Tyler Hopper

Default where to put the water pan in a weber kettle grill?

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?
>
> right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
> the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
> directly over the coals on the food grate.
>
> which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
> the meat?

The water pan does nothing for moisture. It's there as a heat sink to even out
the temp.

Tyler

Tyler Hopper

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?
>
> right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
> the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
> directly over the coals on the food grate.
>
> which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
> the meat?

The water pan does nothing for moisture. It's there as a heat sink to even out
the temp.

Tyler

cl

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> The water pan does nothing for moisture. It's there as a heat sink to even

out
> the temp.

Why then do kamado afficianados say they have better results due to the
greater moisture rentention?

J/K

-CAL

cl

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> The water pan does nothing for moisture. It's there as a heat sink to even

out
> the temp.

Why then do kamado afficianados say they have better results due to the
greater moisture rentention?

J/K

-CAL

Edwin Pawlowski

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?

Garage.

Edwin Pawlowski

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?

Garage.

Scarlet Pimpernel

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?

I put it right under the meat, on the charcoal grid. Mainly because I don't
want grease drippings all over the bottom of the kettle, and this way the
fat drips into the water, and cleans up real easy.

/s

kobalt

I must object to you waterpan critics. What do you think happens to that
steam? Do you think it bypasses the food? If that's so, what happens in a
steamer?

Look at the situation: in a steamer the food is basted by the steam while
the food cooks in the heat. The same occurs in a WSM, or ECB, or whatever
makes heat and steam. The food isn't magically shielded from the steam just
because it's an outdoor cooker.

I'm perfectly aware the water has an impact on temperature in the cooker.
I'm also aware it shields the food from direct heat from the charcoal. But
that can't be all that it does.

"Larry Noah" > wrote in message
> On 30 Jul 2004 04:45:04 -0700, (salchichon)
> wrote:
>
> >where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> >during indirect q'ing?
> >
> >right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
> >the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
> >directly over the coals on the food grate.
> >
> >which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
> >the meat?
> >
> >thanks...

> Not sure why you need a water pan, but when I use a drip pan I put it
> in the location you described. That should work for a water pan also.

kobalt

"Larry Noah" > wrote in message
> On 30 Jul 2004 04:45:04 -0700, (salchichon)
> wrote:
>
> >where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> >during indirect q'ing?
> >
> >right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
> >the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
> >directly over the coals on the food grate.
> >
> >which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
> >the meat?
> >
> >thanks...

> Not sure why you need a water pan, but when I use a drip pan I put it
> in the location you described. That should work for a water pan also.

Edwin Pawlowski

"kobalt" > wrote in message

> Look at the situation: in a steamer the food is basted by the steam while
> the food cooks in the heat. The same occurs in a WSM, or ECB, or whatever
> makes heat and steam. The food isn't magically shielded from the steam

just
> because it's an outdoor cooker.
>
> I'm perfectly aware the water has an impact on temperature in the cooker.
> I'm also aware it shields the food from direct heat from the charcoal. But
> that can't be all that it does.

Many WSM and ECB owners have gotten better results by covering the empty pan
with foil or adding sand instead of water. If you like steamed meat, go for
it.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"kobalt" > wrote in message

> Look at the situation: in a steamer the food is basted by the steam while
> the food cooks in the heat. The same occurs in a WSM, or ECB, or whatever
> makes heat and steam. The food isn't magically shielded from the steam

just
> because it's an outdoor cooker.
>
> I'm perfectly aware the water has an impact on temperature in the cooker.
> I'm also aware it shields the food from direct heat from the charcoal. But
> that can't be all that it does.

Many WSM and ECB owners have gotten better results by covering the empty pan
with foil or adding sand instead of water. If you like steamed meat, go for
it.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

frohe

kobalt wrote:
> I must object to you waterpan critics.

Hmmm, I been a water pan critic for some time. I think they're
useless and tossed the one that came in my WSM.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

kobalt wrote:
> I must object to you waterpan critics.

Hmmm, I been a water pan critic for some time. I think they're
useless and tossed the one that came in my WSM.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Duwop

"frohe" > wrote in message
> kobalt wrote:
> > I must object to you waterpan critics.

> Hmmm, I been a water pan critic for some time. I think they're
> useless and tossed the one that came in my WSM.
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

When I used a Mecco I thought the water made the food taste swampy and
fetid. I like the results from my offset waaaay better.

Dave Bugg

kobalt wrote:

> I'm perfectly aware the water has an impact on temperature in the
> cooker. I'm also aware it shields the food from direct heat from the
> charcoal. But that can't be all that it does.

Well, top-poster, that's all it does.

Dave Bugg

kobalt wrote:

> I'm perfectly aware the water has an impact on temperature in the
> cooker. I'm also aware it shields the food from direct heat from the
> charcoal. But that can't be all that it does.

Well, top-poster, that's all it does.

frohe

Fast N Bulbous wrote:
> Do you use any kind of heat deflector at all in your WSM?

Not at all.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

Fast N Bulbous wrote:
> Do you use any kind of heat deflector at all in your WSM?

Not at all.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

TFM®

frohe wrote:
> kobalt wrote:
>> I must object to you waterpan critics.

> Hmmm, I been a water pan critic for some time. I think they're
> useless and tossed the one that came in my WSM.

Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat over
the coals, BBQ.

Last time I used my water pan it had gas in it and I was using it to clean
my fuel pump.

TFM®

TFM®

frohe wrote:
> kobalt wrote:
>> I must object to you waterpan critics.

> Hmmm, I been a water pan critic for some time. I think they're
> useless and tossed the one that came in my WSM.

Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat over
the coals, BBQ.

Last time I used my water pan it had gas in it and I was using it to clean
my fuel pump.

TFM®

frohe

TFM® wrote:
> Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat
> over the coals, BBQ.

I can't help it; I was raised without knowin what a water pan was for
a cooker. Watched my grandad and daddy both fire up a 55 gallon drum
to cook up some of the best Q in the world.
--
-frohe - a chip off the old (wood) block
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

TFM® wrote:
> Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat
> over the coals, BBQ.

I can't help it; I was raised without knowin what a water pan was for
a cooker. Watched my grandad and daddy both fire up a 55 gallon drum
to cook up some of the best Q in the world.
--
-frohe - a chip off the old (wood) block
Life is too short to be in a hurry

TFM®

frohe wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>> Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat
>> over the coals, BBQ.

> I can't help it; I was raised without knowin what a water pan was for
> a cooker. Watched my grandad and daddy both fire up a 55 gallon drum
> to cook up some of the best Q in the world.

Lucky you. My daddy used to grill sometimes with Kingsford and Kraft.

Never learned a ****in' thing from that man.

TFM®

TFM®

frohe wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>> Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat
>> over the coals, BBQ.

> I can't help it; I was raised without knowin what a water pan was for
> a cooker. Watched my grandad and daddy both fire up a 55 gallon drum
> to cook up some of the best Q in the world.

Lucky you. My daddy used to grill sometimes with Kingsford and Kraft.

Never learned a ****in' thing from that man.

TFM®

BOB

frohe wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>> Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat
>> over the coals, BBQ.

> I can't help it; I was raised without knowin what a water pan was for
> a cooker. Watched my grandad and daddy both fire up a 55 gallon drum
> to cook up some of the best Q in the world.
> --
> -frohe - a chip off the old (wood) block
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

Water pan is for watering the dogs and other critters, isn't it?

BOB

BOB

frohe wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>> Well, that's mainly because you cook BBQ, Frohe. Yep, good old meat
>> over the coals, BBQ.

> I can't help it; I was raised without knowin what a water pan was for
> a cooker. Watched my grandad and daddy both fire up a 55 gallon drum
> to cook up some of the best Q in the world.
> --
> -frohe - a chip off the old (wood) block
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

Water pan is for watering the dogs and other critters, isn't it?

BOB

frohe

BOB wrote:
> Water pan is for watering the dogs and other critters, isn't it?

<Noddin>
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

BOB wrote:
> Water pan is for watering the dogs and other critters, isn't it?

<Noddin>
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

John

I am unaware of the need for a water pan when using a Weber kettle
grill. Usually, an empty aluminum pan placed under the meat to catch
the drippings is all you need when using indirect method.
On the other hand the Weber Smokey Mountain unit does require a water
pan with water directly under the lower meat grill. Worked fine for me.

salchichon wrote:
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?
>
> right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
> the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
> directly over the coals on the food grate.
>
> which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
> the meat?
>
> thanks...

John

salchichon wrote:
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?
>
> right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
> the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
> directly over the coals on the food grate.
>
> which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
> the meat?
>
> thanks...

frohe

John wrote:
> On the other hand the Weber Smokey Mountain unit does require a

water
> pan with water directly under the lower meat grill.

Required? No. Provided? Yes. Many folks put sand in their WSM pan;
others leave it empty. And then there's those like me, we tossed the
pan entirely. Don't need it!
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

John wrote:
> On the other hand the Weber Smokey Mountain unit does require a

water
> pan with water directly under the lower meat grill.

Required? No. Provided? Yes. Many folks put sand in their WSM pan;
others leave it empty. And then there's those like me, we tossed the
pan entirely. Don't need it!
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Bob Ardren

I've been putting the water pan down between the two pile of charcoal for
years--never considered anywhere else.
"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
> during indirect q'ing?
>
> right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
> the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
> directly over the coals on the food grate.
>
> which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
> the meat?
>
> thanks...

Bob Ardren