Jesse Skeens

Default How long does it take to pull pork?

Took me about an hour to do a 7#'r tonight. Took at off at around 170
but when I let it rest for 20 min and checked again it showed 200!
Any idea how it jumped up this fast? Part of it was pretty tender and
pulled easily. But overall it seems like it should have come apart
much quicker.

Tastes great though.

Jesse
Jack Curry

Jesse Skeens wrote:
> Took me about an hour to do a 7#'r tonight. Took at off at around 170
> but when I let it rest for 20 min and checked again it showed 200!
> Any idea how it jumped up this fast? Part of it was pretty tender and
> pulled easily. But overall it seems like it should have come apart
> much quicker.
>
> Tastes great though.
>
> Jesse

Takes me about 3 minutes to pull a done butt. Maybe 5, if I sample along
the way (which I do). Your's was taken off too early - it needs to be 190
before it comes off the cooker.

Jack Curry

BOB

Jack Curry wrote:
> Jesse Skeens wrote:
>> Took me about an hour to do a 7#'r tonight. Took at off at around 170
>> but when I let it rest for 20 min and checked again it showed 200!
>> Any idea how it jumped up this fast? Part of it was pretty tender and
>> pulled easily. But overall it seems like it should have come apart
>> much quicker.
>>
>> Tastes great though.
>>
>> Jesse

> Takes me about 3 minutes to pull a done butt. Maybe 5, if I sample along
> the way (which I do). Your's was taken off too early - it needs to be 190
> before it comes off the cooker.
>
> Jack Curry

But I bet Jesse coulda had some pretty good "chopped" pork if he'd used the
knife!
I also prefer to go to about 195 internal (on the grill) and let it rest
afterwards. Pulls in seconds (minutes?), and I'm usually too full for a
sandwich for a couple of hours from all the quality control.

BOB

L. Cook

and I'm usually too full for a
> sandwich for a couple of hours from all the quality control.
>
> BOB

You must sample and eat while you cook. It's a law.

Jesse Skeens

" BOB" > wrote in message >...
> Jack Curry wrote:
> > Jesse Skeens wrote:
> >> Took me about an hour to do a 7#'r tonight. Took at off at around 170
> >> but when I let it rest for 20 min and checked again it showed 200!
> >> Any idea how it jumped up this fast? Part of it was pretty tender and
> >> pulled easily. But overall it seems like it should have come apart
> >> much quicker.
> >>
> >> Tastes great though.
> >>
> >> Jesse

> > Takes me about 3 minutes to pull a done butt. Maybe 5, if I sample along
> > the way (which I do). Your's was taken off too early - it needs to be 190
> > before it comes off the cooker.
> >
> > Jack Curry

> But I bet Jesse coulda had some pretty good "chopped" pork if he'd used the
> knife!
> I also prefer to go to about 195 internal (on the grill) and let it rest
> afterwards. Pulls in seconds (minutes?), and I'm usually too full for a
> sandwich for a couple of hours from all the quality control.
>
> BOB

I did use a knife on a few parts. I can't belive it only takes 5
minutes to pull a full one. I'm deffinatly doing it wrong. Do you
guys just put a therm in it and keep checking that reading? I don't
want to keep poking holes in it to let the juices out.

Jesse
frohe

Jesse Skeens wrote:
> I did use a knife on a few parts. I can't belive it only takes 5
> minutes to pull a full one. I'm deffinatly doing it wrong.

Jesse - if ya had to use a knife on a few parts, ya didn't cook it to
190°F+.

> Do you
> guys just put a therm in it and keep checking that reading? I don't
> want to keep poking holes in it to let the juices out.

Most folks use a single probe electronic therm. Just stick it once
and let things be til ya see 190°F+.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Jesse Skeens

"frohe" > wrote in message >...
> Jesse Skeens wrote:
> > I did use a knife on a few parts. I can't belive it only takes 5
> > minutes to pull a full one. I'm deffinatly doing it wrong.

> Jesse - if ya had to use a knife on a few parts, ya didn't cook it to
> 190°F+.
>
> > Do you
> > guys just put a therm in it and keep checking that reading? I don't
> > want to keep poking holes in it to let the juices out.

> Most folks use a single probe electronic therm. Just stick it once
> and let things be til ya see 190°F+.

Thanks guys. Never had any idea that the bone should turn, wow that
must be tender. What do you guys like to keep your cooking temp at?
From reading here I've seen everything from 225-300.

Anyways the wife and in laws thought it was great. Can't wait to
serve them the real tender stuff.

Jesse
M&M

Hard to snip this one without losing the context, so bear with me okay?

On 6-Jul-2004, (Jesse Skeens) wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > Jack Curry wrote:

Methinks you had your probe in the wrong place. Meat rises 15° to maybe
20°, but not to 30°.

> > > Takes me about 3 minutes to pull a done butt. Maybe 5, if I sample
> > > along
> > > the way (which I do). Your's was taken off too early - it needs to be
> > > 190
> > > before it comes off the cooker.
> > >
> > > Jack Curry

> > But I bet Jesse coulda had some pretty good "chopped" pork if he'd used
> > the
> > knife!
> > I also prefer to go to about 195 internal (on the grill) and let it rest
> > afterwards. Pulls in seconds (minutes?), and I'm usually too full for a
> > sandwich for a couple of hours from all the quality control.
> >
> > BOB

> I did use a knife on a few parts. I can't belive it only takes 5
> minutes to pull a full one. I'm deffinatly doing it wrong. Do you
> guys just put a therm in it and keep checking that reading? I don't
> want to keep poking holes in it to let the juices out.
>
> Jesse

Jesse, believe it. 190° and above, it will pull in your bare hands. Just
be sure that it really is at 190°. There's some variation, but 190° is
usually safe. You won't dry it out much at 195° or even 200°.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jack Curry

"Jesse Skeens" > wrote in message
om...
> "frohe" > wrote in message

> > Jesse Skeens wrote:
> > > I did use a knife on a few parts. I can't belive it only takes 5
> > > minutes to pull a full one. I'm deffinatly doing it wrong.

> > Jesse - if ya had to use a knife on a few parts, ya didn't cook it to
> > 190°F+.
> >
> > > Do you
> > > guys just put a therm in it and keep checking that reading? I don't
> > > want to keep poking holes in it to let the juices out.

> > Most folks use a single probe electronic therm. Just stick it once
> > and let things be til ya see 190°F+.

> Thanks guys. Never had any idea that the bone should turn, wow that
> must be tender. What do you guys like to keep your cooking temp at?
> From reading here I've seen everything from 225-300.
>
> Anyways the wife and in laws thought it was great. Can't wait to
> serve them the real tender stuff.
>
> Jesse

Anywhere from 220-300 is gonna work fine.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

"Jesse Skeens" > wrote in message
om...
> "frohe" > wrote in message

> > Jesse Skeens wrote:
> > > I did use a knife on a few parts. I can't belive it only takes 5
> > > minutes to pull a full one. I'm deffinatly doing it wrong.

> > Jesse - if ya had to use a knife on a few parts, ya didn't cook it to
> > 190°F+.
> >
> > > Do you
> > > guys just put a therm in it and keep checking that reading? I don't
> > > want to keep poking holes in it to let the juices out.

> > Most folks use a single probe electronic therm. Just stick it once
> > and let things be til ya see 190°F+.

> Thanks guys. Never had any idea that the bone should turn, wow that
> must be tender. What do you guys like to keep your cooking temp at?
> From reading here I've seen everything from 225-300.
>
> Anyways the wife and in laws thought it was great. Can't wait to
> serve them the real tender stuff.
>
> Jesse

Anywhere from 220-300 is gonna work fine.

Jack Curry

Reg

Jesse Skeens wrote:

> Where would this wrong place be? I wasnt hitting the bone the first
> time but maybe I wasn't far enough in the second time also. In other
> words where do I need to be seeing 190 at?

You want the tip of your probe to be

- As close to geometric center of the piece as possible
- not touching bone
- in contact with lean, not fat

Reg

Jesse Skeens wrote:

> Where would this wrong place be? I wasnt hitting the bone the first
> time but maybe I wasn't far enough in the second time also. In other
> words where do I need to be seeing 190 at?

You want the tip of your probe to be

- As close to geometric center of the piece as possible
- not touching bone
- in contact with lean, not fat

Tyler Hopper

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news
> Jesse Skeens wrote:
> > Took me about an hour to do a 7#'r tonight. Took at off at around 170
> > but when I let it rest for 20 min and checked again it showed 200!
> > Any idea how it jumped up this fast? Part of it was pretty tender and
> > pulled easily. But overall it seems like it should have come apart
> > much quicker.
> >
> > Tastes great though.
> >
> > Jesse

> Takes me about 3 minutes to pull a done butt. Maybe 5, if I sample along
> the way (which I do). Your's was taken off too early - it needs to be 190
> before it comes off the cooker.
>
> Jack Curry

What he said.

.....and I would add it needs to be 190 throughout. In other words, check several
places before you pull it. A 1/2 hr. +/- generally won't hurt a butt.

M&M

(Jesse Skeens) wrote:

> [...]

<snip again>

> > > Where would this wrong place be? I wasnt hitting the bone the first
> > > time but maybe I wasn't far enough in the second time also. In other
> > > words where do I need to be seeing 190 at?
> > >
> > > Jesse

> > Good question Jesse. Of course it's a no brainer to say that the probe
> > tip should be in the center of the thickest part of the meat. You didn't
> > need anybody to tell you that. But how do you know that's where it is?
> > Hold your probe next to the meat first and place your finger or thumb
> > on the probe at the point that will stop it when it is halfway through
> > the
> > meat. Then insert until digit stops further penetration. Now that's
> > rocket
> > science.

> Took me a few times to understand what you meant but that's a simple
> and great way to do it. Thanks.
>
> Jesse

Glad you got it Jesse. Sorry I was unable to state it in clearer terms. It's

more difficult when you have to put a probe in a thinner cut of meat and
have to put it in at an angle. I may be wrong, but I don't feel comfortable
inless I have two inches or more of the probe into the meat. I think that
cook chamber heat will affect the probe for some distance.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Rob

"M&M" > wrote in message

But how do you know that's where it is?
> Hold your probe next to the meat first and place your finger or thumb
> on the probe at the point that will stop it when it is halfway through the
> meat. Then insert until digit stops further penetration. Now that's rocket
> science.
>
> --

FAQ that! Before I forget it!

Rob

M&M

On 9-Jul-2004, "Rob" > wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message
> >

> But how do you know that's where it is?
> > Hold your probe next to the meat first and place your finger or thumb
> > on the probe at the point that will stop it when it is halfway through
> > the
> > meat. Then insert until digit stops further penetration. Now that's
> > rocket
> > science.
> >
> > --

> FAQ that! Before I forget it!
>
> Rob

My brilliance amazes even myself sometimes. (BSEG)

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
M&M

On 9-Jul-2004, "Rob" > wrote:

> "M&M" > wrote in message
> >

> But how do you know that's where it is?
> > Hold your probe next to the meat first and place your finger or thumb
> > on the probe at the point that will stop it when it is halfway through
> > the
> > meat. Then insert until digit stops further penetration. Now that's
> > rocket
> > science.
> >
> > --

> FAQ that! Before I forget it!
>
> Rob

My brilliance amazes even myself sometimes. (BSEG)

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jesse Skeens

> > Took me a few times to understand what you meant but that's a simple
> > and great way to do it. Thanks.
> >
> > Jesse

> Glad you got it Jesse. Sorry I was unable to state it in clearer terms. It's
>
> more difficult when you have to put a probe in a thinner cut of meat and
> have to put it in at an angle. I may be wrong, but I don't feel comfortable
> inless I have two inches or more of the probe into the meat. I think that
> cook chamber heat will affect the probe for some distance.

No problem, it wasn't your description I think I was just being dense.

You raise a good point on the probe. I have also wondered how the
exposed
portion affects the overal temp. I thought perhaps only the tip was
sensitive to changes. Guess I could test this with some ice on the
upper end and see what happens.

Jesse

Jesse Skeens

> > Took me a few times to understand what you meant but that's a simple
> > and great way to do it. Thanks.
> >
> > Jesse

> Glad you got it Jesse. Sorry I was unable to state it in clearer terms. It's
>
> more difficult when you have to put a probe in a thinner cut of meat and
> have to put it in at an angle. I may be wrong, but I don't feel comfortable
> inless I have two inches or more of the probe into the meat. I think that
> cook chamber heat will affect the probe for some distance.

No problem, it wasn't your description I think I was just being dense.

You raise a good point on the probe. I have also wondered how the
exposed
portion affects the overal temp. I thought perhaps only the tip was
sensitive to changes. Guess I could test this with some ice on the
upper end and see what happens.

Jesse
Charles Demas

In article >,
M&M > wrote:

>> > Glad you got it Jesse. Sorry I was unable to state it in clearer terms.
>> > It's
>> >
>> > more difficult when you have to put a probe in a thinner cut of meat and
>> > have to put it in at an angle. I may be wrong, but I don't feel
>> > comfortable
>> > inless I have two inches or more of the probe into the meat. I think
>> > that
>> > cook chamber heat will affect the probe for some distance.

>> No problem, it wasn't your description I think I was just being dense.
>>
>> You raise a good point on the probe. I have also wondered how the
>> exposed
>> portion affects the overal temp. I thought perhaps only the tip was
>> sensitive to changes. Guess I could test this with some ice on the
>> upper end and see what happens.
>>
>> Jesse

>I wouldn't lose any sleep over it Jesse. The probes are made of
>stainless steel and thus pretty poor conductors of heat. A
>couple of inches of penetration is sure to do the trick.

Actually it does make a difference. The permanent probes will
cook the meat down the length of the probe, given enough time,
and the meat temperature at the tip will be higher. Cutting down
the meat where the probe was inserted will show the cooking effect.
This is examined when you're done.

This effect is proportional to the difference between oven and meat
temperature. It's more pronounced at higher oven temperatures.

One way to combat this is to use an instant read probe instead, one
that gets pulled out after taking a reading.

Another is to figure in the effect of the cooking down the probe.

Another way is to use a probe with a thermal break in its length.
I made some probe that did this back when I was working in the
area of providing computer control of commercial cooking ovens.
They worked will, and the thermal break prevented cooking down the
length of the probe, but they weren't as strong mechanically, and were
expensive to produce. We had a ceramic insert that isolated the
metal sections of the probe.

I am not aware of any probes made commercially that are like this.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Jesse Skeens

> One way to combat this is to use an instant read probe instead, one
> that gets pulled out after taking a reading.

Guess Ill try that. Key seems to be able to insert the probe
in the same hole each time to prevent lots of holes and juices
from running out.

Jesse

frohe

Jesse Skeens wrote:
>> One way to combat this is to use an instant read probe instead, one
>> that gets pulled out after taking a reading.

> Guess Ill try that. Key seems to be able to insert the probe
> in the same hole each time to prevent lots of holes and juices
> from running out.

Jesse, juice is gonna run out anyways as the meat cooks down. Get ya
a cheap single probe therm. Test it out in ice water to note the
difference between what it reads and 32°F and start using the thang.

Qin ain't rock science, so learn to use what ya got. A smoker, a set
of tongs, a single probe therm, meat, heat and smoke is all ya need to
get goin. It's just that simple.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

long pork super hulk Recipes 0 02-01-2016 12:47 PM
Oven pull pork notbob General Cooking 96 09-03-2014 07:22 AM
woo-doggie! Pull pork notbob General Cooking 120 24-11-2013 08:32 PM
Bar-B-Que Slow Cooking and Achieving Pull Apart Tender Pork Executive Crackhead General Cooking 48 07-06-2005 03:57 PM
Help. Pulled pork won't pull. cc0112453 Barbecue 13 10-03-2005 06:13 AM