Old 12-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Ch

Default Tabasco Wood Chips

Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
Tabasco Sauce)
If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
Thanks.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Ch" wrote in message
Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
Tabasco Sauce)
If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
Thanks.

If you can get them for free, tastes great. If you have to pay, it tastes
mighty gimmicky.

Jack

Old 13-10-2003, 04:36 PM
21Twelve

"Ch" wrote in message
Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
Tabasco Sauce)
If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
Thanks.

As Mr. Schidt implied, it's a marketing gimmick...I picked some up cheap on
closeout. I couldn't tell any difference between them and regular oak (I
think they're oak) chips.

David

Old 13-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Jack Curry

Jack Schidt® wrote:
"Ch" wrote in message
Any one try the Tabasco Wood Chips? (From the barrels used to ferment
Tabasco Sauce)
If so, what kind of taste does it impart?
Thanks.

If you can get them for free, tastes great. If you have to pay, it
tastes mighty gimmicky.

Jack

Same as the Jack Daniels wood chips. They smell great unburned, but when
they hit the flames, the bourbon smell is gone in a flash.
Jack Curry

Old 13-10-2003, 09:11 PM
John O

If you can get them for free, tastes great. If you have to pay, it
tastes mighty gimmicky.

Jack

Same as the Jack Daniels wood chips. They smell great unburned, but when
they hit the flames, the bourbon smell is gone in a flash.

I picked up a couple bags at Walmart for $1 each. That's pretty close to
free.

They smell like stale bourbon, that's for sure.

John O

Old 20-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Jason

"21Twelve" wrote in message news:[email protected]
As Mr. Schidt implied, it's a marketing gimmick...I picked some up cheap on
closeout. I couldn't tell any difference between them and regular oak (I
think they're oak) chips.

I concur, sadly and wholeheartedly.

It just makes sense that it would work as described. I mean, this wood
has been in contact with an extremely flavorful and strong substance
for years. Yet, I could tell no difference whatsoever between Tabasco
and regular oak chips.

I guess it also makes sense that the process of burning removes all of
that flavor or those flavors just don't make the "smoke to meat"
transition, too.

Get them, but don't pay any more than regular oak chips for them.
Old 21-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Phil Anderson

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
"21Twelve" wrote in message

news:[email protected]
[...]

Oh, I dunno, I detected a difference. Cain't say as I liked the
difference, since things mostly just tasted 'dirtier,' but I
thought there was a difference.

Wood chips on gas Dasco[_2_] Barbecue 7 20-08-2008 12:56 AM
making wood chips hankus Barbecue 5 11-08-2006 09:41 PM
How often to add wood chips? ceed Barbecue 13 02-08-2005 03:46 AM
Wood chips for smoke? mtbchip Barbecue 7 18-01-2005 10:09 AM
Wood Chips Mick Barbecue 13 01-02-2004 08:13 PM