Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ without Charcoal or Lava Rocks?

Just started in BBQ grilling.

Bought standard 2 burner, 26,500 BTU THERMOS BRAND, BBQ grill
from Target Stores, $99., made by Charbroil.

Took forever to put it together, (newbie).

Then I find that Lava Rock is not allowed or it voids the warranty.
Did I just pay 100 bucks for a propane camp stove? I wanted a
standard BBQ grill!!!!! What is this nonsense...no Lava Rocks??.

Don't want to take it all apart and repackage it and return it!
Anybody help me on how I can retro fit this for use with Lava Rock
Briquettes? Heck with the warranty...I have no choice, I guess. OR,
convince me that I don't need the Lava Rocks ??? Will I get that nice
smokey BBQ taste?

Help please?
m p p g 1 a t m s n . c o m

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"Mikie" > wrote in message
> Just started in BBQ grilling.
>
> Bought standard 2 burner, 26,500 BTU THERMOS BRAND, BBQ grill
> from Target Stores, $99., made by Charbroil.
>
> Took forever to put it together, (newbie).
>
> Then I find that Lava Rock is not allowed or it voids the warranty.
> Did I just pay 100 bucks for a propane camp stove? I wanted a
> standard BBQ grill!!!!! What is this nonsense...no Lava Rocks??.
>
> Don't want to take it all apart and repackage it and return it!
> Anybody help me on how I can retro fit this for use with Lava Rock
> Briquettes? Heck with the warranty...I have no choice, I guess. OR,
> convince me that I don't need the Lava Rocks ??? Will I get that nice
> smokey BBQ taste?

I retrofitted a gas grill a few years ago to use rocks. Buy or fashion a
grate to fit or sit on your burner covers\tents that you can put rocks on. I
had an old grate that I cut to size with bolt cutters that wedged into the V
shaped grill housing. Had to leave the "tents" in place to keep the burners
from clogging from residue falling on them. BTW..I now use a Weber Genesis
without rocks that suits me fine.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mikie wrote:

> Just started in BBQ grilling.

Bbq and grilling are two seperate methods of cooking.

> Anybody help me on how I can retro fit this for use with Lava Rock
> Briquettes? Heck with the warranty...I have no choice, I guess. OR,
> convince me that I don't need the Lava Rocks ??? Will I get that nice
> smokey BBQ taste?

Your grill (not bbq grill) probably uses a system that doesn't require rocks
or bricks or whatever. Weber does the same thing with their 'flavorizer
bars'.

The 'nice smokey bbq taste' has nothing to do with bbq or smoke per se. That
taste is the vaporized remnants of burned fat and juices taht have been
deposited on the surface of the grilled meat product. I will bet that the
'smokey' taste is still there.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:59:04 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Mikie wrote:
>
>> Just started in BBQ grilling.

>Bbq and grilling are two seperate methods of cooking.
>
>> Anybody help me on how I can retro fit this for use with Lava Rock
>> Briquettes? Heck with the warranty...I have no choice, I guess. OR,
>> convince me that I don't need the Lava Rocks ??? Will I get that nice
>> smokey BBQ taste?

>Your grill (not bbq grill) probably uses a system that doesn't require rocks
>or bricks or whatever. Weber does the same thing with their 'flavorizer
>bars'.
>
>The 'nice smokey bbq taste' has nothing to do with bbq or smoke per se. That
>taste is the vaporized remnants of burned fat and juices taht have been
>deposited on the surface of the grilled meat product. I will bet that the
>'smokey' taste is still there.

Well, kinda. It's more of a meaty taste, IMO, and not really a smoky
taste.

Tastes nothing like the results of charcoal grilling, or even charcoal
grilling with wood added for flavoring.

But yeah, it still tastes good. ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 8:28*am, "tom" > wrote:
> "Mikie" > wrote in message

> > Just started in BBQ grilling.

> > *Bought standard *2 burner, 26,500 *BTU *THERMOS BRAND, *BBQ grill
> > from Target Stores, $99., made by Charbroil.

> > Took forever to put it together, (newbie).

> > Then I find that * Lava Rock is not allowed or it voids the warranty.
> > Did I just pay 100 bucks for a propane camp stove? *I wanted a
> > standard BBQ grill!!!!! * What is this nonsense...no Lava Rocks??.

> > Don't want to take it all apart and repackage it *and return it!
> > Anybody *help me on how I can retro fit this for use with Lava Rock
> > Briquettes? Heck with the warranty...I have no choice, I guess. *OR,
> > convince me that I don't need the Lava Rocks ??? *Will I get that nice
> > smokey BBQ taste?

> I retrofitted a gas grill a few years ago to use rocks. Buy or fashion a
> grate to fit or sit on your burner covers\tents that you can put rocks on.. I
> had an old grate that I cut to size with bolt cutters that wedged into the V
> shaped grill housing. Had to leave the "tents" in place to keep the burners
> from clogging from residue falling on them. BTW..I now use a Weber Genesis
> without rocks that suits me fine.- Hide quoted text -

Thanx Tom, you made my day! From Lowes I bough two sheets of
stainless, with small holes in them about12 x17.... Called "reusable",
something or other, they're out in the car. Easy to form a basket for
lava rocks. Hope it lasts....As to the tent, the holes in my burner
are UNDER the burner, but around the outer edges...I doubt much goop
will settle..except on top of the burner, which is cleanable and hot
enought to perhaps burn away while cooking. We shall see. If
problem, I guess I can find a way to solve it. Wish me luck!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 22, 10:10*am, Mikie > wrote:
> Just started in BBQ grilling.
>
> * Bought standard *2 burner, 26,500 *BTU *THERMOS BRAND, *BBQ grill
> from Target Stores, $99., made by Charbroil.
>
> Took forever to put it together, (newbie).
>
> Then I find that * Lava Rock is not allowed or it voids the warranty.
> Did I just pay 100 bucks for a propane camp stove? *I wanted a
> standard BBQ grill!!!!! * What is this nonsense...no Lava Rocks??.
>
> Don't want to take it all apart and repackage it *and return it!
> Anybody *help me on how I can retro fit this for use with Lava Rock
> Briquettes? Heck with the warranty...I have no choice, I guess. *OR,
> convince me that I don't need the Lava Rocks ??? *Will I get that nice
> smokey BBQ taste?
>
> Help please?
> m p p g 1 * *a t * m s n . c o m

Before you fill it up with rocks try running it the way the
manufacturer designed it to work. There is nothing 'normal' or
'natural' about cooking over rocks. I have a Vermont Castings grill
that does a great job with stainless steel flavorizers.

Cam

Lava Rocks Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:55 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc? markm75 General Cooking 31 14-05-2007 05:11 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal (and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc)? markm75 Barbecue 11 12-05-2007 06:15 PM
Lava rocks history? scribe Barbecue 11 04-05-2006 08:17 PM
How many lava rocks should I put? NoOne Barbecue 4 23-03-2004 11:51 PM