Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surgery recovery and what to eat?

I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. I
can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel woozy
but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking clearly
but still in pain. Repeat.

I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today the
leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have eaten a
few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3 of
them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. The other
day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. Usually I like
the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
today and am hungry. Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 4:27*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. *I
> can really see how people can get addicted. *You take your dose, feel woozy
> but still some pain. *Take another one. *More woozy and not thinking clearly
> but still in pain. *Repeat.
>
> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. *Today the
> leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. *I have eaten a
> few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3 of
> them. *I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. *The other
> day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. *Usually I like
> the fries but I threw most of them out. *The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
> but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
> today and am hungry. *Are there recovery foods? *I guess like comfort foods?

Shrimp are good. High protein basically to help your body rebuild.
Plenty of fluids too (water!)

Eggs are great!

Not too much fat, and carbs for energy.

Protein and water is best.

John Kuthe (soon to be an RN)...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Jul 25, 4:27 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>> I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. I
>> can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel
>> woozy
>> but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking
>> clearly
>> but still in pain. Repeat.
>>
>> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today
>> the
>> leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have eaten
>> few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3
>> of
>> them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. The
>> other
>> day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. Usually I
>> like
>> the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
>> but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so
>> little
>> today and am hungry. Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort
>> foods?

> Shrimp are good. High protein basically to help your body rebuild.
> Plenty of fluids too (water!)

Maybe that's why I've been craving protein. I always drink a lot of water.

> Eggs are great!
>
> Not too much fat, and carbs for energy.

Eggs aren't appealing to me now. Maybe I'll thaw a burger patty and have
that.

> Protein and water is best.
>
> John Kuthe (soon to be an RN)...

Good luck with that. Nurses are angels. I had such a good experience at
the surgery center and they were all very eager to make it a good
experience. The pain later, though. lol maybe I should have offered to
take one of them home with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:27:38 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. I
>can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel woozy
>but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking clearly
>but still in pain. Repeat.
>
>I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today the
>leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have eaten a
>few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3 of
>them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. The other
>day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. Usually I like
>the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
>but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
>today and am hungry. Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

If you're going to continue taking all those pain pills you'd best
have a couple doses of Metamucil each day too, and drink plenty of
water... Hydrocodone is big time constipating. I suggest you don't
continue to take those pills, better to bear the pain, have a couple
stiff drinks instead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 5:49*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:27:38 -0400, "Cheryl" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. *I
> >can really see how people can get addicted. *You take your dose, feel woozy
> >but still some pain. *Take another one. *More woozy and not thinking clearly
> >but still in pain. *Repeat.

> >I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. *Today the
> >leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. *I have eaten a
> >few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3 of
> >them. *I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. *The other
> >day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. *Usually I like
> >the fries but I threw most of them out. *The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
> >but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
> >today and am hungry. *Are there recovery foods? *I guess like comfort foods?

> If you're going to continue taking all those pain pills you'd best
> have a couple doses of Metamucil each day too, and drink plenty of
> water... Hydrocodone is big time constipating. *I suggest you don't
> continue to take those pills, better to bear the pain, have a couple
> stiff drinks instead.

The important thing is you need to EAT! So eat whatever you can
tolerate.You need your strength to heal. Make sure you take your
vitamins and Sheldon is right: I'm assuming Percocets?? Metamucil or
Miralax is the order of the day. Don't know how long after surgery you
are. It should get a bit better every day. If the pain is not
decreasing day by day (you may not notice it's less than yesterday but
you should notice its less than 3-4 days ago), call your doctor. You
may have a post op complication. I developed a nasty staph infection
after my cancer surgery. I'll spare the details but it took 4-5
courses of different anti-biotics before it finally got knocked outta
me. And then I started chemo... I had a hellish 8 months in late 2008-
early 2009.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back.
>> I can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose,
>> feel woozy but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not
>> thinking clearly but still in pain. Repeat.
>>
>> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me.
>> Today the leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either.
>> I have eaten a few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp
>> but got down about 3 of them. I keep craving something like a McD
>> double cheeseburger. The other day I got the one on the $1 menu and a
>> small order of fries. Usually I like the fries but I threw most of
>> them out. The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot but now I can't think of
>> what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little today and am
>> hungry. Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

> Tubs of fruit yogurts. You can sip them through fat straws like a
> milkshake. It's
> healthy and good for you.

