Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Finally the perfect barbeque sauce!

Hi,

I have been struggeling for years finding a good recipe for barbeque sauce
made from scratch. I've always ended up with some sort of modified store
bought sauce. Until now that is. In one of the forums I read someone posted
a recipe for barbeque sauce and slaw as part of a complete meal.I thought
I'd make the sauce but didn't expect it to be any better than all the other
recipes I've tried in the past. But this one was wonderful! Perfect balance
and flavor. My guests for dinner (brisket) were raving about it. I will
share the recipe here and add the one for cilantro slaw which also was
incredibly good.

I normally do not post recipes in a group like this with so many experts,
but these two were exeptional, and for the barbeque sauce something I have
not been able to do in years with a result better than what you can
purchase in the store.

Barbecue Sauce

3 cups chili sauce
1 teaspoon ground 5-pepper mix
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup liquid smoke (Pecan or Oak)
1 1/2 cups good quality apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Mix all ingredients. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Cilantro Cole Slaw:

3 cups cabbage, shredded
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 lemon, squeezed for juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped fine
kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Mix everything except for the cabbage. Add mix to cabbage and toss.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
CDC CDC is offline

Sounds wonderful - thanks for sharing it, I've saved it to try soon!
- Cindy

--
CDC

If you're going through hell, keep going
- Winston Churchill
"ceed" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been struggeling for years finding a good recipe for barbeque sauce
> made from scratch. I've always ended up with some sort of modified store
> bought sauce. Until now that is. In one of the forums I read someone
> posted
> a recipe for barbeque sauce and slaw as part of a complete meal.I thought
> I'd make the sauce but didn't expect it to be any better than all the
> other
> recipes I've tried in the past. But this one was wonderful! Perfect
> balance
> and flavor. My guests for dinner (brisket) were raving about it. I will
> share the recipe here and add the one for cilantro slaw which also was
> incredibly good.
>
> I normally do not post recipes in a group like this with so many experts,
> but these two were exeptional, and for the barbeque sauce something I have
> not been able to do in years with a result better than what you can
> purchase in the store.
>
> Barbecue Sauce
>
> 3 cups chili sauce
> 1 teaspoon ground 5-pepper mix
> 1 teaspoon ground ginger
> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> 1/4 cup liquid smoke (Pecan or Oak)
> 1 1/2 cups good quality apple cider vinegar
> 3 tablespoons brown sugar
> 1 tablespoon molasses
> 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
> 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
>
> Mix all ingredients. Simmer for 20 minutes.
>
> Cilantro Cole Slaw:
>
> 3 cups cabbage, shredded
> 3/4 cup mayonnaise
> 1 lemon, squeezed for juice
> 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped fine
> kosher salt and pepper, to taste
>
> Mix everything except for the cabbage. Add mix to cabbage and toss.
>

> --
> //ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

> On 23 Apr 2007 14:08:21 GMT, ceed wrote:
>

> That's about 4% liquid smoke. Ouch.

Kinda hard to get real smoke mixed in... Why is 4% liquid smoke an
"ouch"? Tastes great in my humble opinion. You could of course try with
less, but I won't guarantee the result.

As with everything it boils down to personal taste (pun intended). This
sauce actually reminds me of the one I get at my favorite BBQ joint
around he Louie Mueller in Taylor. I won't compare myself to those que
magicians, but at least I can do sauce that come close to what they do.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" > wrote in message

> Steve Wertz > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 23 Apr 2007 14:08:21 GMT, ceed wrote:
> >

> > That's about 4% liquid smoke. Ouch.

> Kinda hard to get real smoke mixed in... Why is 4% liquid smoke an
> "ouch"? Tastes great in my humble opinion. You could of course try
> with less, but I won't guarantee the result.
>
> As with everything it boils down to personal taste (pun intended).
> This sauce actually reminds me of the one I get at my favorite BBQ
> joint around he Louie Mueller in Taylor. I won't compare myself to
> those que magicians, but at least I can do sauce that come close to
> what they do.

I don't know about you, but I like to get the smoke taste from...SMOKE!

That's usually what *we* do around here (a.f.b).

But, if you have to cook your food in the oven and the liquid smoke tastes
OK to you, have at it.

