller grills that use
> disposable
> propane cartridges to a 20lb tank.http://www.webergrillschicago.com/do...pter_hose.html
> The product info does't say this will couple with the Performer, though I'm
> guessing it
> would. Also, since it's not attached to the grill, it would be more
> difficult to move the
> grill around if you do that at all.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the link.. I'll have to do some checking and see if it will
work on the performer.

So when you use the refillable tanks.. do you just take them to a gas
station that has propane and fill em back up there? Whats the typical
cost?

Also.. where does everyone buy their lump style charcoal at? I only
seem to see briquettes in the stores...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"markm75" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the link.. I'll have to do some checking and see if it will
> work on the performer.

Click here, too:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=5600

I'd bet that it will fit. My Coleman "Hot Water On DemandT" is made to run
on those same disposable tanks and this adaptor lets me operate it from a 20
# tank.

> So when you use the refillable tanks.. do you just take them to a gas
> station that has propane and fill em back up there?

Yes, or BJ's or U-Haul, etc.

> Also.. where does everyone buy their lump style charcoal at? I only
> seem to see briquettes in the stores...

It's getting harder all the time. True Value Hardware has Royal Oak in
their catelog. You might have to order several @ a time,though. For what
it's worth, the Sam's 60 % Larger Chatcoal Briquetts aren't all that bad, no
fillers and very little ash compared to other briquetts. That is, if you
can't find lump.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 9:54 pm, " BOB" > wrote:
> "markm75" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for the link.. I'll have to do some checking and see if it will
> > work on the performer.

> Click here, too:http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...oduct_id=5470A...
>
> I'd bet that it will fit. My Coleman "Hot Water On DemandT" is made to run
> on those same disposable tanks and this adaptor lets me operate it from a 20
> # tank.
>

> > So when you use the refillable tanks.. do you just take them to a gas
> > station that has propane and fill em back up there?

> Yes, or BJ's or U-Haul, etc.
>
> > Also.. where does everyone buy their lump style charcoal at? I only
> > seem to see briquettes in the stores...

> It's getting harder all the time. True Value Hardware has Royal Oak in
> their catelog. You might have to order several @ a time,though. For what
> it's worth, the Sam's 60 % Larger Chatcoal Briquetts aren't all that bad, no
> fillers and very little ash compared to other briquetts. That is, if you
> can't find lump.
>
> BOB

thanks for that tidbid.. ill check my true value shop.. By Sam's.. do
you mean Sams club or is this another brand?

Cheers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote:
> "markm75" > wrote in message
>> So when you use the refillable tanks.. do you just take them to a gas
>> station that has propane and fill em back up there?

> Yes, or BJ's or U-Haul, etc.

Around some areas, places that refill propane tanks are getting few and far
between. It seems like tank exchanges are becoming the norm now around here.
There's even a company that delivers full propane tanks right to your house,
hooks it up, and takes the empties back. For a price, of course.

Here's a link to their web site (the page that plays their catchy radio
commercial):

http://www.propanetaxi.com/propane_e...howitworks.cfm

I wonder what propane goes for these days. It's been about 10 years since the
last time I got it, and I presume it has gone up similar to gasoline. I seem to
recall the exchange price was $10 back then. I got mine refilled rather than
exchanged, but I don't remember what the price (per pound?) was at the time.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote

> I wonder what propane goes for these days. It's been about 10 years since
> the last time I got it, and I presume it has gone up similar to gasoline.
> I seem to recall the exchange price was $10 back then. I got mine refilled
> rather than exchanged, but I don't remember what the price (per pound?)
> was at the time.

I had mine filled just yesterday, it was $13.50. Places have been
disappearing, as you say. The place I went to is really the only place
I can think of right now, where they fill your tank.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 11:43�pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "wff_ng_7" > wrote
>
> > I wonder what propane goes for these days. It's been about 10 years since
> > the last time I got it, and I presume it has gone up similar to gasoline.
> > I seem to recall the exchange price was $10 back then. I got mine refilled
> > rather than exchanged, but I don't remember what the price (per pound?)
> > was at the time.

