Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Please help me decide....

'k, today I went to "The Fatted Calf Charcuterie" in Napa, CA:

http://fattedcalf.com/

and picked up 2 pork porterhouse steaks, each about 1" thick and 14
oz. I'll have them for dinner tomorrow.

Anybody got a suggestion how to cook 'em?

-Zz
"Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.
http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zz Yzx wrote:

> 'k, today I went to "The Fatted Calf Charcuterie" in Napa, CA:
>
> http://fattedcalf.com/
>
> and picked up 2 pork porterhouse steaks, each about 1" thick and 14
> oz. I'll have them for dinner tomorrow.
>
> Anybody got a suggestion how to cook 'em?

Here's what I would do:
Sprinkle with some dried basil, dried parsley, very small amount of garlic
powder, cracked pepper and kosher salt. Press this into the meat then add
some worchestershire sauce. Flip them over and repeat this. Let it sit for
up to an hour to come to room temperature or close to it.

Then either put on grill or if using a frying pan, hot sear them for about
60 seconds on each side, then turn down the burner and cook until desired
doneness. I prefer medium-rare.

Cook some onions and white mushrooms along with this to put on top or the
side.

Note: I used to cook steaks plain but this recipe comes from my daughter's
old boyfriend who was head-chef at an upscale local restaurant. Once I tried
it, I've always stuck with it. Done right, the spices don't overwhelm the
steak flavor, it just takes it to the "next level."

HTH.

Gary

I can't decide... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 16 25-07-2016 01:40 PM
Please help me decide Zz Yzx Barbecue 53 22-12-2011 01:23 AM
Help me decide which of these two pots I should buy? amandaF General Cooking 2 17-08-2008 07:43 PM
Dinner? Help me decide, please jmcquown General Cooking 13 30-01-2006 11:13 PM
Help me decide on a gas grill! Michele Barbecue 32 28-02-2004 02:20 PM