Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lava rocks history?

We've been shopping to replace our old Fiesta barbecue, and find that
every new model we've seen does not come with -- and appears to be
designed to work without -- those lava rocks that used to be standard
in these things.

What's going on? Has barbecuing changed? Are new barbecues no longer
equipped with those flavor-absorbing things? Are lava rocks now
obsolete?

What's the best barbecue on the (Canadian) market now?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"scribe" > wrote in message
> We've been shopping to replace our old Fiesta barbecue, and find that
> every new model we've seen does not come with -- and appears to be
> designed to work without -- those lava rocks that used to be standard
> in these things.
>
> What's going on? Has barbecuing changed? Are new barbecues no longer
> equipped with those flavor-absorbing things? Are lava rocks now
> obsolete?
>
> What's the best barbecue on the (Canadian) market now?

Turns out, lava rock is not needed. There was a shift to a ceramic square
thing that worked, then Weber started using what they call "flavorizer bars"
over the burners. I don't know how they stand cost wise, but they are more
controllable and consistent than rocks.

The one big problem with lava rocks is the absorption of grease. It would
build up and after a couple of uses, you'd have a great big grease fire.
The metal eliminates most of that. To perform properly, the rocks had to be
pre-heated quite a bit and most people did not do that.

For good grills, go to http://www.napoleongrills.com/ and
http://www.myownbbq.com/ Both brands offer a lot of features.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Turns out, lava rock is not needed. There was a shift to a ceramic square
> thing that worked, then Weber started using what they call "flavorizer bars"
> over the burners. I don't know how they stand cost wise, but they are more
> controllable and consistent than rocks.
>
> The one big problem with lava rocks is the absorption of grease. It would
> build up and after a couple of uses, you'd have a great big grease fire.
> The metal eliminates most of that. To perform properly, the rocks had to be
> pre-heated quite a bit and most people did not do that.
>
> For good grills, go to http://www.napoleongrills.com/ and
> http://www.myownbbq.com/ Both brands offer a lot of features.

Agreed, the only flare up I've had with the flavorizer bars
was before I wised up and bought a separate unit for q'ing
and was doing ribs on the grill. Not the best idea in the
world. After I'd done a few racks of ribs I fired that
sucker up to sear some steaks.... it wasn't pretty. ;-)

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Apr-2006, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "scribe" > wrote in message
> > We've been shopping to replace our old Fiesta barbecue, and find that
> > every new model we've seen does not come with -- and appears to be
> > designed to work without -- those lava rocks that used to be standard
> > in these things.
> >
> > What's going on? Has barbecuing changed? Are new barbecues no longer
> > equipped with those flavor-absorbing things? Are lava rocks now
> > obsolete?
> >
> > What's the best barbecue on the (Canadian) market now?

> Turns out, lava rock is not needed. There was a shift to a ceramic square
>
> thing that worked, then Weber started using what they call "flavorizer
> bars"
> over the burners. I don't know how they stand cost wise, but they are
> more
> controllable and consistent than rocks.
>
> The one big problem with lava rocks is the absorption of grease. It would
>
> build up and after a couple of uses, you'd have a great big grease fire.
> The metal eliminates most of that. To perform properly, the rocks had to
> be
> pre-heated quite a bit and most people did not do that.

Thanks for that Ed. I wanted to post something like that, but couldn't
put it into proper words. But, not only do lava rocks absorb grease,
they deteriorate fairly rapidly and have to be replaced. One has to
consider though, that some poeple actually like the taste of flaring
up grease on their meat. Go figure.

--
Brick(Tired of paddling...Shopping for a motor)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
.. .

they deteriorate fairly rapidly and have to be replaced. One has to
> consider though, that some poeple actually like the taste of flaring
> up grease on their meat. Go figure.

Yeah, some think that's the smell of 'Q. Hell, I used to too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:
> > wrote in message
> .. .
>
> they deteriorate fairly rapidly and have to be replaced. One has to
>
>>consider though, that some poeple actually like the taste of flaring
>>up grease on their meat. Go figure.
>>

> Yeah, some think that's the smell of 'Q.

Well, that or the scent of burning lighter fluid.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. See? That's what happens when
you have a barbecue for about 10 years and don't keep current wih
developments in the ever-advancing science of grillology.

