Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default What would you do (smoker dimentions)

Maybe some of you remember me, the guy who wants to make a stainless steel
mobile smoker out of a beer barrel. Well, I just bought the beer barrel, a
little smaller than I had hoped. It is a 900 liter (237 gallons) barrel.
Diameter 90 cm (35 inch), length 155 cm (61 inch). The ends are not flat.
The max length for the door(s) is 130 cm (51 inch). What would you do? Make
one door 130 cm (51 inch) or two doors 60 cm (23 inch). 90 cm (35 inch)
diameter should be enough for 3 levels. Hope you can help me out with this
choice

Thanks

Adriaan

The Netherlands

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
> Maybe some of you remember me, the guy who wants to make a stainless steel
> mobile smoker out of a beer barrel. Well, I just bought the beer barrel, a
> little smaller than I had hoped. It is a 900 liter (237 gallons) barrel.
> Diameter 90 cm (35 inch), length 155 cm (61 inch). The ends are not flat.
> The max length for the door(s) is 130 cm (51 inch). What would you do?
> Make one door 130 cm (51 inch) or two doors 60 cm (23 inch). 90 cm (35
> inch) diameter should be enough for 3 levels. Hope you can help me out
> with this choice

Opening a smaller door allows less heat loss. Where is the fire going to
be? You want separate access for that if it is in the barrel.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

edwin,

thanks for your response. here is a link to a smoker which inspired me. This
one has a door in the main smoker barrel which I will not be making.
http://www.gatorpit.net/Terminator_3.jpg
http://www.gatorpit.net/Terminator_2.jpg
I will also not use the grill option in the firebox. like some "klose
smokers" I wil make a seperate pull out grill on the front

Adriaan

"Edwin Pawlowski" > schreef in bericht
t...

> "A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
>> Maybe some of you remember me, the guy who wants to make a stainless
>> steel mobile smoker out of a beer barrel. Well, I just bought the beer
>> barrel, a little smaller than I had hoped. It is a 900 liter (237
>> gallons) barrel. Diameter 90 cm (35 inch), length 155 cm (61 inch). The
>> ends are not flat. The max length for the door(s) is 130 cm (51 inch).
>> What would you do? Make one door 130 cm (51 inch) or two doors 60 cm (23
>> inch). 90 cm (35 inch) diameter should be enough for 3 levels. Hope you
>> can help me out with this choice
>>

> Opening a smaller door allows less heat loss. Where is the fire going to
> be? You want separate access for that if it is in the barrel.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
> edwin,
>
> thanks for your response. here is a link to a smoker which inspired me.
> This one has a door in the main smoker barrel which I will not be making.
> http://www.gatorpit.net/Terminator_3.jpg
> http://www.gatorpit.net/Terminator_2.jpg
> I will also not use the grill option in the firebox. like some "klose
> smokers" I wil make a seperate pull out grill on the front
>
> Adriaan
>

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > schreef in bericht
> t...
>>
>> "A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
>>> Maybe some of you remember me, the guy who wants to make a stainless
>>> steel mobile smoker out of a beer barrel. Well, I just bought the beer
>>> barrel, a little smaller than I had hoped. It is a 900 liter (237
>>> gallons) barrel. Diameter 90 cm (35 inch), length 155 cm (61 inch). The
>>> ends are not flat. The max length for the door(s) is 130 cm (51 inch).
>>> What would you do? Make one door 130 cm (51 inch) or two doors 60 cm (23
>>> inch). 90 cm (35 inch) diameter should be enough for 3 levels. Hope you
>>> can help me out with this choice
>>>

>> Opening a smaller door allows less heat loss. Where is the fire going to
>> be? You want separate access for that if it is in the barrel.

Looks like the pits I been building for years.
Go with 2 doors.
Remember when you start cutting Stainless Steel it will "walk around on
you. Not so much with plasma.
What is the wall thickness"
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hi there,

the firebox is 3 mm stainless steel wich is a to thin. Ill put an steel box
inside with a thicker wall. the beerbarrel should be 3mm ( so they told me)
the round caps are 3 mm, but the cylinder is probable 2mm. before cutting
the doors, I'll weld some ribs on it. after cutting the doors, the cylinder
will be reinforced. I'll us two SS pipes (100 mm diameter 3mm thick 1 meter
long) as chimney's. 2 schould be enough, but there is space for a third one.
the smoker I use now is made of 2 mm SS and works ok. main problem is
temperature control when it is windy (2mm SS doesn't hold the heat well.
Did you ever use SS for a smoker? If so, how do you like it.
"Klose" makes SS pits. he must have the same problems

Adriaan

"Big Jim" > schreef in bericht

> "A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
>> edwin,
>>
>> thanks for your response. here is a link to a smoker which inspired me.
>> This one has a door in the main smoker barrel which I will not be making.
>> http://www.gatorpit.net/Terminator_3.jpg
>> http://www.gatorpit.net/Terminator_2.jpg
>> I will also not use the grill option in the firebox. like some "klose
>> smokers" I wil make a seperate pull out grill on the front
>>
>> Adriaan
>>

>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > schreef in bericht
>> t...

>>> Opening a smaller door allows less heat loss. Where is the fire going
>>> to be? You want separate access for that if it is in the barrel.
>>>

> Looks like the pits I been building for years.
> Go with 2 doors.
> Remember when you start cutting Stainless Steel it will "walk around on
> you. Not so much with plasma.
> What is the wall thickness"
> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 11, 5:50 am, "A. Kesteloo" >
wrote:
> temperature control when it is windy (2mm SS doesn't hold the heat well.
> Did you ever use SS for a smoker? If so, how do you like it.
> "Klose" makes SS pits. he must have the same problems

He (Dave Klose) answers all the emails through his website and is
pretty friendly, you might try to ask him your questions about SS.

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 01:44 AM
Not a new smoker JD[_2_] Barbecue 1 01-08-2007 02:50 AM
I want to buy a smoker!! [email protected] Barbecue 21 28-08-2005 06:02 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM