salchichon

Default starting the weber kettle grill in cold weather...

i just figured out how to succesfully start the weber in cold (20F)
weather!!!

i still use a chimney starter, but before puting in the charcoal, i
put 2 parain (sp) cubes at the bottom on opposing sides. i never use
them in normal weather, but i've had 2 recent bbqs that have taken
longer to get under way because of "false starts"in cold weather.
anyway...

regarding the charcoal and the chimney starter...i initially fill the
chimney starter half way with charcoal to give the fire a chance to
get strong. i load the bottom with 2 full sheets of newspaper, and
let her rip!!!

once the half-load of charcoal gets going strong, i fill the chimney
starter with the rest of the charcoal to the top. when the flames are
at the top, i'm ready to go.

the fire started without problems and the ribs are cooking right now.
if you knew how to do this, well good for you 'cause i didn't!!! if
you didn't know this technique, i hope this helps the die-hard q'ers
who do it in the cold!!!

thanks...
Oncler

This seems unneccesary to me...........I Q'ed this weekend in 20 degree
weather (wind chill 8). I filled the chimney with lump..and put paper in
the chimney 1/2 at a time. The smaller pieces fire up quicker, and flame
more......3 pieces, and the lump was ready in 15 minutes. I dumped it in and
had all 3 vents of the WSM open. I went to check it in 15 minutes it was
almost to 300. I had to close vents to get it into cooking range.
I don't think that parafin would add nice flavor to the fire.........Just my
2 cents.............

Fishmonger

"Oncler" > wrote in message
> This seems unneccesary to me..........<snip>
> I don't think that parafin would add nice flavor to the fire.
> Just my 2 cents.............

This guy is a troll for sure.
The old syr.edu shows in the path.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:59:09 GMT, "Fishmonger" >
wrote:

>"Oncler" > wrote in message
>> This seems unneccesary to me..........<snip>
>> I don't think that parafin would add nice flavor to the fire.
>> Just my 2 cents.............
>>

>This guy is a troll for sure.
>The old syr.edu shows in the path.

It does? Where? BTW, google on syr.edu or news.maxwell.syr.edu and see
how many hundreds of thousands of hits you get. They ain't all trolls.

From: "Oncler" >
Newsgroups: alt.food.barbecue
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:45:06 -0500
Oncler

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:59:09 GMT, "Fishmonger"
> > wrote:
>
>> This guy is a troll for sure.
>> The old syr.edu shows in the path.

Is this guy calling me a troll ??? I'm 6' 5''.........I thought trolls were
under 3 feet tall..... :-)

Captin-Hook

"Oncler" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:59:09 GMT, "Fishmonger"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> This guy is a troll for sure.
> >> The old syr.edu shows in the path.

> Is this guy calling me a troll ??? I'm 6' 5''.........I thought trolls

were
> under 3 feet tall..... :-)

He was talking about the post you responded to.
I checked the name "salchichon" out and it has
only been used eight times. The most recent was
May 14, 2003 and never in a food group.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:48:03 GMT, "Captin-Hook"
> wrote:

>"Oncler" > wrote in message
>>
>> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:59:09 GMT, "Fishmonger"

>> Is this guy calling me a troll ??? I'm 6' 5''.........I thought trolls

>were
>> under 3 feet tall..... :-)
>>

>He was talking about the post you responded to.
>I checked the name "salchichon" out and it has
>only been used eight times. The most recent was
>May 14, 2003 and never in a food group.

Apart from the specifics of the date, the same could be said for
everyone on Usenet, at one time or another.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
salchichon

i'm not sure what a troll is, but it certainly doesn't sound
complimentary. feel free to pound sand. i'm sorry if i've only
posted 8 times on the usenet and only a couple of times in afb. feel
free to pound sand. it just dawned on me to read the usenet news
groups reference bbq'ing to try and pick up some tips. feel free to
pound sand. i'm getting pretty gung-ho into bbq and read alot before
asking questions/posting into a news group. most of the time i've
found the answer to what i've been looking for in afb or any other
news group i've read. that's why i don't post alot...i research
before asking a question to make sure noone else has recently asked
the same question. that's very good newsgroup etiquete. feel free to
pound sand.

