Peter

Default Mustard before the rub?

I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate applying
mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try. What's the
theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it affect the timing our
outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs, brisket, butt or all of the above?
Thanks in advance for the advice...

Peter

Nathan Lau

Peter wrote:

> I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate applying
> mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try. What's the
> theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it affect the timing our
> outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs, brisket, butt or all of the above?
> Thanks in advance for the advice...

I believe it's a technique some use to assist in applying the rub. CYM
(Cheap Yellow Mustard) helps the rub stick to the meat, with no
noticeable difference in taste or cook time. I've not done it; don't
see a need to spend time on the extra step of slathering on the mustard.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Jack Curry

Nathan Lau wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate
>> applying mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try.
>> What's the theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it
>> affect the timing our outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs,
>> brisket, butt or all of the above? Thanks in advance for the
>> advice...

> I believe it's a technique some use to assist in applying the rub.
> CYM (Cheap Yellow Mustard) helps the rub stick to the meat, with no
> noticeable difference in taste or cook time. I've not done it; don't
> see a need to spend time on the extra step of slathering on the
> mustard.

Nathan's right, it helps the rub adhere to the meat and itself imparts
little or no taste to the finished product. I do it occasionally and like
the results, though I also just dry rub and am happy that way too. If you
want to try, just slather a thin coat on, then sprinkle your rub right on
top.
Jack Curry

Monroe, of course...

In article > , "Jack
Curry" <Jack-Curry > wrote:

> Nathan Lau wrote:
> > Peter wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate
> >> applying mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try.
> >> What's the theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it
> >> affect the timing our outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs,
> >> brisket, butt or all of the above? Thanks in advance for the
> >> advice...

> > I believe it's a technique some use to assist in applying the rub.
> > CYM (Cheap Yellow Mustard) helps the rub stick to the meat, with no
> > noticeable difference in taste or cook time. I've not done it; don't
> > see a need to spend time on the extra step of slathering on the
> > mustard.

> Nathan's right, it helps the rub adhere to the meat and itself imparts
> little or no taste to the finished product. I do it occasionally and like
> the results, though I also just dry rub and am happy that way too. If you
> want to try, just slather a thin coat on, then sprinkle your rub right on
> top.

OK while we're surveying-I vote the moutard is unnecessary. I usually
use big ol' Ziplocs to help with applying dry rub. If you have salt or
sugar in the rub, a little moisture will leach out and help additional
rub to stick. You can thus add the rub in stages and get a lot of it to
stay on the meat. I usually rub the night before and then take it out
of the bag and add another coat of the rub and let the meat sit so
it'll dry a bit on the surface and come to room temp.
I do disagree that the mustard adds no flavor - to me it does.

monroe(save the frenches for the hotdogs)
The Fat Man®

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> I do disagree that the mustard adds no flavor - to me it does.

And I take it that the flavor it imparts is a negative to you?

I taught a cohort how to BBQ properly once, and mustard was key in the prep.
Mostly to hold the massive amounts of rub needed on an Anna Nicole type
brisket (THICK).

After I'd showed him, I ventured to his house after he'd become a
self-proclaimed expert and saw the thickest layer of mustard on a chunk of
meat I'd ever seen.

He then applied a rub which I deemed totally unacceptable for brisket.

A dozen or so hours later I told him that was the best brisket I'd ever
tasted. I'll stand by that statement today, as I still haven't made one
better.

TFM®

Wally Bedford

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:51:32 -0800, "Peter" >
reported to us:

>I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate applying
>mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try. What's the
>theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it affect the timing our
>outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs, brisket, butt or all of the above?
>Thanks in advance for the advice...
>
>Peter

Do this with ribs all the time. "Rub" a bit less than half of your
usual amount on. Brush the CYM on and sprinkle the rest of the rub
on. If you try to rub the top layer in, you are just going to make a
mess.
HTH,

Wally

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting
Rob

"Peter" > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate applying
> mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try. What's the
> theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it affect the timing our
> outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs, brisket, butt or all of the above?
> Thanks in advance for the advice...
>
> Peter

Peter-

I've ALWAYS used CYM (thinly applied) before rubbing. Then,
refergerate overnight and rub again.
Delicious everytime. Well, except that time I wasted a rack of ribs.