BOB
getting ready to take a 13-1/2 pound brisket off the Stump's Smoker that's
been idling @ about 205° since about midnight with a mixture of lump
charcoal and hickory

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> On 23 Apr 2007 14:08:21 GMT, ceed wrote:
>
> > Barbecue Sauce
> >
> > 3 cups chili sauce
> > 1 teaspoon ground 5-pepper mix
> > 1 teaspoon ground ginger
> > 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> > 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> > 1 teaspoon chili powder
> > 1/4 cup liquid smoke (Pecan or Oak)
> > 1 1/2 cups good quality apple cider vinegar
> > 3 tablespoons brown sugar
> > 1 tablespoon molasses
> > 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
> > 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
> > 1 teaspoon kosher salt

> That's about 4% liquid smoke. Ouch.
>
> -sw

That, and with all that other stuff, how can you taste the meat?
<eg>

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in news:dJ9Xh.3775$np4.1578
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

> That, and with all that other stuff, how can you taste the meat?
> <eg>

So some people do not like barbeque sauce with their q. That's fine. I
tasted the meat just fine and it was great. Whether or not to use
barbeque sauce is another discussion, but as barbeque sauce goes this the
the best I've been able to make.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> Steve Wertz > wrote:
> > On 23 Apr 2007 14:08:21 GMT, ceed wrote:
> >
> > > Barbecue Sauce
> > > [recipe snipped]

> > That's about 4% liquid smoke. Ouch.

> And (without checking your math) 8% Worcestershire sauce.

scribblescribblescribble + scribble scribble ++
= scribble scribble
Would that be 24% coffee? (and cider vinegar)

> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks
> ! ! ! ~Semper Fi~

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in
:

> I don't know about you, but I like to get the smoke taste
> from...SMOKE!
>
> That's usually what *we* do around here (a.f.b).
>
> But, if you have to cook your food in the oven and the liquid smoke
> tastes OK to you, have at it.
>
> BOB
> getting ready to take a 13-1/2 pound brisket off the Stump's Smoker
> that's been idling @ about 205° since about midnight with a mixture of
> lump charcoal and hickory

I cooked my brisket in the same way you did. I had a great time and
fantastic dinner. I never do it in the oven and used oak and pecan for
smoke. I do like the taste of real smoke in my barbeque just like "*we
around here" does.

I still think this barbeque sauce is very good. If you look at the contents
of most of the pre-made sauces they contain all kinds of stuff including
liquid smoke, or as they say it: "Added smoke flavor". A lot of people use
Kraft and others, even people posting in group. I imagine the sauce recipe
I posted would be good even without the liquid smoke, but since I obviously
do not conform to what "*we* around here" prefer in all areas I'll stick
to what I, my family and friends, seems to appreciate.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

> Worcestershire is OK as it's made with meat, but not on something
> I took 18 hours to flavor otherwise ;-)

Hey, some people marinate their meat for 24 hours for flavor. They may
still use some kind of sauce on it, but I see your point.. sorta..

Btw, Worcestershire sauce also contains anchovis (about 2.3426%)...

> We sure are givin' ceed a hard time, eh? I appreciate a good BBQ
> sauce, but usually only on chicken.

Chicken is the only meat I do not use sauce on at all. I'm such a weirdo.
As long as you do not take my sauce away from me it's not a hard time..

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed > wrote:
> Steve Wertz > wrote in
> > [ . . . ]

> Chicken is the only meat I do not use sauce on at all. I'm such a weirdo.
> As long as you do not take my sauce away from me it's not a hard time..

For chicken, I like a Sriracha dip with a little bit of Thai Sweet Chili
Sauce.

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Yep - sriracha and Mae Ploy sweet chile garlic sauce. Mae Ploy
> is the best of the all, IMO. Much more flavor then the rest.
>
> I use 4:1 Sweet Chili Sauce to Sriracha for basting, dips and
> wing sauce.

A favorite sauce for general use here at the house is Tonkatsu.
http://importfood.com/sabd1001.html

We don't usually cook breaded pork cutlets, except for sandwiches, but
the stuff is really good as a baste for squid, shrimp and scallops. A
little goes a long way.

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Steve Wertz > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 23 Apr 2007 14:08:21 GMT, ceed wrote:
>>

>> That's about 4% liquid smoke. Ouch.

> Kinda hard to get real smoke mixed in...

Not at all!! In fact, here is my recipe for BBQ sauce.
Quantities are very variable:

2 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp A-1 sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp black pepper
3 square inches fat from BBQ, with black crust
1/2 cup water

Boil a while.

This indeed gets real smoke mixed in. It is inspired by the
original sauce recipe from Sammy's BBQ on Belknap in Ft. Worth.

Doug McDonald
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Doug McDonald wrote:
> ceed wrote:
>> Steve Wertz > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> On 23 Apr 2007 14:08:21 GMT, ceed wrote:
>>>

>>> That's about 4% liquid smoke. Ouch.

>> Kinda hard to get real smoke mixed in...

> Not at all!! In fact, here is my recipe for BBQ sauce.
> Quantities are very variable:
>

> 2 tbsp tamarind paste
> 1 tbsp A-1 sauce
> 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
> 3 tbsp sugar
> 1 tsp black pepper
> 3 square inches fat from BBQ, with black crust
> 1/2 cup water
>
> Boil a while.
>

> This indeed gets real smoke mixed in. It is inspired by the
> original sauce recipe from Sammy's BBQ on Belknap in Ft. Worth.
>
> Doug McDonald

Recognizing full well that the aesthetic of Liquid Smoke isn't
consistent with the Q ethos I have to tell you that you've pretty much
done little more than create LS in this recipe. It is, after all, made
by burning smokewood, right? There really isn't any substitute for
smoking meat on the pit but there are some times when a little LS,
judiciously used, can be handy.

JD
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 1, 8:28 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:02:28 -0500, Doug McDonald wrote:
> > ceed wrote:

> >> Kinda hard to get real smoke mixed in...

> > Not at all!! In fact, here is my recipe for BBQ sauce.
> > Quantities are very variable:

> > 3 square inches fat from BBQ, with black crust

> There's a place in Felton, CA that using grill scrapings in their
> BBQ sauce.
>
> <shrug> It works.
>
> -sw

I'm trying to think of the place. You remember the name Steve? And is
the food any good, I go through Felton a few times every summer when I
feel like taking the slow way back/to the coast.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Doug McDonald > wrote in news:f17kut$cqh$1
@news.ks.uiuc.edu:

> Not at all!! In fact, here is my recipe for BBQ sauce.
> Quantities are very variable:
>

> 2 tbsp tamarind paste
> 1 tbsp A-1 sauce
> 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
> 3 tbsp sugar
> 1 tsp black pepper
> 3 square inches fat from BBQ, with black crust
> 1/2 cup water
>
> Boil a while.
>

> This indeed gets real smoke mixed in. It is inspired by the
> original sauce recipe from Sammy's BBQ on Belknap in Ft. Worth.
>
> Doug McDonald

Thanks! I am going to try this one. Sounds great! Just one question: The
fat, do you just plop it in there and let it boil with the sauce? Does
it/should it dissolve?

I will also try making my recipe with the same way: Skip the liquid
smoke, and add some fat from my Q instead.

--
//ceed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JD > wrote in news:b_IZh.2840$YQ1.1753
@trndny02:

> Recognizing full well that the aesthetic of Liquid Smoke isn't
> consistent with the Q ethos I have to tell you that you've pretty much
> done little more than create LS in this recipe. It is, after all, made
> by burning smokewood, right? There really isn't any substitute for
> smoking meat on the pit but there are some times when a little LS,
> judiciously used, can be handy.

I always add a little liquid smoke when I fry bacon. At least when it's the
cheapo bacon.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Doug McDonald > wrote in news:f17kut$cqh$1
> @news.ks.uiuc.edu:
>
>> Not at all!! In fact, here is my recipe for BBQ sauce.
>> Quantities are very variable:
>>

>> 2 tbsp tamarind paste
>> 1 tbsp A-1 sauce
>> 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
>> 3 tbsp sugar
>> 1 tsp black pepper
>> 3 square inches fat from BBQ, with black crust
>> 1/2 cup water
>>
>> Boil a while.
>>

>> This indeed gets real smoke mixed in. It is inspired by the
>> original sauce recipe from Sammy's BBQ on Belknap in Ft. Worth.
>>
>> Doug McDonald
>>

> Thanks! I am going to try this one. Sounds great! Just one question: The
> fat, do you just plop it in there and let it boil with the sauce?

yes

> Does
> it/should it dissolve?

Some of the fat comes out of course. If you don't want
fatty sauce, you put it in the refrigerator until the
fat, which is of course on top, solidifies, and just scrape it off.

Doug McDonald