Kevin S. Wilson > wrote in message >. ..
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:48:03 GMT, "Captin-Hook"
> > wrote:

> >> Is this guy calling me a troll ??? I'm 6' 5''.........I thought trolls

> were
> >> under 3 feet tall..... :-)
> >>

> >He was talking about the post you responded to.
> >I checked the name "salchichon" out and it has
> >only been used eight times. The most recent was
> >May 14, 2003 and never in a food group.
> >

> Apart from the specifics of the date, the same could be said for
> everyone on Usenet, at one time or another.

Kevin S. Wilson

On 21 Jan 2004 14:59:20 -0800, (salchichon)
wrote:

>i'm not sure what a troll is, but it certainly doesn't sound
>complimentary. feel free to pound sand. i'm sorry if i've only
>posted 8 times on the usenet and only a couple of times in afb. feel
>free to pound sand. it just dawned on me to read the usenet news
>groups reference bbq'ing to try and pick up some tips. feel free to
>pound sand. i'm getting pretty gung-ho into bbq and read alot before
>asking questions/posting into a news group. most of the time i've
>found the answer to what i've been looking for in afb or any other
>news group i've read. that's why i don't post alot...i research
>before asking a question to make sure noone else has recently asked
>the same question. that's very good newsgroup etiquete. feel free to
>pound sand.
>
>Kevin S. Wilson > wrote in message >. ..
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:48:03 GMT, "Captin-Hook"
>> > wrote:

>> were
>> >>
>> >He was talking about the post you responded to.
>> >I checked the name "salchichon" out and it has
>> >only been used eight times. The most recent was
>> >May 14, 2003 and never in a food group.
>> >

>> Apart from the specifics of the date, the same could be said for
>> everyone on Usenet, at one time or another.

You quoted four people in your top-posted, full-quoting message,
including me. Exactly who the hell are you talking to?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Jack Curry

"salchichon" > wrote in message
om...
> i'm not sure what a troll is, but it certainly doesn't sound
> complimentary. feel free to pound sand. i'm sorry if i've only
> posted 8 times on the usenet and only a couple of times in afb. feel
> free to pound sand. it just dawned on me to read the usenet news
> groups reference bbq'ing to try and pick up some tips. feel free to
> pound sand. i'm getting pretty gung-ho into bbq and read alot before
> asking questions/posting into a news group. most of the time i've
> found the answer to what i've been looking for in afb or any other
> news group i've read. that's why i don't post alot...i research
> before asking a question to make sure noone else has recently asked
> the same question. that's very good newsgroup etiquete. feel free to
> pound sand.

Yeah, you're off to a good start here. Just go pound sand.
Jack Curry
PS- Grownups capitalize a few letters now and then. Like at the beginning
of a sentence. And they bottom post, but that's probably too complex a
thought for you.

Jack Sloan

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
om...

> "salchichon" > wrote in message
> om...
> > i'm not sure what a troll is, but it certainly doesn't sound
> > complimentary. feel free to pound sand. i'm sorry if i've only
> > posted 8 times on the usenet and only a couple of times in afb. feel
> > free to pound sand. it just dawned on me to read the usenet news
> > groups reference bbq'ing to try and pick up some tips. feel free to
> > pound sand. i'm getting pretty gung-ho into bbq and read alot before
> > asking questions/posting into a news group. most of the time i've
> > found the answer to what i've been looking for in afb or any other
> > news group i've read. that's why i don't post alot...i research
> > before asking a question to make sure noone else has recently asked
> > the same question. that's very good newsgroup etiquete. feel free to
> > pound sand.
> >

> Yeah, you're off to a good start here. Just go pound sand.
> Jack Curry
> PS- Grownups capitalize a few letters now and then. Like at the beginning
> of a sentence. And they bottom post, but that's probably too complex a
> thought for you.