If you don't use CYM how does the rub stay on the bottom of the food
you're cooking?

Rob (mustard...the gravity fighter)
shotgun*@osbaccess.com

Hi Peter,

Two places I've never seen bacteria growth is in a mustard jar, and in
honey. I think that it's useful to deter the growth of bacteria,
without altering flavor. Powdered mustard is popular as a
sprinkle/rub on beef, in some circles. Powdered thyme also seems to
have bacteria inhibiting properties, but I don't care for that flavor
on Q.

shotgun

TomD

"Peter" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate

applying
> mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try. What's

the
> theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it affect the

timing our
> outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs, brisket, butt or all of

the above?
> Thanks in advance for the advice...
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

As you can tell, for some people's taste mustard is a plus and for
others it is not. I like mustard on ribs, but to find which you
prefer I would try 2 spares. One with and one without.

Also, "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces" looks at this item
and some other interesting ones IMO.

Hope This Helps,

Tom

BOB

Monroe, of course... typed:

> On butts and briskets I put the fat side down toward the fire (homage
> to Hound and thanks to BOB)
> It's a waste of rub IMO to rub down fat exstensively.
> I've tried it both ways regarding the mustard and my best results were
> always without the mustard and it was one less round of extensive hand
> cleaning that way.
> I've never had meat so dry that rub wouldn't stick. Never.
>
> monroe(saves on GOJO)

Don't thank me. It was Hound made me see the light. I kept reading and ignoring.
Then I got an e-mail from the Hound, chewing me up one side, down the other, in
his own style, telling me that unless I at least tried it with the fat between the
meat and the heat, to just go ahead and keep on cooking mediocre to bad brisket.
After the first try, I was a convert. Hound never claimed that it was his idea,
he was just passing on the information.

"Try it, you'll like it"
BOB

Monroe, of course...

In article >, " BOB"
> wrote:

> Don't thank me. It was Hound made me see the light. I kept reading and
> ignoring.
> Then I got an e-mail from the Hound, chewing me up one side, down the other,
> in
> his own style, telling me that unless I at least tried it with the fat
> between the
> meat and the heat, to just go ahead and keep on cooking mediocre to bad
> brisket.
> After the first try, I was a convert. Hound never claimed that it was his
> idea,
> he was just passing on the information.

I think it was Hound's assertation that 'moisture wicks away from heat'
citing how a grilled steak gets puddles on top being proof.
I do my pork butts fatside down now also.
It's not the first time I've heeded sound advice that flew in the face
of everything I'd previously supposed. Probly won't be the last. To me,
this kind of stuff puts more truck in the 'Q as art' camp of belief.

monroe(grabbing them there pebbles from the blind mEn)
Race Bannon

I always rub my turkey with a store brand mustard prior to smoking. Keeps it
really moist.

"Peter" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to collect my brain and remember why some advocate applying
> mustard before a rub. I've never done it but want to try. What's the
> theory? How to apply it and for how long? Does it affect the timing our
> outcome? Is this a useful idea for ribs, brisket, butt or all of the

above?
> Thanks in advance for the advice...
>
> Peter

Erik Astrup

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:05:43 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>I always rub my turkey with a store brand mustard prior to smoking. Keeps it
>really moist.

I tried it a couple of times on pork shoulder, but I stopped using it.
Reason was that I *think* it helps to seal OUT the smoke. I dunno, I may
be totally off base, but there's a lot of water in mustard and water blocks
smoke. So in my very unscientific view, I won't use it anymore. My very
subjective view is that without it the bark on pork turns out better.

Never tried it on poultry though.

Net

Erik Astrup typed:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:05:43 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
>
>> I always rub my turkey with a store brand mustard prior to smoking. Keeps

it
>> really moist.

