Michele

Default Help me decide on a gas grill!

I'm buying one for DH. I'm between Wal-Mart's Brinkman PoSeries 2500
($289) and Target's Thermos Stainless Steel (the $299 one) because I
like the look of both and the price point is right. Which is the
better and more reliable choice? Wal-Mart will assemble it for free;
Target won't but has the better warranty.

We use it for the standard backyard cooking (burgers, veggies, fish,
kabobs) so we don't need too many bells and whistles. Durability,
quick heating and ease-of-use are key.

Thanks!
CSS

If you want a gas grill that will last for at least 10 years and cooks well,
you should consider spending a little more and going for the Weber Genesis
Silver B. List is about $525, but you can sometimes find them for less. I
would recommend replacing the stock grates with either cast iron or
porcelain coated cast iron (better searing). Yes, it's more money
initially, but the grill will not wear out after a few years, parts are
easily available if needed, and Weber grills cook well. I've never messed
up a meal in mine. They are so easy to use and cook so well that you'll
find yourself grilling more than you expect once you get one.

I've had my Model 900 since 1998, and have used it 2-3 times a week for
pretty much everything you can think of (low and slo ribs, steaks, fish,
Christmas turkey, pizza, veggies, etc.). With the addition of a rotisserie
(Christmas present) its now doing double duty as a drum coffee roaster. I
wore out a couple of lower-cost grills before I got the Weber (Coleman and
Sunbeam). Both only lasted about 2 years before they needed work because of
rusted parts, and neither cooked as well as the Genesis.

I'm eyeing a new Summit stainless model, but the Genesis looks like it will
keep on going, and I'm one who wears things out before replacing them,
soooo..

"Michele" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm buying one for DH. I'm between Wal-Mart's Brinkman PoSeries 2500
> ($289) and Target's Thermos Stainless Steel (the $299 one) because I
> like the look of both and the price point is right. Which is the
> better and more reliable choice? Wal-Mart will assemble it for free;
> Target won't but has the better warranty.
>
> We use it for the standard backyard cooking (burgers, veggies, fish,
> kabobs) so we don't need too many bells and whistles. Durability,
> quick heating and ease-of-use are key.
>
> Thanks!

Ken

I just got back from looking at grills at Target. I went to see the
same Thermos you mentioned, but the next model up really caught my
eye. It's an all-stainless (I mean ALL!) for $400. I think I would
have bought one except they were out of stock. I also was considering
the Vermont Casting at Home depot for $400. It is very well made but
not 100% stainless. I went to Wal-Mart the other day but don't
remember seeing the Brinkman you mentioned. They did have a unit made
by The Great Outdoors Grill Co. that wasn't too bad, but not the
quality of VC or Thermos. I'm interested in hearing opinions on either
of the two units I'm looking at.
Ken

BTW, Amazon has the Weber 3390001 Genesis Gold C Natural Gas Grill,
Stainless Steel on sale for $399 - delivered. If you have NG, it
sounds like a good buy.

jdoe

Skip 'em both. Buy a quality unit even if you have to get a smaller one like
a weber silver A. You'll have a better unit, better support, much easier and
more pleasurable time of cooking etc. I made the mistake of falling for
flash over function by getting one of the flashy all stainless imports and
the more I use it (especially in less than ideal conditions) the more I
appreciate my very old weber genesis 2. That old unit has been used and
abused but when the chips are down it's my go to unit. THe flashy one won't
heat in cold weather, is useless in wind, needed tons of mods to work
correctly when I bought it, etc. Great to look at though. even though the
weber is old and sat out uncovered for 10+ years it still cleans up well and
cooks like a million $$$$. You'll go through 3 or 4 of the others.
larry
"Michele" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm buying one for DH. I'm between Wal-Mart's Brinkman PoSeries 2500
> ($289) and Target's Thermos Stainless Steel (the $299 one) because I
> like the look of both and the price point is right. Which is the
> better and more reliable choice? Wal-Mart will assemble it for free;
> Target won't but has the better warranty.
>
> We use it for the standard backyard cooking (burgers, veggies, fish,
> kabobs) so we don't need too many bells and whistles. Durability,
> quick heating and ease-of-use are key.
>
> Thanks!

Steve Calvin

> "Michele" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I'm buying one for DH. I'm between Wal-Mart's Brinkman PoSeries 2500
>>($289) and Target's Thermos Stainless Steel (the $299 one) because I
>>like the look of both and the price point is right. Which is the
>>better and more reliable choice? Wal-Mart will assemble it for free;
>>Target won't but has the better warranty.
>>
>>We use it for the standard backyard cooking (burgers, veggies, fish,
>>kabobs) so we don't need too many bells and whistles. Durability,
>>quick heating and ease-of-use are key.
>>
>>Thanks!

I agree with the other posters. If you're going to be grilling vs
bbq'ing then absolutely go for the Weber. NO comparison in them (I
have the Genesis Silver B) and what you're looking at at Wally World.
More money initially, true but they'll out cook and outlast and be
well worth the extra expense.

--
Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

Michele wrote:
> Which is the
> better and more reliable choice?

--
Neither. If you want to buy a good gas grill, go to a propane dealer or
outdoor furniture type place and look at the better brands. Weber, Viking,

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jason

Remember the adage:

Buy cheap, buy twice.
Harry Demidavicius

On 30 Jan 2004 22:58:32 -0800, (Jason)
wrote:

>Remember the adage:
>
>Buy cheap, buy twice.

Or -
Quality, Service, Price
Pick any two . . . .

Harry
Michele

Wow, it is unanimous! I've been convinced. I will skip the low-end
stainless trendy ones. I do want it to last a long time. The Weber
Silver B sounds about right. Now I'm just going to have the find the
absolute lowest cost. If anyone has any discount sources (online or in
Southern California) please let me know.

Michele
Steve Calvin

Michele wrote:
> Wow, it is unanimous! I've been convinced. I will skip the low-end
> stainless trendy ones. I do want it to last a long time. The Weber
> Silver B sounds about right. Now I'm just going to have the find the
> absolute lowest cost. If anyone has any discount sources (online or in
> Southern California) please let me know.
>
> Michele

Good decision. I've rarely seen Webers on sale. Though I must admit I
really haven't looked since buying mine about 5 years ago. I got the
rotisserie too and it's worth it, at least it is for me. Good luck

For a Genesis B, I'd guess that you're looking at around $475-$500 US

--
Steve

JL

"Michele" > wrote:
> Wow, it is unanimous! I've been convinced. I will skip the low-end
> stainless trendy ones. I do want it to last a long time. The Weber
> Silver B sounds about right. Now I'm just going to have the find the
> absolute lowest cost. If anyone has any discount sources (online or in
> Southern California) please let me know.

For the money, you can't go wrong with a Weber.
Good luck finding "the lowest cost".
It is my experience that Webers are rarely discounted.

Master Chef Richard Campbell

The best deal I could find on my weber was to look at the Lowes and Home
Depot then find the lower price. At my time of purchase they were $18
difference and got Home Depot to beat Lowes by another 10%. In my case it
was about $65.

Chef

"JL" > wrote in message
> "Michele" > wrote:
> > Wow, it is unanimous! I've been convinced. I will skip the low-end
> > stainless trendy ones. I do want it to last a long time. The Weber
> > Silver B sounds about right. Now I'm just going to have the find the
> > absolute lowest cost. If anyone has any discount sources (online or in
> > Southern California) please let me know.

> For the money, you can't go wrong with a Weber.
> Good luck finding "the lowest cost".
> It is my experience that Webers are rarely discounted.

CSS

Not necessarily true. My local hardware store (Orchard Supply) usually puts
them on sale at something less than list each spring. I do agree that they
are found at a discount less often than other grill brands, tho.

"Dr John" > wrote in message
news
> You won't find deals on Webers. They are a great company, Great
> product and great service, but they control retail prices intensely.
> Even discounters sell them at list.
>

> (Michele) wrote:
>
> >Wow, it is unanimous! I've been convinced. I will skip the low-end
> >stainless trendy ones. I do want it to last a long time. The Weber
> >Silver B sounds about right. Now I'm just going to have the find the
> >absolute lowest cost. If anyone has any discount sources (online or in
> >Southern California) please let me know.
> >
> >Michele

> Dr. John

Steve S

Prices don't vary much from dealer to dealer.

Don't forget the cast iron grates...some places have the "B" with stamped
steel, others have cast iron but Home Depot is the only place I've seen the
porcelain coated cast iron. That's the way to go...good heat retention and no
rust.
Mark Shaw

In article >,
(Steve S) wrote:
>Don't forget the cast iron grates...some places have the "B" with stamped
>steel, others have cast iron but Home Depot is the only place I've seen the
>porcelain coated cast iron. That's the way to go...good heat retention and no
>rust.

Aren't they prone to chipping, though?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -->
http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

Steve S

>Aren't they prone to chipping, though?

Never had any problem with them at all.

I replaced the un-coated cast iron that came with my Weber (kept getting
rust,no matter how well I seasoned them) with the "coated" ones. They sear just
as well as the un-coated ones and NO RUST.
Steve Calvin

Steve S wrote:

>>Aren't they prone to chipping, though?

> Never had any problem with them at all.
>
> I replaced the un-coated cast iron that came with my Weber (kept getting
> rust,no matter how well I seasoned them) with the "coated" ones. They sear just
> as well as the un-coated ones and NO RUST.

I did the exact same thing. No matter how much care I gave to the
un-coated ones they rusted every time.

--
Steve

Mark Shaw

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:
>Steve S wrote:

[porcelain-coated cast iron grates]

>>>Aren't they prone to chipping, though?

>> Never had any problem with them at all.
>>
>> I replaced the un-coated cast iron that came with my Weber (kept getting
>> rust,no matter how well I seasoned them) with the "coated" ones. They sear just
>> as well as the un-coated ones and NO RUST.

>I did the exact same thing. No matter how much care I gave to the
>un-coated ones they rusted every time.

Hmm. Not saying you guys are wrong, but I've never had any
rusting problems with my uncoated cast iron grates. I give
them pretty minimal care, too.

Maybe it's the fact that i use the grill at least once a
week (and more typically three times a week), year-round.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers
Steve Calvin

Mark Shaw wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>>Steve S wrote:

> [porcelain-coated cast iron grates]

>>>Never had any problem with them at all.
>>>
>>>I replaced the un-coated cast iron that came with my Weber (kept getting
>>>rust,no matter how well I seasoned them) with the "coated" ones. They sear just
>>>as well as the un-coated ones and NO RUST.

>>I did the exact same thing. No matter how much care I gave to the
>>un-coated ones they rusted every time.

> Hmm. Not saying you guys are wrong, but I've never had any
> rusting problems with my uncoated cast iron grates. I give
> them pretty minimal care, too.
>
> Maybe it's the fact that i use the grill at least once a
> week (and more typically three times a week), year-round.

don't know... I live in New York State. I seasoned the grates as I
would any cast iron and put a thin film of oil on them after use and
brushing. Still rusted. Glad that you have better results.

--
Steve

Jack Sloan

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Mark Shaw wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Steve Calvin > wrote:
> >
> >>Steve S wrote:

> > [porcelain-coated cast iron grates]

getting

sear just

> >>I did the exact same thing. No matter how much care I gave to the
> >>un-coated ones they rusted every time.

> > Hmm. Not saying you guys are wrong, but I've never had any
> > rusting problems with my uncoated cast iron grates. I give
> > them pretty minimal care, too.
> >
> > Maybe it's the fact that i use the grill at least once a
> > week (and more typically three times a week), year-round.
> >

> don't know... I live in New York State. I seasoned the grates as I
> would any cast iron and put a thin film of oil on them after use and
> brushing. Still rusted. Glad that you have better results.

I just spray mine with pam after they cool down...no rust
Jack

Steve S

>Hmm. Not saying you guys are wrong, but I've never had any
>rusting problems with my uncoated cast iron grates. I give
>them pretty minimal care, too.

Well, I guess I have to "amend" my earlier statement regarding the uncoated
cast iron grates.I did have some success if I left the grates uncleaned after a
cook. I'd clean them after pre-heating for the next cook.Still got some rust,
though.
I do like the porcelain coating best.

BKahuna

This message board is about barbecue.

Gas grills belong in the "it's really just a broiler, but it beats
learning to cook over wood" group.

Now, maybe you can start a "broilerque" newsgroup.

Jack Sloan

"BKahuna" > wrote in message
> This message board is about barbecue.
>
> Gas grills belong in the "it's really just a broiler, but it beats
> learning to cook over wood" group.
>
> Now, maybe you can start a "broilerque" newsgroup.

Read the faq...It's about gas grills too.
Jack

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:02:03 -0600, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>"BKahuna" > wrote in message
.. .
>> This message board is about barbecue.
>>
>> Gas grills belong in the "it's really just a broiler, but it beats
>> learning to cook over wood" group.
>>
>> Now, maybe you can start a "broilerque" newsgroup.

>Read the faq...It's about gas grills too.

And this ain't a "message board."

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Twangdaddy

>Subject: Help me decide on a gas grill!

Hell, we're more likely to tie yer ass to a tree and slap some sense into ya
until you ask us about SMOKER GRILLS!!!!!!
The kind used to make BBQ!!!
:-)

Now have a beer & a rib and reboot. :-)

Stinkbait Willie

Twangdaddy

>> Now, maybe you can start a "broilerque" newsgroup.

HAHAHA "Broilerque"!!!!

Like my Grandpa Chalie used to say:
"I ain't sayin' all gas grills are evil, but when the Devil farts it smells a
lot like propane!"

Grandpa Chalie had a lot of other great BBQ sayings too.

Someone tried to convince him once that real BBQ could be made indoors in an
oven. His reply - "The cat pooped in the oven one time but that don't mean what
she left there was biscuits!"

Damn, I sure miss that man!

Smokem ifya gottem,

Stinkbait :-)

"You'll always smell a good barbecue joint before you see it." - Chalie T.
Spencer
Tom72735

kamado get the gas option

BOB

Tom72735 wrote:
> kamado get the gas option

I get to pick up another one this Friday!

BOB

I can't decide... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 16 25-07-2016 01:40 PM
Please help me decide Zz Yzx Barbecue 53 22-12-2011 12:23 AM
Please help me decide.... Zz Yzx General Cooking 1 10-12-2011 11:11 AM
Help me decide which of these two pots I should buy? amandaF General Cooking 2 17-08-2008 07:43 PM
Dinner? Help me decide, please jmcquown General Cooking 13 30-01-2006 10:13 PM