Mick

Default Wood Chips

When I cooked my chicken last weekend (it was delicious) it had a only a
slight smoke flavor. I'd like to see a little more. I used oak and hickory
wood chips - the only thing available to me right now. I added a few
handfuls of soaked chips a few times during the process - totaling about a
quart. They burst with smoke right away & died out after a short time.
Would I be better off with a single load of chips wrapped in foil?

Jack Curry

Mick wrote:
> When I cooked my chicken last weekend (it was delicious) it had a
> only a slight smoke flavor. I'd like to see a little more. I used
> oak and hickory wood chips - the only thing available to me right
> now. I added a few handfuls of soaked chips a few times during the
> process - totaling about a quart. They burst with smoke right away &
> died out after a short time. Would I be better off with a single load
> of chips wrapped in foil?

Yes. Double wrap with heavy duty foil and punch a few pinholes through it.

Jack Curry

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:37:07 -0500, "Mick"
> wrote:

>When I cooked my chicken last weekend (it was delicious) it had a only a
>slight smoke flavor. I'd like to see a little more. I used oak and hickory
>wood chips - the only thing available to me right now. I added a few
>handfuls of soaked chips a few times during the process - totaling about a
>quart. They burst with smoke right away & died out after a short time.
>Would I be better off with a single load of chips wrapped in foil?

Probably. That's what others here have reported. Try soaking the chips
beforehand.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
BOB

Jack Curry wrote:
> Mick wrote:
>> When I cooked my chicken last weekend (it was delicious) it had a
>> only a slight smoke flavor. I'd like to see a little more. I used
>> oak and hickory wood chips - the only thing available to me right
>> now. I added a few handfuls of soaked chips a few times during the
>> process - totaling about a quart. They burst with smoke right away &
>> died out after a short time. Would I be better off with a single load
>> of chips wrapped in foil?

> Yes. Double wrap with heavy duty foil and punch a few pinholes through it.
>
> Jack Curry

Also, forget soaking. Next time, get *chunks* instead of *chips*
Most of the Home Despot, Blowes, Mal-Wart type stores will have both, but not
necessarily in separate stacks/piles.

BOB
news"service" must be missing posts again

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Mick"
> wrote:

> When I cooked my chicken last weekend (it was delicious) it had a only a
> slight smoke flavor. I'd like to see a little more. I used oak and hickory
> wood chips - the only thing available to me right now. I added a few
> handfuls of soaked chips a few times during the process - totaling about a
> quart. They burst with smoke right away & died out after a short time.
> Would I be better off with a single load of chips wrapped in foil?

Get chunks instead of chips.
Forget about soaking.
Wrap the chunks in foil so they won't flame.
I used soaked chips for years - too many years for that matter-
and once I switched to wrapped chunks, I get as much smoke as I want
and longer duration between additions of smoke wood.
When those chips flare up, you are gonna get a temperature spike to go
with the flames. The foil doesn't allow the wood to flame up.

monroe(try it you'll like it)

Steve Wertz

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:07:18 GMT, "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry
deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>Yes. Double wrap with heavy duty foil and punch a few pinholes through it.

I have never had luck with the foil pouch of chips. Either it
doesn't get hot enough to produce smoke, or the foil burns, along
with everthing inside it.

I just use chunks. Screw the chips.

-sw
Mick

Thanks for all the quick responses! The consensus is: chunks, not chips.
Unfortunately it is not the season for BBQ'n around here - temps won't be
above freezing for a couple of months. Home Depot & others do not sell
chunks during the winter so I have to use what's available. I'll try the
foil method.

Can anyone recommend a decent priced (w/ shipping) supplier of chunks?

Thanks again!

Mick > wrote in message
> When I cooked my chicken last weekend (it was delicious) it had a only a
> slight smoke flavor. I'd like to see a little more. I used oak and

hickory
> wood chips - the only thing available to me right now. I added a few
> handfuls of soaked chips a few times during the process - totaling about a
> quart. They burst with smoke right away & died out after a short time.
> Would I be better off with a single load of chips wrapped in foil?