> I tried it a couple of times on pork shoulder, but I stopped using it.
> Reason was that I *think* it helps to seal OUT the smoke. I dunno, I may
> be totally off base, but there's a lot of water in mustard and water blocks
> smoke. So in my very unscientific view, I won't use it anymore. My very
> subjective view is that without it the bark on pork turns out better.
>
> Never tried it on poultry though.

You *might* have just explained why I don't like the mustard rub thing. I
never have much smoke in my K, and the mustarded ones just don't taste
"right" to me. I agree with everyone when they say you can't taste the
mustard, but something just isn't "right" in my experience.

BOB
thinking about this explanation???

Reg

Erik Astrup wrote:

> I tried it a couple of times on pork shoulder, but I stopped using it.
> Reason was that I *think* it helps to seal OUT the smoke. I dunno, I may
> be totally off base, but there's a lot of water in mustard and water blocks
> smoke. So in my very unscientific view, I won't use it anymore. My very
> subjective view is that without it the bark on pork turns out better.

This is my experience also. I avoid putting anything waterbased on the
surface of something that gets smoked below about 300 F. If I do use
something like garlic paste that has a high water content, I airdry
it in the fridge to get the surface moisture down to a minimum.

Another thing I do is something I learned from Rytek Kutas' sausage
book. If there's a question of too much surface moisture, I'll start
the cook out at a low temp (110-130 F), light smoke, and vents wide
open for about an hour. It helps to dry the surface and get it ready
to take on smoke.

TFM®

"Net" > wrote in message
> Erik Astrup typed:
> > On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:05:43 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:
> >
> >> I always rub my turkey with a store brand mustard prior to smoking.

Keeps
> it
> >> really moist.

> > I tried it a couple of times on pork shoulder, but I stopped using it.
> > Reason was that I *think* it helps to seal OUT the smoke. I dunno, I may
> > be totally off base, but there's a lot of water in mustard and water

blocks
> > smoke. So in my very unscientific view, I won't use it anymore. My very
> > subjective view is that without it the bark on pork turns out better.
> >
> > Never tried it on poultry though.

> You *might* have just explained why I don't like the mustard rub thing. I
> never have much smoke in my K, and the mustarded ones just don't taste
> "right" to me. I agree with everyone when they say you can't taste the
> mustard, but something just isn't "right" in my experience.
>
> BOB
> thinking about this explanation???

No offense to you capital BOB, or anyone else I may invariably toe-step, but
are you cooking direct in your flower pots?

I know zactly what you're talking about is true in offset mode, but straight
over coals it turns out for the better. (with the musturd, that is)

Tell me what y'all think,
TFM®

Erik Astrup

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:09:18 GMT, in alt.food.barbecue you wrote:

>No offense to you capital BOB, or anyone else I may invariably toe-step, but
>are you cooking direct in your flower pots?
>
>I know zactly what you're talking about is true in offset mode, but straight
>over coals it turns out for the better. (with the musturd, that is)

Yep, that's what I did. Direct on my K5. Never found it added anything
positive. <shrug>

BOB

TFM® typed:
> BOB wrote...

(damn "friend" used the 'puter and changed the name. Wonder what trouble
I'll get in for my hospitality?)
>> Erik Astrup typed:

Keeps

>>> I tried it a couple of times on pork shoulder, but I stopped using it.
>>> Reason was that I *think* it helps to seal OUT the smoke. I dunno, I may
>>> be totally off base, but there's a lot of water in mustard and water

blocks
>>> smoke. So in my very unscientific view, I won't use it anymore. My very
>>> subjective view is that without it the bark on pork turns out better.
>>>
>>> Never tried it on poultry though.

>> You *might* have just explained why I don't like the mustard rub thing. I
>> never have much smoke in my K, and the mustarded ones just don't taste
>> "right" to me. I agree with everyone when they say you can't taste the
>> mustard, but something just isn't "right" in my experience.
>>
>> BOB
>> thinking about this explanation???

