Old 30-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Tyler Hopper

Default where to put the water pan in a weber kettle grill?

"salchichon" wrote in message
om...
where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
during indirect q'ing?

right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
directly over the coals on the food grate.

which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
the meat?

The water pan does nothing for moisture. It's there as a heat sink to even out
the temp.

Tyler

Old 30-07-2004, 03:20 PM
cl

"Tyler Hopper" wrote in message
The water pan does nothing for moisture. It's there as a heat sink to even

out
the temp.

Why then do kamado afficianados say they have better results due to the
greater moisture rentention?

J/K

-CAL

Old 31-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Scarlet Pimpernel

"salchichon" wrote in message
om...
where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
during indirect q'ing?

I put it right under the meat, on the charcoal grid. Mainly because I don't
want grease drippings all over the bottom of the kettle, and this way the
fat drips into the water, and cleans up real easy.

/s

Old 31-07-2004, 09:23 PM
kobalt

I must object to you waterpan critics. What do you think happens to that
steam? Do you think it bypasses the food? If that's so, what happens in a
steamer?

Look at the situation: in a steamer the food is basted by the steam while
the food cooks in the heat. The same occurs in a WSM, or ECB, or whatever
makes heat and steam. The food isn't magically shielded from the steam just
because it's an outdoor cooker.

I'm perfectly aware the water has an impact on temperature in the cooker.
I'm also aware it shields the food from direct heat from the charcoal. But
that can't be all that it does.

"Larry Noah" wrote in message
On 30 Jul 2004 04:45:04 -0700, (salchichon)
wrote:

where is the best place to put a water pan in a weber kettle grill
during indirect q'ing?

right now i put it directly underneath the meat, on the same grate as
the charcoal. the only other option i see would be to place it
directly over the coals on the food grate.

which location do you think would get the best flow of moisture over
the meat?

thanks...

Not sure why you need a water pan, but when I use a drip pan I put it
in the location you described. That should work for a water pan also.

Old 31-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"kobalt" wrote in message

Look at the situation: in a steamer the food is basted by the steam while
the food cooks in the heat. The same occurs in a WSM, or ECB, or whatever
makes heat and steam. The food isn't magically shielded from the steam

just
because it's an outdoor cooker.

I'm perfectly aware the water has an impact on temperature in the cooker.
I'm also aware it shields the food from direct heat from the charcoal. But
that can't be all that it does.

Many WSM and ECB owners have gotten better results by covering the empty pan
with foil or adding sand instead of water. If you like steamed meat, go for
it.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 31-07-2004, 10:17 PM
frohe

kobalt wrote:
I must object to you waterpan critics.

Hmmm, I been a water pan critic for some time. I think they're
useless and tossed the one that came in my WSM.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Old 31-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Duwop

"frohe" wrote in message
kobalt wrote:
I must object to you waterpan critics.

Hmmm, I been a water pan critic for some time. I think they're
useless and tossed the one that came in my WSM.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

When I used a Mecco I thought the water made the food taste swampy and
fetid. I like the results from my offset waaaay better.