NoOne

Default How many lava rocks should I put?

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how many lava rocks should I put on my gas barbeque? I
read somewere that part of the fat that is dripping on the lava rocks should
go through, and just part of it evaporate. But because now I have very thick
layer of lava rocks, all fat is evaporating or even worse - I have a lot of
flair-ups.
Should there be just one layer of lava rocks, one layer with a lot of spaces
in between or as I have now - two-three laywer without any spaces in
between.

Thanks for your help

Nathan Lau

NoOne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone tell me how many lava rocks should I put on my gas barbeque? I
> read somewere that part of the fat that is dripping on the lava rocks should
> go through, and just part of it evaporate. But because now I have very thick
> layer of lava rocks, all fat is evaporating or even worse - I have a lot of
> flair-ups.
> Should there be just one layer of lava rocks, one layer with a lot of spaces
> in between or as I have now - two-three laywer without any spaces in
> between.

Ditch the lava rocks - they just absorb the grease and cause major
flare-ups. Then you get gross black soot all over your food.

Better yet, ditch the gasser. Gas grilling seems more convenient, but
you'll get better flavor from a charcoal kettle.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
notbob

On 2004-03-23, NoOne > wrote:

> Should there be just one layer of lava rocks, one layer with a lot of spaces
> in between or as I have now - two-three laywer without any spaces in
> between.

Depends on what you want. If you want to grill steaks and such and your
burner puts out good heat, you can use less rocks. But, if you can't get
the temps up for searing, add more rocks. The rocks act like a heat sink and
bring more heat up to the grill. You may have some flare ups, but that
comes with the territory. Now, if you just want to slow smoke Q, you can do
without more rocks and just keep the burner on low.

nb
BKahuna

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:19:46 -0500, "NoOne" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Could anyone tell me how many lava rocks should I put on my gas barbeque?

None. How many do you put under your broiler in the kitchen? They
are essentially the same appliance.

This newsgroup is not called alt.food.broilerque!

_______________________________________

p.s. Before the Pope banishes me again, I'm just funnin' ya'.
Mark Shaw

In article >,
"NoOne" > wrote:

>Could anyone tell me how many lava rocks should I put on my gas barbeque?

The little concrete pyramids work better, in my opinion. Just a
single layer over the grating.

If you're stuck with lava rocks, use just enough to cover the
grating. Don't worry too much about any gaps as long as they're
small, few and far between.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"The British left intermittently erupts like a pustule upon the buttock

BBQ without Charcoal or Lava Rocks? Mikie[_3_] Barbecue 5 28-08-2009 09:41 PM
Lava Rocks Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:55 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc? markm75 General Cooking 31 14-05-2007 05:11 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal (and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc)? markm75 Barbecue 11 12-05-2007 06:15 PM
Lava rocks history? scribe Barbecue 11 04-05-2006 08:17 PM