> I had mine filled just yesterday, it was $13.50. *Places have been
> disappearing, as you say. *The place I went to is really the only place
> I can think of right now, where they fill your tank.

Soon all propane tanks will be an exchange. An exchange is safer in
many ways; no minimum wage kid refilling tanks who doesn't bother
doing a proper test to check for leaks and to ascertain if it's a
properly fitted tank that meets the latest specs. They probably
charge an extra buck to cover the cost of removing defective tanks
from service and making replacements. The one safety issue that will
be difficult to enforce is when folks place the tank in their car
trunk (illegal), and then ride around all day doing errands with the
tank in their car (illegal). If you ever get stopped and are asked to
produce the receipt you had better have it and best be directly on
your way home from the address on the receipt. In most municipalities
there's a pretty stiff fine for riding around with a propane tank in a
vehicle... in NYC if you get caught on a bridge or in a tunnel with a
propane tank in a vehicle you're going to prison.

I think it won't be too much longer and everyone with an outdoor gas
grill will need to obtain a service contract with their local propane
company for a cylinder account... there won't be anymore refillable
tanks for grills... there are just too many disasterous accidents...
the most common is people burning down their house because they place
their grill on their deck. A propane company will place their
cylinders in such a way that the grill can't be placed on the deck...
they even eliminate the rubber gas hose by connectijng the grill
directly to copper tubing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"markm75" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 12, 4:34 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "markm75" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> oups.com...

>> > Curious on your weber performer.. do you have the newer model which
>> > uses disposable tanks of propane? If so.. did you find a way to rig
>> > those or use regular refillable propane tanks with the new weber
>> > model?

>> > Or is it even worth the fuss to try to convert the unit to be able to
>> > refill the propane.. ie: I think a new bottle is only around $3 and
>> > should last 12-24 starts?

>> > Cheers

>> I have the older model with the 5lb refilleable tank, attached to the
>> grill,
>> a plus, because you can move the grill around. In another group, a
>> poster
>> pointed
>> out that Weber makes a hose that couples their smaller grills that use
>> disposable
>> propane cartridges to a 20lb
>> tank.http://www.webergrillschicago.com/do...pter_hose.html
>> The product info does't say this will couple with the Performer, though
>> I'm
>> guessing it
>> would. Also, since it's not attached to the grill, it would be more
>> difficult to move the
>> grill around if you do that at all.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Kent- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the link.. I'll have to do some checking and see if it will
> work on the performer.
>
> So when you use the refillable tanks.. do you just take them to a gas
> station that has propane and fill em back up there? Whats the typical
> cost?
>
> Also.. where does everyone buy their lump style charcoal at? I only
> seem to see briquettes in the stores...

Some propane dealers are thieves, and have flat or minimum price to fill
any size tank. I always fill one of my 20lb's and my 5lb side by side so
I'm paying the ongoing rate/lb of propane. I've seen the 5lb tanks recently
in hardwre stores,
so that would be an option with the hose above, if that works,
Good Luck,

Kent
Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"markm75" wrote
> > It's getting harder all the time. True Value Hardware has Royal
> > Oak in
> > their catelog. You might have to order several @ a time,though.
> > For what
> > it's worth, the Sam's 60 % Larger Chatcoal Briquetts aren't all
> > that bad, no
> > fillers and very little ash compared to other briquetts. That is,
> > if you
> > can't find lump.
> >
> > BOB

> thanks for that tidbid.. ill check my true value shop..

If they don't have it, ask them to look in their catelogue

> By Sam's.. do
> you mean Sams club or is this another brand?

That's the right "Sam" but the wrong store. It's in Wal-Mart. This year,
they just changed to a black bag and added a "match-light" version. You
want the black bag. Stay away from the match-light. I'm hoping that they
haven't screwed up the charcoal by changing the formula and adding more
fillers. I'll have to check next time I see a bag.

> Cheers

BOB