I do have yogurt in the fridge. It doesn't appeal to me either, but maybe
I'll try one. I do like yogurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> If you're going to continue taking all those pain pills you'd best
> have a couple doses of Metamucil each day too, and drink plenty of
> water... Hydrocodone is big time constipating. I suggest you don't
> continue to take those pills, better to bear the pain, have a couple
> stiff drinks instead.

I'm very cognizant of the pain pills. I've taken 3 vicodins today and only
because it hurts so much. I go back to work tomorrow, so no narcotics
unless I need them when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion about the
fiber.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2010 5:27 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back.
> I can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel
> woozy but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking
> clearly but still in pain. Repeat.
>
> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today
> the leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have
> eaten a few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got
> down about 3 of them. I keep craving something like a McD double
> cheeseburger. The other day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small
> order of fries. Usually I like the fries but I threw most of them out.
> The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot but now I can't think of what I want to
> eat even though I've eaten so little today and am hungry. Are there
> recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

As long as you can get it down and keep it down and aren't under doctors
orders to not eat it, indulge yourself. If you want a bacon double
cheeseburger, go for it--if you're craving something your body may be
telling that it needs that kind of nutrients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 2:27*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. *I
> can really see how people can get addicted. *You take your dose, feel woozy
> but still some pain. *Take another one. *More woozy and not thinking clearly
> but still in pain. *Repeat.
>
> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. *Today the
> leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. *I have eaten a
> few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3 of
> them. *I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. *The other
> day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. *Usually I like
> the fries but I threw most of them out. *The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
> but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
> today and am hungry. *Are there recovery foods? *I guess like comfort foods?

Ginger ale and toast with peanut buttr and honey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in message

> The important thing is you need to EAT! So eat whatever you can
> tolerate.You need your strength to heal. Make sure you take your
> vitamins and Sheldon is right: I'm assuming Percocets?? Metamucil or
> Miralax is the order of the day. Don't know how long after surgery you
> are. It should get a bit better every day. If the pain is not
> decreasing day by day (you may not notice it's less than yesterday but
> you should notice its less than 3-4 days ago), call your doctor. You
> may have a post op complication.

I'm on antibiotics because my post op last week the dr said it was red and
could become infected. I'm taking them as prescribed. They are the sulfur
type and really stink. I go back Thursday to get the stitches out. Surgery
was just over a week ago. The pain is like someone really fat stepped on
the top of my foot and took a minute to get off of it. It really has
decreased since last week, but cutting back on the pain meds makes me feel
it more. Some say take the meds, we don't need to be in pain. Yet, the
thought of addiction is worse to me.

I developed a nasty staph infection
> after my cancer surgery. I'll spare the details but it took 4-5
> courses of different anti-biotics before it finally got knocked outta
> me. And then I started chemo... I had a hellish 8 months in late 2008-
> early 2009.

I'm so glad you came through it! Are you over the cancer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:12:38 -0400, "Cheryl" >
> wrote:
>
>>Some say take the meds, we don't need to be in pain. Yet, the
>>thought of addiction is worse to me.

> You will heal much better if you are not in pain: studies have shown
> that. The latest research shows that you should try to stay ahead of
> the pain. And the latest studies have also shown that addiction at
> this time, should be very low on the list of your concerns.

Ok. I'll keep that in mind and take the pills as needed.

> Take the pain pills. Sometimes it helps to take a NSAIDS along with
> it..like Ibuprophen.

I wasn't sure if I could take both and hadn't asked my Dr yet. I took
ibuprofen when I went back to work. Didn't help much on it's own.

> It also sounds like you are going back to work almost too quickly. Can
> you take more time off?

I worked two days last week at the office and the other three days at home.
The two days I went in I left early. I had my vacation just prior to the
surgery so things are nuts at work right now. My boss is flexible and is
letting me make the call when I need to stay home or leave early. I do have
to go in tomorrow. Maybe I stopped using the crutches too soon. I felt too
unstable on them. Maybe I stopped icing it too early. I was vigilant doing
the icing for the first 5 days.

> I found I didn't have much appetite after my last surgeries. I think
> it was due to the constipating effects of the medications. Eat what
> you can, of what appeals, and do try to drink plenty of fluids. As
> you are able to (but not before!!) do start backing off the pills.
> However, it is still in the time frame where pain can be an issue, so
> don't try to be brave and stand it.

Ok.

> Are you keeping your foot elevated? That was one thing that really,
> REALLY helped for me. The pain magnified immensely when I didn't keep
> it elevated.

When home I do elevate it. Maybe I've just not understood the severity of
surgery at my age. Sometimes I feel young. Then I don't. Maybe I just
need to accept that things now take longer to heal. Just like Carol told me
about my back. That we hurt when we get older. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I second the recommendation for a high-quality-protein diet
whenever healing is needed.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:01:46 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .

>> If you're going to continue taking all those pain pills you'd best
>> have a couple doses of Metamucil each day too, and drink plenty of
>> water... Hydrocodone is big time constipating. I suggest you don't
>> continue to take those pills, better to bear the pain, have a couple
>> stiff drinks instead.

>I'm very cognizant of the pain pills. I've taken 3 vicodins today and only
>because it hurts so much. I go back to work tomorrow, so no narcotics
>unless I need them when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion about the
>fiber.

Fiber One Honey Clusters is good too:
http://www.fiberone.com/Product/Cereals.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
>but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
>today and am hungry. Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

Eat cheeseburgers for a few days if that is what it takes. You can
eat extra healthy later on and balance it all out.

What do you like to eat when you are sick? Those foods might be
appealing and comforting -- soup, crackers, toast, rice pudding,
smoothies, mashed potatoes.

If nothing is appealing, make a cold plate to leave on the table and
pick at all day -- cheese, crackers, nuts, olives, fruit, crudite.

Drink lots of fluid. Popsicles are hydrating, too!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

> Well, my personal experience with my bunion surgery is that the
> swelling that ensued when I didn't keep it elevated made it incredibly
> painful. I was able to really reduce the discomfort when I kept it
> elevated.

I ate a burger (really didn't taste good at this time) and now am icing it.
You said the elevating helped so I'm going to make a conscience effort to
elevate it more. Also, the surgeon told me to start working on the mobility
earlier this week. It hurts to do that! But that was the whole point to
the surgery, to get mobility back in my joint without pain. I'm trying!
lol

Thank you to all who offered suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

> Okay, I probably should modify that, so as not to be seen as
> dispensing medical advice. Call your doctor tomorrow and ask if that
> is okay: that you have heard that it can really help. If he says no,
> then disregard my advice. Disregard it anyway, until you talk to
> him...)

Understood, and thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> I have no desire for food.
>
> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me.

Try to eat whatever has even the slightest appeal to you and what you
are up to making. If you have someone else doing food prep for you,
that'd be even better.

Fruit shake? Ice cream shake? Buttered toast and coffee? Shicken
soup? Buttered noodles? Tomato soup and crackers? Good luck.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> I have no desire for food.
>>
>> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me.

> Try to eat whatever has even the slightest appeal to you and what you
> are up to making. If you have someone else doing food prep for you,
> that'd be even better.
>
> Fruit shake? Ice cream shake? Buttered toast and coffee? Shicken
> soup? Buttered noodles? Tomato soup and crackers? Good luck.

Thanks! I think I'm good for today. Even my cheeseburger didn't taste good
to me. It's down and digesting. What a strange side effect to surgery or
pain meds.

> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
> St. Pectina of Jella
> "Always in a jam, never in a stew;
> sometimes in a pickle."
> Where are my pearls, Honey?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 6:12*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in message

> > The important thing is you need to EAT! So eat whatever you can
> > tolerate.You need your strength to heal. Make sure you take your
> > vitamins and Sheldon is right: I'm assuming Percocets?? Metamucil or
> > Miralax is the order of the day. Don't know how long after surgery you
> > are. It should get a bit better every day. If the pain is not
> > decreasing day by day (you may not notice it's less than yesterday but
> > you should notice its less than 3-4 days ago), call your doctor. You
> > may have a post op complication.

> I'm on antibiotics because my post op last week the dr said it was red and
> could become infected. *I'm taking them as prescribed. *They are the sulfur
> type and really stink. *I go back Thursday to get the stitches out. *Surgery
> was just over a week ago. *The pain is like someone really fat stepped on
> the top of my foot and took a minute to get off of it. *It really has
> decreased since last week, but cutting back on the pain meds makes me feel
> it more. *Some say take the meds, we don't need to be in pain. *Yet, the
> thought of addiction is worse to me.
>
> I developed a nasty staph infection
>
> > after my cancer surgery. I'll spare the details but it took 4-5
> > courses of different anti-biotics before it finally got knocked outta
> > me. And then I started chemo... I had a hellish 8 months in late 2008-
> > early 2009.

> I'm so glad you came through it! *Are you over the cancer?

Yes, thankfully. and thank you for asking!
Almost 15 months past the end of chemo. My hair came back thicker than
before (small favor!) and I'm feeling pretty good but the steroids as
well as the reliance on carby foods during chemo (so much of what I
normally ate wasn't well tolerated. there were days when all i wanted
was potatoes. other days, all I craved was beef, grapefruit, or eggs,
or spinach. I ate whatever I could tolerate) caused me to put back all
of the weight I had lost and then some. So now I'm back on Weight
Watchers and trying to take it off again. With all the changes my body
went thru between the cancer, the effect on my metabolism of losing
the diseased organs, and the chemo/radiation, it's not coming off as
easily as it did 5 years ago. (not to mention, I'm 5 years older!)

The one thing they told me after surgery was take the pain meds. You
heal faster when your body can focus on healing rather than coping
with pain. And also when you are well-nourished. Do everything the
docs tell you to do. Ice. Elevate, eat whatever you can tolerate and
don't worry about gaining weight right now, your body needs to get
over the shock of the surgery. If you are craving hamburgers, have
hamburgers. Try to take your vitamins.. eat as much fruits and veggies
as you can and if you're going to eat burger king, just try to cut
back on fat elsewhere. it's not going to kill you to eat burger king
for 2 weeks if that's what your body is craving, as long as you get
back to your usual "diet" (and I mean that in the broadest meaning of
the word, diet meaning what you eat on a regular basis, not
necessarily to lose weight), there will be no long term harm done.

Most important, take cues from your body and give it what it needs. If
you're tired, sleep. If you're hungry for Burger King, have someone
bring you a whopper! If you are in pain, take a pain pill.

Good luck to you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. I
>can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel woozy
>but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking
>clearly but still in pain. Repeat.
>
> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today
> the leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have
> eaten a few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down
> about 3 of them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger.
> The other day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries.
> Usually I like the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1
> cheeseburger hit the spot but now I can't think of what I want to eat even
> though I've eaten so little today and am hungry. Are there recovery
> foods? I guess like comfort foods?

If you can high fiber foods - the drugs if narcotic based will slow down
your system greatly. Some doctors recommend a stool softener - check with
your doctor.

If you like them milk shakes are both soothing and tasty.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

>If you can high fiber foods - the drugs if narcotic based will slow down
>your system greatly. Some doctors recommend a stool softener - check with
>your doctor.

I recommend Metamucil (or the generic equivalent), which now comes in
capsules. Six capsules three times a day will counteract the effect
of the Norco/Vicodin/etc. and you are spared the hassel of gulping
down a slurry of fiber.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 5:12*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in message

> > The important thing is you need to EAT! So eat whatever you can
> > tolerate.You need your strength to heal. Make sure you take your
> > vitamins and Sheldon is right: I'm assuming Percocets?? Metamucil or
> > Miralax is the order of the day. Don't know how long after surgery you
> > are. It should get a bit better every day. If the pain is not
> > decreasing day by day (you may not notice it's less than yesterday but
> > you should notice its less than 3-4 days ago), call your doctor. You
> > may have a post op complication.

> I'm on antibiotics because my post op last week the dr said it was red and
> could become infected. *I'm taking them as prescribed. *They are the sulfur
> type and really stink. *I go back Thursday to get the stitches out. *Surgery
> was just over a week ago. *The pain is like someone really fat stepped on
> the top of my foot and took a minute to get off of it. *It really has
> decreased since last week, but cutting back on the pain meds makes me feel
> it more. *Some say take the meds, we don't need to be in pain. *Yet, the
> thought of addiction is worse to me.

If you are taking pain meds for pain, your chances of becoming
addicted are virtually nil. Just stop taking them when you don't have
any more pain. It's if you keep taking them when you don't have any
more pain that will cause you to become addicted.

This is a common fear of people who take opiates for pain relief, but
it's not a well founded fear at all.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. I
> can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel woozy
> but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking clearly
> but still in pain. Repeat.
>
> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today the
> leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have eaten a
> few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3 of
> them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. The other
> day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. Usually I like
> the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
> but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
> today and am hungry. Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

Lordy girl... I'd eat whatever you want and can tolerate? Mac and
cheese? Chicken soup? Recovery foods are most often stuff like Jello
and soups, but what appeals?
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

> As long as you can get it down and keep it down and aren't under doctors
> orders to not eat it, indulge yourself. If you want a bacon double
> cheeseburger, go for it--if you're craving something your body may be
> telling that it needs that kind of nutrients.

My body tells me it has a severe lack of chocolate.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. I
>can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel woozy
>but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking
>clearly but still in pain. Repeat.
>
> I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today
> the leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have
> eaten a few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down
> about 3 of them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger.
> The other day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries.
> Usually I like the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1
> cheeseburger hit the spot but now I can't think of what I want to eat even
> though I've eaten so little today and am hungry. Are there recovery
> foods? I guess like comfort foods?

Depends on what you think of as "comfort" food. For me it's chicken noodle
soup and saltines

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 9:59*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Dimitri > wrote:
> >If you can high fiber foods - the drugs if narcotic based will slow down
> >your system greatly. Some doctors recommend a stool softener - check with
> >your doctor.

> I recommend Metamucil (or the generic equivalent), which now comes in
> capsules. *Six capsules three times a day will counteract the effect
> of the Norco/Vicodin/etc. and you are spared the hassel of gulping
> down a slurry of fiber.
>
> Steve

In the hospital the standard laxative regimen seems to be Sennakot and
dulcolax. And plenty of fluids, and exercise as tolerated. Getting up
and moving helps a lot too.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> > I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today
> > the leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have
> > eaten a few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down
> > about 3 of them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger.
> > The other day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries.
> > Usually I like the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1
> > cheeseburger hit the spot but now I can't think of what I want to eat even
> > though I've eaten so little today and am hungry. Are there recovery
> > foods? I guess like comfort foods?

I'd lay off the processed junk food ; only active fit people in
perfect health can afford to eat that :-)

> Depends on what you think of as "comfort" food. For me it's chicken noodle
> soup and saltines

The oldfashioned "recovery diet" for invalids and post op, was
simple fresh food that's very light and easy to digest, such as
chicken, chicken broth, light vegetable soups, toast, steamed fish,
lightly steamed veg, milk puddings, egg dishes. Steamed or baked rather
than fried. Also, instead of eating 2 or three times a day, smaller
more frequent snack meals might be easier. They don't come much smaller
than a one-egg omelette with a chopped cherry tomato and parsley.

Slices of fresh raw pineapple or mango are tempting and tasty.

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:42:17 -0400, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>> Protein and water is best.

I frequently go through the same thing (on a pain management regimen)
when I'm coming off an IBD flareup. One thing that works for me is
ramen... some of the better ones on the market. For some reason, the
soy seems to be settling and yet tasty, and the noodles are OK on the
system. I add slices of hard boiled eggs to the noodles and sometimes
a little soy protein powder.

One brand I like is Best Cook, beef ball flavor. Nine gm of protein
per bowl, and one sliced HB egg adds another 5.

Otherwise, I just use heated Swanson chicken broth or similar chicken
stock, with a little rice noodle (cooks instantly), with soy and
sliced scallion, maybe a shake of freeze dried onion from the pantry.

Also good for some people is warmed beef consomme.

Areas of concern: salt content, and using care with the pepper oil
packets in the instant ramen products.

HTH

ALex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do you have anyone who could make you some Chicken soup? You would
have the meat to munch on or put on a salad, or in a sandwich, and the
wonderful rich broth to drink. That is one of my ultimate comfort
foods. Here is how I make mine:

whole chicken
dehydrated, or fresh soup greens
good sized onion cut up
1 - 3 chicken boullion cubes
garlic powder or a couple of fresh minced cloves
Salt & Pepper - go easy on the salt til the end as the bouillion cubes
are salty

Add all the above to a stockpot 1/2 full of water, or part chicken
stock. Bring to boil, then simmer an hour. Debone and serve with egg
noodles, or rice, your preference, or eat the meat. ( Save and cut up
the skins for the dog or cat. Our dogs start bothering me and hanging
out in the kitchen as soon as they smell it cooking).

And take your pain meds, that's why you have them.
Feel better soon, Nan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2010 12:31 PM, Nan wrote:
> Do you have anyone who could make you some Chicken soup? You would
> have the meat to munch on or put on a salad, or in a sandwich, and the
> wonderful rich broth to drink. That is one of my ultimate comfort
> foods. Here is how I make mine:
>

> whole chicken
> dehydrated, or fresh soup greens
> good sized onion cut up
> 1 - 3 chicken boullion cubes
> garlic powder or a couple of fresh minced cloves
> Salt& Pepper - go easy on the salt til the end as the bouillion cubes
> are salty
>
> Add all the above to a stockpot 1/2 full of water, or part chicken
> stock. Bring to boil, then simmer an hour. Debone and serve with egg
> noodles, or rice, your preference, or eat the meat.

Sounds good. I would suggest using Tone's Chicken Base instead of the
bullion cubes. Not as salty and much more flavor. We get it at Sam's Club.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I had the shrimp last night because nothing else appealed to me. Today the
>leftovers didn't appeal to me and nothing else has either. I have eaten a
>few corn chips, and tried to eat the leftover shrimp but got down about 3 of
>them. I keep craving something like a McD double cheeseburger. The other
>day I got the one on the $1 menu and a small order of fries. Usually I like
>the fries but I threw most of them out. The $1 cheeseburger hit the spot
>but now I can't think of what I want to eat even though I've eaten so little
>today and am hungry. Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

Another thought.... I agree about protein hunger. Protein intake is
important during convalescence/rehab. If you can't handle whole eggs
in soup, consider tofu as an alternate. Or whisk in some egg-whites
from the dairy/egg cooler in your local market. Egg whites can also be
blended in your favorite smoothie, as can protein powder.

One perhaps surprising thing is an old favorite - split-pea soup. A
typical bowl of soup contains protein in the amount of some 45 grams.
If there is ham in the soup, even more. MDR is about 60 gms for an
adult per day, based on a 2000 calorie intake, IIRC.

Good luck and get well soon.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:57:34 -0700 (PDT), "Catmandy (Sheryl)"
> wrote:

>On Jul 25, 5:49*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:27:38 -0400, "Cheryl" >
>> wrote:

>> If you're going to continue taking all those pain pills you'd best
>> have a couple doses of Metamucil each day too, and drink plenty of
>> water... Hydrocodone is big time constipating. *I suggest you don't
>> continue to take those pills, better to bear the pain, have a couple
>> stiff drinks instead.

>The important thing is you need to EAT! So eat whatever you can
>tolerate.You need your strength to heal. Make sure you take your
>vitamins and Sheldon is right: I'm assuming Percocets?? Metamucil or
>Miralax is the order of the day. Don't know how long after surgery you

Take care... Metamucil contains psyllium seed, which is a gas producer
in some people. More gentle is Citricel, which does the same thing
with microcrystallized cellulose but without the gas.

But she's right. Nutrition is #1!

MANGIA!

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:
>
>>If you can high fiber foods - the drugs if narcotic based will slow down
>>your system greatly. Some doctors recommend a stool softener - check with
>>your doctor.

> I recommend Metamucil (or the generic equivalent), which now comes in
> capsules. Six capsules three times a day will counteract the effect
> of the Norco/Vicodin/etc. and you are spared the hassel of gulping
> down a slurry of fiber.

Thanks. Never saw pill form, but I will get some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> This is a common fear of people who take opiates for pain relief, but
> it's not a well founded fear at all.

I wonder why so many doctors are reluctant to prescribe them? My dentist
used to only give me Motrin prescription strength even when it was oral
surgery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote

>> I recommend Metamucil (or the generic equivalent), which now comes in
>> capsules. Six capsules three times a day will counteract the effect
>> of the Norco/Vicodin/etc. and you are spared the hassel of gulping
>> down a slurry of fiber.

> Thanks. Never saw pill form, but I will get some.

I hope you're feeling better today, Cheryl.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> I have no desire for food. Maybe it's the pain meds and I've cut back. I
>> can really see how people can get addicted. You take your dose, feel
>> woozy
>> but still some pain. Take another one. More woozy and not thinking
>> clearly
>> but still in pain. Repeat.

> Until I was able to use the On-Q on my last c-section, I totally got
> that addiction tendency. I would find myself, toward the end, wanting
> to take the pills even though I didn't really need them. That's when
> I'd put the pills away.

How many of your 6 were born by c-section? If that is too personal, please
forgive me.

>> Are there recovery foods? I guess like comfort foods?

> I think it depends on what the surgery was. I had no food
> restrictions, so I just ate what people made, what I ordered and what
> tasted good to me. We'd get fish and chips, Chinese food or teriyaki,
> steak sandwiches, anything that gave me heartburn while pregnant.
> People would bring over enchiladas, chicken and rice casseroles, salmon
> and potatoes, beef stew, whatever and we'd eat it gratefully because it
> was a meal we didn't have to cook. :-)

That was very nice of everyone to help you all out like that during your
recovery. Great suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message

> A good nurse is a godsend! We've had almost all wonderful nurses.
> We've had two that were so awful they still stand out in memory. One
> who didn't tell the doctor what we had asked to be done, fortunately our
> friend who was a med student was there and made sure he knew what we had
> requested. He had no problem with it. The second was on our last day
> in the hospital for the most recent baby. I have a high pain tolerance.
> I usually don't get medication until too late, because I don't feel like
> I need it, so when I ask for it, you can be sure I do need it. I have
> learned, though, with the surgeries to take the pain meds on schedule in
> the first few days. So, I called the nurse to get me my medicine. An
> hour went by with nothing. I called again, this time in pain. Still
> nothing for a good half hour. Rich went to the nurses station and
> basically said that his wife had been without pain medication for an
> hour and a half past when I was supposed to get it and that I was a
> stoic person so for me to say that I was in pain meant it, and to get
> the pain meds to me ASAP. They still took another 30 - 45 minutes to
> bring them to me. They wouldn't give them to him to bring to me because
> of lawsuits or whatever.
>
> We had been cleared to go home that day, early in the morning, by our
> doctor. This nurse wouldn't come to get our paperwork so I could leave.
> Other nurses commented on it, why were we still there, we should be
> home, etc. We agreed with wry smiles. We had everything packed up and
> I told Rich to just start taking our things to the car to get her
> attention. Over four hours after we were cleared to go home, she shows
> up and makes some snarky comments about needing our paperwork. I told
> her it had been done and we were waiting for her. Then she said she
> couldn't let me go home until she saw my lactation chart. On our sixth
> baby. All of whom had been nursed for a year or more. And the
> lactation consultants came in to say that they could learn something
> from me and to give them a call if I had any trouble/questions. So, I
> looked her square in the eye and said I hadn't filled it out because I
> knew what to look for in a baby who was having problems nursing, having
> raised five other children past their first year of life just fine. I
> think she realized I was annoyed at that point. We finally achieved
> escape velocity about five or six hours after we'd been given the go
> ahead to leave.

Nurse from hell experience, and I can relate to the "I need pain meds and I
need them now" thinking. I never take more than ibuprofen. I hope to never
meet a nurse like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message

Are there recovery
>> > foods? I guess like comfort foods?

> I'd lay off the processed junk food ; only active fit people in
> perfect health can afford to eat that :-)

LOL! True.

> The oldfashioned "recovery diet" for invalids and post op, was
> simple fresh food that's very light and easy to digest, such as
> chicken, chicken broth, light vegetable soups, toast, steamed fish,
> lightly steamed veg, milk puddings, egg dishes. Steamed or baked rather
> than fried. Also, instead of eating 2 or three times a day, smaller
> more frequent snack meals might be easier. They don't come much smaller
> than a one-egg omelette with a chopped cherry tomato and parsley.
>
> Slices of fresh raw pineapple or mango are tempting and tasty.

Very good suggestions. Maybe it was the full sized meals I couldn't deal
with. I know I couldn't get through a normal meal, and most would be wasted
in the trash. Today is a little better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nan" > wrote in message
> Do you have anyone who could make you some Chicken soup? You would
> have the meat to munch on or put on a salad, or in a sandwich, and the
> wonderful rich broth to drink. That is one of my ultimate comfort
> foods. Here is how I make mine:
>

> whole chicken
> dehydrated, or fresh soup greens
> good sized onion cut up
> 1 - 3 chicken boullion cubes
> garlic powder or a couple of fresh minced cloves
> Salt & Pepper - go easy on the salt til the end as the bouillion cubes
> are salty
>
> Add all the above to a stockpot 1/2 full of water, or part chicken
> stock. Bring to boil, then simmer an hour. Debone and serve with egg
> noodles, or rice, your preference, or eat the meat. ( Save and cut up
> the skins for the dog or cat. Our dogs start bothering me and hanging
> out in the kitchen as soon as they smell it cooking).
>

> And take your pain meds, that's why you have them.
> Feel better soon, Nan

Thank you! You know, all the suggestions for broth or soup really do appeal
to me. I think just plain broth with maybe a little rice or noodles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

To all of you who replied but I didn't respond, please know that I read each
and every one, and you have my heartfelt thanks for your reply.

Rediscovered alcohol addiction recovery technique Samuel Harris Wine 5 02-03-2013 04:53 PM
"As for wine Korea has avoided pricey wines considering that theobjective of the summit is to deal with recovery from the global economic crisis." aesthete8 Wine 0 06-11-2010 05:26 AM
low-tech Advanced Meat Recovery? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 05-03-2007 10:49 AM
Surgery jmcquown General Cooking 28 21-06-2004 11:32 PM
rec.food.equipment,alt.culture.epirus,alt.conspiracy.cabal,alt.amiga.slip,alt.abuse-recovery . Cooking Equipment 0 17-06-2004 12:05 PM