Steve

Default American Beef and Mad Cow

Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in the
US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers?? I HOPE SO. I say boycott
every beef rancher, from the big faceless corporations to the little mom and
pop farms. Then the you americans can get a taste of your own medicine

BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human, just
like the rest of you

Reg

Steve wrote:

> Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in the
> US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
> like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers??

Yes. You can't exactly blame em. I wish we didn't adopt such an irrational
and political policy, but it's a bit late at this point.

> BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....

Cool. You can stay.

CSS

another proud Canadian, eh??

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in

the
> US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
> like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers?? I HOPE SO. I say boycott
> every beef rancher, from the big faceless corporations to the little mom

and
> pop farms. Then the you americans can get a taste of your own medicine
>
> BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human,

just
> like the rest of you

Steve Wertz

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" >
wrote:

>BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human, just
>like the rest of you

So you're a *** carniviore, then?

-sw

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:03:45 GMT, Reg > wrote:

wrote:

>> Japan and North . . . er, I mean SOUTH Korea have already done so.

>It sucks. Retaliation is underway and it's our own fault.
>
>Then again, maybe the price of beef coming back down isn't such a
>bad thing...

All those Prime cows destined for Japan will hopefully land on my
table instead.

Prices will go down, but then there'll costy controls put into place.
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out - in 5+ years. The Beef
Industry lobbyists will be keeping busy, I'm sure.

-sw
bk

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" >
> wrote:
>
> >BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human,

just
> >like the rest of you

> So you're a *** carniviore, then?
>
> -sw

He should still be welcomed, whether he's a *** carnavore or a straight
vegan thinking of conversion..

Pierre

Steve Wertz > wrote in message >...
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" >
> wrote:
>
> >BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human, just
> >like the rest of you

> So you're a *** carniviore, then?
>
> -sw

I NEEDED THAT LAUGH!!!!!!!!

Cheers, all.
Moo
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:49:08 GMT, "bk" > wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human,

>just
>> >like the rest of you

>> So you're a *** carniviore, then?
>>

>He should still be welcomed, whether he's a *** carnavore or a straight
>vegan thinking of conversion..

You honestly think we need more bigots around here?

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Nathan Lau

Steve wrote:

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:13:06 GMT, Nathan Lau
> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>
>PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Not a troll, jut angry.

-sw
Steve Wertz

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:49:08 GMT, "bk" > wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human,

>just
>> >like the rest of you

>> So you're a *** carniviore, then?
>>
>> -sw
>>

>He should still be welcomed, whether he's a *** carnavore or a straight
>vegan thinking of conversion..

Never said he wasn't. It's funny how some people will use even the
most indifferent comment as an excuse to mount their high-horse.

-sw
barry

If there is a legitimate health risk, then the beef should be kept off the
market so that a boycott isn't required. Payback, retaliation, etc., have
no place in this discussion, although there will be those who go off the
handle.

I wonder how this will play into the hands of the forces seeking to develop
"branded beef?" I can see it now -- "Registered Brangus Beef, not mad, just
slightly p**** o**." <g>

Barry
"Steve" > wrote in message
> Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in

the
> US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
> like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers?? I HOPE SO. I say boycott
> every beef rancher, from the big faceless corporations to the little mom

and
> pop farms. Then the you americans can get a taste of your own medicine
>
> BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human,

just
> like the rest of you

CSS

The cow was found in Washington state. Perhaps it came over the border from
Canada? <g>

"Pierre" > wrote in message
om...
> Steve Wertz > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human,

just
> > >like the rest of you

> > So you're a *** carniviore, then?
> >
> > -sw

> I NEEDED THAT LAUGH!!!!!!!!
>
> Cheers, all.
> Moo

OSIRIS

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" > wrote:

>Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in the
>US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
>like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers?? I HOPE SO. I say boycott
>every beef rancher, from the big faceless corporations to the little mom and
>pop farms. Then the you americans can get a taste of your own medicine
>
>BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human, just
>like the rest of you

I'm not a fag vegan either but I am an Albertan. As such I can understand the
anger I sense in the words you chose. This is not, however, the time to be
poking each other in the eye. It was the US government )not the farmers) that
slammed the border shut back in the spring -- and only then to protect the US
farmers (they could not sell beef to Japan and Korea unless they closed the
border to guarantee no Canadian beef would be involved in their exports).

The US farmers, by and large were extremely sympathetic to the situation in
Alberta and many of them lobbied their own government to relax the rules.

The problem now is that the US farmers will no longer be able to sell the US
beef in Japan and Korea (and other countries) so the prices in the USA will drop
like a rock. This means the US farmers will be hurt by low prices. Even if the
border opened immediately to allow ALL canadian beef into the USA, it would just
cause a glut on the market and prices would fall even faster.

This is not a Canada versus USA thing -- we're all in it together and we're all
going to lose.

Miles

Steve wrote:

> Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in the
> US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
> like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers?? I HOPE SO. I say boycott
> every beef rancher, from the big faceless corporations to the little mom and
> pop farms. Then the you americans can get a taste of your own medicine
>
> BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human, just
> like the rest of you

Heck, if all those countries boycott our beef, then there will be more
beef on the US market. That means lower prices for meat. Heck ya, boycott!

Donald L Ferrt

"Steve" > wrote in message >.. .
> Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in the
> US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
> like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers?? I HOPE SO. I say boycott
> every beef rancher, from the big faceless corporations to the little mom and
> pop farms. Then the you americans can get a taste of your own medicine
>
> BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human, just
> like the rest of you

Well, if you Buy Grasas fed beef only, you will avoid the Mad cow
disease and eat healthy beef also:

But if you eat totally grass fed beef, you get Mad cow free and
healthy beef!

You have plenty to choose from:

http://www.lambandwool.com

http://www.lasatergrasslandsbeef.com

http://www.ervins.com

http://www.eatwild.com
notbob

On 2003-12-25, Donald L Ferrt > wrote:

> Well, if you Buy Grasas fed beef only, you will avoid the Mad cow
> disease and eat healthy beef also:
>
> But if you eat totally grass fed beef, you get Mad cow free and
> healthy beef!

You wish. American beef producers are not supposed to feed recycled
beef (ground up beef parts) to live beef. Obviously, someone is
dishonest and ignored the law. If you think ranchers who raise grass
fed beef are more honest than ranchers that raise grass fed beef,
you're a fool.

nb
bbq

OSIRIS wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:40:20 -0500, "Steve" > wrote:
>

>>Now that the US Dept. of Agriculture has confirmed a case of Mad Cow in the
>>US, are other countries going to completely **** over the US beef industry
>>like the US did to the Alberta Beef farmers?? I HOPE SO. I say boycott
>>every beef rancher, from the big faceless corporations to the little mom and
>>pop farms. Then the you americans can get a taste of your own medicine
>>
>>BTW...I'm NOT one of those fag vegans....I eat meat like a true human, just
>>like the rest of you

> I'm not a fag vegan either but I am an Albertan. As such I can understand the
> anger I sense in the words you chose. This is not, however, the time to be
> poking each other in the eye. It was the US government )not the farmers) that
> slammed the border shut back in the spring -- and only then to protect the US
> farmers (they could not sell beef to Japan and Korea unless they closed the
> border to guarantee no Canadian beef would be involved in their exports).
>
> The US farmers, by and large were extremely sympathetic to the situation in
> Alberta and many of them lobbied their own government to relax the rules.
>
> The problem now is that the US farmers will no longer be able to sell the US
> beef in Japan and Korea (and other countries) so the prices in the USA will drop
> like a rock. This means the US farmers will be hurt by low prices. Even if the
> border opened immediately to allow ALL canadian beef into the USA, it would just
> cause a glut on the market and prices would fall even faster.
>
> This is not a Canada versus USA thing -- we're all in it together and we're all
> going to lose.

I agree it is not a 'Canada versus USA thing -- we're all in it
together'. However, the most recent price I have seen on Ribeye steaks
was 12.98/lb. This is a price I can not afford, nor will pay for, even
if I could afford it. My lord, buying a steak to have a nice meal at
home and it costing over $15 per plate is simply wrong IMHO.

I have heard though, that at least the ranchers are getting some of the
excess money being charged. Cattle coming off the truck, the rancher is
getting $1.50/lb. Not to long ago, it was .80/lb. I heard this last week
from a guy in the meat department of a Cubfoods. Don't know what this
latest development will do.

