Old 23-03-2009, 03:36 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Alternate rib WSM recipies plz

I've been doing ribs the "WSM Professor" way for 5 years now and just
want to try something a bit different. My only complaint is that
currently the ribs (I use Costco mostly) come out a bit dry, even
though I use the full water pan and do the cranberry/oil misting as
Professor suggests. Can someone post a link to some alternatives if
you have time?

Thanks
Mark G.
Wayne, NJ

Old 23-03-2009, 03:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 23, 7:36*am, "Mark G7#9" wrote:
I've been doing ribs the "WSM Professor" way for 5 years now and just
want to try something a bit different. My only complaint is that
currently the ribs (I use Costco mostly) come out a bit dry,

Huhn, I'd have a damn difficult time drying out the full slabs they
sell. Are you trimming too much of the fat off?

Either that or you need to bring the temps down a tad. IMO ribs do
best between 225-250.
I've gotten some tougher/dryer results at 275+.

My secret recipe:
S&P to taste, oak lump charcoal, time+smoke+heat= good eats.

I figure I might as well share it this year.

Old 23-03-2009, 07:33 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:
On Mar 23, 7:36 am, "Mark G7#9" wrote:
I've been doing ribs the "WSM Professor" way for 5 years now and just
want to try something a bit different. My only complaint is that
currently the ribs (I use Costco mostly) come out a bit dry,

Huhn, I'd have a damn difficult time drying out the full slabs they
sell. Are you trimming too much of the fat off?

Either that or you need to bring the temps down a tad. IMO ribs do
best between 225-250.
I've gotten some tougher/dryer results at 275+.

My secret recipe:
S&P to taste, oak lump charcoal, time+smoke+heat= good eats.

I figure I might as well share it this year.

HEY! You stole my recipe! Well, you forgot the liquid libations for
the chef though. ;-)
Old 23-03-2009, 08:11 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark G7#9 wrote:

I've been doing ribs the "WSM Professor" way for 5 years now and just
want to try something a bit different. My only complaint is that
currently the ribs (I use Costco mostly) come out a bit dry, even
though I use the full water pan and do the cranberry/oil misting as
Professor suggests. Can someone post a link to some alternatives if
you have time?

Have you tried a El Cheapo Brinkman?

BTW: I think he's referring to G Wiv's instructions.
Suggestions:

Use spare ribs, not baby back ribs (his instructions are confusing
the two sections of ribs).

Use different rubs.

Use different woods.

I think I've read that vents 2/3rds open would be too hot.

If all else fails, buy a brinkman.

-sw
Old 23-03-2009, 08:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Mark G7#9 wrote:

I've been doing ribs the "WSM Professor" way for 5 years now and just
want to try something a bit different. My only complaint is that
currently the ribs (I use Costco mostly) come out a bit dry, even
though I use the full water pan and do the cranberry/oil misting as
Professor suggests. Can someone post a link to some alternatives if
you have time?

Have you tried a El Cheapo Brinkman?

BTW: I think he's referring to G Wiv's instructions.
Suggestions:

Use spare ribs, not baby back ribs (his instructions are confusing
the two sections of ribs).

Use different rubs.

Use different woods.

I think I've read that vents 2/3rds open would be too hot.

If all else fails, buy a brinkman.

You could be a pitchman for them if you could spell Brinkmann.

TFM®

Old 24-03-2009, 12:29 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message

If all else fails, buy a brinkman.

You could be a pitchman for them if you could spell Brinkmann.

Hah! This is from the guy that can't spell "Weber Smoky Mountain"
since he only has the initials memorized.

-sw
Old 24-03-2009, 12:31 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:

On Mar 23, 12:54*pm, TFM® wrote:

You could be a pitchman for them if you could spell Brinkmann.

OUCH!

vbg

Uh-oh. WSM folks are nervously laughing at spelling flames now.
They must feel threatened.

-sw
Old 24-03-2009, 02:39 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 23, 4:31*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
Duwop wrote:
On Mar 23, 12:54*pm, TFM® wrote:

You could be a pitchman for them if you could spell Brinkmann.

OUCH!

vbg

Uh-oh. *WSM folks are nervously laughing at spelling flames now.

Come on, it was funny. Shaddup and grin back for gawdsake.

Yeah yeah, spelling marms are boring, his line was good.

The more you protest, the more I get to see it. vbg

On a real note:
Steve, you ever get back this way?

Old 24-03-2009, 02:48 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark G7#9" wrote in message
My only complaint is that
currently the ribs (I use Costco mostly) come out a bit dry, even
though I use the full water pan and do the cranberry/oil misting as
Professor suggests.

If the ribs dry out, you are cooking them too long. No recipe will
compensate for poor technique. Just take them off sooner.

Old 24-03-2009, 02:51 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 23, 9:36*am, "Mark G7#9" wrote:
I've been doing ribs the "WSM Professor" way for 5 years now and just
want to try something a bit different. My only complaint is that
currently the ribs (I use Costco mostly) come out a bit dry, even
though I use the full water pan and do the cranberry/oil misting as
Professor suggests. Can someone post a link to some alternatives if
you have time?

Thanks
Mark G.
Wayne, NJ

Mark:
For some added moistness, you might try the 3-2-1 method which is
popular on the competition circuit.

3 hours in the cooker at about 225°, 2 hours wrapped in foil in the
cooker, and 1 hour unwrapped in the cooker; apply your glaze about 15
minutes before removing them from your WSM. I did 3 slabs on Saturday
as described (sans WSM). Aside from a bit of juice accumulating in
the foil after the 2 hour stage (fire was probably on the high side;
I'll adjust for a lower pit temperature next weekend) , they came out
juicy, smoky and tender.

Pierre
Old 24-03-2009, 03:24 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 23, 9:51*pm, Pierre wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys to all the good advice! I do use babyback cryovacs from
Costco, not the spares. I'll try those now. The
"Professor" ( www.wiviott.com) has great tips on his site but he is
like a Soup Nazi if you ask him about alternate cooking methods. I
asked him once if sand was better in the drip pan instead of water and
he was like: " ..hey idiot, can you READ the instructions on the site.
Just follow them EXACTLY!"
Old 24-03-2009, 10:44 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark G7#9" wrote in message
On Mar 23, 9:51 pm, Pierre wrote:
[...]

Throw the water pan away. That's what I did with my WSM. I know Wiviott
personally. He's good at what he does, but there's always more than one
way.

He's really a nice guy as well.

TFM®

Old 25-03-2009, 12:52 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop wrote:
On Mar 23, 12:54*pm, TFM® wrote:

You could be a pitchman for them if you could spell Brinkmann.

OUCH!

vbg

Uh-oh. *WSM folks are nervously laughing at spelling flames now.

Come on, it was funny. Shaddup and grin back for gawdsake.

I didn't think it was funny at all, but I wasn't taking offense
(pbbbt). I'm just trying to start a new breed of arguments
ECB vs WSM.

For years it was universally agreed that you could cook BBQ just
fine with a few logs, a few sticks, and a metal rod (or even less
than that). Now it's nothing less than a WSM.

On a real note:
Steve, you ever get back this way?

I used to all the time, twice a year or so, but I haven't been back
since ... 2005 or so. Since I got out of high-tech, there's no
reason to go back there much. Or anybody to pay for it.

Heck, my brother in San Jose didn't even tell me he was getting
married a few months ago. So screw him.

ObFood: Pork ribs are still $1/lb. And right next to them they're
selling the 3-packs of chine bones taken off the St Louis cuts for
$1.69.

-sw
Old 25-03-2009, 01:10 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark G7#9 wrote:

The "Professor" ( www.wiviott.com) has great tips on his site but he is
like a Soup Nazi if you ask him about alternate cooking methods. I
asked him once if sand was better in the drip pan instead of water and
he was like: " ..hey idiot, can you READ the instructions on the site.
Just follow them EXACTLY!"

Yeah - I started to say something about his, uh, "sternness" but it
appears I erased that part, as well as the part about several things
in his instructions that are ... dare I say... wrong? It appears
he's confusing spares with baby backs, for one. Which is what
prompted me to bring that to your attention.

But I didn't say that because he reads this group and I didn't want
him to get offended. So you didn't hear that from me.

-sw

alternate for food.... chengjoh General Cooking 0 27-05-2008 02:37 PM
Alternate pastas Julie Bove Diabetic 0 22-12-2005 09:30 AM
"Sideways," the Alternate Ending [email protected] Wine 2 16-03-2005 08:36 AM
Alternate Foodsaver Bags - Beware! Vox Humana Cooking Equipment 12 01-02-2005 09:40 PM
alternate yeast for kit? David Savige Winemaking 6 26-10-2003 06:41 PM