I bought a new basic Fiesta unit on the weekend (basic=no useless and
unneeded side-burner) for $200 at Home Depot in Toronto and, Wonder
Upon Wonders! They sold me a floor model, already assembled (without
charging the usual assembly fee), and I just rolled it out of the
store, jammed it into my van, took it home and had the wife fire up
some steaks. Elapsed time from store visit to mastication: About one
hour.

Now that's what I call a satisfactory transaction.

Thanks for the info.

Happy Q-ing.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"scribe" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. See? That's what happens when
> you have a barbecue for about 10 years and don't keep current wih
> developments in the ever-advancing science of grillology.
>
> I bought a new basic Fiesta unit on the weekend (basic=no useless and
> unneeded side-burner) for $200 at Home Depot in Toronto and, Wonder
> Upon Wonders! They sold me a floor model, already assembled (without
> charging the usual assembly fee), and I just rolled it out of the
> store, jammed it into my van, took it home and had the wife fire up
> some steaks. Elapsed time from store visit to mastication: About one
> hour.

Ummm - you had the WIFE fire up some steaks? While firin' up the gasser
ain't what folks around here would call barbecue, it's rewarding enough.
However, that there's definitely mans work. I'm just not sure I can wrap my
head around having the wife operate the gas grill - much less something like
the WSM.

Somethin just not right there.....

- Bo

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"scribe" > wrote in message
> Elapsed time from store visit to mastication: About one
> hour.
>
> Now that's what I call a satisfactory transaction.

Mastication is very satisfying, as long as you stop before you go blind. I
just wear glasses

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:59:28 GMT, "Bo Hica" >
wrote:

>"scribe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. See? That's what happens when
>> you have a barbecue for about 10 years and don't keep current wih
>> developments in the ever-advancing science of grillology.
>>
>> I bought a new basic Fiesta unit on the weekend (basic=no useless and
>> unneeded side-burner) for $200 at Home Depot in Toronto and, Wonder
>> Upon Wonders! They sold me a floor model, already assembled (without
>> charging the usual assembly fee), and I just rolled it out of the
>> store, jammed it into my van, took it home and had the wife fire up
>> some steaks. Elapsed time from store visit to mastication: About one
>> hour.
>>

>Ummm - you had the WIFE fire up some steaks? While firin' up the gasser
>ain't what folks around here would call barbecue, it's rewarding enough.
>However, that there's definitely mans work. I'm just not sure I can wrap my
>head around having the wife operate the gas grill - much less something like
>the WSM.
>
>Somethin just not right there.....

Your archaic patronizing attitude toward women?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>"scribe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. See? That's what happens when
>> you have a barbecue for about 10 years and don't keep current wih
>> developments in the ever-advancing science of grillology.
>>
>> I bought a new basic Fiesta unit on the weekend (basic=no useless and
>> unneeded side-burner) for $200 at Home Depot in Toronto and, Wonder
>> Upon Wonders! They sold me a floor model, already assembled (without
>> charging the usual assembly fee), and I just rolled it out of the
>> store, jammed it into my van, took it home and had the wife fire up
>> some steaks. Elapsed time from store visit to mastication: About one
>> hour.
>>

>Ummm - you had the WIFE fire up some steaks? While firin' up the gasser
>ain't what folks around here would call barbecue, it's rewarding enough.
>However, that there's definitely mans work. I'm just not sure I can wrap my
>head around having the wife operate the gas grill - much less something like
>the WSM.
>
>Somethin just not right there.....
>
>- Bo

My wife was pretty handy operating our gasser 20 years ago, but our
standards and cooker have evolved over the years. She still uses our
little K [she mostly grills], but needs for me to get it fired up and
stabilized.

The teenage daughter next door grills herself a couple of burgers &
buns almost every afternoon before going off to work. They have a
gasser, but she still produces a very nice looking sandwich.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 02 May 2006 00:08:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

==>
==>"scribe" > wrote in message
==>> Elapsed time from store visit to mastication: About one
==>> hour.
==>> Now that's what I call a satisfactory transaction.

==>Mastication is very satisfying, as long as you stop before you go blind. I
==>just wear glasses

Frequent mastication has given me hairy palms,
which is why I wear asbestos gloves before I use
my grill.

BBQ without Charcoal or Lava Rocks? Mikie[_3_] Barbecue 5 28-08-2009 09:41 PM
Lava Rocks Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:55 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc? markm75 General Cooking 31 14-05-2007 05:11 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal (and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc)? markm75 Barbecue 11 12-05-2007 06:15 PM
How many lava rocks should I put? NoOne Barbecue 4 23-03-2004 11:51 PM