Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default It's Surgery Time For Me

Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two weeks. I'm scheduled to
start driving again on 6/16, after I attend Caleb's Commissioning as a 2nd
Lt in the Army and his graduation as a business major from Seattle Pacific
University. I had an MRI a week ago because of horrible back and leg pains
I've been living with over the last 12 weeks, along with other symptoms I've
developed. I saw my doctor the next day, and when she walked in the room it
was obvious from her demeanor that she had really bad news.

Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured disks from L5 on down to
S1. I have near total compression of several nerves and partial compression
on the rest. My doctor can't believe that I made it through the last several
months driving truck. She is looking at this as a near surgical emergency,
and was able to get me scheduled for surgery this coming Monday at 1:00pm.
Her immediate concern is that any further compression will cause permanent
nerve damage and varying degrees of paralysis. Jill was with me during the
appt. and immediately forbade me to even think about doing anything with
driving, or any other physical labor, until after recovery. At that point,
it looked as if I wouldn't be able to attend Caleb's commissioning or
graduation, and that hurt more than anything. I had looked forward to this
since Caleb entered college, and the thought that I would miss this is
crushing.

I have little idea how Werner will respond. They really like my performance
as a trucker, so I am hoping they will agree to just put me on unpaid leave
until I can return. Recovery from surgery well enough to drive truck, can
take 9 to 12 weeks. I guess I'll be finding out what Werner will do when I
call them with the news. After all the hard work over the last nine months,
I feel like all of this may be for naught.

PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious instructions on
limiting the extent of activity, I was able to take heavy doses of several
pain meds and fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I won't be
able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but I'm OK with that. It was a real
struggle, but well worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom, and
render him his first salute.

PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two weeks. I'm scheduled to
> start driving again on 6/16, after I attend Caleb's Commissioning as a 2nd
> Lt in the Army and his graduation as a business major from Seattle Pacific
> University. I had an MRI a week ago because of horrible back and leg pains
> I've been living with over the last 12 weeks, along with other symptoms I've
> developed. I saw my doctor the next day, and when she walked in the room it
> was obvious from her demeanor that she had really bad news.
>
> Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured disks from L5 on down to
> S1. I have near total compression of several nerves and partial compression
> on the rest. My doctor can't believe that I made it through the last several
> months driving truck. She is looking at this as a near surgical emergency,
> and was able to get me scheduled for surgery this coming Monday at 1:00pm.
> Her immediate concern is that any further compression will cause permanent
> nerve damage and varying degrees of paralysis. Jill was with me during the
> appt. and immediately forbade me to even think about doing anything with
> driving, or any other physical labor, until after recovery. At that point,
> it looked as if I wouldn't be able to attend Caleb's commissioning or
> graduation, and that hurt more than anything. I had looked forward to this
> since Caleb entered college, and the thought that I would miss this is
> crushing.
>
> I have little idea how Werner will respond. They really like my performance
> as a trucker, so I am hoping they will agree to just put me on unpaid leave
> until I can return. Recovery from surgery well enough to drive truck, can
> take 9 to 12 weeks. I guess I'll be finding out what Werner will do when I
> call them with the news. After all the hard work over the last nine months,
> I feel like all of this may be for naught.
>
> PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious instructions on
> limiting the extent of activity, I was able to take heavy doses of several
> pain meds and fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I won't be
> able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but I'm OK with that. It was a real
> struggle, but well worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom, and
> render him his first salute.
>
> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

Healing vibes to you Dave.
Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two
> weeks. I'm scheduled to start driving again on 6/16,
> after I attend Caleb's Commissioning as a 2nd Lt in
> the Army and his graduation as a business major from
> Seattle Pacific University. I had an MRI a week ago
> because of horrible back and leg pains I've been
> living with over the last 12 weeks, along with other
> symptoms I've developed. I saw my doctor the next
> day, and when she walked in the room it was obvious
> from her demeanor that she had really bad news.
>
> Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured
> disks from L5 on down to S1. I have near total
> compression of several nerves and partial compression
> on the rest. My doctor can't believe that I made it
> through the last several months driving truck. She is
> looking at this as a near surgical emergency, and was
> able to get me scheduled for surgery this coming
> Monday at 1:00pm. Her immediate concern is that any
> further compression will cause permanent nerve damage
> and varying degrees of paralysis. Jill was with me
> during the appt. and immediately forbade me to even
> think about doing anything with driving, or any other
> physical labor, until after recovery. At that point,
> it looked as if I wouldn't be able to attend Caleb's
> commissioning or graduation, and that hurt more than
> anything. I had looked forward to this since Caleb
> entered college, and the thought that I would miss
> this is crushing.
>
> I have little idea how Werner will respond. They
> really like my performance as a trucker, so I am
> hoping they will agree to just put me on unpaid leave
> until I can return. Recovery from surgery well enough
> to drive truck, can take 9 to 12 weeks. I guess I'll
> be finding out what Werner will do when I call them
> with the news. After all the hard work over the last
> nine months, I feel like all of this may be for
> naught.
>
> PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious
> instructions on limiting the extent of activity, I
> was able to take heavy doses of several pain meds and
> fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I
> won't be able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but
> I'm OK with that. It was a real struggle, but well
> worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom,
> and render him his first salute.
>
> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very
> gracious. They wished me the best for the surgery,
> and said that I had until June 30 to return to work.
> At that point they would consider my absence a
> 'voluntary quit'. As soon as I received medical
> clearance, I could reapply for my job.
>

> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see
> them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation
> of the women." -- Conan

Wish you the best of luck on your surgery,
I'm sure that was a great feeling for you to
have been able to attend the commissioning,
Shame that Warner could not have just said
that you were on temporary leave till you could
seem to eventually work out ok. Hoping it works the
same for you
CC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Jun-2009, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> [...]
> months,
> I feel like all of this may be for naught.
>
> PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious instructions on
> limiting the extent of activity, I was able to take heavy doses of
> several
> pain meds and fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I won't
> be
> able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but I'm OK with that. It was a
> real
> struggle, but well worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom, and
>
> render him his first salute.
>
> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
>
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
>
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

Wow. Wishing you well Dave. You're not trying to one-up Richard Campbell
are you? Nah, he's got a lock on the unearned injury title. Hey, maybe
you'll
have more time to trade insults with the gang here. Be looking for you.
Cheers.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two weeks. I'm scheduled
> to start driving again on 6/16, after I attend Caleb's Commissioning
> as a 2nd Lt in the Army and his graduation as a business major from
> Seattle Pacific University. I had an MRI a week ago because of
> horrible back and leg pains I've been living with over the last 12
> weeks, along with other symptoms I've developed. I saw my doctor the
> next day, and when she walked in the room it was obvious from her
> demeanor that she had really bad news.
> Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured disks from L5 on
> down to S1. I have near total compression of several nerves and
> partial compression on the rest.

....ow...
I'm only missing bits of one disc. So far no surgery required.

Get well. You have my prayers.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

Dave, we send you our very best wishes and hopes. The employer is
between a rock and a hard place, as are you. Hopefully, they'll
recognize your good efforts to date and will rehire you once you're
again fit.

Get well soon- and we wish you a complete recovery.
--
Nonny

You do not make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the education actually absorbed
by children. Don’t sacrifice our smart kids to
make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]

Dayum, bro! Chef Richard has to screw himself up, you do it with no help!
I sure hope everything turns out OK, Dave.

BTW I'll trade you yer f*cked up back for my backyard 'neighbor' ! ! !

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

All the best and happy you were able to see your son.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:32:11 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

(snip)

>PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
>the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
>work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
>soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

Well, darn (in place of a stronger word).

I'm glad they were very gracious, but it's unfortunate they can't
allow you a longer unpaid leave, and too bad that you weren't at a
place that offered at least some *paid* time. Since they value you,
hopefully you'll be hired back very quickly.

Best wishes to you as always, Dave. Take care, and I hope you feel
better soon.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

--
"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two weeks. I'm scheduled to
> start driving again on 6/16, after I attend Caleb's Commissioning as a 2nd
> Lt in the Army and his graduation as a business major from Seattle Pacific
> University. I had an MRI a week ago because of horrible back and leg pains
> I've been living with over the last 12 weeks, along with other symptoms
> I've developed. I saw my doctor the next day, and when she walked in the
> room it was obvious from her demeanor that she had really bad news.
>
> Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured disks from L5 on down to
> S1. I have near total compression of several nerves and partial
> compression on the rest. My doctor can't believe that I made it through
> the last several months driving truck. She is looking at this as a near
> surgical emergency, and was able to get me scheduled for surgery this
> coming Monday at 1:00pm. Her immediate concern is that any further
> compression will cause permanent nerve damage and varying degrees of
> paralysis. Jill was with me during the appt. and immediately forbade me to
> even think about doing anything with driving, or any other physical labor,
> until after recovery. At that point, it looked as if I wouldn't be able to
> attend Caleb's commissioning or graduation, and that hurt more than
> anything. I had looked forward to this since Caleb entered college, and
> the thought that I would miss this is crushing.
>
> I have little idea how Werner will respond. They really like my
> performance as a trucker, so I am hoping they will agree to just put me on
> unpaid leave until I can return. Recovery from surgery well enough to
> drive truck, can take 9 to 12 weeks. I guess I'll be finding out what
> Werner will do when I call them with the news. After all the hard work
> over the last nine months, I feel like all of this may be for naught.
>
> PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious instructions on
> limiting the extent of activity, I was able to take heavy doses of several
> pain meds and fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I won't
> be able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but I'm OK with that. It was a
> real struggle, but well worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom,
> and render him his first salute.
>
> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.
>

> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Good luck and prayers Dave.
Congrats to Caleb
Big Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two weeks. I'm scheduled to
> start driving again on 6/16, after I attend Caleb's Commissioning as a 2nd
> Lt in the Army and his graduation as a business major from Seattle Pacific
> University. I had an MRI a week ago because of horrible back and leg pains
> I've been living with over the last 12 weeks, along with other symptoms I've
> developed. I saw my doctor the next day, and when she walked in the room it
> was obvious from her demeanor that she had really bad news.
>
> Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured disks from L5 on down to
> S1. I have near total compression of several nerves and partial compression
> on the rest. My doctor can't believe that I made it through the last several
> months driving truck. She is looking at this as a near surgical emergency,
> and was able to get me scheduled for surgery this coming Monday at 1:00pm.
> Her immediate concern is that any further compression will cause permanent
> nerve damage and varying degrees of paralysis. Jill was with me during the
> appt. and immediately forbade me to even think about doing anything with
> driving, or any other physical labor, until after recovery. At that point,
> it looked as if I wouldn't be able to attend Caleb's commissioning or
> graduation, and that hurt more than anything. I had looked forward to this
> since Caleb entered college, and the thought that I would miss this is
> crushing.
>
> I have little idea how Werner will respond. They really like my performance
> as a trucker, so I am hoping they will agree to just put me on unpaid leave
> until I can return. Recovery from surgery well enough to drive truck, can
> take 9 to 12 weeks. I guess I'll be finding out what Werner will do when I
> call them with the news. After all the hard work over the last nine months,
> I feel like all of this may be for naught.
>
> PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious instructions on
> limiting the extent of activity, I was able to take heavy doses of several
> pain meds and fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I won't be
> able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but I'm OK with that. It was a real
> struggle, but well worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom, and
> render him his first salute.
>
> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

good luck with your surgery, Dave and Congrats on your son.

As for the job, can't you get disability while you are out of work?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two weeks. I'm scheduled to
> start driving again on 6/16, after I attend Caleb's Commissioning as a 2nd

snip

> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

It's good you found the cause of the back pain and can now start the
healing. I can't believe as hard up as the truck lines are that you
can't get back on plus there is the Family Leave and Medical Act, I
suggest you request from them the written policy.
michael (piedmont)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

To all of you who have posted well-wishes and other thoughts, I thank you so
very much. Your responses mean a lot. I am going to shut down until after
surgery. As soon as I feel up to it, I will post an update. Thanks again,
guys.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

-snip-

> PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious instructions on
> limiting the extent of activity, I was able to take heavy doses of several
> pain meds and fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I won't
> be able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but I'm OK with that. It was a
> real struggle, but well worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom,
> and render him his first salute.
>
> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

Sorry to hear it Dave, hope you have a full recovery. My son, joe jr.
is driving for watkins/shepard out of montana. He started 6 months ago and
is complaining about back problems, take care.

Joseph

> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"piedmont" > wrote in message

> It's good you found the cause of the back pain and can now start the
> healing. I can't believe as hard up as the truck lines are that you can't
> get back on plus there is the Family Leave and Medical Act, I suggest you
> request from them the written policy.
> michael (piedmont)

Not covered. Dave has been with them for less than a year. Meantime, good
luck Dave. Best to get it done now rather than suffer and possibly have
more damage.

Eligibility Requirements

Employees are eligible if they have worked for a covered employer for at
least one year, for 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months, and if at least
50 employees are employed by the employer within 75 miles.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Hi guys. I've been on home time for about a two weeks. I'm scheduled to
> start driving again on 6/16, after I attend Caleb's Commissioning as a 2nd
> Lt in the Army and his graduation as a business major from Seattle Pacific
> University. I had an MRI a week ago because of horrible back and leg pains
> I've been living with over the last 12 weeks, along with other symptoms I've
> developed. I saw my doctor the next day, and when she walked in the room it
> was obvious from her demeanor that she had really bad news.
>
> Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured disks from L5 on down to
> S1. I have near total compression of several nerves and partial compression
> on the rest. My doctor can't believe that I made it through the last several
> months driving truck. She is looking at this as a near surgical emergency,
> and was able to get me scheduled for surgery this coming Monday at 1:00pm.
> Her immediate concern is that any further compression will cause permanent
> nerve damage and varying degrees of paralysis. Jill was with me during the
> appt. and immediately forbade me to even think about doing anything with
> driving, or any other physical labor, until after recovery. At that point,
> it looked as if I wouldn't be able to attend Caleb's commissioning or
> graduation, and that hurt more than anything. I had looked forward to this
> since Caleb entered college, and the thought that I would miss this is
> crushing.
>
> I have little idea how Werner will respond. They really like my performance
> as a trucker, so I am hoping they will agree to just put me on unpaid leave
> until I can return. Recovery from surgery well enough to drive truck, can
> take 9 to 12 weeks. I guess I'll be finding out what Werner will do when I
> call them with the news. After all the hard work over the last nine months,
> I feel like all of this may be for naught.
>
> PS...As it turns out, with the Drs help, and serious instructions on
> limiting the extent of activity, I was able to take heavy doses of several
> pain meds and fly over and back on the day of his commissioning. I won't be
> able to attend his graduation tomorrow, but I'm OK with that. It was a real
> struggle, but well worth being able to pin his bars on, with his mom, and
> render him his first salute.
>
> PPS... When I talked with Werner, they were very gracious. They wished me
> the best for the surgery, and said that I had until June 30 to return to
> work. At that point they would consider my absence a 'voluntary quit'. As
> soon as I received medical clearance, I could reapply for my job.

God Bless friend, all good wishes and prayers are heading your way.

Be well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Well, it turned out that I have severely ruptured disks from L5 on
> down to S1. I have near total compression of several nerves and
> partial compression on the rest. My doctor can't believe that I made
> it through the last several months driving truck. She is looking at
> this as a near surgical emergency, and was able to get me scheduled
> for surgery this coming Monday at 1:00pm. Her immediate concern is
> that any further compression will cause permanent nerve damage and
> varying degrees of paralysis.

I'm a little late to the party, so I hope everything came out okay. I had a
very similar problem with my L5-S1 disc back in '01 or '02. I had a
neurosurgeon in Everett fix me up with a mini laminectomy. It's amazing what
a little pressure on your sciatic nerve can do to a mans' life. I was
miserable for about 18 months while my orthopedic surgeon jacked me around
with this, that, and the other thing. Finally I gave up on my ortho and saw
the neurosurgeon. The first thing he did was have me get an MRI since the
ortho guy thought x-rays were new technology and wouldn't use any other
diagnostic tools on me. Long story short, I was back at work in 10 days, and
pretty much recovered completely in 8 weeks.

Heal up fast!

--Brett