Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoked salmon

can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gil Faver wrote:

> can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

I've used these methods with very good results

Hot Smoked
----------

<http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm>

Cold Smoked
-----------

<http://www.sausagemania.com/loxmania.html>

<http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking/cold-smoked-lox.htm>
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gil Faver wrote:

> can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest smoking salmon is religion. This is a real
good basic starting point page for anything to do with salmon:
http://salmonuniversity.com/ol_htss_basic_steps.html

I have owned several Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smokers exclusively
for smoking salmon. There is a recipe in the book that comes with that
smoker (I think it's their "Deluxe" recipe) which is extremely good. I
wish I still had it.

Grant
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Apr-2008, "Gil Faver" > wrote:

> can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

Here's a couple for starters

http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_salmon

http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/alderrecipes.htm

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
> Gil Faver wrote:
>
>> can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

> Up here in the Pacific Northwest smoking salmon is religion. This is a
> real
> good basic starting point page for anything to do with salmon:
> http://salmonuniversity.com/ol_htss_basic_steps.html
>
> I have owned several Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smokers exclusively
> for smoking salmon. There is a recipe in the book that comes with that
> smoker (I think it's their "Deluxe" recipe) which is extremely good. I
> wish I still had it.
>
> Grant

Here's the recipe. This recipe, while it looks tasty, will give you firm
textured smoked salmon.

"Little Chief" Smoked Salmon Deluxe(Chinook, Coho, etc.)
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup NON-IODIZED salt
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup water
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 cup dry white wine

Brine salmon chucks 8 or more hours, keeping refrigerated.
Fill flavor pan with Hickory, Alder, or mix 2/3 Apple with 1/3 Cherry. Use 2
to 3 panfuls. Leave in the smoker until drying is completed, This may take
12 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat. Place largest and thickest
chunks on the bottom rack.
(Also use for Steelhead and other large trout.)

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RegForte" > wrote in message
. ..
> Gil Faver wrote:
>
>> can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

> I've used these methods with very good results
>
> Hot Smoked
> ----------
>
> <http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm>
>
> Cold Smoked
> -----------
>
> <http://www.sausagemania.com/loxmania.html>
>
> <http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking/cold-smoked-lox.htm>

When I've tried to make cold smoked salmon, I make gravlax, a Swedish cured
salmon, similar to below, though lately I've been using a bit of
nitrate[Morton's Tenderquickj]. You don't have to brine cure it, though most
recipes call for that. I think dry cured salmon tastes quite a lot better
than brined salmon.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_7648,00.html
Following that you smoke at the lowest temp. you can get your smoker to go.
You don't have to smoke longer than 1-2 hours with thin slices of fish.
BTW, you should freeze the fresh salmon before doing anything to rid it of
the parasites.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
>
>>Gil Faver wrote:
>>

>>>can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

>>Up here in the Pacific Northwest smoking salmon is religion. This is a
>>real
>>good basic starting point page for anything to do with salmon:
>>http://salmonuniversity.com/ol_htss_basic_steps.html
>>
>>I have owned several Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smokers exclusively
>>for smoking salmon. There is a recipe in the book that comes with that
>>smoker (I think it's their "Deluxe" recipe) which is extremely good. I
>>wish I still had it.
>>
>>Grant
>>

> Here's the recipe. This recipe, while it looks tasty, will give you firm
> textured smoked salmon.

That sounds about right. Just the way I like it! :-) Thanks very much for
posting the recipe.

Grant

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
>> Gil Faver wrote:
>>
>>> can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

>> Up here in the Pacific Northwest smoking salmon is religion. This is a
>> real
>> good basic starting point page for anything to do with salmon:
>> http://salmonuniversity.com/ol_htss_basic_steps.html
>>
>> I have owned several Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smokers
>> exclusively
>> for smoking salmon. There is a recipe in the book that comes with that
>> smoker (I think it's their "Deluxe" recipe) which is extremely good. I
>> wish I still had it.
>>
>> Grant
>>

> Here's the recipe. This recipe, while it looks tasty, will give you firm
> textured smoked salmon.
>
> "Little Chief" Smoked Salmon Deluxe(Chinook, Coho, etc.)
> 1/3 cup sugar
> ¼ cup NON-IODIZED salt
> 2 cups soy sauce
> 1 cup water
> ½ tsp. onion powder
> ½ tsp. garlic powder
> ½ tsp. pepper
> ½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
> 1 cup dry white wine
>
> Brine salmon chucks 8 or more hours, keeping refrigerated.
> Fill flavor pan with Hickory, Alder, or mix 2/3 Apple with 1/3 Cherry. Use
> 2 to 3 panfuls. Leave in the smoker until drying is completed, This may
> take 12 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat. Place largest and
> thickest chunks on the bottom rack.
> (Also use for Steelhead and other large trout.)
>
> Kent

That recipe is similar to one I use for hot smoked salmon that gets rave
reviews from everybody that has tried it.

I would substitute Terryaki sauce/marinade instead of the soy sauce, use
dark brown sugar instead of white sugar, and use pickling salt instead of
regular salt, as it will disolve into the brine better.

When hot smoking salmon, and other oily fish, start out with low temps and
work your way up. I've found if you start with too high of a temp, your
fish will ooze gross looking yellow/green "snot". I always start off an
hour at 100F, an hour at 120F, 3-4 hours at 140F, then finish it off at 170F
till done. My salmon typically takes about 7 hours or so, and I always use
apple or alder on my salmon.

Matt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

That recipe looks good; I'm going to give it a shot. Depending how
much salmon you brine, I guess you just multiply recipe accordingly so
the all the fish can be completely submerged in the brine?

The first time I smoked salmon was just a few weeks ago and I've made
it two times since. I used the recipe from the 3men.com. I had
generally good results, but had to play around with the brine time
since it was too salty the first time. FWIW, I actually preferred the
Steelhead Trout over the Salmon.

On Apr 6, 9:11 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message

> > Gil Faver wrote:

> >> can you point me to any good threads, tutorials? thanks.

> > Up here in the Pacific Northwest smoking salmon is religion. This is a
> > real
> > good basic starting point page for anything to do with salmon:
> >http://salmonuniversity.com/ol_htss_basic_steps.html

> > I have owned several Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smokers exclusively
> > for smoking salmon. There is a recipe in the book that comes with that
> > smoker (I think it's their "Deluxe" recipe) which is extremely good. I
> > wish I still had it.

> > Grant

> Here's the recipe. This recipe, while it looks tasty, will give you firm
> textured smoked salmon.
>
> "Little Chief" Smoked Salmon Deluxe(Chinook, Coho, etc.)
> 1/3 cup sugar
> ¼ cup NON-IODIZED salt
> 2 cups soy sauce
> 1 cup water
> ½ tsp. onion powder
> ½ tsp. garlic powder
> ½ tsp. pepper
> ½ tsp. Tabasco sauce
> 1 cup dry white wine
>
> Brine salmon chucks 8 or more hours, keeping refrigerated.
> Fill flavor pan with Hickory, Alder, or mix 2/3 Apple with 1/3 Cherry. Use 2
> to 3 panfuls. Leave in the smoker until drying is completed, This may take
> 12 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat. Place largest and thickest
> chunks on the bottom rack.
> (Also use for Steelhead and other large trout.)
>
> Kent

Smoked Salmon - what to do with it? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 45 30-07-2010 05:40 PM
Smoked Salmon War[_3_] Preserving 0 22-04-2010 09:57 PM
Help w/ smoked salmon on the WSM Zz Yzx Barbecue 2 10-08-2008 01:24 AM
Smoked salmon: croft smoked. Oz General Cooking 3 24-10-2003 08:03 AM