Nathan Lau

Mick wrote:

> Thanks for all the quick responses! The consensus is: chunks, not chips.
> Unfortunately it is not the season for BBQ'n around here - temps won't be
> above freezing for a couple of months. Home Depot & others do not sell
> chunks during the winter so I have to use what's available. I'll try the
> foil method.

Whaddya mean it's not BBQ season? Properly prepared, a WSM will chug
right along in sub freezing weather.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

I thought I saw a bag of hickory chunks at my local Wal*Mart recently.
You might wanna look carefully around the grilling/charcoal section.
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
AG

> I thought I saw a bag of hickory chunks at my local Wal*Mart recently.

Same he For the past three years WalMart has put out the chucks within
two weeks after Christmas. They even got the Lump coal out this year.

ag

Oncler

AG wrote:
>> I thought I saw a bag of hickory chunks at my local Wal*Mart
>> recently.

Just got a 25 lb. bag of Hickory chunks at Home Depot ........ here in
Northern New England !!

Bill

In article > ,
says...
<snip>

> Whaddya mean it's not BBQ season? Properly prepared, a WSM will chug
> right along in sub freezing weather.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

<snip>

Do you < or any one else > have any experience with the Silver Bullet
Smoker Jacket? I'm wondering if there's any venting at the top.

Bill
TomD

Hi Mick,

Fireplace wood that can be identified as to wood type can be cut/split
into chunks. Barring that, local wood dealers may be interested in
selling a small pile.

Hope This Helps,

Tom

"Mick" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the quick responses! The consensus is: chunks, not

chips.
> Unfortunately it is not the season for BBQ'n around here - temps

won't be
> above freezing for a couple of months. Home Depot & others do not

sell
> chunks during the winter so I have to use what's available. I'll

try the
> foil method.
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent priced (w/ shipping) supplier of

chunks?

> Thanks again!
>

> Mick > wrote in message
> > When I cooked my chicken last weekend (it was delicious) it had a

only a
> > slight smoke flavor. I'd like to see a little more. I used oak

and
> hickory
> > wood chips - the only thing available to me right now. I added a

few
> > handfuls of soaked chips a few times during the process - totaling

about a
> > quart. They burst with smoke right away & died out after a short

time.
> > Would I be better off with a single load of chips wrapped in foil?

Nathan Lau

Bill wrote:
> In article > ,
> says...
> <snip>
>
>>Whaddya mean it's not BBQ season? Properly prepared, a WSM will chug
>>right along in sub freezing weather.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

> <snip>
>
> Do you < or any one else > have any experience with the Silver Bullet
> Smoker Jacket? I'm wondering if there's any venting at the top.

According to this post:

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.c...c;f=3;t=000159

there is no top vent. It's designed that way for insulation and no air
movement.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Bill

In article >,
says...
> Bill wrote:
> > In article > ,

says...
> > <snip>
> >
> >>Whaddya mean it's not BBQ season? Properly prepared, a WSM will chug
> >>right along in sub freezing weather.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

> > <snip>
> >
> > Do you < or any one else > have any experience with the Silver Bullet
> > Smoker Jacket? I'm wondering if there's any venting at the top.

> According to this post:
>
> http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.c...c;f=3;t=000159
>
> there is no top vent. It's designed that way for insulation and no air
> movement.

Hmmm... I can imagine what the inside of that cover looks like after a few smoking
sessions. Plus I would think no draft at all would tend to put the fire out in the
smoker.

Thanks for the info though. At the sale price I just may get one and cut a whole in the
top to let the exhaust out and provide access for my thermometer probes.

Bill

Wood Chips for Smoker Graeme Walker Barbecue 7 09-09-2012 07:47 PM
Wood chips on gas Dasco[_2_] Barbecue 7 20-08-2008 12:56 AM
How often to add wood chips? ceed Barbecue 13 02-08-2005 03:46 AM
Looking for wood chips in Houston Tx DJboutit General Cooking 8 12-07-2004 06:00 AM
Tabasco Wood Chips Ch Barbecue 6 21-10-2003 12:06 AM