Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whole mustard seeds in my mustard

I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.

There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!

I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:00:05 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
>
> There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!
>
> I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
> http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW

You can't buy whole grain mustard from your grocery store? We have
that brand on the shelf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote:

>I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
>
>There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!

I'm sure those are crushed mustard seeds... Penseys sells them.

>I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
>http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW

"Ingredients"
"Water, Mustard Seed, White Distilled and White Wine Vinegars, Soybean
Oil, Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Grated Horseradish
Roots, Garlic, Spices, Egg Yolk, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate
(Preservative), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Turmeric and
Annatto, Propylene Glycol, Artificial and Propylene Glycol, Artificial
and Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium Edta (Retains Product
Freshness), Sodium Metabisulfite (Preservatives)."

You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>>
>>I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
>>
>>There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!

> I'm sure those are crushed mustard seeds... Penseys sells them.
>
>>I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
>>http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW

> "Ingredients"
> "Water, Mustard Seed, White Distilled and White Wine Vinegars, Soybean
> Oil, Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Grated Horseradish
> Roots, Garlic, Spices, Egg Yolk, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate
> (Preservative), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Turmeric and
> Annatto, Propylene Glycol, Artificial and Propylene Glycol, Artificial
> and Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium Edta (Retains Product
> Freshness), Sodium Metabisulfite (Preservatives)."
>
> You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
> less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
> mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
> vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
> horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
> everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

Cool recipe.

I think I'd need the sugar and vinegar though. Straight mustard is way too
hot for Pooh.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:50:35 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> > "Christopher M." > wrote:
> >>
> >>I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
> >>
> >>There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!

> > I'm sure those are crushed mustard seeds... Penseys sells them.
> >
> >>I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
> >>http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW

> > "Ingredients"
> > "Water, Mustard Seed, White Distilled and White Wine Vinegars, Soybean
> > Oil, Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Grated Horseradish
> > Roots, Garlic, Spices, Egg Yolk, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate
> > (Preservative), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Turmeric and
> > Annatto, Propylene Glycol, Artificial and Propylene Glycol, Artificial
> > and Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium Edta (Retains Product
> > Freshness), Sodium Metabisulfite (Preservatives)."
> >
> > You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
> > less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
> > mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
> > vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
> > horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
> > everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

> Cool recipe.
>
> I think I'd need the sugar and vinegar though. Straight mustard is way too
> hot for Pooh.

Here's a real recipe.
with sugar
http://simplegoodandtasty.com/2009/0...mustard-recipe
without sugar
http://www.chow.com/recipes/29677-wh...-dijon-mustard
horseradish is up to you - and I prefer mustard recipes without egg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Randy Johnson" > wrote in message

> On 18-Sep-2012, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
>> less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
>> mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
>> vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
>> horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
>> everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

> You can easily make prepared horseradish yourself, and better, and for a
> whole lot less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just grate a
> piece
> of horseradish root, add salt or omit it, add vinegar and water in 2-to-1
> ratio to make it as wet or dry as you like.

I draw the line at horseradish.

Actually my mustard was pretty cheap. I bought it from a homeless guy.

All he wanted was for me to sing the alphabet, which I did eagerly.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>
>> I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
>>
>> There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!
>>
>> I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
>> http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu...-4-Ounce-Jars/
>> dp/B0019ZE1SW
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Christopher,
>
> On closer inspection the label reads:
> ------
> Inglehoffer
>
> Grated
> Horseradish
> Roots
>
> Deli Mustard
> ------
> I called five supermarkets.
>
> ACME
> IANT
> Walmarta
>
> They all sell the brand but not that style.
>
> Whole Foods discontinued the brand.
>
> Trader Joe's only sells their name brand.
>
> I'll order it online from Amazon once I exhaust my current
> collection of horseradish sauces and mustards.
>
> <UHG!>
>
> All I spoke with were pleasant and eager to help despite being
> the bearers of bad news. LOL!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I'm surprised to hear it's not available in your area. It's a national
brand.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 18, 1:00*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> "Randy Johnson" > wrote in message

> > On 18-Sep-2012, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> >> You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
> >> less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
> >> mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
> >> vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
> >> horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
> >> everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

> > You can easily make prepared horseradish yourself, and better, and for a
> > whole lot less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just grate a
> > piece
> > of horseradish root, add salt or omit it, add vinegar and water in 2-to-1
> > ratio to make it as wet or dry as you like.

> I draw the line at horseradish.
>
> Actually my mustard was pretty cheap. I bought it from a homeless guy.
>
> All he wanted was for me to sing the alphabet, which I did eagerly.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

You're probably telling the truth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>>
>>I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
>>
>>There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!

> I'm sure those are crushed mustard seeds... Penseys sells them.
>
>>I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
>>http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW

> "Ingredients"
> "Water, Mustard Seed, White Distilled and White Wine Vinegars, Soybean
> Oil, Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Grated Horseradish
> Roots, Garlic, Spices, Egg Yolk, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate
> (Preservative), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Turmeric and
> Annatto, Propylene Glycol, Artificial and Propylene Glycol, Artificial
> and Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium Edta (Retains Product
> Freshness), Sodium Metabisulfite (Preservatives)."
>
> You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
> less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
> mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
> vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
> horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
> everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

And that is one hell of a lot of chemo-crap, isn't it.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:30:15 GMT, "Randy Johnson" >
wrote:

>On 18-Sep-2012, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
>> less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
>> mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
>> vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
>> horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
>> everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

>You can easily make prepared horseradish yourself, and better, and for a
>whole lot less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just grate a piece
>of horseradish root, add salt or omit it, add vinegar and water in 2-to-1
>ratio to make it as wet or dry as you like.

This is true but prepared horseradish is relatively inexpensive,
available everywehre, and one doesn't need much for adding to mustard,
for the small amount needed it's a lot easier to buy, and buying a
horseradish root will cancel any savings anyway. Next some putz will
say to grow ones own mustard seeds, and mine ones salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:50:35 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>>>
>>>I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
>>>
>>>There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!

>> I'm sure those are crushed mustard seeds... Penseys sells them.
>>
>>>I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
>>>http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW

>> "Ingredients"
>> "Water, Mustard Seed, White Distilled and White Wine Vinegars, Soybean
>> Oil, Sugar, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Grated Horseradish
>> Roots, Garlic, Spices, Egg Yolk, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate
>> (Preservative), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Turmeric and
>> Annatto, Propylene Glycol, Artificial and Propylene Glycol, Artificial
>> and Natural Flavors, Calcium Disodium Edta (Retains Product
>> Freshness), Sodium Metabisulfite (Preservatives)."
>>
>> You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
>> less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
>> mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
>> vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
>> horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
>> everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

>Cool recipe.

That's not my recipe in quotes, that's the ingredients list on the jar
you bought.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> I bought Inglehoffer's deli mustard.
>
> There are whole mustard seeds in the mustard!
>
> I'm loving this stuff. It's like mustard caviar!
> http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mu.../dp/B0019ZE1SW
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Oy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 18, 2:29*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:30:15 GMT, "Randy Johnson" >
> wrote:
>

> >On 18-Sep-2012, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> You can easily make this yourself, and better, and for a whole lot
> >> less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just use the crushed
> >> mustard seeds and half ground mustard seeds, water, a tiny bit of
> >> vinegar or omit it, a tiny bit of sugar or omit it, and prepared
> >> horseradish to taste (will already contain sufficient salt), omit
> >> everything else, especially all that chemo-crap.

> >You can easily make prepared horseradish yourself, and better, and for a
> >whole lot less money... you're mostly paying for jars... just grate a piece
> >of horseradish root, add salt or omit it, add vinegar and water in 2-to-1
> >ratio to make it as wet or dry as you like.

> This is true but prepared horseradish is relatively inexpensive,
> available everywehre, and one doesn't need much for adding to mustard,
> for the small amount needed it's a lot easier to buy, and buying a
> horseradish root will cancel any savings anyway. *Next some putz will
> say to grow ones own mustard seeds, and mine ones salt.

What...you don't grow your own mustard seeds or mine salt??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:

> "Christopher M." wrote:
> > Actually my mustard was pretty cheap. I bought it from a homeless guy.
> >
> > All he wanted was for me to sing the alphabet, which I did eagerly.
> >
> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> You're probably telling the truth.

scary

Mustard? Travis McGee General Cooking 72 25-01-2014 06:11 PM
Does anyone know where in the USA to buy ABB mustard ? Paige Marketplace 0 01-04-2012 01:54 AM
Mustard oil Michael General Cooking 14 03-01-2006 03:14 PM
Mustard before the rub? Peter Barbecue 22 04-01-2004 03:54 AM
Mustard powder substitute for mustard seeds George General Cooking 1 30-12-2003 10:40 AM