Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Looking for new smoker?

My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey Mountain.
Do any have advice?
TIA

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message
> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
> Mountain. Do any have advice?
> TIA
>
> Ed

How much are you willing to spend?

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
>> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
>> Mountain. Do any have advice?
>> TIA
>>
>> Ed

> How much are you willing to spend?
>
> Dimitri

$200 or less, if possible, If there's a reasonable option, I'd like to get
away from a bullet. With the Meco Bullet I have trouble keeping the temp low
enough. Adding charcoal during cooking and cleaning them after use is a
pain. The Meco requires attention frequently. I'd think about gas. I've
noticed that a number on this NG use gas smokers.

I'm interested in hearing all opinions.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
>>> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
>>> Mountain. Do any have advice?
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Ed

>> How much are you willing to spend?
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> $200 or less, if possible, If there's a reasonable option, I'd like to get
> away from a bullet. With the Meco Bullet I have trouble keeping the temp low
> enough. Adding charcoal during cooking and cleaning them after use is a
> pain. The Meco requires attention frequently. I'd think about gas. I've
> noticed that a number on this NG use gas smokers.

Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508

They have one that's wider and is preferable, but I can't find it anywhere
right now. Are they still for sale?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
rob rob is offline

On May 20, 1:48*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Theron wrote:
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> How much are you willing to spend?

> >> Dimitri

> > $200 or less, if possible, If there's a reasonable option, I'd like to get
> > away from a bullet. With the Meco Bullet I have trouble keeping the temp low
> > enough. Adding charcoal during cooking and cleaning them after use is a
> > pain. The Meco requires attention frequently. I'd think about gas. I've
> > noticed that a number on this NG use gas smokers.

> Great Outdoors Smokey Mountainhttp://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342508
>
> They have one that's wider and is preferable, but I can't find it anywhere
> right now. *Are they still for sale?
>
> -sw- Hide quoted text -

The width of the one you listed above is 20". I just measured mine and
it is 16" wide. I got it for $98.

I never saw one larger than the 20" or more than the $157. I think the
smaller is the one no longer listed.

If the store doesn't stock, order on line and do the "Site to Store"
for no shipping charges.

One of the best bargains ever, imo.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

rob wrote:

>> They have one that's wider and is preferable, but I can't find it anywhere
>> right now. Are they still for sale?
>>

> The width of the one you listed above is 20". I just measured mine and
> it is 16" wide. I got it for $98.
>
> I never saw one larger than the 20" or more than the $157. I think the
> smaller is the one no longer listed.

Hrm. I thought there was one a lot wider than the 20". But I do remember
a price tag of about $100, so maybe the 20" for 157 was what I was
thinking of.

AS much as I hate shopping at Walmart, I'll probably pick one up this
weekend. Maybe kick a few holes in some 50lb bags of dog food while I'm
there.

If they have them. It shows my nearest Walmart as 30 miles away and
they're out of stock. We have at least 3 Walmarts within 7 miles. So
beings the long, painful journey to Walmart...

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-May-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Theron" > wrote in message
> >> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't
> >> smoke
> >> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
> >> Mountain. Do any have advice?
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Ed

I think this is right up your alley Ed. Big Jim (LazyQ.com) uses one at
home and is very happy with it. This is generally referred to as the
GOSM (Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508
--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> I think this is right up your alley Ed. Big Jim (LazyQ.com) uses one at
> home and is very happy with it. This is generally referred to as the
> GOSM (Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain)
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

I've been using one for two seasons now. Had my doubts for the money, but
it is damned good. I'll be cranking it up this weekend for some pulled
pork.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
>> I think this is right up your alley Ed. Big Jim (LazyQ.com) uses one at
>> home and is very happy with it. This is generally referred to as the
>> GOSM (Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain)
>>
>> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508
>> --
>> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

> I've been using one for two seasons now. Had my doubts for the money, but
> it is damned good. I'll be cranking it up this weekend for some pulled
> pork.

Do you have the wide one (34", I think) or the one pictured (20?)?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
>>> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
>>> Mountain. Do any have advice?
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Ed

>> How much are you willing to spend?
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> $200 or less, if possible, If there's a reasonable option, I'd like to get
> away from a bullet. With the Meco Bullet I have trouble keeping the temp
> low enough. Adding charcoal during cooking and cleaning them after use is
> a pain. The Meco requires attention frequently. I'd think about gas. I've
> noticed that a number on this NG use gas smokers.
>
> I'm interested in hearing all opinions.
>
> Ed

This is what I have
http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=34

There are a few drawbacks but not many. It's made from a pretty thick steel
and I have been able over a year or so to season (like cast iron) the
outside.

Knocking out the punched area for the side firebox can be a pain.

You should be able to find both pieces at a home improvement for about
150.00 or less.

I am delighted with the results and the grates on the main unit are heavy
and stand up very well.

I smoked an 8 lb. Boston butt last weekend along with a 4 lb. tri-tip. The
tri tip was done in about 3 hrs.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dimitri wrote:

> I smoked an 8 lb. Boston butt last weekend along with a 4 lb. tri-tip.
> The tri tip was done in about 3 hrs.

A 4lb tri-tip? Must have been form a mutant cow. Tri-tips don't
come that big.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> I smoked an 8 lb. Boston butt last weekend along with a 4 lb. tri-tip.
>> The tri tip was done in about 3 hrs.

> A 4lb tri-tip? Must have been form a mutant cow. Tri-tips don't
> come that big.
>
> -sw

They do here (central California where the tri tip originated as a Q meat)
if you buy them untrimmed

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message
> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
> Mountain. Do any have advice?
> TIA
>
> Ed

Stay with what your familar with is IMHO, most of the bullet smokers seem to
be under $50 at Walmart, Home depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.. I have seen them
in the last few months as low as $35.
Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
>> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey

> Mountain.
>> Do any have advice?
>> TIA
>>
>> Ed
>>

> If you're a tightwad the WSM is still the best bet for around 200 bucks.
> It
> will outlast 10 ECB/generic cylinder smokers and do a far better job of
> cooking, and, to also appeal to your tightwad nature, it will use far less
> fuel. Therefore in the long run it's much cheaper to "bit the bullet" and
> get the WSM.
>
> MartyB in KC

The WSM is now $299, and not discounted much, if any, at this point.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message
> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
> Mountain. Do any have advice?
> TIA
>
> Ed

$177.04 with free shipping

http://www.etronics.com/p-40992-webe...r-smoker.aspx?
or
http://tinyurl.com/p5sfsj

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:45:22 -0500, gilb wrote:

> $177.04 with free shipping
>
> http://www.etronics.com/p-40992-webe...r-smoker.aspx?
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/p5sfsj

"Out of Stock"

It was out of stock 3 months ago as well. Whether it ever came back
*in* stock during that time is anyone's guess.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message
> My Meco bullet smoker is dead, and I'm look to replace it. I don't smoke
> often enough and I"m too much of a tightwad to get a Weber Smokey
> Mountain. Do any have advice?
> TIA
>
> Ed

Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice. This helps.
A great holiday weekend to all,

Ed

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 01:44 AM
Not a new smoker JD[_2_] Barbecue 1 01-08-2007 02:50 AM
I want to buy a smoker!! [email protected] Barbecue 21 28-08-2005 06:02 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM