Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mustard Oil

I did my semi-annual pilgrimage to the Indian foods store and picked
up some supplies. One item is mustard oil. When I look more
closely at the bottle, it says:

"For massage use only".

Massaging my meat, maybe (no, Michael, you can't help me).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I did my semi-annual pilgrimage to the Indian foods store and picked
> up some supplies. One item is mustard oil. When I look more
> closely at the bottle, it says:
>
> "For massage use only".
>
> Massaging my meat, maybe (no, Michael, you can't help me).
>
> -sw

Shankar explained that ages ago. Mustard oil is not
legal for food use because it contains excessive erucic
acid. That labelling is just to get around the law.
Indians know that and ignore it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>I did my semi-annual pilgrimage to the Indian foods store and picked
> up some supplies. One item is mustard oil. When I look more
> closely at the bottle, it says:
>
> "For massage use only".
>
> Massaging my meat, maybe (no, Michael, you can't help me).

All bottles carry that message. But it is edible and used for cooking all
the time.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

> I did my semi-annual pilgrimage to the Indian foods store and picked
> up some supplies. One item is mustard oil. When I look more
> closely at the bottle, it says:
>
> "For massage use only".

From the rfc FAQ:

MUSTARD OIL - This spicy oil is extensively used in Bengali and some
other Indian cuisines. It is said that it is very hard, if not
impossible, to find good quality mustard oil outside of India. In the
'Western' countries, mustard oil is required to be sold with a "for
external use only" warning, since it contains allyl isothiocyanate and
erucic acid, both of which have been implicated in some health problems.
(This entry is based on Shankar Bhattacharyya's postings)

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:27:51 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I did my semi-annual pilgrimage to the Indian foods store and picked
>> up some supplies. One item is mustard oil. When I look more
>> closely at the bottle, it says:
>>
>> "For massage use only".

> From the rfc FAQ:
>
> MUSTARD OIL - This spicy oil is extensively used in Bengali and some
> other Indian cuisines. It is said that it is very hard, if not
> impossible, to find good quality mustard oil outside of India. In the
> 'Western' countries, mustard oil is required to be sold with a "for
> external use only" warning, since it contains allyl isothiocyanate and
> erucic acid, both of which have been implicated in some health problems.
> (This entry is based on Shankar Bhattacharyya's postings)

The Wiki page on Mustard Oil says something similar. The jury is
still out on the heath effects.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:23:49 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Shankar explained that ages ago. Mustard oil is not
>legal for food use because it contains excessive erucic
>acid.

At least it's not uric acid.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:23:49 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Shankar explained that ages ago. Mustard oil is not
> >legal for food use because it contains excessive erucic
> >acid.

> At least it's not uric acid.

Eating uric acid would not be harmful, because uric acid
is only sparingly soluble. It won't be absorbed from
the digestive tract in significant amounts.

Erucic acid will be absorbed, and when it constitutes
a large proportion of dietary fat, it has been implicated
in some heart problems.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...&artid=1277456

Mustard? Travis McGee General Cooking 72 25-01-2014 06:11 PM
Whole mustard seeds in my mustard Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 16 18-09-2012 11:28 PM
Name Your Mustard Sqwertz[_25_] General Cooking 86 08-12-2010 04:52 PM
Can You Cut the Mustard? Mack A. Damia General Cooking 32 22-05-2009 01:26 AM
Mustard powder substitute for mustard seeds George General Cooking 1 30-12-2003 10:40 AM