But if Ribeyes get to 1.99/lb. you can bet your sweet ass I am going to
get all I can fit in my freezer.

Merry Christmas,
BBQ

Thomas Mooney

notbob > wrote in message

> If you think ranchers who raise grass
> fed beef are more honest than ranchers that raise grass fed beef,
> you're a fool.

Wanna parse that one again, nb? ;-)

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

The Fat Man®

bbq wrote:

> I agree it is not a 'Canada versus USA thing -- we're all in it
> together'. However, the most recent price I have seen on Ribeye
> steaks was 12.98/lb. This is a price I can not afford, nor will pay
> for, even if I could afford it. My lord, buying a steak to have a
> nice meal at home and it costing over $15 per plate is simply wrong
> IMHO.

Your "lord" should be capitalized. <G>

> I have heard though, that at least the ranchers are getting some of
> the excess money being charged. Cattle coming off the truck, the
> rancher is getting $1.50/lb. Not to long ago, it was .80/lb. I heard
> this last week from a guy in the meat department of a Cubfoods. Don't
> know what this latest development will do.
>
> But if Ribeyes get to 1.99/lb. you can bet your sweet ass I am going
> to get all I can fit in my freezer.

'Twas quite a few years ago (more than 10) that I had a buddy who
worked in a slaughterhouse. He used to bring me whole ribeyes for $2 a
pound all the time.

Ah, the good ol' days.

TFM®
> Merry Christmas,
> BBQ

Donald L Ferrt

notbob > wrote in message news:<GxrGb.130322$8y1.404614@attbi_s52>...
> On 2003-12-25, Donald L Ferrt > wrote:
>
> > Well, if you Buy Grasas fed beef only, you will avoid the Mad cow
> > disease and eat healthy beef also:
> >
> > But if you eat totally grass fed beef, you get Mad cow free and
> > healthy beef!

> You wish. American beef producers are not supposed to feed recycled
> beef (ground up beef parts) to live beef. Obviously, someone is
> dishonest and ignored the law. If you think ranchers who raise grass
> fed beef are more honest than ranchers that raise grass fed beef,
> you're a fool.
>
> nb

Then they would lose their certification!
bbq

The Fat Man® wrote:

> 'Twas quite a few years ago (more than 10) that I had a buddy who
> worked in a slaughterhouse. He used to bring me whole ribeyes for $2 a
> pound all the time.

It wasn't that many years ago (maybe 5-7) that I could get Ribeye roasts
for $3.98/lb. Generally bought 2 of them.

> Ah, the good ol' days.

Maybe in a couple of months we'll be singin 'The good ol' days are here
again'

Merry Christmas to all,
BBQ

> TFM®
>
>>Merry Christmas,
>>BBQ

Steve Wertz

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 10:41:51 GMT, "The Fat Man®"
> wrote:

> 'Twas quite a few years ago (more than 10) that I had a buddy who
>worked in a slaughterhouse. He used to bring me whole ribeyes for $2 a
>pound all the time.

As recently as last year, the grocery strore here had a couple sales
of $2.99/lb for ribeyes/roasts. Yesterdays 3-rib roast was $3.99/lb
small-end bone-in and it was pretty darn good for Select (from
Albertsons, even, which I usually avoid like the plague).

-sw

Steve Wertz

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 17:47:49 GMT, bbq > wrote:

>It wasn't that many years ago (maybe 5-7) that I could get Ribeye roasts
>for $3.98/lb. Generally bought 2 of them.

That was just yestrday, for me. Albertson's in Austin.

-sw
butch burton

notbob > wrote in message news:<GxrGb.130322$8y1.404614@attbi_s52>...
> On 2003-12-25, Donald L Ferrt > wrote:
>
> > Well, if you Buy Grasas fed beef only, you will avoid the Mad cow
> > disease and eat healthy beef also:
> >
> > But if you eat totally grass fed beef, you get Mad cow free and
> > healthy beef!

> You wish. American beef producers are not supposed to feed recycled
> beef (ground up beef parts) to live beef. Obviously, someone is
> dishonest and ignored the law. If you think ranchers who raise grass
> fed beef are more honest than ranchers that raise grass fed beef,
> you're a fool.
>
> nb

There is a series of about 5 articles in today's NYT on this subject.
These articles detail how the cattle industry prevailed against a law
that would have prohibited processing "downers" or non ambulatory
cattle into the food supply. The infected cow was a "downer". Also
some cattle ranchers use food that contains chicken manure-well those
chickens can be feed beef by products and some of that stuff ends up
in the manure and then directly into the cows-this is still legal.

