Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default bacon

This is just a little FWIW about bacon and a Bradley smoker. My
neighbor and I have been buying bulk bacon and using the Bradley to cold
smoke it. We begin by mixing maple syrup with water on a 50-50 basis
and dipping strips of bacon in it briefly. We then place the coated
bacon on the 8 Bradley racks- 4 up and 4 down- as if doing jerky. I
give a single puck a ten minute head start to begin smoking, the set the
timer for 20 minutes with the damper wide open. The bacon is then
removed and bagged for use. Since most bacon is cured, seasoned and
smoked as a slab, the wide open strips of bacon really absorb the smoke
quickly and it's easy to go overboard.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-03-19, Nonnymus > wrote:
> This is just a little FWIW about bacon and a Bradley smoker. My
> neighbor and I have been buying bulk bacon and using the Bradley to cold
> smoke it. We begin by mixing maple syrup with water on a 50-50 basis
> and dipping strips of bacon in it briefly. We then place the coated
> bacon on the 8 Bradley racks- 4 up and 4 down- as if doing jerky. I
> give a single puck a ten minute head start to begin smoking, the set the
> timer for 20 minutes with the damper wide open. The bacon is then
> removed and bagged for use. Since most bacon is cured, seasoned and
> smoked as a slab, the wide open strips of bacon really absorb the smoke
> quickly and it's easy to go overboard.

Thats something I'd like to try at some point (along w/ cold-smoking fish)
but I need to first jury-rig a smoker door for my Kamado so I can pipe
my smoke into the bottom draft door from another source (w/o heating the K).

Some day...

For Sky: More Bacon Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 2 12-08-2009 07:34 PM
Bacon In A Can -bwg General Cooking 40 22-06-2008 01:59 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM