Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Alternatives to pork butt, beef brisket, turkey or ribs

Hi all;

I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.

What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>
> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

I do a few Chucks with good results. I like to marinate overnight in
Teryaki and then cook just like a butt with Maple wood for smoke.
UM-YUMMM. Do it the way you like.

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> Hi all;
>
> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>
> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

A big hunk of round smoke slow is nice. Same with prime rib.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>I do a few Chucks with good results. I like to marinate overnight in
>Teryaki and then cook just like a butt with Maple wood for smoke.
>UM-YUMMM. Do it the way you like.

Do you pull it, and soak in sauce? Slice?

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>A big hunk of round smoke slow is nice. Same with prime rib.

One of my fondest culinary memories was the "mesquite smoked prime
rib" at the Gage Hotel in Marathon, TX, c. 1984-85. Damn fine
vittles. I've done some prime ribs in my WSM, works verrrry well.

-Zz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
>on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
>errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>
>What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
>that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>
>Thanks a heap,
>-Zz

What about those big beef cuts at Costco.... the "rib-eye roasts"
&tc.?

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 16, 9:16*am, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> >What other cuts of pork or beef work? *I'm looking for a large cut
> >that benefits from smoke and works in WSM. *

> >Thanks a heap,
> >-Zz

I've done some of these beef cuts, warning, they soak up the smoke
like a sponge and can easily get too much smoke taste.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>I've done some of these beef cuts, warning, they soak up the smoke
>like a sponge and can easily get too much smoke taste.

Good to know. Thanks.

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx > wrote in
:

> Hi all;
>
> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>
> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

What about lamb?

--
Tommy Lee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

motley me > wrote:
> Zz Yzx > wrote in

> > Hi all;
> >
> > I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
> > on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> > errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
> >
> > What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
> > that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.

> What about lamb?

Yer right, Tommy. Smoked lamb is excellent. I've done ribs and legs on my
NB smoker. Both turned out great.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 16, 10:07*am, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, *beef brisket, and turkey
> on my WSM. *But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> errrrr, did that". *Ditto ribs.
>
> What other cuts of pork or beef work? *I'm looking for a large cut
> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM. *
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

See my post from Jul-06:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...0 64250136a46

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Zz Yzx wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>
> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.

I've done a prime rib and regular sirloin roasts, taking them out when
they'll peak at med-rare after being foiled. In fact, I have one package of
thin sliced roast beef left that I'm going to make another batch of umm.. I
dunno... I haven't stuck a name to it yet... Basically, eggs benedict with
roast beef replacing the canadian bacon, and using something else other than
an english muffin. Say a biscuit or an Australian Toaster Biscuit. Texas
Benedict, perhaps?

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 16, 2:00*pm, Pierre > wrote:

> See my post from Jul-06:http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f..._frm/thread/f0...

Which is a ****ing match, not an informative post on lamb.

I'd google Louis Cohen's posts on lamb myself.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> Hi all;
>
> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>
> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>
> Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Full racks of short rib make for a meaty Q. I can sometimes get them here
four in a piece about 4"-5" long with two or more inches of meat hanging off
the rib. I haven't looked into what they're like wholesale or even if a
larger piece is available. I just found them in the supermarket.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
>> I do a few Chucks with good results. I like to marinate overnight in
>> Teryaki and then cook just like a butt with Maple wood for smoke.
>> UM-YUMMM. Do it the way you like.

> Do you pull it, and soak in sauce? Slice?
>
> -Zz

No, it doesn't pull well, I slice it. If you go much above 185 degrees
internal it will dry out a little, so be careful with that. You need
that kind of heat to make it real tender, but don't go too high.

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Feb-2008, "Dave T." > wrote:

> Zz Yzx wrote:
> >> I do a few Chucks with good results. I like to marinate overnight in
> >> Teryaki and then cook just like a butt with Maple wood for smoke.
> >> UM-YUMMM. Do it the way you like.

> > Do you pull it, and soak in sauce? Slice?
> >
> > -Zz

> No, it doesn't pull well, I slice it. If you go much above 185 degrees
> internal it will dry out a little, so be careful with that. You need
> that kind of heat to make it real tender, but don't go too high.
>
> --
> Dave T.

The last chuck roast I smoked was 4.2 lbs on Aug 25 last year. I cooked
it to 195°F internal and pulled it with the bark mixed in. I cooked 12 lbs
of butts (2) in the same load and it was all excellent. Ten lbs of chicken
wings, soaked 48 hrs in TFM®'s brine were grilled separately and finished
with 'Struttin' Sauce' from Smoke & Spice.

IM(NS)HO chuck finishes out just like brisket does. Most folks would
slice it rather then pull it, but it's quite good pulled as well. Cook
accordingly.

--
Brick(You've just decided to grow strawberries. Are you going to get any
the first year? Charlie Weaver: Of course not, I'm going to be too busy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> IM(NS)HO chuck finishes out just like brisket does. Most folks would
> slice it rather then pull it, but it's quite good pulled as well. Cook
> accordingly.

Brick, thanks for that! When I started doing Chucks, I cooked it to 190
df and I thought it turned out a little dry. Just that one time? I'll go
back to try that again. What temp do you cook at? Usually 275 or so, right?

Hmmm, I like to do mine marinated in Teryaki. Wonder if that would
contribute to dryness. Opinions?
--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...

> "Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
>> Hi all;
>>
>> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
>> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
>> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>>
>> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
>> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>>
>> Thanks a heap,
>> -Zz

> A big hunk of round smoke slow is nice. Same with prime rib.

Prime Rib, Ed? Wow you must have come out well on the Insurance claim, eh
~[;o)

Costco sell these pork loins that come into the large cut category. I stuff
them and tie them. Never
had any left overs [boo!].

Prime Rib, Ed? Wow! you must have come out OK on that Insurance claim, eh
~[;o)

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Feb-2008, "Dave T." > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > IM(NS)HO chuck finishes out just like brisket does. Most folks would
> > slice it rather then pull it, but it's quite good pulled as well. Cook
> > accordingly.
> >

> Brick, thanks for that! When I started doing Chucks, I cooked it to 190
> df and I thought it turned out a little dry. Just that one time? I'll go
> back to try that again. What temp do you cook at? Usually 275 or so,
> right?
>
> Hmmm, I like to do mine marinated in Teryaki. Wonder if that would
> contribute to dryness. Opinions?
> --
> Dave T.

Yup, I cook around 270°F, but there is nothing magical about that number.
My pit chose it, I didn't. If I want any other temperature I have to mess
with
it. It runs at 270° by itself. I just have to take the meat out at the right
time.

I don't know about the marinade. I never did it to beef or pork, just
chicken.
My chuck was nice even though I overcooked it a little. (It's a disease I'm
afflicted with. I twirled a bird in the rotisserie the other day and did my
level
best to cook it to death. It was edible anyway.)
--
Brick(How high do you need to be to make a parachute jump? Charlie Weaver:
Three days of steady drinking should do it.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Harry" > wrote in message

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> et...
>>
>> "Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
>>> Hi all;
>>>
>>> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
>>> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
>>> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.
>>>
>>> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
>>> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>>>
>>> Thanks a heap,
>>> -Zz

I used to like a Steamship Round smoked med-rare. Be careful, though, it's
a big cut, and will serve
20-30 folks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Zz Yzx says...

>What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
>that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.
>
>Thanks a heap,
>-Zz

I've smoked bratwurst that everyone liked a lot. Tri-tip roasts (3+ lbs) also
come out very tasty. I buy them untrimmed and put them in the smoker until they
reach 140 degrees.

One of these days I'm going to smoke one of those bologna rolls--I understand
they come out pretty tasty. Lamb is also another meat on the list.

Mark

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Zz Yzx > wrote:
> Hi all;

> I'm getting pretty good at pulled pork butt, beef brisket, and turkey
> on my WSM. But I'm at a point where I've "Been there, drank that ...
> errrrr, did that". Ditto ribs.

> What other cuts of pork or beef work? I'm looking for a large cut
> that benefits from smoke and works in WSM.

Get an underbone chuck roast. Basically, it is the cow's version of a
pork butt.

Rub it and cook it till it falls apart. Make sure to get one at least 4
inches thick.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.