Also told about the researcher at UCSF who uncovered the cause of
BSE-something called a prion-after the mad cow event in Canada he
tried to see the US Sec of AG and she refused to see this Nobel
Laureate. His message was simple-hey it is not if but when. He has
several suggestions including a testing program to test every animal
over a certain age as they now do in Japan.

Worked my way thru high school and college cutting up cows and still
dearly love a nice chunk of beef. The cattle industry has themselves
to blame-as long as no one dies from BSE, probably not a lot of harm
will be done. In GB, 163 people have died from BSE/CJD.

It will be interesting to see if the pols in this country get their
heads out of their collective anal canals and fix this problem with
some very simple legislation that will only add a couple of cents a
pound to the price of beef. Given our pols and the agri bus
industry-I am not optomistic.

Heaven is a rare standing rib roast-and now I am off to eat some way
roasted to hell turkey-argggggggh.
barry

"--Shiva--" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 00:31:56 GMT, you wrote:
>

> >This is not a Canada versus USA thing -- we're all in it together and

we're all
> >going to lose.

> there was a story told of a farmer once some time last year...
>
> gross income for the farm... $350,000
> farmer on food stamps- to feed his family..
> gross DEDUCTIBLE expenses for the farm? $340,000
> net income for the farmer and family? 10K
>
> the problem in MY area is the middleman, AND the feed prices...
> farmers already starving, this will just break them...
> we can all eat chicken, I guess.
>
> --Shiva--

I worked on a farm many years ago and I have a friend who owns a farm. As
far as I can recall, and my friend confirms this, one of the main things
wrong with agriculture is that the small and medium sized farmer buys retail
and sells wholesale.

Barry

theBun

And it came to pass that Bun wrote:
> notbob > wrote in message news:<GxrGb.130322$8y1.404614@attbi_s52>...
>
>>On 2003-12-25, Donald L Ferrt > wrote:
>>

>>>Well, if you Buy Grasas fed beef only, you will avoid the Mad cow
>>>disease and eat healthy beef also:
>>>
>>>But if you eat totally grass fed beef, you get Mad cow free and
>>>healthy beef!

>>You wish. American beef producers are not supposed to feed recycled
>>beef (ground up beef parts) to live beef. Obviously, someone is
>>dishonest and ignored the law. If you think ranchers who raise grass
>>fed beef are more honest than ranchers that raise grass fed beef,
>>you're a fool.
>>
>>nb

> There is a series of about 5 articles in today's NYT on this subject.
> These articles detail how the cattle industry prevailed against a law
> that would have prohibited processing "downers" or non ambulatory
> cattle into the food supply. The infected cow was a "downer". Also
> some cattle ranchers use food that contains chicken manure-well those
> chickens can be feed beef by products and some of that stuff ends up
> in the manure and then directly into the cows-this is still legal.
>
> Also told about the researcher at UCSF who uncovered the cause of
> BSE-something called a prion-after the mad cow event in Canada he
> tried to see the US Sec of AG and she refused to see this Nobel
> Laureate. His message was simple-hey it is not if but when. He has
> several suggestions including a testing program to test every animal
> over a certain age as they now do in Japan.

[snip]

Regarding PRIONS:

There is more information regarding these abnormal protiens at the link
below -
http://www.rense.com/general21/madcowproteins.htm
By it's date, you can see that it is note new information. However,
until yesterday I had never read about prions and their concentration in
muscle meat.

There are many more articles at the base URL of the site above -
http://www.rense.com/ - Look down the center of the page for much more
info on the Mad Cow issue.

In particular you may find this article of some value:
More Deadly Lies - Did USDA
Even Test 20,000 Cattle?
USDA Refuses To Release Mad Cow Test Records
By Steve Mitchell
United Press International
12-24-03
http://www.rense.com/general46/liee.html

I do not profess to be informed in this area. Like most of you I'm
trying to get some tangible facts and not rely on the general new media BS.

