Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default fan in smoker

A couple weeks back, I posted about uneven cooking of a full load of
ribs in my Bradley smoker. That got me to thinking. . . I'm not
uncomfortable at all with the idea of further modifying the Bradley, but
wonder if any of you have thoughts or suggestions.

My initial thought is that I'd like to circulate the smoke/heat inside
the cabinet a tad, but not enough that it would significantly dry out
the food being smoked. What I'm considering is getting a small cooling
fan- as used in a computer's power supply or even one designed for
120vac, and extending the shaft of the motor. The motor would sit
outside the Bradley's box, with the fan inside. it would be absolutely
as minimal as I could make it- possibly even restricting the airflow-
and would provide just enough air movement to swirl the air inside the
cabinet.

Has anyone done this? Where was the fan installed- high or low in the box?
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 18, 1:45 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> A couple weeks back, I posted about uneven cooking of a full load of
> ribs in my Bradley smoker. That got me to thinking. . . I'm not
> uncomfortable at all with the idea of further modifying the Bradley, but
> wonder if any of you have thoughts or suggestions.
>
> My initial thought is that I'd like to circulate the smoke/heat inside
> the cabinet a tad, but not enough that it would significantly dry out
> the food being smoked. What I'm considering is getting a small cooling
> fan- as used in a computer's power supply or even one designed for
> 120vac, and extending the shaft of the motor. The motor would sit
> outside the Bradley's box, with the fan inside. it would be absolutely
> as minimal as I could make it- possibly even restricting the airflow-
> and would provide just enough air movement to swirl the air inside the
> cabinet.
>
> Has anyone done this? Where was the fan installed- high or low in the box?
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

I mounted a Casablanca ceiling fan in the bottom of my Backwoods
Competitor. It did exactly as you've described, circulating the air,
and all. I sealed the motor with high temperature mortar, to keep the
grease out, and made it a snap to wipe and clean.
Have at it, with your Bradley.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>A couple weeks back, I posted about uneven cooking of a full load of ribs
>in my Bradley smoker. That got me to thinking. . . I'm not uncomfortable
>at all with the idea of further modifying the Bradley, but wonder if any of
>you have thoughts or suggestions.
>
> My initial thought is that I'd like to circulate the smoke/heat inside the
> cabinet a tad, but not enough that it would significantly dry out the food
> being smoked. What I'm considering is getting a small cooling fan- as
> used in a computer's power supply or even one designed for 120vac, and
> extending the shaft of the motor. The motor would sit outside the
> Bradley's box, with the fan inside. it would be absolutely as minimal as
> I could make it- possibly even restricting the airflow- and would provide
> just enough air movement to swirl the air inside the cabinet.
>
> Has anyone done this? Where was the fan installed- high or low in the
> box?

It has been done but I don't recall anyone saying it was a great invention.
This was some years ago. The consensus at the time was to look at the
differences in heating as an advantage. Once you know the cooker, you
either rotate the food or put the longer cooking stuff in the hot spots.

Get a package of the refrigerated Pillsbury biscuits. Lay them out around
the cooking grate and see the hot and cold spots and work accordingly.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Great idea-thanks.

Nonny

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> A couple weeks back, I posted about uneven cooking of a full load of ribs
>> in my Bradley smoker. That got me to thinking. . . I'm not uncomfortable
>> at all with the idea of further modifying the Bradley, but wonder if any of
>> you have thoughts or suggestions.
>>
>> My initial thought is that I'd like to circulate the smoke/heat inside the
>> cabinet a tad, but not enough that it would significantly dry out the food
>> being smoked. What I'm considering is getting a small cooling fan- as
>> used in a computer's power supply or even one designed for 120vac, and
>> extending the shaft of the motor. The motor would sit outside the
>> Bradley's box, with the fan inside. it would be absolutely as minimal as
>> I could make it- possibly even restricting the airflow- and would provide
>> just enough air movement to swirl the air inside the cabinet.
>>
>> Has anyone done this? Where was the fan installed- high or low in the
>> box?

> It has been done but I don't recall anyone saying it was a great invention.
> This was some years ago. The consensus at the time was to look at the
> differences in heating as an advantage. Once you know the cooker, you
> either rotate the food or put the longer cooking stuff in the hot spots.
>
> Get a package of the refrigerated Pillsbury biscuits. Lay them out around
> the cooking grate and see the hot and cold spots and work accordingly.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I love grilled biscuits!

It is in the Smoker ChrisGW Barbecue 3 05-11-2007 01:44 AM
Not a new smoker JD[_2_] Barbecue 1 01-08-2007 02:50 AM
I want to buy a smoker!! [email protected] Barbecue 21 28-08-2005 06:02 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM