Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Disappointing pull

All,

After reading everyone's comments here and in a BBQ recipe book, two
weeks ago I bought 2 6 1/2lb Boston butts for pulled pork. The meat
looked really good when I picked it up from the meat shop - just a
thin layer of fat on one side. I made up a rub of Spanish paprika,
brown sugar, rosemary, salt, chili powder, and I don't remember what
else, rubbed it on both, covered with plastic wrap, and let it sit in
the refrigerator overnight.

The next day, I started my smoker, put in a water pan under the butts,
put a remote thermometer into one of them, let the smoker take care of
the rest. I think I added charcoal 6 times over the course of the
day, and I had the thermometer set to go off when the internal temp
hit 165 which took about 5 hours. I also used two mesquite chip smoke
packets. When I took them off the smoker, they smelled great and
looked wonderful. Then I wrapped them up in foil and let them sit for
about an hour.

That's when the disappointment started. I was expecting the meat to
just fall apart with a little help from a fork. Instead, it took my
wife and me close to 45 minutes to pull both of the butts. They
tasted good, but it was anything but mouth-watering-tender. We served
it on buns with a little drizzle of BBQ sauce and some home-made Cole
slaw. No one went away hungry, but I went away pretty unhappy.

As far as I know, I made the right choice for the meat and a good
choice for the rub. That leaves me and the smoker, and I'm pretty
sure the problem wasn't the smoker. So, what would make two really
good-looking pieces of meat turn out tough and hard to pull?

Thanks,
Tim
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tim" > wrote in message
> All,
>
> After reading everyone's comments here and in a BBQ recipe book, two
> weeks ago I bought 2 6 1/2lb Boston butts for pulled pork. The meat
> looked really good when I picked it up from the meat shop - just a
> thin layer of fat on one side. I made up a rub of Spanish paprika,
> brown sugar, rosemary, salt, chili powder, and I don't remember what
> else, rubbed it on both, covered with plastic wrap, and let it sit in
> the refrigerator overnight.
>
> The next day, I started my smoker, put in a water pan under the butts,
> put a remote thermometer into one of them, let the smoker take care of
> the rest. I think I added charcoal 6 times over the course of the
> day, and I had the thermometer set to go off when the internal temp
> hit 165 which took about 5 hours. I also used two mesquite chip smoke
> packets. When I took them off the smoker, they smelled great and
> looked wonderful. Then I wrapped them up in foil and let them sit for
> about an hour.
>
> That's when the disappointment started. I was expecting the meat to
> just fall apart with a little help from a fork. Instead, it took my
> wife and me close to 45 minutes to pull both of the butts. They
> tasted good, but it was anything but mouth-watering-tender. We served
> it on buns with a little drizzle of BBQ sauce and some home-made Cole
> slaw. No one went away hungry, but I went away pretty unhappy.
>
> As far as I know, I made the right choice for the meat and a good
> choice for the rub. That leaves me and the smoker, and I'm pretty
> sure the problem wasn't the smoker. So, what would make two really
> good-looking pieces of meat turn out tough and hard to pull?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Next time wait until the internal reaches 190. Otherwise, your technique
sounded right on.

BTW: Lose the water in the pan, fill it with clean sand, and cover with
aluminum foil foir easy clean up

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> So, what would make two really
> good-looking pieces of meat turn out tough and hard to pull?

You didn't cook them to the right temperature. They need to get to at
least 185F.

They will stay at 165F for a couple hours then the temp will start to rise
again. You can finish them in a hotter (300F) oven after they hit 167 or so.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
. com...

>> As far as I know, I made the right choice for the meat and a good
>> choice for the rub. That leaves me and the smoker, and I'm pretty
>> sure the problem wasn't the smoker. So, what would make two really
>> good-looking pieces of meat turn out tough and hard to pull?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

> Next time wait until the internal reaches 190. Otherwise, your technique
> sounded right on.

Listen to Shawn he's got The right answer!

Temperature, Remember heating water uses energy, the ambient humidity and
the fat in pork is usually enough to keep the meat moist. If not you'll get
a very very tasty bark.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> All,
>
> After reading everyone's comments here and in a BBQ recipe book, two
> weeks ago I bought 2 6 1/2lb Boston butts for pulled pork. The meat
> looked really good when I picked it up from the meat shop - just a
> thin layer of fat on one side. I made up a rub of Spanish paprika,
> brown sugar, rosemary, salt, chili powder, and I don't remember what
> else, rubbed it on both, covered with plastic wrap, and let it sit in
> the refrigerator overnight.
>
> The next day, I started my smoker, put in a water pan under the butts,
> put a remote thermometer into one of them, let the smoker take care of
> the rest. I think I added charcoal 6 times over the course of the
> day, and I had the thermometer set to go off when the internal temp
> hit 165 which took about 5 hours. I also used two mesquite chip smoke
> packets. When I took them off the smoker, they smelled great and
> looked wonderful. Then I wrapped them up in foil and let them sit for
> about an hour.

<snip>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Like others here have stated the temp needs to hit about 190. I do not know why
so many books say 165, but they do and it just does not work. Also if you have
bone in try twisting the bone. If it twists easily you know the temp is where it
should be.

Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chris wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> After reading everyone's comments here and in a BBQ recipe book, two
>> weeks ago I bought 2 6 1/2lb Boston butts for pulled pork. The meat
>> looked really good when I picked it up from the meat shop - just a
>> thin layer of fat on one side. I made up a rub of Spanish paprika,
>> brown sugar, rosemary, salt, chili powder, and I don't remember what
>> else, rubbed it on both, covered with plastic wrap, and let it sit in
>> the refrigerator overnight.
>>
>> The next day, I started my smoker, put in a water pan under the butts,
>> put a remote thermometer into one of them, let the smoker take care of
>> the rest. I think I added charcoal 6 times over the course of the
>> day, and I had the thermometer set to go off when the internal temp
>> hit 165 which took about 5 hours. I also used two mesquite chip smoke
>> packets. When I took them off the smoker, they smelled great and
>> looked wonderful. Then I wrapped them up in foil and let them sit for
>> about an hour.

> <snip>
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

> Like others here have stated the temp needs to hit about 190. I do not
> know why so many books say 165, but they do and it just does not work.
> Also if you have bone in try twisting the bone. If it twists easily you
> know the temp is where it should be.
>
> Chris

165 sounds like the recommended temperature that pork is supposed to be
cooked to to ensure it is safe to eat (this is a debatable subject).
pork will not pull into strands at that temperature however
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:23:52 -0700 (PDT), Tim >
wrote:

> had the thermometer set to go off when the internal temp
>hit 165 which took about 5 hours.

That is the minimum internal temperature for pork to be safe. At that
temperature I think that it would have to be sliced and chopped. Ant
tough.

I think that 185-195 is more appropriate for pulling. I push on it
with a fork and when it comes apart it is done. Then I tent it for
half an hour or so and then pull it.

Jerry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 12, 10:00*am, Jerry Osage > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:23:52 -0700 (PDT), Tim >
> wrote:
>
> > had the thermometer set to go off when the internal temp
> >hit 165 which took about 5 hours.

> That is the minimum internal temperature for pork to be safe. At that
> temperature I think that it would have to be sliced and chopped. Ant
> tough.
>
> *I think that 185-195 is more appropriate for pulling. *I push on it
> with a fork and when it comes apart it is done. Then I tent it for
> half an hour or so and then pull it.
>
> Jerry

I like 195+ as more fat is rendered with the extra time and heat. I've
often pulled off pieces at 210F and they've been just fine, but with
less fatty globules left. Dryness is NOT an issue with this cut.

Really suprised that any BBQ book would reccomend 165. Everything I'd
always read always goes on about how they hold @170F before getting to
the desired temp. Then again, I've never purchased or read any cook
book for making BBQ, I mean what's the point? Meat + heat/smoke +
time, pretty simple.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks, everyone, for all of the comments. I am surprised that I had
not read that the internal temp should be that high. I had plenty of
time, and could have waited for the temp to go up another 25 degrees
before taking the butts off the smoker. I will certainly keep that in
mind, and try again.

There were bones in both pieces, but they didn't go all the way
through. So I would not have been able to wiggle it to see how easily
they moved in the meat.

Good suggestions! I'm getting hungry again ...

Thanks!
Tim

On Jun 12, 1:17*pm, Duwop > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 10:00*am, Jerry Osage > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:23:52 -0700 (PDT), Tim >
> > wrote:

> > > had the thermometer set to go off when the internal temp
> > >hit 165 which took about 5 hours.

> > That is the minimum internal temperature for pork to be safe. At that
> > temperature I think that it would have to be sliced and chopped. Ant
> > tough.

> > *I think that 185-195 is more appropriate for pulling. *I push on it
> > with a fork and when it comes apart it is done. Then I tent it for
> > half an hour or so and then pull it.

> > Jerry

> I like 195+ as more fat is rendered with the extra time and heat. I've
> often pulled off pieces at 210F and they've been just fine, but with
> less fatty globules left. Dryness is NOT an issue with this cut.
>
> Really suprised that any BBQ book would reccomend 165. Everything I'd
> always read always goes on about how they hold @170F before getting to
> the desired temp. Then again, I've never purchased or read any cook
> book for making BBQ, I mean what's the point? Meat + heat/smoke +
> time, pretty simple.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> Thanks, everyone, for all of the comments. I am surprised that I had
> not read that the internal temp should be that high. I had plenty of
> time, and could have waited for the temp to go up another 25 degrees
> before taking the butts off the smoker. I will certainly keep that in
> mind, and try again.
>
> There were bones in both pieces, but they didn't go all the way
> through. So I would not have been able to wiggle it to see how easily
> they moved in the meat.
>
> Good suggestions! I'm getting hungry again ...

Perhaps this will help you. I'm assuming you haven't seen it because you
said you've never seen a recommendation of a 185+F internal temp. Great
resource.... and it's FREE :-0
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

--
Dave