> No offense to you capital BOB, or anyone else I may invariably toe-step,

but
> are you cooking direct in your flower pots?
>
> I know zactly what you're talking about is true in offset mode, but

straight
> over coals it turns out for the better. (with the musturd, that is)
>
> Tell me what y'all think,
> TFM®

I cook direct (99% of the time) in my ceramic pots. You aren't stepping on
*my* toes, 'cause it's *my* taste buds that like things better without
mustard.
Maybe I use the wrong mustard?

BOB

Jack Curry

BOB wrote:
> TFM® typed:
>> BOB wrote...

> (damn "friend" used the 'puter and changed the name. Wonder what
> trouble I'll get in for my hospitality?)
>>> Erik Astrup typed:

>>> You *might* have just explained why I don't like the mustard rub
>>> thing. I never have much smoke in my K, and the mustarded ones
>>> just don't taste "right" to me. I agree with everyone when they
>>> say you can't taste the mustard, but something just isn't "right"
>>> in my experience.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>> thinking about this explanation???

>> No offense to you capital BOB, or anyone else I may invariably
>> toe-step, but are you cooking direct in your flower pots?
>>
>> I know zactly what you're talking about is true in offset mode, but
>> straight over coals it turns out for the better. (with the musturd,
>> that is)
>>
>> Tell me what y'all think,
>> TFM®

> I cook direct (99% of the time) in my ceramic pots. You aren't
> stepping on *my* toes, 'cause it's *my* taste buds that like things
> better without mustard.
> Maybe I use the wrong mustard?
>
> BOB

Differences of taste buds is what. I really like the cym (French's) - it
does add some taste IMO and it doesn't inhibit the absorbtion of smoke, not
to me. It gets my vote on ribs and butts.
Jack

Jack Sloan

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry > wrote in message
m...
> BOB wrote:
> > TFM® typed:
> >> BOB wrote...

> > (damn "friend" used the 'puter and changed the name. Wonder what
> > trouble I'll get in for my hospitality?)

> >> No offense to you capital BOB, or anyone else I may invariably
> >> toe-step, but are you cooking direct in your flower pots?
> >>
> >> I know zactly what you're talking about is true in offset mode, but
> >> straight over coals it turns out for the better. (with the musturd,
> >> that is)
> >>
> >> Tell me what y'all think,
> >> TFM®

> > I cook direct (99% of the time) in my ceramic pots. You aren't
> > stepping on *my* toes, 'cause it's *my* taste buds that like things
> > better without mustard.
> > Maybe I use the wrong mustard?
> >
> > BOB

> Differences of taste buds is what. I really like the cym (French's) - it
> does add some taste IMO and it doesn't inhibit the absorbtion of smoke,

not
> to me. It gets my vote on ribs and butts.
> Jack

I like the mustard approach too. It also keeps the rub on the meat and does
seem to make a better bark.
Jack

TFM®

" BOB" > wrote in message
> TFM® typed:
> > BOB wrote...

> (damn "friend" used the 'puter and changed the name. Wonder what trouble
> I'll get in for my hospitality?)
> >> Erik Astrup typed:

> Keeps

may

> blocks

very

> >> You *might* have just explained why I don't like the mustard rub thing.

> >> never have much smoke in my K, and the mustarded ones just don't taste
> >> "right" to me. I agree with everyone when they say you can't taste the
> >> mustard, but something just isn't "right" in my experience.
> >>
> >> BOB
> >> thinking about this explanation???

> > No offense to you capital BOB, or anyone else I may invariably toe-step,

> but
> > are you cooking direct in your flower pots?
> >
> > I know zactly what you're talking about is true in offset mode, but

> straight
> > over coals it turns out for the better. (with the musturd, that is)
> >
> > Tell me what y'all think,
> > TFM®

> I cook direct (99% of the time) in my ceramic pots. You aren't stepping

on
> *my* toes, 'cause it's *my* taste buds that like things better without
> mustard.
> Maybe I use the wrong mustard?

I think not. Whatever you do to produce good barbecue will work for me.

I like my shit with a *LOT* of musturd on it.

TFM®