Best regards and happy holidays to all.

--
Paul

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

theBun

And it came to pass that Bun wrote:
> notbob > wrote in message news:<GxrGb.130322$8y1.404614@attbi_s52>...
>
>>On 2003-12-25, Donald L Ferrt > wrote:
>>

>>>Well, if you Buy Grasas fed beef only, you will avoid the Mad cow
>>>disease and eat healthy beef also:
>>>
>>>But if you eat totally grass fed beef, you get Mad cow free and
>>>healthy beef!

>>You wish. American beef producers are not supposed to feed recycled
>>beef (ground up beef parts) to live beef. Obviously, someone is
>>dishonest and ignored the law. If you think ranchers who raise grass
>>fed beef are more honest than ranchers that raise grass fed beef,
>>you're a fool.
>>
>>nb

> There is a series of about 5 articles in today's NYT on this subject.
> These articles detail how the cattle industry prevailed against a law
> that would have prohibited processing "downers" or non ambulatory
> cattle into the food supply. The infected cow was a "downer". Also
> some cattle ranchers use food that contains chicken manure-well those
> chickens can be feed beef by products and some of that stuff ends up
> in the manure and then directly into the cows-this is still legal.
>
> Also told about the researcher at UCSF who uncovered the cause of
> BSE-something called a prion-after the mad cow event in Canada he
> tried to see the US Sec of AG and she refused to see this Nobel
> Laureate. His message was simple-hey it is not if but when. He has
> several suggestions including a testing program to test every animal
> over a certain age as they now do in Japan.

[snip]

Regarding PRIONS:

There is more information regarding these abnormal protiens at the link
below -
http://www.rense.com/general21/madcowproteins.htm
By it's date, you can see that it is note new information. However,
until yesterday I had never read about prions and their concentration in
muscle meat.

There are many more articles at the base URL of the site above -
http://www.rense.com/ - Look down the center of the page for much more
info on the Mad Cow issue.

In particular you may find this article of some value:
More Deadly Lies - Did USDA
Even Test 20,000 Cattle?
USDA Refuses To Release Mad Cow Test Records
By Steve Mitchell
United Press International
12-24-03
http://www.rense.com/general46/liee.html

I do not profess to be informed in this area. Like most of you I'm
trying to get some tangible facts and not rely on the general new media BS.

Best regards and happy holidays to all.

butch burton

theBun > wrote in message >...
> And it came to pass that Bun wrote:
> > notbob > wrote in message news:<GxrGb.130322$8y1.404614@attbi_s52>...

> >>You wish. American beef producers are not supposed to feed recycled
> >>beef (ground up beef parts) to live beef. Obviously, someone is
> >>dishonest and ignored the law. If you think ranchers who raise grass
> >>fed beef are more honest than ranchers that raise grass fed beef,
> >>you're a fool.
> >>
> >>nb

> > There is a series of about 5 articles in today's NYT on this subject.
> > These articles detail how the cattle industry prevailed against a law
> > that would have prohibited processing "downers" or non ambulatory
> > cattle into the food supply. The infected cow was a "downer". Also
> > some cattle ranchers use food that contains chicken manure-well those
> > chickens can be feed beef by products and some of that stuff ends up
> > in the manure and then directly into the cows-this is still legal.
> >
> > Also told about the researcher at UCSF who uncovered the cause of
> > BSE-something called a prion-after the mad cow event in Canada he
> > tried to see the US Sec of AG and she refused to see this Nobel
> > Laureate. His message was simple-hey it is not if but when. He has
> > several suggestions including a testing program to test every animal
> > over a certain age as they now do in Japan.

> [snip]
>
> Regarding PRIONS:
>
> There is more information regarding these abnormal protiens at the link
> below -
> http://www.rense.com/general21/madcowproteins.htm
> By it's date, you can see that it is note new information. However,
> until yesterday I had never read about prions and their concentration in
> muscle meat.
>
> There are many more articles at the base URL of the site above -
> http://www.rense.com/ - Look down the center of the page for much more
> info on the Mad Cow issue.
>
> In particular you may find this article of some value:
> More Deadly Lies - Did USDA
> Even Test 20,000 Cattle?
> USDA Refuses To Release Mad Cow Test Records
> By Steve Mitchell
> United Press International
> 12-24-03
> http://www.rense.com/general46/liee.html
>
> I do not profess to be informed in this area. Like most of you I'm
> trying to get some tangible facts and not rely on the general new media BS.
>
> Best regards and happy holidays to all.

About two years ago when the British mad cow episode was boiling, New
Yorker Magazine published a very lengthy and excellent article on
CJD/BSE, prions and how a history of this issue. It will be
interesting to see how our Pols react to this event. Don't expect any
of the Pols from the farm belt to show any leadership.
Mark Shaw

In article et>,
"CSS" > wrote:
>The cow was found in Washington state. Perhaps it came over the border from
>Canada? <g>

As a matter of fact, the BSE cow found in Canada was thought
to be of 'Merkin origin.

This isn't any big deal -- you can't get BSE unless you eat
the brain (yech) or spinal cord (yech) of an infected animal.
It's just yet another great reason to do your own grinding.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"It looks great at night. In the day, it winces like a hungover
Howard R. Bricker

(butch burton) wrote in
om:

> theBun > wrote in message
>> And it came to pass that Bun wrote:
>> > notbob > wrote in message

>> > There is a series of about 5 articles in today's NYT on this
>> > subject. These articles detail how the cattle industry prevailed
>> > against a law that would have prohibited processing "downers" or
>> > non ambulatory cattle into the food supply. The infected cow was a
>> > "downer". Also some cattle ranchers use food that contains chicken
>> > manure-well those chickens can be feed beef by products and some of
>> > that stuff ends up in the manure and then directly into the
>> > cows-this is still legal.
>> >
>> > Also told about the researcher at UCSF who uncovered the cause of
>> > BSE-something called a prion-after the mad cow event in Canada he
>> > tried to see the US Sec of AG and she refused to see this Nobel
>> > Laureate. His message was simple-hey it is not if but when. He
>> > has several suggestions including a testing program to test every
>> > animal over a certain age as they now do in Japan.

>> [snip]
>>
>> Regarding PRIONS:
>>
>> There is more information regarding these abnormal protiens at the
>> link below -

http://www.rense.com/general21/madcowproteins.htm
>> By it's date, you can see that it is note new information. However,
>> until yesterday I had never read about prions and their concentration
>> in
>> muscle meat.
>>
>> There are many more articles at the base URL of the site above -
>> http://www.rense.com/ - Look down the center of the page for much
>> more info on the Mad Cow issue.

> Don't expect any
> of the Pols from the farm belt to show any leadership.

Isn't 'Political Leadership' an oxymoron?

M&M Man

Donald L Ferrt

(butch burton) wrote in message . com>...
> theBun > wrote in message >...
> > And it came to pass that Bun wrote:

> > > There is a series of about 5 articles in today's NYT on this subject.
> > > These articles detail how the cattle industry prevailed against a law
> > > that would have prohibited processing "downers" or non ambulatory
> > > cattle into the food supply. The infected cow was a "downer". Also
> > > some cattle ranchers use food that contains chicken manure-well those
> > > chickens can be feed beef by products and some of that stuff ends up
> > > in the manure and then directly into the cows-this is still legal.
> > >
> > > Also told about the researcher at UCSF who uncovered the cause of
> > > BSE-something called a prion-after the mad cow event in Canada he
> > > tried to see the US Sec of AG and she refused to see this Nobel
> > > Laureate. His message was simple-hey it is not if but when. He has
> > > several suggestions including a testing program to test every animal
> > > over a certain age as they now do in Japan.

> > [snip]
> >
> > Regarding PRIONS:
> >
> > There is more information regarding these abnormal protiens at the link
> > below -

http://www.rense.com/general21/madcowproteins.htm
> > By it's date, you can see that it is note new information. However,
> > until yesterday I had never read about prions and their concentration in
> > muscle meat.
> >
> > There are many more articles at the base URL of the site above -
> > http://www.rense.com/ - Look down the center of the page for much more
> > info on the Mad Cow issue.
> >
> > In particular you may find this article of some value:
> > More Deadly Lies - Did USDA
> > Even Test 20,000 Cattle?
> > USDA Refuses To Release Mad Cow Test Records
> > By Steve Mitchell
> > United Press International
> > 12-24-03
> > http://www.rense.com/general46/liee.html
> >
> > I do not profess to be informed in this area. Like most of you I'm
> > trying to get some tangible facts and not rely on the general new media BS.
> >
> > Best regards and happy holidays to all.

> About two years ago when the British mad cow episode was boiling, New
> Yorker Magazine published a very lengthy and excellent article on
> CJD/BSE, prions and how a history of this issue. It will be
> interesting to see how our Pols react to this event. Don't expect any
> of the Pols from the farm belt to show any leadership.

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/sta...534182,00.html

Headline:

Risky tissue getting into beef supply, studies show
By Todd Hartman, Rocky Mountain News
December 27, 2003

Cattle tissues known to carry the infectious agents behind mad cow
disease are making it into the nation's meat supply despite industry
and government claims to the contrary.

Americans are consuming the tissues in a variety of processed meats,
including fast-food hamburgers, taco meat and hot dogs, according to
food and health activists who point to several government and academic
studies on the matter.

Meat industry officials say the high-risk materials - namely the brain
and spinal cord - are routinely removed from animals, leaving the rest
of the meat safe for consumption.

But a 2002 survey by the U.S. Department of Agriculture found
"unacceptable" central nervous system residue, including spinal cord
tissue, in 35 percent of the meat that ends up in items such as hot
dogs, pizza toppings and hamburger.

Such tissues are where the infectious agents behind mad cow disease
congregate. Known as prions, the agents are a kind of rogue protein
that have led to a human version of mad cow disease that has killed
153 people.

"The presence of spinal cord in meat is not expected and cannot be
allowed in products produced through the (meat recovery) system," said
the Food Safety Inspection Service, a branch of the USDA, in a report
on the survey.

Other studies also have revealed the presence of risky nervous system
tissues in meat. Watchdog groups say contamination occurs in the
slaughterhouse when:

• The spinal cord is severed with a band saw, spraying spinal cord
fluid onto the carcass. One European study found such contamination
occurred in every case that researchers examined.

• Compressing the brain with a stun gun or other device when the
animal is killed can send brain tissue deep into the blood stream and
the body. The industry has taken steps to alleviate this, but some
research indicates it remains a risk.

• A process known as Advanced Meat Recovery, designed to strip the
last bit of meat from the skeleton, has allowed spinal cord and other
nervous system tissues into the product that results, a fact borne out
most recently by the USDA's 2002 survey.

• Some bones, including the spinal column that can have bits of spinal
cord inside, are boiled to produce beef stock, extract and flavoring.

The discarded parts, including the spinal cord and other skeletal
remains, are sent to rendering plants, where they're mixed with other
animal leftovers to make pet food, feed for pigs and chickens and
other products.

"The administration and industry have been parroting this line that
one need not worry about meat because one need not worry about brain
and spinal cord," said Michael Greger, a doctor in New York state and
a nationally known watchdog on mad cow disease. He says he finds
plenty of cause for concern. ... (cont)

barry

> Isn't 'Political Leadership' an oxymoron?
>
> M&M Man

Well, no. They're leading the charge to get all of your money -- after all,
it's theirs by rights.

Barry

Howard R. Bricker

"barry" > wrote in
v.net:

>> Isn't 'Political Leadership' an oxymoron?
>>
>> M&M Man
>>

> Well, no. They're leading the charge to get all of your money --
> after all, it's theirs by rights.
>
> Barry

My bad. I like to forget that us greedy workers tend toward
cheating our honest hardworking government out of their
limosine and firstclass travel rights.

M&M Man (Still ****ed at the 'other' NY senator that sponsored
a $600K Amendment to the Homeland Security Bill to renovate
his Waldorf Astoria kitchen.)
Kevin S. Wilson

On 28 Dec 2003 15:31:31 GMT, "Howard R. Bricker"
> wrote:

>M&M Man (Still ****ed at the 'other' NY senator that sponsored
>a $600K Amendment to the Homeland Security Bill to renovate
>his Waldorf Astoria kitchen.)

The $600,000 remodel job was approved by the State Department. The
money was appropriated to remodel the kitchen of John Negroponte, the
U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. In all the articles I've read about it,
I've seen no mention of any New York Senator or the Homeland Security
Bill.

But don't let the facts stand in the way of a good rant against Evil
Gummint.