salchichon

Default weber kettle grill temperature

really sinple question...

what's the best/most accurate way to read/gauge the temerature inside
a weber kettle grill?

thanks...

scott
bbq

salchichon wrote:
> really sinple question...
>
> what's the best/most accurate way to read/gauge the temerature inside
> a weber kettle grill?
>
> thanks...
>
> scott

I use an oven thermometer. Works, but you have to take the top off to
read it. So Q'ing in the winter time is less for me.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

CSS

You could mount a thermometer. One of the neatest I've seen on a WSM has
drilled through the rivet on the top vent (small enough to keep the river
intact) and inserted a Weber gas grill thermometer.

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> really sinple question...
>
> what's the best/most accurate way to read/gauge the temerature inside
> a weber kettle grill?
>
> thanks...
>
> scott

Scarlet Pimpernel

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> really sinple question...
>
> what's the best/most accurate way to read/gauge the temerature inside
> a weber kettle grill?

With a thermometer ;-)

I bought a dinky little barbecue thermometer at Home Depot for about 8
bucks, with a short (1"?) probe. Pop it through one of the top vent holes,
and it works great. Attached a wire loop so I can take it out without
scrabbling for a grip when its hot...

I'll post a pic on alt.binaries.food

/s

salchichon

"Scarlet Pimpernel" > wrote in message news:<Q35Nb.85655$X%5.35107@pd7tw2no>...
> "salchichon" > wrote in message
> om...
> > really sinple question...
> >
> > what's the best/most accurate way to read/gauge the temerature inside
> > a weber kettle grill?

> With a thermometer ;-)
>
> I bought a dinky little barbecue thermometer at Home Depot for about 8
> bucks, with a short (1"?) probe. Pop it through one of the top vent holes,
> and it works great. Attached a wire loop so I can take it out without
> scrabbling for a grip when its hot...
>
> I'll post a pic on alt.binaries.food
>
> /s

Pimp...

i like that idea. i'll swing by home depot and get one. i situate
the top of the weber kettle grill so the air holes are on the direct
opposite side from the banked fire. obviously the food is on the
opposite side from the fire, now directly under the air holes. i do
that so the smoke has to pass from the fire, then over/through the
food, on its way out through the air holes. you think i'll get a
pretty accurate temperature reading with the vent hole configuration i
use?

i've never really known how hot the temp was inside the kettle. i've
never used more than the "hand over the grill, counting mississippis"
method.

Scarlet Pimpernel

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> "Scarlet Pimpernel" > wrote in message

> > "salchichon" > wrote in message
> > om...

>you think i'll get a
> pretty accurate temperature reading with the vent hole configuration i
> use?

I really don't know how exact the temperature reading is, in relation to the
temp at the grid. I would suspect that with direct cooking, there would be a
significant variance as much of the heat absorbed by the meat would be
radiant, so the distance from source would matter. With indirect, the food
is cooked by the air temperature in the kettle, which I would guess is
fairly consistent. But all this is speculation on my part. If its 20 degrees
out it really doesn't bother me, I generally use it for:
- getting the temperature "under control" with a fresh fire, so I know when
I can load the meal-of-the-day
- keeping within a range while cooking, like 350-375.
- Noticing when it drops off, so I can react appropriately.

HTH

/s