Why Jack, are ya sure yer not bein' to rough on this newbie sand pounder? I
mean...after all what the hell does "pound sand" mean anyway?

It might be somethin' good.
Jack(New and Gentler)

Horseshit

Duwop

saltichin wrote:
>>> feel free to pound sand.

Maybe he's a Marine? They sure like to pound sand.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Officer: "Soldier, do you have change for a dollar?"
Soldier: "Sure, buddy."
Officer: "That's no way to address an officer!
Now let's try it again!"
Officer: "Soldier. Do you have change for a dollar?"
Soldier: "No, SIR!"

Three Marines were walking through the forest when they came upon a set of
tracks.
The first Marine said "those are deer tracks."
The second Marine said "No, those are elk tracks."
The third Marine said "You're both wrong, those are moose tracks."
The Marines were still arguing when the train hit them.

Times are Tough
Everybody knows how gung-ho marines are, and how they're always looking for
things to volunteer for, right?

Well, a Marine sees a flyer that is advertising a project to cross a human
male with a female gorilla. The flyer asks him to participate in the project
for $500. The guy figures, okay, and he goes to the research facility where
the experiment is going on.

He walks in, and the project director shows him the gorilla. The Marine
thinks for a minute, then says, "okay, I've got three conditions: first, no
kissing. I'm not gonna kiss that hairy beast; Second, I'm not gonna spend
the night. I'm gonna do my thing and leave."

The director says that he has no problem with these two conditions. "So
what's your final one?" he asks.

"Well, times are tough, and I don't have the $500. Do you think we could
work out a payment plan?"

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||
Dale

Default User

Jack Sloan wrote:

> Why Jack, are ya sure yer not bein' to rough on this newbie sand pounder? I
> mean...after all what the hell does "pound sand" mean anyway?
>
> It might be somethin' good.
> Jack(New and Gentler)

Word origins sez:

Pound Sand

The origin of the expression go pound sand is from a longer expression,
not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. Filling
rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand
down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates
to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States.

Brian Rodenborn
Jack Sloan

"Duwop" > wrote in message

> Maybe he's a Marine? They sure like to pound sand.
>
> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
> Officer: "Soldier, do you have change for a dollar?"
> Soldier: "Sure, buddy."
> Officer: "That's no way to address an officer!
> Now let's try it again!"
> Officer: "Soldier. Do you have change for a dollar?"
> Soldier: "No, SIR!"
>
> Three Marines were walking through the forest when they came upon a set of
> tracks.
> The first Marine said "those are deer tracks."
> The second Marine said "No, those are elk tracks."
> The third Marine said "You're both wrong, those are moose tracks."
> The Marines were still arguing when the train hit them.
>
> Times are Tough
> Everybody knows how gung-ho marines are, and how they're always looking

for
> things to volunteer for, right?
>
> Well, a Marine sees a flyer that is advertising a project to cross a human
> male with a female gorilla. The flyer asks him to participate in the

project
> for $500. The guy figures, okay, and he goes to the research facility

where
> the experiment is going on.
>
> He walks in, and the project director shows him the gorilla. The Marine
> thinks for a minute, then says, "okay, I've got three conditions: first,

no
> kissing. I'm not gonna kiss that hairy beast; Second, I'm not gonna spend
> the night. I'm gonna do my thing and leave."
>
> The director says that he has no problem with these two conditions. "So
> what's your final one?" he asks.
>
> "Well, times are tough, and I don't have the $500. Do you think we could
> work out a payment plan?"
>
> |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||
> Dale
> --

You sure those weren't Aggies?
Jack

Jack Sloan

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Jack Sloan wrote:
>
> > Why Jack, are ya sure yer not bein' to rough on this newbie sand

pounder? I
> > mean...after all what the hell does "pound sand" mean anyway?
> >
> > It might be somethin' good.
> > Jack(New and Gentler)

> Word origins sez:
>
> Pound Sand
>
> The origin of the expression go pound sand is from a longer expression,
> not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. Filling
> rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand
> down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates
> to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States.

Man, I learn sumthin' every day.
Jack